Track fees being raised in the Southern California region

stone881
5/31/2022 12:40pm
OCgoon1533 wrote:
Sorry to bump an old thread but, people are losing their minds over Perris raising their gate fees $10
walent215 wrote:
Lol These tracks would not be out of line bumping fees up to $50 Why they don’t blows my mind Inflation is unreal and to think...
Lol
These tracks would not be out of line bumping fees up to $50
Why they don’t blows my mind
Inflation is unreal and to think they are able to make a profit at $30 seems ludicrous to me
I’m not swimming in $ by any means but if I was still racing I would be happy to know the tracks that offer their services to us would be making a good living and not struggling !
A day skiing costs 150 bucks now and same with a round of golf, so yeah 50 bucks is still stupid low.
SoCalMX70
5/31/2022 12:48pm
Add Lake Elsinore to the list of $40 tracks. This is another coordinated (anticompetitive?) effort, so more are on the way.

I can't complain about the price, but it will definitely sway some folks.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/31/2022 12:49pm
I saw some comments on the Perris instagram announcement. Wow, lots of clueless people.

I don't love it but $40 is more than reasonable in the climate of 2022. I'd rather this and they are making an effort to make a good track (track is sick these days) than fall off and ultimately go away.
SoCalMX70
5/31/2022 12:52pm
seth505 wrote:
I saw some comments on the Perris instagram announcement. Wow, lots of clueless people. I don't love it but $40 is more than reasonable in the...
I saw some comments on the Perris instagram announcement. Wow, lots of clueless people.

I don't love it but $40 is more than reasonable in the climate of 2022. I'd rather this and they are making an effort to make a good track (track is sick these days) than fall off and ultimately go away.
Is it still a 2 lined mud hole before and after the finish line jump? Then dusty hardpack everywhere else?

Serious question because I know they were still figuring it out awhile back and I haven't been back since April.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/31/2022 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2022 1:22pm
seth505 wrote:
I saw some comments on the Perris instagram announcement. Wow, lots of clueless people. I don't love it but $40 is more than reasonable in the...

SoCalMX70 wrote:
Is it still a 2 lined mud hole before and after the finish line jump? Then dusty hardpack everywhere else? Serious question because I know they...
Is it still a 2 lined mud hole before and after the finish line jump? Then dusty hardpack everywhere else?

Serious question because I know they were still figuring it out awhile back and I haven't been back since April.
I think it's been real good overall. There was a little bit of muc after the finish line as well but nothing crazy.

Radical
Fantasy
2360th
5/31/2022 1:28pm
With the economy the way it is, raising practice fees would cause a lot of people to practice less often.
At $30, I ride whenever I can. Raise it, along with higher rent, gas, food prices, I'd consider staying home a bit more.
For those with kids, an extra $10 per rider becomes quite a bit each month.
We need more people riding, so I'm hoping the tracks can figure out how to stay profitable and keep the fees lower.
How about running more races, and promoting them?
walent215
5/31/2022 1:37pm
The two tracks in NJ charge you 55 bucks.
Is it a quality facility with good prep that you enjoy going back to ?
hubbardmx50
5/31/2022 1:37pm
seth505 wrote:

SoCalMX70 wrote:
Is it still a 2 lined mud hole before and after the finish line jump? Then dusty hardpack everywhere else? Serious question because I know they...

Rode there last Thursday for the first time since the new group took over. No mud and track was absolutely prime. I can't think of anything the last group did better. Every corner had 2-3 good lines to choose from
Bruce372
5/31/2022 1:41pm
Bay area nor cal rates are $35-40 now.

Diesel and water are the big expenses for track owners
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
5/31/2022 1:46pm
$40 is reasonable. Yeah it sucks with gas being as much as it is and everything else. Depending on how much track time you can get, $50 isn't out of the question. However I am just paying for myself and no one else.
Richy
5/31/2022 1:51pm
Not relevant to most here, but in the UK petrol is $6.80 for a (US) Gallon of premium pump, and most tracks are $50 USD. Half of them close if it looks like it may rain even a tiny bit, even if they said the night before they'll be open, and the other half are under constant threat of closing down due to noise or karen complaints.

Honestly, it'd be sweet if it was cheaper but likewise I don't mind it, it's an eighth of the price and more fun than driving a car on a decent circuit.

That price to ride one of those sick Cali freeway tracks seems like a bargain.
cmotodad
5/31/2022 3:54pm
Come on out to Glen Helen on an afternoon and see how freeway-like it is. haha
captmoto
5/31/2022 4:06pm
Radical wrote:
With the economy the way it is, raising practice fees would cause a lot of people to practice less often. At $30, I ride whenever I...
With the economy the way it is, raising practice fees would cause a lot of people to practice less often.
At $30, I ride whenever I can. Raise it, along with higher rent, gas, food prices, I'd consider staying home a bit more.
For those with kids, an extra $10 per rider becomes quite a bit each month.
We need more people riding, so I'm hoping the tracks can figure out how to stay profitable and keep the fees lower.
How about running more races, and promoting them?
I live about 15 minutes from Glen Helen. I was riding more at State Fair as it was kind of a consideration for a riding buddy. Even if GH raises their price I will be ahead over driving to SF.
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
5/31/2022 5:24pm
I do believe the operating cost have gone up some and the increase is financially necessary to remain open. I’m good with that. I think the cost is fair even though getting my van through the gate went from $90 to $120. 33% increase. I hate the damage that is being created by our current government administration locally and nationally!

I do not agree with the track owner blaming the increase in track fees solely at fuel and Nuesom.

Here’s as thought…
Could the increase also be necessary due to mismanagement?

Brand new million gallon water truck, manicuring palm trees, storm water mitigation system consuming a large portion of the facility that is already small, etc

Another problem is inconsistencies. Saturday and Sunday get no prep / no water (Elsinore). Concrete blue grove for the 400-500 normal, paying people. Then Monday is PRO DAY! Deep rip, double till for the 5 pros and 20 Am riders. Other slower, paying riders get black flagged. Does the revenue from Saturday and Sunday pay for their IG plugs on Monday?

If New Perris is going to bock their original statement that they made saying they will not increase the price then don’t make excuses and point the blame.
Also if we are paying, we do expect and deserve, a certain amount of service to that tracks just like the pros.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
5/31/2022 6:20pm
Diesel fuel is over $6 a gallon.

It is what it is, tracks have to break even to stay open, but you better believe that people will be even more critical of prep if the track is blown out or drag prepped for $40. People won’t come back. I know I’m more critical at the current $30 per day than I was at $25.

Even though it’s the cheapest part of your ride day (vehicle fuel, bike fuel, etc.), at $40 it’s double where it was when we opened Pala in 2009. And inflation hasn’t doubled in 13 years.

If you are going to charge $40, prep better be good, Flaggers and EMT need to be present and the track better be fun.
Yeti831
5/31/2022 6:46pm
And this is why I pay $500 a year for a membership and do 20 volunteer hours per year.

I could get $30/day if the hours were 8am-6or8pm and allowed you to come/go for food and stuff, but so many places op from 7-2pm 2-3 days a week. Not worth it if I can’t ride all day.
wwoberg
5/31/2022 7:47pm
Raised in So Cal in the 70/80s. We didn't have practice days at the track. During the week we rode at Baseline or I could ride out my garage in the hills above La Verne.
Ozy
5/31/2022 10:44pm
mid 70's Saddleback and Indian Dunes were $4 or $5 for practice, neither ever got over $10 before they closed
6/1/2022 5:36am
When my dad opened his track in 1997, it was $7 to ride practice. This is in Kansas City. Now, at the 4 tracks we have in KC it's 20-40 to ride after the gate fee.

I don't bitch about the prices, because it's reasonable. If I don't have the money to pay at the more expensive tracks I just don't go. Why people complain and harass track workers about the prices, is beyond me, yet they still do it.
Richy
6/1/2022 5:46am
Same as everything, it's gotta be worth their time, or why else would you expect them to do it.
GG121
6/1/2022 6:24am
The two tracks in NJ charge you 55 bucks.
Raceway Park is $80 at the gate, $60 if you pre register
bvm111
6/1/2022 7:16am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2022 7:17am
Our local track in vegas reluctantly raised from 30 to 35 a few weeks back, i told them it surprised me they didn’t do it sooner. If this nonsense at the pump keeps up they will be at 40 by the end of the summer it’s a business and the other option is closing. I’ll happily pay 40 to ride, i don’t do off-road, I ride moto and my only other option is to drive from vegas to LACR or GH and that’s not happening anytime soon with gas as expensive as it is.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/1/2022 7:22am
bvm111 wrote:
Our local track in vegas reluctantly raised from 30 to 35 a few weeks back, i told them it surprised me they didn’t do it sooner...
Our local track in vegas reluctantly raised from 30 to 35 a few weeks back, i told them it surprised me they didn’t do it sooner. If this nonsense at the pump keeps up they will be at 40 by the end of the summer it’s a business and the other option is closing. I’ll happily pay 40 to ride, i don’t do off-road, I ride moto and my only other option is to drive from vegas to LACR or GH and that’s not happening anytime soon with gas as expensive as it is.
Is Mesquite the only track you guys have locally now?
bvm111
6/1/2022 7:55am
bvm111 wrote:
Our local track in vegas reluctantly raised from 30 to 35 a few weeks back, i told them it surprised me they didn’t do it sooner...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No the new management team closed it for the summer like two months ago, I ride Sandy Valley most weekends when i can ride just south of vegas. It’s a smaller track but it’s only about an hour from the house and it’s fun overall. Mesquite is my kryptonite track, no matter the lay out or prep i ride like a compete beginner there… but if it’s my only choice i’ll ride there anyway!
6/1/2022 8:17am
They should raise track fees to $50 or more, simply to keep the degenerate riff-raff away from these tracks.

$500 season pass. It's anywhere from $50-$75 for a bike park lift ticket at pretty much any of the West Coast ski resorts. If you can afford to load up and drive to a track, you can afford to pay extra for entry.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/1/2022 8:35am
bvm111 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
No the new management team closed it for the summer like two months ago, I ride Sandy Valley most weekends when i can ride just south...
No the new management team closed it for the summer like two months ago, I ride Sandy Valley most weekends when i can ride just south of vegas. It’s a smaller track but it’s only about an hour from the house and it’s fun overall. Mesquite is my kryptonite track, no matter the lay out or prep i ride like a compete beginner there… but if it’s my only choice i’ll ride there anyway!
I didn't realize Sandy Valley was open again. I rode there once when I lived in Henderson and enjoyed it. It was good for night practice.
SwingHard
6/1/2022 8:37am
$30-$40 for Unlimited laps on Practice days=Bargain!
$70-$100- on Race day for roughly 10-15 Total laps!
6/1/2022 8:52am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2022 8:53am
SwingHard wrote:
$30-$40 for Unlimited laps on Practice days=Bargain!
$70-$100- on Race day for roughly 10-15 Total laps!
That $70-$100 is paying for a lot of resources not necessary and not utilized during a normal practice day. Flaggers, registration and scoring staff. Gas for tractors. Tractor operators. Water. Insurance.

It is expensive to put on a race.

Post a reply to: Track fees being raised in the Southern California region

The Latest