Track etiquette

usafwx
8/23/2018 8:46pm
Jbulz wrote:
Ha. I haven't been to etown in a few years and know exactly who you're talking about. Fuck those guys
Funny how many of us all resonate with this. Lol.
mikec265
8/23/2018 8:55pm
If I don't have a track or obstacle down sometimes I ask a guy near my skill level if it's cool to follow him over a jump or whatever. I try to find someone with a little less corner speed than me, who looks in control on all the jumps.

If I know someone is faster I'll hold a tight inside line with my left hand off the bars until they go by. That way I don't get roosted and they go by safely.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
8/23/2018 9:39pm
I always give way to faster riders by holding my line and slowing in safe sections making it easier for them to get around. Once they are past, I'll go back to riding to my ability level. But as far as passing slower riders I don't mind them riding however they want to ride as long as it's safe. If they are spoding and I'm clearly faster, I'll just pull over and take a break for a minute. Remember, It's just "practice", we're talking about "practice".

What concerns me is the slower riders that are all over the track and are unpredictable with their lines, especially kids. Parents need to explain to kids about holding their line. We have a 15 year old son and I'm constantly reminding him about track etiquette and SAFETY for all riders - how to handle faster and slower people on the track. He's really good now with it, but when he was little his line choice looked like spaghetti noodles.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3824th
8/23/2018 10:46pm
You say you just cruise around until someone gets behind you. That’s annoying. You should try to ride your best even when you’re solo.

The Shop

snackfedbear
8/23/2018 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 11:18pm
Being one of the mid range guys out there during the weekdays I just want to tell you fast dudes that when someone with good etiquette takes an outside to let you by try not to roost the shit out of them. Some of us don't get tear offs for free.
8/24/2018 3:33am
Never had an issue with having a race or holding someone off, more just how it’s done. A little battle up is good, but it’s not a race day, so don’t have time for stupid passes and blocking attempts that would more suited to the last lap of a race.
8/24/2018 5:38am
Hold your line and give it all you got! As long as your not riding dangerously the riders behind you should like the challenge, shit usually goes wrong when you try to get out of the way.
8/24/2018 5:24pm
Thanks for all the replies, seems to be fairly divided. Some don't mind, some do.
My take away from this would be to stop speeding up when someone gets behind me but just try and pace them once they're by, hold my line and don't be a goon.
JB500
8/24/2018 5:47pm
Being one of the mid range guys out there during the weekdays I just want to tell you fast dudes that when someone with good etiquette...
Being one of the mid range guys out there during the weekdays I just want to tell you fast dudes that when someone with good etiquette takes an outside to let you by try not to roost the shit out of them. Some of us don't get tear offs for free.
Funny story...I’m decent, but I’m no National pro. So I was at Martin MX in Michigan and riding with some pretty fast dudes. One of the Sewells cleanly squeezed by me on an inside left, and he was on the gas so hard, so fast my vision was 100% gone. I fell right over!??. I have it on GoPro, and my wife didn’t let me live that down for a long time.

But to the OP, you are right on with your above post. When a faster rider comes by you, watch him, maybe learn some lines, and attempt to push a little harder. That will serve you, and everyone else at the track much better, and is definitely the safer option. Have fun.
kakarot
8/24/2018 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2018 7:09pm
You really need to know how to read the room at the practice track if your going to do this,and it's never truly a race it will always be practice.If you you really want to test yourself all out you need to start with a gate drop.Like so many have already said hold your line!

Post a reply to: Track etiquette

The Latest