Track etiquette

So I recently began riding at a legitimate track for the first time. I actually surprised myself at how well I was able to ride on it, but I found if its not very busy and I'm just cruising around I'm not motivated to really try.
When I have someone behind me, or if I'm behind someone I really get into it and basically try to hold them off ( without blocking them ) or try to get around them, I find that I really try and seem to be able to go alot faster.
My question is, does this bother you when someone is basically trying to race you when you're just out there to practice? Like I said I just started going to this track and I'm not jumping yet so this only lasts for a few sections of the track but I started thinking about it and wondered if it was pissing people off?
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/23/2018 4:56pm
Yes it bothers me. Had too many people try to do it and cut across me when I'm trying to go around them. It gets frustrating at times. I've had guys try to block me and I've almost landed on them because of them cutting back and forth. I eventually find a safe way around, but I won't lie, I definitely want to give them a piece of my mind. Everyone is there to have fun and put in laps safely, not have someone trying to race with them. That's what race days are for.
8/23/2018 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 5:05pm
I don’t mind dicing with people near my skill level.

But if you’re a straight novice whose putting around and then goes full Spode mode, it gets irritating. Just don’t cross over whatever the hell you do!!

just hold your line. And have fun. If you can’t get motivation you need to stop practicing. Go race C class.
DPR250R
8/23/2018 5:12pm
Just hold your line and dont hit the brakes on jump faces and you are good.

If your track has classes... find one with guys at a similar level and run it.
loftyair
8/23/2018 5:14pm
Yeah, out there for some good motos, then a guy hucks roost for 'competitive' reason. BS. Whether slower or faster, doesn't matter. Just ride, don't start sh*t.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/23/2018 5:16pm
The people who get pissed are the professional practice riders, the real reacers dont give a damn if you try to hold us off or try to pass, thats what its all about anyway. The others can all go trail ride in the woods and stay off the track if they dont like it, thats why its called a RACE TRACK. Cool
kb228
8/23/2018 5:19pm
For me it depends on what im doing. If im just trying to ride through the arm pump and get around and someones like right on my ass or trying block me i get annoyed. Or if im trying to go around someone and they block me i get annoyed. Worst one is blasting out of a turn and a 65 cuts over on me. 250lb dude bout to wreck this kid lmao
8/23/2018 5:26pm
I always enjoy when someone my same speed level gets out there right behind me or in front of me. It’s always fun to chase, and personally I think I ride better when there is someone behind me. As long as they aren’t riding like an asshole, it’s all good in my book.
plowboy
8/23/2018 5:42pm
This is a really good question. I totally enjoy dicing with people on practice days. I would never intentionally hold anyone up but if we're close to the same speed a little nod is all it takes. It's on like donkey Kong (or whatever the modern term is). I have never been able to trail ride or putt around. If I'm on the bike I'm pushing my limits always. It's just way more fun if you're dicing with someone. You can tell pretty quick if you're dealing with a dick or a spode...in those cases, I just let em go. They feel good about themselves and I don't have to go to the hospital.
TXDirt
8/23/2018 5:45pm
plowboy wrote:
This is a really good question. I totally enjoy dicing with people on practice days. I would never intentionally hold anyone up but if we're close...
This is a really good question. I totally enjoy dicing with people on practice days. I would never intentionally hold anyone up but if we're close to the same speed a little nod is all it takes. It's on like donkey Kong (or whatever the modern term is). I have never been able to trail ride or putt around. If I'm on the bike I'm pushing my limits always. It's just way more fun if you're dicing with someone. You can tell pretty quick if you're dealing with a dick or a spode...in those cases, I just let em go. They feel good about themselves and I don't have to go to the hospital.
Well put.
Stuntman949
8/23/2018 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 5:46pm
I don't care what they teach you overseas, don't crossjump. Everyone has done it on accident and I know I've done it many a time. I go out of my way to apologize to the other rider.
dimetime
8/23/2018 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 5:56pm
When l feel like you're going to eat shit in front of me, and take me with you, just so l won't pass you, it pisses me off.

Otherwise l'm down for a little hunting or being hunted.
c0ncEpT
8/23/2018 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 6:17pm
Just don't be that dick head that just pulls up behind someone in a corner, pulls the clutch in and holds it on the Rev limiter. No one likes that guy.
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
8/23/2018 6:17pm
I’m not the fastest guy out there so I just ride within my skill level so that I’m in control and not endangering anyone and I’m careful to hold my line. For me practice laps are about trying to develop skill and technique. But one of the fun aspects of it is being on the track with guys who race in faster classes and seeing up close how they ride. Once a faster rider is by, it can be fun to see how long I can hang. But I’m not going to make a nuisance of myself by trying to hold him off.
slipdog
8/23/2018 6:25pm
I'm never interested in having someone random try and race with me when I come up to pass them, but I have no issues if they try to pace me after I go past. There's a big difference.
plowboy
8/23/2018 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 6:30pm
MPJC wrote:
I’m not the fastest guy out there so I just ride within my skill level so that I’m in control and not endangering anyone and I’m...
I’m not the fastest guy out there so I just ride within my skill level so that I’m in control and not endangering anyone and I’m careful to hold my line. For me practice laps are about trying to develop skill and technique. But one of the fun aspects of it is being on the track with guys who race in faster classes and seeing up close how they ride. Once a faster rider is by, it can be fun to see how long I can hang. But I’m not going to make a nuisance of myself by trying to hold him off.
Exactly...but it's always fun to hook up with a guy on the track that will bang bars, run you in/out, basically challenge you everywhere without malice or bad intent. Rare but cool when it happens. And then get back to the pits and meet the dude and spend an hour or three bench racing. Good times.
kkawboy14
8/23/2018 6:34pm
lostboy819 wrote:
The people who get pissed are the professional practice riders, the real reacers dont give a damn if you try to hold us off or try...
The people who get pissed are the professional practice riders, the real reacers dont give a damn if you try to hold us off or try to pass, thats what its all about anyway. The others can all go trail ride in the woods and stay off the track if they dont like it, thats why its called a RACE TRACK. Cool
Agreed!
Bermworm
8/23/2018 6:42pm
Holding your line is key and of course no cross jumping.You can tell if someone wants to dice or not pretty much immediately.If they are in the courtesy is that IT IS NOT RACE DAY and it goes both ways.Whether the hare or the hound its all good but its just practice. So fun should be the number one objective. Plus thats how you get to meet and make friends to ride with. Don't know anyone who wanted to be friends with someone who took them out on a Tuesday evening while they were trying to adjust their suspension or whatever although I'm guilty of having done that myself. What can I say it's not a perfect world welcome to MX.
dirtmike86
8/23/2018 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 6:46pm
This shit just happened to me at milestone (dumbass on the 17-19 honda with red rims) saw me coming and cut right in front of me.. No big deal ill go around you. Lap back up to him.. Same f@$#ing thing! Pos. Iam more then happy to battle with someone my speed but if you are slower then try to latch on, otherwise get out of the way or stay in your line.
usafwx
8/23/2018 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 7:15pm
Eh. A certain "group" used to do this at Englishtown. Couldnt clear any of the jumps for sh*t, brand new 450s they shared, would race you down the straightaways then roll the jump in the middle, but dosent sound like what youre doing at all. That was my only pet peeve. That and the B guys trying to win C practice. Can tell I give less sh*ts these days as yesterday first day on brand new bike, waved guy past me who was faster than me, instead he rear ends my muffler and gave it a few dents. Oh well such is our sport. Old me would have been livid. Just have fun out there don't over think it or be unsafe. End rant.
8/23/2018 7:15pm
buck nutty wrote:
So I recently began riding at a legitimate track for the first time. I actually surprised myself at how well I was able to ride on...
So I recently began riding at a legitimate track for the first time. I actually surprised myself at how well I was able to ride on it, but I found if its not very busy and I'm just cruising around I'm not motivated to really try.
When I have someone behind me, or if I'm behind someone I really get into it and basically try to hold them off ( without blocking them ) or try to get around them, I find that I really try and seem to be able to go alot faster.
My question is, does this bother you when someone is basically trying to race you when you're just out there to practice? Like I said I just started going to this track and I'm not jumping yet so this only lasts for a few sections of the track but I started thinking about it and wondered if it was pissing people off?
I should clarify on the trying to hold them off, I'm not trying to keep them behind me or prevent them from passing but more so just trying to pick up my pace. Once they are by I'm trying to keep up to them and that's when I'm having the most fun.
When I get into a corner with someone and they go inside and I go out and we come out next to each other it just feels so awesome and all the hesitation and worry I have seems to go out the window and I just ride and love it.
If someone is clearly faster I just pull over to the side and get out of their way.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
8/23/2018 7:18pm
Just dont block or cross jump me and I'm good with it. But 9 times out of 10, I'm the guy in your spot.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
8/23/2018 7:22pm
If you're close in speed and skill, then it's a lot of fun to have a good battle, I'm always down for that. What is annoying is when you fly up on someone going half your speed, and then they go into full-spode defense mode and try to block you.
8/23/2018 7:25pm
I don't mind some battling during practice with guys near my level, which there is usually no more than a few A riders at a practice track near me. If I'm way faster than someone and they start riding over their head to hold me off, they are just annoying and in the way. If the track is open and there's room to pass, I'll just pass, but if the track is tighter, it's really lame and I just want them to get out of the way.
dimetime
8/23/2018 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 7:28pm
buck nutty wrote:
So I recently began riding at a legitimate track for the first time. I actually surprised myself at how well I was able to ride on...
buck nutty wrote:
I should clarify on the trying to hold them off, I'm not trying to keep them behind me or prevent them from passing but more so...
I should clarify on the trying to hold them off, I'm not trying to keep them behind me or prevent them from passing but more so just trying to pick up my pace. Once they are by I'm trying to keep up to them and that's when I'm having the most fun.
When I get into a corner with someone and they go inside and I go out and we come out next to each other it just feels so awesome and all the hesitation and worry I have seems to go out the window and I just ride and love it.
If someone is clearly faster I just pull over to the side and get out of their way.
But that's what's scary. When you pick the pace you may ride over your head and take you both down. Honestly that's the scariest shit to deal with. That and cross jumping and slammimg on the brakes at the face of a jump.

If someone catches you really fast just hold your line, let them pass and then try to stay with them. Don't try to stay in front, it's dangerous for all involved.

Shit should have read your entire post. Bold tour line and you'll be fine.
8/23/2018 7:56pm
Battle your buddies not random people who have no idea what the fuck you’re doing or thinking. I hate it when people do this shit. Most of the time, they have no business trying to go faster, which only endangers everyone around you.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/23/2018 8:05pm
I should clarify from my first post, I do enjoy some battling if we are close in speed and the guy isn’t all over the track and barely hanging on to his bike. I’m for friendly battles where you both push each other a little to get out of your normal comfort zone. Thankfully I have a few friends that I can do that with. If it’s a random dude we need to be on the same page.

The other thing that I like to do is find someone faster than me and try to pace them from a distance. I don’t want to bother the guy by riding on his rear wheel. I’ll drop back a ways and try to keep his pace.

For the most part though, I’m self motivated on the track so I don’t feel like I ever need to try and race anyone or keep anyone else’s pace. I try to work on hitting my lines perfectly, using proper technique and getting quicker as the day goes on.
SoCalMX70
8/23/2018 8:21pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
Just don't be that dick head that just pulls up behind someone in a corner, pulls the clutch in and holds it on the Rev limiter...
Just don't be that dick head that just pulls up behind someone in a corner, pulls the clutch in and holds it on the Rev limiter. No one likes that guy.
Haha, I was literally about to post this. Last guy that did it to me got brake checked and the finger. I'd rather be block passed than have some dick bouncing off their rev limiter behind me because they decided to take the line I'm in (which is typically the slower line when I'm leaving room for the fast guys).
Naanak
8/23/2018 8:28pm
usafwx wrote:
Eh. A certain "group" used to do this at Englishtown. Couldnt clear any of the jumps for sh*t, brand new 450s they shared, would race you...
Eh. A certain "group" used to do this at Englishtown. Couldnt clear any of the jumps for sh*t, brand new 450s they shared, would race you down the straightaways then roll the jump in the middle, but dosent sound like what youre doing at all. That was my only pet peeve. That and the B guys trying to win C practice. Can tell I give less sh*ts these days as yesterday first day on brand new bike, waved guy past me who was faster than me, instead he rear ends my muffler and gave it a few dents. Oh well such is our sport. Old me would have been livid. Just have fun out there don't over think it or be unsafe. End rant.
I know that certain group at etown to well. Number 30... They ride dangerously to try and not let you by and if you actually get around safely your gone.
usafwx
8/23/2018 8:32pm
Naanak wrote:
I know that certain group at etown to well. Number 30... They ride dangerously to try and not let you by and if you actually get...
I know that certain group at etown to well. Number 30... They ride dangerously to try and not let you by and if you actually get around safely your gone.
They were also the ones always wadding themselves up every weekend. Lol. Don't miss that about NJ, miss the tracks though. AZ tracks are eh. Less people but its a free for all too, A/B/C and Mini all out at the same time...and you nailed it with the once you pass them your gone and lapping them again until they're waiting for you again off the side of the track by the straight aways.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
8/23/2018 8:44pm
usafwx wrote:
Eh. A certain "group" used to do this at Englishtown. Couldnt clear any of the jumps for sh*t, brand new 450s they shared, would race you...
Ha. I haven't been to etown in a few years and know exactly who you're talking about. Fuck those guys

Post a reply to: Track etiquette

The Latest