Track build

race
12/4/2018 5:28pm
Always wondered how to make everyone happy. Figuring everybody would rather catch a down ramp than flat land ... can you build split lanes on the approach so that on a given jump the left side gets an expert level triple while the right side maybe gets an easier double. Then they merge together again after the landings.

Make the track wide enough for safe separation of the lanes until they merge back together. That way you don't have fast guys sailing over the heads of slower riders.

Anyone had luck with that?

motomojo
12/4/2018 5:47pm
soggy wrote:
damn mojo that is gorgeous,looks like you have beautiful dirt to work with as well. nice work.
Thanks
Yes very good dirt. I was amazed never figured it to be so good just a perfect mix of clay and sand but this is what really makes it nice and loamy good old fashioned hand raking of rocks.
I have hand raked the complete 1.7 miles 7 times so far and some rockier sections over 15 times.
Seems like overkill until you ride.

soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
12/4/2018 5:58pm
soggy wrote:
damn mojo that is gorgeous,looks like you have beautiful dirt to work with as well. nice work.
motomojo wrote:
Thanks Yes very good dirt. I was amazed never figured it to be so good just a perfect mix of clay and sand but this is...
Thanks
Yes very good dirt. I was amazed never figured it to be so good just a perfect mix of clay and sand but this is what really makes it nice and loamy good old fashioned hand raking of rocks.
I have hand raked the complete 1.7 miles 7 times so far and some rockier sections over 15 times.
Seems like overkill until you ride.

wow that is dedication! that has been the biggest battle for us. the dirt we have is so full of clay that a hand rake won't even break it up even a little bit. we will run the excavator teeth through sections here and there. ideally we would mend the existing soil with some sand and mulch to help keep it from compacting so much, but that's serious time and money so we will see. i've also thought about getting a couple drag rakes and weighing them down with cinder blocks or something similar and dragging those around behind the skid steer or truck, just not sure if it will do much with how hard our soil gets. a power rake attachment would be ideal. trying to convince my boss we would use it all the time for work anyway so we should get one.
motomojo
12/4/2018 6:38pm
soggy wrote:
wow that is dedication! that has been the biggest battle for us. the dirt we have is so full of clay that a hand rake won't...
wow that is dedication! that has been the biggest battle for us. the dirt we have is so full of clay that a hand rake won't even break it up even a little bit. we will run the excavator teeth through sections here and there. ideally we would mend the existing soil with some sand and mulch to help keep it from compacting so much, but that's serious time and money so we will see. i've also thought about getting a couple drag rakes and weighing them down with cinder blocks or something similar and dragging those around behind the skid steer or truck, just not sure if it will do much with how hard our soil gets. a power rake attachment would be ideal. trying to convince my boss we would use it all the time for work anyway so we should get one.
Yeah i hate rocks. My method it to rip the track let it rain on it and settle the dirt then all the rocks are left pretty much on top. Then just lightly rake them off the top not getting any deeper than the rake tines so you leave all the dirt.it's not really hard work as you are just lightly skimming the rocks off the top not digging em out of deep dirt.

I have a few places where the clay is dominant but i have about an acre or more of pure sand all in one spot.
Must have been a large lake or something for many years ages ago to have so much sand deposited in one place.
I have been able to haul enough sand to the mostly clay areas to get them easier to maintain and more consistent with the rest of the track.
And makes an easy step up pretty hard once it gets churned up deep.and loose.
I use a 10 tine cultivator with two old 5 gal fuel cans full of water on it for weight for ripping. It rips down about 8 to 10 inches and leaves a sweet carpet of dirt to roost on.

The Shop

soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
12/4/2018 6:44pm
droooling
motomojo
12/4/2018 6:51pm
soggy wrote:
droooling

Ha! yes indeed it's such a fun track flows really well. all the sections work really well together.
and most of the jumps except the one big gap are select a distance as they are all downhill.

Here's a drooler a go pro lap i forgot a friend uploaded a couple years ago.
this is the cut down 1.2 mile version.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
12/4/2018 7:08pm
looks like way too much fun! really makes me wish there wasn't snow on the ground here so i could get back to work
motomojo
12/4/2018 7:19pm
soggy wrote:
looks like way too much fun! really makes me wish there wasn't snow on the ground here so i could get back to work
I'll be looking like this pretty soon as we do get plenty of snow at 5000 Ft even in Arizona.

Post a reply to: Track build

The Latest