Toy Haulers

agn5009
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 2:52pm
My wife and I are starting to look around for a Toy Hauler. I’m sure a bunch of guys here either have one or have done some extensive research in the past. so, a little about what I’m looking for:

My truck is a 2018 Chevy Silverado rated to tow 9,200 lbs. I’m looking to keep the max weight of the camper at or below 8,000 lbs. Preferably under 30 total foot as well.

I would like to stay under $25k. We are paying cash and that’s what we’re willing to put into it.

I’ll typically be hauling 2 full size dirt bikes and a pw 50. So not much space is needed as far as the garage goes. However we may haul the golf cart from time to time. It’s a standard cart, not one of the jacked up things. We also have a 5 year old and a 10 month old. We would like to be able to sleep 4-6 people comfortably.

We have only looked at the Jayco Octane 222 in person. We weren’t impressed for a $23,000+ unit. We have searched almost every dealership within 250 miles. We’ve looked at all the available models online. We have a few we’re partial to but really haven’t ruled many out without seeing them in person. Right now we really like the Keystone Outback 240URS and the Palamino Puma. The Puma may be a little heavy though. I believe it’s around 8800 lbs loaded.

This will be our first time purchasing a camper so we’re kind of looking for advice, tips, pointers and recommendations. We are heading to an RV show next weekend in Harrisburg, PA. From what I can tell it looks to be pretty large but I’m concerned they won’t have many toy haulers.

Thanks guys!
|
49weasel
2/12/2019 5:21pm
Buy used. Let someone else take a bath.
Wade221
2/12/2019 5:24pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 5:24pm
agn5009 wrote:
My wife and I are starting to look around for a Toy Hauler. I’m sure a bunch of guys here either have one or have done...
My wife and I are starting to look around for a Toy Hauler. I’m sure a bunch of guys here either have one or have done some extensive research in the past. so, a little about what I’m looking for:

My truck is a 2018 Chevy Silverado rated to tow 9,200 lbs. I’m looking to keep the max weight of the camper at or below 8,000 lbs. Preferably under 30 total foot as well.

I would like to stay under $25k. We are paying cash and that’s what we’re willing to put into it.

I’ll typically be hauling 2 full size dirt bikes and a pw 50. So not much space is needed as far as the garage goes. However we may haul the golf cart from time to time. It’s a standard cart, not one of the jacked up things. We also have a 5 year old and a 10 month old. We would like to be able to sleep 4-6 people comfortably.

We have only looked at the Jayco Octane 222 in person. We weren’t impressed for a $23,000+ unit. We have searched almost every dealership within 250 miles. We’ve looked at all the available models online. We have a few we’re partial to but really haven’t ruled many out without seeing them in person. Right now we really like the Keystone Outback 240URS and the Palamino Puma. The Puma may be a little heavy though. I believe it’s around 8800 lbs loaded.

This will be our first time purchasing a camper so we’re kind of looking for advice, tips, pointers and recommendations. We are heading to an RV show next weekend in Harrisburg, PA. From what I can tell it looks to be pretty large but I’m concerned they won’t have many toy haulers.

Thanks guys!
Buy a toy hauler there, then turn around and take it to Motorama! ??
agn5009
2/12/2019 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 5:28pm
49weasel wrote:
Buy used. Let someone else take a bath.
We gave up on used. We’ve been keeping our eyes open for a nice one for a while but nothing has come up. I’ve seen units 2-3 years old and the seller expects only 2-3 grand less than a new one. I’ll pay a couple grand more for something brand new and has a warranty before paying a couple grand less for something used and no warranty.
agn5009
2/12/2019 5:26pm
agn5009 wrote:
My wife and I are starting to look around for a Toy Hauler. I’m sure a bunch of guys here either have one or have done...

Thanks guys!
Wade221 wrote:
Ha Motorama is actually this coming weekend. I’m taking my 5 year old. He’s really excited! The RV show is the week after.

The Shop

Wade221
2/12/2019 5:28pm
agn5009 wrote:

Thanks guys!
Wade221 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Ha Motorama is actually this coming weekend. I’m taking my 5 year old. He’s really excited! The RV show is the week after.
Oh really?! Thought it was last weekend in Feb usually? Well have fun!
OUMX117
2/12/2019 5:34pm
Look at livin lite quicksilver trailers. My wife and I looked last year and all of the other brands that we saw are very poorly constructed. We bought a 2018 24x8.5 FBA.
agn5009
2/12/2019 5:35pm
OUMX117 wrote:
Look at livin lite quicksilver trailers. My wife and I looked last year and all of the other brands that we saw are very poorly constructed...
Look at livin lite quicksilver trailers. My wife and I looked last year and all of the other brands that we saw are very poorly constructed. We bought a 2018 24x8.5 FBA.
The issues I have with the livin lite trailers is the units which are under 30 foot don’t have the bed space.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
2/12/2019 5:35pm
If your rated at 9200. Be careful buying one that is 8k.

Cargo, water, bikes & people in cab all go into that number.
OUMX117
2/12/2019 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 5:39pm
OUMX117 wrote:
Look at livin lite quicksilver trailers. My wife and I looked last year and all of the other brands that we saw are very poorly constructed...
agn5009 wrote:
The issues I have with the livin lite trailers is the units which are under 30 foot don’t have the bed space.
Ours has a full size queen bed and a couch that folds into a bed as well as a dinette that folds into a bed. Admittedly it just my wife and I and one dog when we travel. But we also can fit our 1997 Jeep wrangler on 35s inside the trailer. So it has some carrying capacity.
agn5009
2/12/2019 5:41pm
DTR830 wrote:
If your rated at 9200. Be careful buying one that is 8k.

Cargo, water, bikes & people in cab all go into that number.
Yeah, I mean I would like the camper to be around 8000 lbs fully loaded. Most toy haulers I’ve been looking at have a dry weight of 4500-6000 lbs.
2/12/2019 5:43pm
Unless you go with something like a Quicksilver, I wouldn’t buy a toy hauler bigger than 21ft if you are planning to tow it with a 1/2 ton truck. Fully loaded with water, tools, bikes, cooking supplies, bedding, etc., you need to add about 2k lbs to the weight of the trailer.
bodean123
Fantasy
2112th
2/12/2019 5:43pm
OUMX117 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
OUMX117 wrote:
Ours has a full size queen bed and a couch that folds into a bed as well as a dinette that folds into a bed. Admittedly...
Ours has a full size queen bed and a couch that folds into a bed as well as a dinette that folds into a bed. Admittedly it just my wife and I and one dog when we travel. But we also can fit our 1997 Jeep wrangler on 35s inside the trailer. So it has some carrying capacity.
We love ours! Light, well built, perfect for 2 people, a dog and a couple bikes.

agn5009
2/12/2019 5:44pm
OUMX117 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
OUMX117 wrote:
Ours has a full size queen bed and a couch that folds into a bed as well as a dinette that folds into a bed. Admittedly...
Wow that’s awesome you can fit a Jeep inside. Those livin lites are definitely great units. I’ve checked into them a lot but they just don’t meet our needs I guess. They’re a little pricey for us too. We’ve set aside $25k specifically for this purchase so we really don’t want to have to dip into our savings or take out a loan to cover the rest.
OUMX117
2/12/2019 5:45pm
agn5009 wrote:
OUMX117 wrote:
bodean123 wrote:
We love ours! Light, well built, perfect for 2 people, a dog and a couple bikes. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/12/325021/s1200_IMG_1845.jpg[/img]
We love ours! Light, well built, perfect for 2 people, a dog and a couple bikes.

agn5009
2/12/2019 5:47pm
Unless you go with something like a Quicksilver, I wouldn’t buy a toy hauler bigger than 21ft if you are planning to tow it with a...
Unless you go with something like a Quicksilver, I wouldn’t buy a toy hauler bigger than 21ft if you are planning to tow it with a 1/2 ton truck. Fully loaded with water, tools, bikes, cooking supplies, bedding, etc., you need to add about 2k lbs to the weight of the trailer.
Yeah when I look at the campers I look at the max capacity along with dry weight. The ones I’m interested in (except the puma) have are at or below 8000 at max capacity.
OUMX117
2/12/2019 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 5:54pm
agn5009 wrote:
OUMX117 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Wow that’s awesome you can fit a Jeep inside. Those livin lites are definitely great units. I’ve checked into them a lot but they just don’t...
Wow that’s awesome you can fit a Jeep inside. Those livin lites are definitely great units. I’ve checked into them a lot but they just don’t meet our needs I guess. They’re a little pricey for us too. We’ve set aside $25k specifically for this purchase so we really don’t want to have to dip into our savings or take out a loan to cover the rest.
You should be able to find a good one for that amount. Ours was right at 30k new. We really do love it. We haven’t had a single issue with ours either. And we’ve taken it on two 9 day vacations over 700 miles away from home. No matter what you end up with, it is going to be a lot of fun for you.
agn5009
2/12/2019 5:51pm
OUMX117 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Wow that’s awesome you can fit a Jeep inside. Those livin lites are definitely great units. I’ve checked into them a lot but they just don’t...
OUMX117 wrote:
You should be able to find a good one for that amount. Ours was right at 30k new. We really do love it. We haven’t had...
You should be able to find a good one for that amount. Ours was right at 30k new. We really do love it. We haven’t had a single issue with ours either. And we’ve taken it on two 9 day vacations over 700 miles away from home. No matter what you end up with, it is going to be a lot of fun for you.
We’re definitely excited. We’ll definitely use it to haul our bikes to some camp sites and such with the kids. I’m looking forward to it for my dad and I too who still rides. Being able to load up and go to a riding area will be a blast. Right now we may load the bikes into the truck, drive 2 hours, ride then head home. With the toy hauler we will be able to drive down the night before, sleep, ride all day then come home or spend the night again. It’s definitely going to be a lot of fun.
mxbrian15
2/12/2019 5:56pm
I would recommend staying away from jayco. Frame is all wood and I’ve seen a bunch of issues from friends that have recently purchased them. Go with something that is aluminum framed. Trust me, once you have water intrusion, which is almost certain over the life of a trailer, even with good maintenance, you’ll be bette off.

Also, with regards to pricing, standard rule of thumb is you can get most current year trailers for at least 20% off MSRP. Get a one year left over, and that jumps to 30-40% off MSRP. I’ve been buying trailers for a long time and have had many different brands. You just have to be willing to take your time negotiating and be willing to walk. Trust me, they make a ton off trailers and need to move them as they take up a ton of real estate. I just paid 18k for our trailer that was 28k MSRP, which is what they were asking.
agn5009
2/12/2019 6:02pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
I would recommend staying away from jayco. Frame is all wood and I’ve seen a bunch of issues from friends that have recently purchased them. Go...
I would recommend staying away from jayco. Frame is all wood and I’ve seen a bunch of issues from friends that have recently purchased them. Go with something that is aluminum framed. Trust me, once you have water intrusion, which is almost certain over the life of a trailer, even with good maintenance, you’ll be bette off.

Also, with regards to pricing, standard rule of thumb is you can get most current year trailers for at least 20% off MSRP. Get a one year left over, and that jumps to 30-40% off MSRP. I’ve been buying trailers for a long time and have had many different brands. You just have to be willing to take your time negotiating and be willing to walk. Trust me, they make a ton off trailers and need to move them as they take up a ton of real estate. I just paid 18k for our trailer that was 28k MSRP, which is what they were asking.
Using a site like RVTrader I’ve noticed they have MSRP listed on there at a crazy number then they’ll have their price as being say $25,000. Should I be getting 20% off of that number?

Here’s an example.

https://www.lerchrv.com/rvs-for-sale/2019-Keystone-Outback-Ultra-lite-1…

Should I be asking for much more off than that?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/12/2019 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 6:20pm
As mentioned over If you buy a toy hauler make sure it’s got an aluminum frame otherwise they are junk. The Hyperlite XLR series have aluminum structures and look great too. There are a few others made out of aluminum.

Look at the 19HFS and 24HFS.

I think that Outback has an aluminum frame..I liked that one too..

Also look at the Riverside Mt McKinley 827 toy hauler as it is aluminum caged and price is good
captmoto
2/12/2019 6:13pm
Keep in mind that all the manufacturers lie or more kindly, fudge their weight and cargo claims. Most of the weights are without batteries, propane cylinders, awning, jacks, AC and so on. Use an equalizing hitch when you tow and weigh your trailer before and after you load it. You will be pretty surprised. Keep in mind water goes 8.5 lbs. per gallon and can eat up lots of cargo carrying capacity.
agn5009
2/12/2019 6:14pm
Brad460 wrote:
As mentioned over If you buy a toy hauler make sure it’s got an aluminum frame otherwise they are junk. The Hyperlite XLR series have aluminum...
As mentioned over If you buy a toy hauler make sure it’s got an aluminum frame otherwise they are junk. The Hyperlite XLR series have aluminum structures and look great too. There are a few others made out of aluminum.

Also look at the Riverside Mt McKinley 827 toy hauler as it is aluminum caged and price is good
They seem to be a little out of my price range at 30k plus.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/12/2019 6:50pm
Brad460 wrote:
As mentioned over If you buy a toy hauler make sure it’s got an aluminum frame otherwise they are junk. The Hyperlite XLR series have aluminum...

agn5009 wrote:
I am seeing 19HFS’s for lower $20k..Check out that Riverside 827.
OldPro277
2/12/2019 6:51pm
AGN-- this may be of interest to you. My daughter and son-in-law are planning on selling their 2017 Hyperlite XLR 27HFS. It has a slide out, Onan generator, garage fully set up for bikes, awnings, fancy lighting package, actually all the optional packages. I believe they paid $ 43,000 for it. They used it about 4 times ,he tore his ACL and probably wont race till mid summer. However in the meantime , I have bought a 35' Outlaw motorhome for my Vintage races and he went with me to MidOhio and was really digging the convenience of having an "all in one" driver, so he wants one of those or similar. Anyway, He towed the Hyperlite with a new Tundra loaded with 3 bikes, water/tools/fuel etc. with absolutely zero issues. I think the dry weight of it is 5728, Some components are still under the factory warranty. And I'm pretty sure he'll take less than 30k. Also, we are located about 30 miles NE of Pittsburgh, not too far from you
racerx217
2/12/2019 7:40pm
They are all junk, have been down that road a few times with new ones. Either buy a ATC or a VRV and spend the coin or buy a really good extended warranty and expect it to be back at the shop where you got it. So buy close to home. Have had 2 fun finders and have had one xlr27hfs and now we are on to just camping in a enclosed trailer. Much easier, cheaper and no problems...
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
2/12/2019 9:20pm
racerx217 wrote:
They are all junk, have been down that road a few times with new ones. Either buy a ATC or a VRV and spend the coin...
They are all junk, have been down that road a few times with new ones. Either buy a ATC or a VRV and spend the coin or buy a really good extended warranty and expect it to be back at the shop where you got it. So buy close to home. Have had 2 fun finders and have had one xlr27hfs and now we are on to just camping in a enclosed trailer. Much easier, cheaper and no problems...
Negative Nancy ??

agn5009
2/12/2019 10:13pm
Brad460 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Brad460 wrote:
I am seeing 19HFS’s for lower $20k..Check out that Riverside 827.
I’ve only found 7 19HFS models in the United States. Mostly in Texas and Oklahoma. I’m from PA. Prices range from $24k to $31k. I can’t seem to find any of the Riverside 827’s anywhere remotely close either. I probably just suck at searching for these things.
agn5009
2/12/2019 10:15pm
OldPro277 wrote:
AGN-- this may be of interest to you. My daughter and son-in-law are planning on selling their 2017 Hyperlite XLR 27HFS. It has a slide out...
AGN-- this may be of interest to you. My daughter and son-in-law are planning on selling their 2017 Hyperlite XLR 27HFS. It has a slide out, Onan generator, garage fully set up for bikes, awnings, fancy lighting package, actually all the optional packages. I believe they paid $ 43,000 for it. They used it about 4 times ,he tore his ACL and probably wont race till mid summer. However in the meantime , I have bought a 35' Outlaw motorhome for my Vintage races and he went with me to MidOhio and was really digging the convenience of having an "all in one" driver, so he wants one of those or similar. Anyway, He towed the Hyperlite with a new Tundra loaded with 3 bikes, water/tools/fuel etc. with absolutely zero issues. I think the dry weight of it is 5728, Some components are still under the factory warranty. And I'm pretty sure he'll take less than 30k. Also, we are located about 30 miles NE of Pittsburgh, not too far from you
Thanks, I would possibly be interested in that if it’s the right price.
2/12/2019 10:24pm
I think there are pros and cons to either a toy hauler or regular trailer.

I personally would never buy a toy hauler that is not big enough to have a separate garage. If your toy hauler is only 27 feet long or something like that, the bikes are with you in the trailer, which means you have to take them out every night to use all the space/beds. That might be fine if you are going somewhere strictly to ride, but if you want to use it on vacations where you are only riding periodically, it is a total pain. (For example, we did a 3 week trip last Fall and only rode 4 days total). Plus if a bike leaks fuel or oil, you have to deal with that. Going to bed smelling gas is no fun. We have a long-bed truck and a 27 foot travel trailer. I can easily get 3 bikes in the truck, one sits on the front of the trailer. Gear goes inside the trailer. Downside to this route is there is less security as bikes are in truck (I loop a chain through and stay out bad areas as much as possible!), and they are out in the elements if it rains. However, I don't have to take them out of the trailer every night, and a regular RV is WAY cheaper than a toy hauler, and lighter too so easier to tow. And if no separate garage on the toy hauler, you have to park the bikes somewhere overnight, so maybe the security issue is a wash. Just my 2 cents.
agn5009
2/13/2019 1:30am
I think there are pros and cons to either a toy hauler or regular trailer. I personally would never buy a toy hauler that is not...
I think there are pros and cons to either a toy hauler or regular trailer.

I personally would never buy a toy hauler that is not big enough to have a separate garage. If your toy hauler is only 27 feet long or something like that, the bikes are with you in the trailer, which means you have to take them out every night to use all the space/beds. That might be fine if you are going somewhere strictly to ride, but if you want to use it on vacations where you are only riding periodically, it is a total pain. (For example, we did a 3 week trip last Fall and only rode 4 days total). Plus if a bike leaks fuel or oil, you have to deal with that. Going to bed smelling gas is no fun. We have a long-bed truck and a 27 foot travel trailer. I can easily get 3 bikes in the truck, one sits on the front of the trailer. Gear goes inside the trailer. Downside to this route is there is less security as bikes are in truck (I loop a chain through and stay out bad areas as much as possible!), and they are out in the elements if it rains. However, I don't have to take them out of the trailer every night, and a regular RV is WAY cheaper than a toy hauler, and lighter too so easier to tow. And if no separate garage on the toy hauler, you have to park the bikes somewhere overnight, so maybe the security issue is a wash. Just my 2 cents.
There are a lot of benefits to a toy hauler. Benefits which suit my needs/wants. I don’t need a camper with bells and whistles. I want something to haul my toys (dirt bikes, bicycles, kayaks, golf cart, etc), something to use the bathroom/shower and somewhere to sleep with heat and AC.

And I agree on the separate garage. I would love to have one which is why I like the Outback 240URS so much. However, from what I gather I could pull my bikes ahead of the rear beds and into the kitchen area at night so I don’t have to leave them outside. I don’t know, it’s such a hard decision with so many options. I do know I don’t want a regular camper though. A toy hauler is what I want.

Post a reply to: Toy Haulers

The Latest