Toughest rider of all time?

wide open wally
Fantasy
3824th
12/7/2015 4:53pm
TP and Reedy. Reed has had some good ones but his shoulder separations were no joke, and Detroit 08 was another good one. Two broken scapulae!
Paul333
12/7/2015 4:57pm
Paul333 wrote:
Jeff Stanton comes to mind.

It's another of those questions I cannot answer with one rider. I can only make a 8-12 rider list.
lostboy819 wrote:
What made you say Stanton ? not that there is a right or wrong answer.
He always man handled the bike, rode hard no matter what, trained like a mad man.

I would not say he was the "Toughest" I mentioned him him because no one else had. He would make my 10-15 rider list for toughest ever for sure.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
12/7/2015 5:42pm
Honestly, has there ever been a pro that was a wuss? Impossible. My heart tells me Doug Henry but I have never seen anyone take spills like JS and shake em off. He is either made of rubber or is one tough bastard.

The Shop

wreckitrandy
12/7/2015 7:30pm
Bigfoot wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/07/114318/s1200_decoster.jpg[/img] "Coming into the ’78 season, as I was practicing and testing in February, I crashed and ended up losing my spleen. The injury was a...

"Coming into the ’78 season, as I was practicing and testing in February, I crashed and ended up losing my spleen. The injury was a bit scary. My spleen actually exploded into five pieces. At the time of the crash I’m thinking ‘What’s happening here? Am I going to make it?’ And I could feel myself going away (as in possibly death). Luckily I was with Sylvain Geboers, who was practicing with me at this local track, which also holds a big race every year. It’s in the town of Mol, Belgium. Sylvain was good friends with the head surgeon of the local hospital. I told Sylvain ‘I think I’m having a problem internally’. On the outside of my body there was not a scratch. I told him we should go to the hospital because I’m feeling very strange. I felt as though I was going to pass out. I got into the van, and crawled on the floor. Sylvain started driving right away …. we left the bikes there at the track. It was around lunch time, and as I said, Sylvain was good friends with the surgeon. So Sylvain stopped at the guy’s home, because he knew that he would be there eating lunch. Sure enough, the surgeon was home eating his lunch. So he jumped into the van with us, and started checking me out. He said it’s a good thing we stopped by, or I wouldn’t of made it."

"We got to the hospital, and they started to pump blood into me. The hospital staff had a hard time getting blood into me quick enough. I had one blood pouch connected into each arm, and the last thing I remember seeing is one doctor and one nurse squeezing a bag into each arm because I was losing so much blood internally. Apparently, my heart stopped, and they had to give me an adrenalin injection directly into my heart. Of course, I was really happy when I finally woke up.
I think he came back and won a GP that year.... That's pretty tough.
shmoo
Fantasy
255th
12/7/2015 8:07pm
Carmichael was resilient. He had crashes like JS7 but always walked away from them and almost always got back on the bike.
Yeah it was like RC was made of rubber or something, he seemed to be back on his feet before you were finished gasping.
Definitely. And he'd go even faster, probably because he was pissed off at himself!
This aspect of RC's greatness was under-appreciated at the time.

Post a reply to: Toughest rider of all time?

The Latest