Toughest rider of all time?

12/4/2015 6:39am
The handlebar being bent on that magoo pic is so spectacular that most people dont see that he has no left foot peg, either.
WeiserGuy
12/4/2015 8:37am
Thinkin alike UpTiTe.

After I watched the 82' Anaheim race today I was going to post Darrell Shultz! On one of the internet radio shows DeCoster said he was the toughest rider he was ever around, and what The Man says is gospel. I also recall other riders making the same claim. As I watched the 82 Anaheim race I cringed when Shultz got bucked in the whoops knowing he had knee problems. Then on the last lap he comes out of now where to pass O Show only to blow off the track a couple turns later..

Penton also gets my vote. The guy rode his race bike to the races in a time that saw him race Harleys, BSA and BMW in enduro races. He destroyed his body and still to this day has more go than guys half his age.
gt80rider
12/4/2015 8:43am
Vegas wrote:
Hughes duct taping his broken leg and then doing the second moto

Lusk was also a tough mfer
My vote goes for yogi too. Damn he raced sooo many times with terrible injuries, one tough dude for sure.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
12/4/2015 9:06am
Ryno or Pastrana
in Europe probably Herlings or Bobby

The Shop

12/4/2015 10:19am
From what I understand weston peick raced this year with a blown out knee. That's gotta count for something
James has been doing that for the better part of 3 years
12/4/2015 10:26am
There is no one tougher than TC...

The guy is unreal and to break your bake and comeback to compete for wins is a serious show of fortitude and mental toughness.

Paul333
12/4/2015 10:34am
Jeff Stanton comes to mind.

It's another of those questions I cannot answer with one rider. I can only make a 8-12 rider list.
RG95
12/4/2015 10:37am
What about Chad Reed?
brimx153
12/4/2015 10:49am
From what I understand weston peick raced this year with a blown out knee. That's gotta count for something
James has been doing that for the better part of 3 years
MC did it nearly all his life
h&m_cycle
12/4/2015 11:43am
Guys had to be tough back then... no candy ass lounge for a shower and IV between motos...

Gennady Moiseev makes John Wayne look like a insert word here...

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
12/4/2015 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2015 4:45pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Darrell Shultz!!!!!! Dude checked out of the hospital with a punctured lung, and with a tube hanging out raced that weekend and checked back into the...
Darrell Shultz!!!!!!

Dude checked out of the hospital with a punctured lung, and with a tube hanging out raced that weekend and checked back into the hosptal. He had to be carried on and off his bike in the last race of the year because his knee was so bad and scored enough points to win the title. Nobody was tougher.
Rich Piano wrote:
Hard to beat that story. Sheesh.
Solid coming from DeCoster, a tough SOB in his own right (almost died).

"Darrell Schultz was our guy in the open class, and he won that title. He had a very bad knee. He had so much play in his knee that at times he could barely stand. We were very worried about him, especially towards the end of the year when he was in it for the championship. I remember him saying ‘Rog, don’t worry, I’m going to win’. He had such a strong mind, and was able to take pain so well. I tell you, that guy had character. It took sheer will-power for him to win under those circumstances. We won three out of the four championships that year."

http://supercross.com/roger-decoster-interview-covering-1971-thru-2001/
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/4/2015 4:54pm
Paul333 wrote:
Jeff Stanton comes to mind.

It's another of those questions I cannot answer with one rider. I can only make a 8-12 rider list.
What made you say Stanton ? not that there is a right or wrong answer.
Mia
12/4/2015 5:01pm

Bowers. Lets see anyone ride a set of ax whoops two days after getting this installed, and still win the championship after the points reset . Plate and 6 screws
Mia
12/4/2015 5:05pm

Bowers
wreckitrandy
12/4/2015 6:02pm
The answer to this question and, every other question you may have about motocross, is RC. Mangles his foot, wins both motos. Poops his pants, wins both motos. You could go on and on. Lots of tough guys on the list but, did they endure their misery and win both motos?
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
12/4/2015 6:08pm
What about Fevrae(sp) I mean, didn't he do the same as Magoo and win the race? Not saying he is the toughest,just saying he's up there...
bd
12/4/2015 8:38pm
* Magoo
* db
* Henry
* Hughes
* Canard - lost father and found him as a child, (2) broken femurs, broken collar bone, (2) broken arms, (1) broken back. Never quit and gets after it. Canard is the toughest rider on the circuit ---- BAR NONE!
12/5/2015 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2015 12:09pm
The answer to this question and, every other question you may have about motocross, is RC. Mangles his foot, wins both motos. Poops his pants, wins...
The answer to this question and, every other question you may have about motocross, is RC. Mangles his foot, wins both motos. Poops his pants, wins both motos. You could go on and on. Lots of tough guys on the list but, did they endure their misery and win both motos?
Pfft. I almost pooped my pants once trying to ride like RC. I never won shit though Dizzy .
12/7/2015 10:48am
lostboy819 wrote:
Racing with a neck brace is pretty hardcore.B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/04/113751/s1200_JAMMEROAK.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/04/113752/s1200_PaddleTire1.jpg[/img]
Racing with a neck brace is pretty hardcore.Cool

not to mention the hooker that got him desqualified
Bigfoot
12/7/2015 11:10am

"Coming into the ’78 season, as I was practicing and testing in February, I crashed and ended up losing my spleen. The injury was a bit scary. My spleen actually exploded into five pieces. At the time of the crash I’m thinking ‘What’s happening here? Am I going to make it?’ And I could feel myself going away (as in possibly death). Luckily I was with Sylvain Geboers, who was practicing with me at this local track, which also holds a big race every year. It’s in the town of Mol, Belgium. Sylvain was good friends with the head surgeon of the local hospital. I told Sylvain ‘I think I’m having a problem internally’. On the outside of my body there was not a scratch. I told him we should go to the hospital because I’m feeling very strange. I felt as though I was going to pass out. I got into the van, and crawled on the floor. Sylvain started driving right away …. we left the bikes there at the track. It was around lunch time, and as I said, Sylvain was good friends with the surgeon. So Sylvain stopped at the guy’s home, because he knew that he would be there eating lunch. Sure enough, the surgeon was home eating his lunch. So he jumped into the van with us, and started checking me out. He said it’s a good thing we stopped by, or I wouldn’t of made it."

"We got to the hospital, and they started to pump blood into me. The hospital staff had a hard time getting blood into me quick enough. I had one blood pouch connected into each arm, and the last thing I remember seeing is one doctor and one nurse squeezing a bag into each arm because I was losing so much blood internally. Apparently, my heart stopped, and they had to give me an adrenalin injection directly into my heart. Of course, I was really happy when I finally woke up.
Bluelion
12/7/2015 11:19am
Joel Robert, it takes a tough guy to drink, chain smoke, and bone women all night the way he did back in the day and show...
Joel Robert, it takes a tough guy to drink, chain smoke, and bone women all night the way he did back in the day and show up hung over just before the gate dropped and smoke the other riders by over a minute for two 45 minute (plus two laps) motos on a POS air cooled Suzuki with 4 inches of suspension travel.
Adolf Weil.
Jaroslav Falta.
And Race to to a win with a snaped frame then do stopies in the pits on a Rokon....Bone some more women before the second moto...LOL

fidiot
12/7/2015 11:36am
Weston Peick sure was tough in 2015. Raced after breaking his foot and having it plated, then rebroke it. Messed up his knee, can't remember what else.

Bowers racing 2 days after having his collarbone plated is pretty tough.
dak446
12/7/2015 12:24pm
There is no one tougher than TC... The guy is unreal and to break your bake and comeback to compete for wins is a serious show...
There is no one tougher than TC...

The guy is unreal and to break your bake and comeback to compete for wins is a serious show of fortitude and mental toughness.

Tough to argue that one. He's up there, for sure.

Post a reply to: Toughest rider of all time?

The Latest