Tough block fix

3/5/2018 4:06pm
yz133rider wrote:
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after...
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after all its their fault for misjudging while navigating a freaking gnarly sx track with other riders at race pace. .. Screw them they should die for misjudging by a couple inches lets never make a safety improvement.
Great idea. Guarantee that would increase viewership.
3/5/2018 4:07pm
The best racers in the world will always push the edge and get hurt. Literally in this case.
yz133rider
3/5/2018 4:11pm
yz133rider wrote:
No data? Did u see bowers peick or ferrandis all almost die from brushing against it?
Sully wrote:
You want to sway people to your ideas? Avoid the hyperbole. No one "almost died" in Atlanta. Yes there were some broken bones, but no one...
You want to sway people to your ideas? Avoid the hyperbole. No one "almost died" in Atlanta. Yes there were some broken bones, but no one was LifeFlighted out of the stadium. No one is currently in ICU on ventilators. No one "almost died."

As to your original post, I see it as having two potential solutions: don't ride so close to the Tuff Blocks, or, go with the triangular design someone posted earlier. I really like the triangular idea, because they could actually make the taller and fit bigger sponsor signage on them, which I'm sure the sponsors would be all for.
Lol all three of their wrecks were bad. Discount that as you will i suppose. Whatever.
MXMattii
3/5/2018 4:11pm
NATEP231 wrote:
Euros have their shit figured out. Just imagine filling with air or collapsing and using 1/4 of the semi trailer space for travel :whistle: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/05/247587/s1200_9696BB3B_D361_47C3_AF70_FF37995CF983.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/05/247588/s1200_2A285E2E_F3C9_40C7_B055_A8CA9AC0BC22.jpg[/img]...
Euros have their shit figured out. Just imagine filling with air or collapsing and using 1/4 of the semi trailer space for travel Whistling

Indeed I'm also more a fan on the French air filled tough blocks. They are also only used in French SX Tour races, pity because races like the British Arenacross, ADAC SX and others would also benefit by using this kind of airbag tough blocks.

I searched a while and it seems that the French firm: SCURB is their supplier. Personally I think that this kind is more forgiving that the ones in the USA or in other Supercross and Arenacross. But if we really wanna know we need the opinion of guys like Soubeyras, Irsuti, Izoird and others. But I remember a crash from Wil Hahn in Bercy (can't find a video from it) that he got saved by the airbag though blocks!

The Shop

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/5/2018 4:31pm
After listening to Main Event Moto from this weekend I'm with Daniel Blair on this one. I'm also looking forward to what knee jerk reaction will be the flavor of the week after Daytona.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/5/2018 5:05pm
DonM wrote:
Oh boy here we go again....every week it's a new "we need to fix this" line of crap and its the usual suspects that bring this...
Oh boy here we go again....every week it's a new "we need to fix this" line of crap and its the usual suspects that bring this shit up...whatever happened to the first turn crash crusade from a few weeks ago...any resolution to that??...didn't think so...I don't know what half you people would do if you didn't have something to complain about...

friggin just wrap everyone in bubble wrap and call it a day...FFS
I would normally agree with this, but there must've been something about the angle of the triple after the corner or something that caused multiple people to have similar crashes. 1 time sure but 3 different people?
tcallahan707
3/5/2018 6:02pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If they were gone the riders would push the track even more. Cheating the track trying to gain an advantage. There is a point on the...
If they were gone the riders would push the track even more. Cheating the track trying to gain an advantage. There is a point on the edge that the edge would collapse under the stress of the bike and rider. That collapse would injure the rider also.

They are there for a reason.
They literally do this all day long at test tracks. If you went wide enough to make the edge collapse, you'd be an idiot because you'd never have a chance at getting the height required to make the landing.
Sully
3/5/2018 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2018 11:09pm
yz133rider wrote:
No data? Did u see bowers peick or ferrandis all almost die from brushing against it?
Sully wrote:
You want to sway people to your ideas? Avoid the hyperbole. No one "almost died" in Atlanta. Yes there were some broken bones, but no one...
You want to sway people to your ideas? Avoid the hyperbole. No one "almost died" in Atlanta. Yes there were some broken bones, but no one was LifeFlighted out of the stadium. No one is currently in ICU on ventilators. No one "almost died."

As to your original post, I see it as having two potential solutions: don't ride so close to the Tuff Blocks, or, go with the triangular design someone posted earlier. I really like the triangular idea, because they could actually make the taller and fit bigger sponsor signage on them, which I'm sure the sponsors would be all for.
yz133rider wrote:
Lol all three of their wrecks were bad. Discount that as you will i suppose. Whatever.
I'm not discounting the crashes, I'm discounting you playing them up for drama. They were all bad crashes, but none of them "almost died," or even came close.

Edited: I mistook yz133rider as the original thread poster. For that, I apologize.
yz133rider
3/5/2018 6:17pm
I actually didnt even start the thread or come up with the idea...
Johnny Depp
3/5/2018 6:30pm
Making light of the degree of the injuries doesn't prove anything other than Feld got lucky. Let someone get killed, and see what happens in the mainstream press when 3 riders had the same incident. The idea is not to wait until it happens and then respond, it's called negligence.
YamahaJT1
3/5/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2018 6:35pm
Wow.

In the spirit of Atlanta, they were remiss in NOT planting "Peach Saplings" around the perimeter of the track. Marketing opportunity lost. They should have had a dangling "Peach Grab", whereupon the rider who could get highest around that triple and grab the dangling fruit off a flag pole gets gate pick.

Damned stupid. Ride within the confines of the track and ability. Ya wanna push it? The course was clearly laid out. Some went too far ... And paid the price.
King KTM
3/5/2018 9:49pm
Racer111 wrote:
The easiest tough block fix is don’t go super wide where you have the chance of catching one with a peg. Every occurrence this weekend was...
The easiest tough block fix is don’t go super wide where you have the chance of catching one with a peg. Every occurrence this weekend was rider error. End of story.

Exactly right Racer. If you move them over 6 inches they will use the 6 inches, if you take them off the face they will jump off the side and risk more injury, if you put something else there they will hit it as well. I didn’t see a single tuff block jump on a riders bike by its self.
make1go
3/5/2018 9:58pm
yz133rider wrote:
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after...
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after all its their fault for misjudging while navigating a freaking gnarly sx track with other riders at race pace. .. Screw them they should die for misjudging by a couple inches lets never make a safety improvement.
These guys would tell you they eat nails for breakfast they are so caught up in a tough guy image.
Ted722
3/5/2018 10:18pm
I really think it's just a name thing. Change the name tuff block to safer barrier. Gives you a whole new perspective, doesn't it? Relax. Breathe. Let Go.
Awood
Fantasy
4211th
3/5/2018 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2018 10:50am
yz133rider wrote:
Who are they saving on the leading face of a triple out of a corner thats the point everyone seems to be missing. Its not in...
Who are they saving on the leading face of a triple out of a corner thats the point everyone seems to be missing. Its not in the middle of a rhythm section where they get out of shape and rag doll into it. Its the leading face of a triple im talking about. Do you get that?
Johnny Depp
3/6/2018 6:04am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2018 6:04am
If it wasn't predictable, we wouldn't have this thread.

B3. Race Director

a. Ensure the racecourse is suitable and discontinue race activity if conditions become unacceptable.

B4. Clerk of the Course

d. The Clerk of the Course must assist the Race Director in the preparation and/or maintenance of the course before and during the meeting.

yz133rider
3/6/2018 6:13am
yz133rider wrote:
Who are they saving on the leading face of a triple out of a corner thats the point everyone seems to be missing. Its not in...
Who are they saving on the leading face of a triple out of a corner thats the point everyone seems to be missing. Its not in the middle of a rhythm section where they get out of shape and rag doll into it. Its the leading face of a triple im talking about. Do you get that?
Awood wrote:
Was that even a triple out of a corner in the other lane or was it the end of a rhythm?
yz133rider
3/6/2018 6:14am
If it wasn't predictable, we wouldn't have this thread. B3. Race Director a. Ensure the racecourse is suitable and discontinue race activity if conditions become unacceptable...
If it wasn't predictable, we wouldn't have this thread.

B3. Race Director

a. Ensure the racecourse is suitable and discontinue race activity if conditions become unacceptable.

B4. Clerk of the Course

d. The Clerk of the Course must assist the Race Director in the preparation and/or maintenance of the course before and during the meeting.

Bingo. If one dude did it sure its an anomaly. But 4? Some things up there. Dylan ferrandis seasons over.
.kyle
3/6/2018 6:33am
twotwosix wrote:
If they truly cared about rider safety, they would use these in the first corners and on all jump faces. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/05/247610/s1200_26659_2_l.jpg[/img]
If they truly cared about rider safety, they would use these in the first corners and on all jump faces.

lumpy790 wrote:
How does that feel when you land on top of it and it is poking through your body into the ground with zero preventative cushion. How...
How does that feel when you land on top of it and it is poking through your body into the ground with zero preventative cushion.

How about just putting 3 foot steel stakes to hold every tuff block like they used to?
Land on top of it? twotwosix said jump faces, not jump landings.

I'm surprised they don't use those plastic markers. If not plastic then maybe a foam/rubber version to be extra safe.

Failing track markers, just get all the riders to wear a Zorb ball. Sorted.
kpowers420
3/6/2018 8:12am
Sponsors dollars talk baby. Feld getting paid and the riders getting slayed.
newmann
3/6/2018 8:44am
Hey kids, this topic comes up year after year after year. Take this one from 2010, read it and pay attention.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Tuff-block-covers,850650…

Then fast forward to 2012

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Fix-the-Fucking-Tuff-Blo…

Here we are in 2018 discussing triangular, inflatable track markers. Same dumb shit, same dumb excuses,
Asimo
3/6/2018 9:17am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2018 9:21am
newmann wrote:
Hey kids, this topic comes up year after year after year. Take this one from 2010, read it and pay attention. https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Tuff-block-covers,850650?exclusive_forum_user=false&page=1 Then fast forward to...
Hey kids, this topic comes up year after year after year. Take this one from 2010, read it and pay attention.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Tuff-block-covers,850650…

Then fast forward to 2012

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Fix-the-Fucking-Tuff-Blo…

Here we are in 2018 discussing triangular, inflatable track markers. Same dumb shit, same dumb excuses,
How about local tire joint just donates a bunch of used tires to stick on steel stakes like back in the day.
They could put a banner on each one for the tire shop and banners in between. Seemed to work fine. Same for snow fence.

TDeath21
3/6/2018 9:33am
Tough blocks are there for safety reasons. They help the rider 99.99% of the time. For instance, a rider like James Stewart would have missed several more races due to injury if they were hay bales instead. All the time we see tough blocks soften the fall and prevent riders from going into oncoming traffic. Four times in this past race we saw riders pushing too hard and got caught up in some on the face of a triple. I am guessing at least twenty other times on the same night they prevented catastrophe. And at least twenty times every other night without those four incidents described. Riders push hard to gain time. This results in them pushing too wide off the face of the jump sometimes.
DonM
3/6/2018 9:37am
TDeath21 wrote:
Tough blocks are there for safety reasons. They help the rider 99.99% of the time. For instance, a rider like James Stewart would have missed several...
Tough blocks are there for safety reasons. They help the rider 99.99% of the time. For instance, a rider like James Stewart would have missed several more races due to injury if they were hay bales instead. All the time we see tough blocks soften the fall and prevent riders from going into oncoming traffic. Four times in this past race we saw riders pushing too hard and got caught up in some on the face of a triple. I am guessing at least twenty other times on the same night they prevented catastrophe. And at least twenty times every other night without those four incidents described. Riders push hard to gain time. This results in them pushing too wide off the face of the jump sometimes.
I see what you did there....Woohoo
KBOLTZ
3/6/2018 8:27pm
All this tough block ranting got me thinking.

I agree that this past weekend was an extreme situation with the amount of riders that encountered the same type of crash in the same location... that is not a coincidence. I am also in agreement that if you don’t want to get caught up with a tough block then don’t run the edge of the track but when pushing that hard sometimes shit happens.

Weather it was rider error this past weekend or the fast line just pushed towards the edge of the track, I believe there is something that could make this safer for all the riders in the future.

My proposed idea is to use a triangulated tough block on the lips of the triples or bigger takeoffs. This would allow riders to hug the edge of the track and even touch the edge of a block with their tire without catching a peg. The square edges and flat faces on rectangle blocks cause pegs/boots to snag relatively easy. I made up some quick renders of what it could look like below. I’m not saying that riders wouldn’t snag but I definitely think it would be wayyyy less. Would like to hear opinions on weather this would work or not.

KBOLTZ
3/6/2018 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2018 8:48pm
I see now that someone already had the triangle idea... but at least you now have some imagery to go with it. Oops!
yz133rider
3/6/2018 8:50pm
KBOLTZ wrote:
All this tough block ranting got me thinking. I agree that this past weekend was an extreme situation with the amount of riders that encountered the...
All this tough block ranting got me thinking.

I agree that this past weekend was an extreme situation with the amount of riders that encountered the same type of crash in the same location... that is not a coincidence. I am also in agreement that if you don’t want to get caught up with a tough block then don’t run the edge of the track but when pushing that hard sometimes shit happens.

Weather it was rider error this past weekend or the fast line just pushed towards the edge of the track, I believe there is something that could make this safer for all the riders in the future.

My proposed idea is to use a triangulated tough block on the lips of the triples or bigger takeoffs. This would allow riders to hug the edge of the track and even touch the edge of a block with their tire without catching a peg. The square edges and flat faces on rectangle blocks cause pegs/boots to snag relatively easy. I made up some quick renders of what it could look like below. I’m not saying that riders wouldn’t snag but I definitely think it would be wayyyy less. Would like to hear opinions on weather this would work or not.

I like it a lot. Maybe round the front a bit but its a massive improvement i would think.

Post a reply to: Tough block fix

The Latest