Total shoulder replacement

DG 125 Racer
Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 8:54pm
Anyone here riding after a TOTAL shoulder replacement? If so, what issues do you have with range of motion or durability of the hardware?

Thanks in advance.?
|
50dippin
4/19/2019 11:10pm
Guy I work with got one last year. He has severe limits on range of motion, pain and not likely that he would ever ride a bike.
Patrick461
4/19/2019 11:40pm
I’ve got a knee replacement. A lot of guys say they ride with them But as far as shoulder replacements the guys I know regret it. Here’s my two cents. I had severe limited range of motion in my knee I only got more flexion meaning I can straighten it out more than I could before the surgery but I couldn’t bend my knee past 90 degrees for 20 years and only got 110 degrees with the new hardware. As long as the surgery reduces pain when it’s heaked that’s the goal but I seriously doubt you will get a whole lot more range of motion after replacement. You have to remember all the ligaments got shorter and muscles atrified so getting full shoulder rotation after is unrealistic. And I doubt it could take a hit to the shoulder. I’m still scared to ride moto anymore but I do easy trail rides and if I’m going to fall over I just dump the bike no way I’m trying to plant a replacement knee into the ground to keep from falling. Good luck and rehab the shit out of it. You may get lucky and end up better
chrisgg90
Fantasy
1768th
4/20/2019 12:24am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 12:31am
I got one after a racing accident in October 2017, and my shoulder was basically useless for a year. I have rode once since then and it got tired after a couple of laps but think in time it would build itself back up. I do have limited movement in it by way of if I lie on my back and put my arms above my head I could lay my damaged one flat on the ground behind me if that makes sense. The good news for you is the only reason I’m not riding racing again is finances and not the shoulder. I think with regular riding it would be fine and tiredness would go once the shoulder strengthens as I’ve got all the range of motion and then some I need to be on a bike. I’ve recently started to CrossFit and it’s working fine and taking the training. I won’t lie there is some discomfort at times. The only thing I notice is it does affect mobility stuff like snatches as the shoulder won’t go far enough back to allow me to complete the movement so I regularly have a sore right wrist, as I put strain on it compensating for the shoulder. I think you will be fine for riding with some exercise to build the shoulder back up for longer riding. I do get some dull pain and discomfort in it just sitting about at times reminding me of the injury but nothing significant. Hope this helps
VetMX.com
4/20/2019 7:13am
Go to Panama and get embriotic stem cell injection for $3500. Search for Joe Rogan podcast w/ Mel Gibson, stem cells on Youtube. Excellent and informational podcast and Panama is the only place you can currently get this. My friend sells the American version but it is not the same.
My Lawyer retired there and has several Dr.s in his building get them and prevented a knee replacement and tennis elbow surgury.
I am thinking about it for low back pain.

The Shop

MXMattii
4/20/2019 7:28am
I've got one. You need a great surgeon to place it. I used Prof. De Wilde in Belgium. He's a world authority on replacing shoulders.

A shoulder replacement isn't like a knee or hip. It isn't on the same level yet. My hip replacement does 100% of what a normal hip does, idem with my knee replacement. With a shoulder replacement you need to think that you will get about 65% to 75/80% of range back. Very important in getting that range back is fysio. The first weeks within the pain limit and then going through the wall of pain.

I've send the same message to Pierre-Alexandre (Pela) Renet he got also a shoulder replacement after his heavy crash in Dakar few years back.
Red Crawford
4/20/2019 7:53am
Not a replacement, but I did get the full "package racer" treatment. Rotator, Labrum, bicep tendon, and a 3mm reduction of the collarbone... I have full range, but it doesn't feel strong-----after 6 years. I do ride vintage, but it would be a stretch to actually call what I do "racing"....

Good luck with your procedure.
newmann
4/20/2019 8:06am
Need to see more of this DG Racer. YZ???
gt80rider
4/20/2019 8:45am
VetMX.com wrote:
Go to Panama and get embriotic stem cell injection for $3500. Search for Joe Rogan podcast w/ Mel Gibson, stem cells on Youtube. Excellent and informational...
Go to Panama and get embriotic stem cell injection for $3500. Search for Joe Rogan podcast w/ Mel Gibson, stem cells on Youtube. Excellent and informational podcast and Panama is the only place you can currently get this. My friend sells the American version but it is not the same.
My Lawyer retired there and has several Dr.s in his building get them and prevented a knee replacement and tennis elbow surgury.
Stem cells are awesome, but serious $$$$$$$$$$$$
blaze 57
4/20/2019 8:55am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 9:01am
Anyone here riding after a TOTAL shoulder replacement? If so, what issues do you have with range of motion or durability of the hardware? Thanks in...
Anyone here riding after a TOTAL shoulder replacement? If so, what issues do you have with range of motion or durability of the hardware?

Thanks in advance.?
I can't even imagine how painful a total replacement would be. I had rotator cuff repair and my tear was a very simple repair for the surgeon with plenty of reattachment material for a good hold

. The first 10-14 days were pure hell and no sleep (recliner) despite being on oxycodone. I even rented an ice machine that kept a steady supply of cold water on my shoulder. That worked better than drugs.

I'm going back in at the end of this month to the surgeon. I developed frozen shoulder last Dec but was fixed with 20 sessions of PT but now I have developed tendinitis that starts at my shoulder, runs down my bicep down to my wrist.

Shoulders take forever to heal properly due to the low blood supply to the area. I do have my full range of motion back. Its just the friggin constant tendinitis.
VetMX.com
4/20/2019 10:06am
VetMX.com wrote:
Go to Panama and get embriotic stem cell injection for $3500. Search for Joe Rogan podcast w/ Mel Gibson, stem cells on Youtube. Excellent and informational...
gt80rider wrote:
I doubt you can do a shoulder replacement for $3500.
nytsmaC
4/20/2019 10:14am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 10:19am
I came close to needing one last year when I shattered the top of my humerus, thankfully the bone didn’t die like they thought it might and they were able to pin it all back together. It won’t be necessary until maybe later in life. I did a lot of reading on it and it sounds very debilitating. My surgeon said you could expect limited range of motion and your shoulder strength would be limited to lifting about 10lbs. I would expect riding motocross would not be in the cards after that.

After the sheer hell of the two surgeries to fix my humerus I absolutely dread the thought of having to go through it again. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety. I know there are worse injuries and procedures but I can’t even imagine what they would be like.
8tensolutions
4/20/2019 11:03am
VetMX.com wrote:
Are you sure about this pricing? I thought it was more like 20K.
MotoMalyDad
4/20/2019 11:38am
Dr RYU in Santa Barbara. He has a very long list of head of shoulder this , chairman of shoulder that. He was the Othro doctor of all the LA sports and college teams at one time or another. Large full thickness tear in my rotator cuff in my shoulder , surgery Jan 8th. 8 weeks post op slipped on a wet curb, fell on repaired arm, fell so hard broke a rib and knocked the wind out of me. Had an MRI 2 days after, he called me at home on a Saturday and said all looks well continue with PT. Outside of the first couple days there has been no pain. Just about full ROM . He will be doing another operation on the other shoulder that I hurt in a Moto get off . Massive tear , but had another surgeon do the repair, tripped over a moto stand 8 weeks post op. tore up all the work. It has been 8 years and the tendon is atrophied and retracted. Too young for a reverse replacement so he will be putting an artificial tendon in.
Forty
4/20/2019 1:01pm
Shoulders are tricky and for best results find the best and listen to what you're told and follow through.

Red Crawford you're so lucky to have full ROM. Everyone is different and many of us have previous damage if you've been riding/racing for any length of time.

IMO I achieved great results after surgery however no where near full ROM and putting muscle back on is difficult.

I still ride and race however there is fear. The surgeon advised against riding of course stating that repeating the injury would not allow enough material to repair.

Yikes.
4/20/2019 1:27pm
I found out that I have arthritis in my shoulder when I went for frozen shoulder surgery and suffering with pain regardless how much physio etc until I tried tumeric concentrate tablets.
I know , I didn't think they would work but had nothing to lose , so started taking them after reading good reviews, I didn't think they were working until my wife said I hadn't whinged about the pain.
It hasn't completely gone but it is hardly noticeable now .
Tumeric has worked miracles for me , I hope other people can get the same results.
MXMattii
4/20/2019 3:46pm
This medic did mine in Belgium, if you email him with the question if he knows someone in America as solid as him, he will answer straight on. To be honest Doc. Ryu doesn't look bad if I research him but replacing shoulders is something different then fixing tendons and rotator cuffs and other problems from sportsmen.

But if you send him a email, he won't bite. Tell him a Belgium patient bragged about him on a internet board and named him a world authority. And that you look for someone as good in America, if possible as close by to California. If he knows somebody he trusts from his multiple international conventions he will give you a name.

Don't be scared to email other authorities on shoulder problems, like doc. Ryu but also the Edward V Craig from the Tria clinics. You don't buy the first car you see, so why should you swallow the first surgeon his story and get that surgery. After those mails you can decide if you meet hem in person.

I always do research and then trust my gut feeling, in picking the best surgeon. And knock on wood, I never got disappointed.
wildbill
4/20/2019 5:34pm
VetMX.com wrote:
gt80rider wrote:
VetMX.com wrote:
I doubt you can do a shoulder replacement for $3500.
X 10 plus
wildbill
4/20/2019 5:38pm
My surgeon said "Don't Fuck this one up because we can't fix it again."
wildbill
4/20/2019 6:05pm
In 2014, I went to Dr. Orfaly at OHSU and got my new joint. He's the best here. Wish I would've seen him in 04. He did say that he can't replace it again. So, only occasional hill climbing on 500's allowed.
MXMattii
4/20/2019 9:55pm
wildbill wrote:
In 2014, I went to Dr. Orfaly at OHSU and got my new joint. He's the best here. Wish I would've seen him in 04. He...
In 2014, I went to Dr. Orfaly at OHSU and got my new joint. He's the best here. Wish I would've seen him in 04. He did say that he can't replace it again. So, only occasional hill climbing on 500's allowed.
I think riding woods, like some ride their gold wing shouldn't be a problem too. But if you break the bone where the prosthetic is in, you've big trouble.
4/21/2019 3:12am
Ah man reading stuff like this is depressing...all you guys further down the road of accumulated injuries.

I got kicked yesterday on a double out of a corner, tried to ride it, but came up short. The nose dive impact i survived, but i rebounded and landed at the bottom of the landing..feet off, hands on the bars...and that impact dislocated my right shoulder for the first time.

The walk back to the and 5 minutes drive to the hospital was excruciating. My buddy tried to out it in, but couldn’t.

In a brace right now wondering when ill be riding again. The capsule is torn...and i wonder if i should get it repaired. Had the other one repaired 10 years ago..that was extremely painful...now reading your stories from entire shoulder replacements sounds even worse..
grunkster
4/21/2019 5:08am
Dr Sanchez at the Mayo Clinic is the best. He does replacements all the time. He did a full rotator repair on me (3 of the 4 were fully torn), and pain was minimal! I was in the recliner 2 nights and then normal bed sleep with only Tylenol. And it turned out perfect. PT is key. My other shoulder has bad arthritis and may need replacement at some point....so I asked him about it, and he stated “the replacement is cake compared to the rotator repair I did on you”. So I’m not worried.
JRMX59
4/21/2019 8:40am
I had one in 03 at 43 when I fell practicing and shattered the humeral ball. Still raced but with severely limited ROM. Work hard on muscle rebuilding, it goes away and doesn’t come back if you’re older. Still riding today at 60 pretty sore though.
nytsmaC
4/21/2019 10:52am
JRMX59 wrote:
I had one in 03 at 43 when I fell practicing and shattered the humeral ball. Still raced but with severely limited ROM. Work hard on...
I had one in 03 at 43 when I fell practicing and shattered the humeral ball. Still raced but with severely limited ROM. Work hard on muscle rebuilding, it goes away and doesn’t come back if you’re older. Still riding today at 60 pretty sore though.
Good for you on getting back out there after that! I don’t have the stomach to go through that again, with the same injury as yours abd my limited ROM I just have awful thoughts about what will happen if I go down hard on that shoulder again. it’s only been a year though, the desire may overcome those thoughts in the future. How long were you off the bike?

Mine looked like this, my surgeon got it back into a pretty good shape with only a slight imperfection. He keeps telling me how it was beyond fucked and he amazed himself that he was able to fix it. He just laughed when I asked how many pieces it was in and says he has no idea, just lots.

Did your humerus develop necrosis or was it just too mangled to repair?

JRMX59
4/22/2019 5:46pm
JRMX59 wrote:
I had one in 03 at 43 when I fell practicing and shattered the humeral ball. Still raced but with severely limited ROM. Work hard on...
nytsmaC wrote:
Good for you on getting back out there after that! I don’t have the stomach to go through that again, with the same injury as yours...
Good for you on getting back out there after that! I don’t have the stomach to go through that again, with the same injury as yours abd my limited ROM I just have awful thoughts about what will happen if I go down hard on that shoulder again. it’s only been a year though, the desire may overcome those thoughts in the future. How long were you off the bike?

Mine looked like this, my surgeon got it back into a pretty good shape with only a slight imperfection. He keeps telling me how it was beyond fucked and he amazed himself that he was able to fix it. He just laughed when I asked how many pieces it was in and says he has no idea, just lots.

Did your humerus develop necrosis or was it just too mangled to repair?

Wow yeah that looks bad. He said mine would die due to lack of blood flow in the ball and humerus was broken off so they did an implant. In 2015 I had it done again because I was having trouble with it and another surgeon told me they sized it incorrectly the first time Both times I was off the bike like seriously riding about a year. Can’t do anything overhead but I can still lift a lot if I keep it close to my body. So these days it’s woods riding and dual sporting and old three wheelers scratch the itch.
nytsmaC
4/23/2019 12:07pm
JRMX59 wrote:
Wow yeah that looks bad. He said mine would die due to lack of blood flow in the ball and humerus was broken off so they...
Wow yeah that looks bad. He said mine would die due to lack of blood flow in the ball and humerus was broken off so they did an implant. In 2015 I had it done again because I was having trouble with it and another surgeon told me they sized it incorrectly the first time Both times I was off the bike like seriously riding about a year. Can’t do anything overhead but I can still lift a lot if I keep it close to my body. So these days it’s woods riding and dual sporting and old three wheelers scratch the itch.
Jesus, that sounds awful. So they went straight for the implant/replacement without even trying to fix it first? How old were you at the time? They were skeptical about if mine would live but they said because I'm relatively young (36) they wanted to try to fix it first before replacement. I got lucky.
4/28/2019 4:51pm
I'm 3 months post op on total shoulder replacement. My recovery is going very well and I expect it to take 12-months before I get everything I can back. My ROM is back to my good arm. It's still very painful to lift my arm in front of my body or anything over head. The soft tissue is what needs to be healed and strengthened. Not sure if I will ever ride motocross again but given my recovery it is very possible i would think. I did a lot of research and went with a Wright Simpliciti stemless implant. I was back to running after 3 weeks, cycling and road biking after 6 weeks. I'll post another update on my progress in a few months.
MotoMalyDad
4/28/2019 5:14pm
Anyone here riding after a TOTAL shoulder replacement? If so, what issues do you have with range of motion or durability of the hardware? Thanks in...

Thanks in advance.?
So ,how old are you is the first question ? Dr Ryu in Santa Barbara told me I was too young for a reverse replacement. I am 55. He said the risks are too much as you can really FUBAR the bone if you injure it again. I don't know about a total replacement through. The reverse if for patients who have rotator cuffs beyond repair. So I just got in the MRI tube on Friday to satisfy insurance requirements . He will be doing a SCR (Superior capsule reconstruction) a fairly new process that uses a cadaver tendon and he will make a new rotator cuff.
DG 125 Racer
4/28/2019 6:25pm

Thanks in advance.?
So ,how old are you is the first question ? Dr Ryu in Santa Barbara told me I was too young for a reverse replacement. I...
So ,how old are you is the first question ? Dr Ryu in Santa Barbara told me I was too young for a reverse replacement. I am 55. He said the risks are too much as you can really FUBAR the bone if you injure it again. I don't know about a total replacement through. The reverse if for patients who have rotator cuffs beyond repair. So I just got in the MRI tube on Friday to satisfy insurance requirements . He will be doing a SCR (Superior capsule reconstruction) a fairly new process that uses a cadaver tendon and he will make a new rotator cuff.
I'm 58 y.o. and yeah, definitely concerned that it is too soon for a total replacement.

However, anything less would be futile. My shoulder is bone on bone, and has been that way long enough to significantly deform the humerus. My rotator cuff is completely gone, nothing left at all. The bone on bone action has severed the tendon that attached the bicep to the shoulder. It has also worn more than 50% through 3 other tendons.

I'm definitely open to advise. My current thought is to have the surgery. Be an over achiever in P.T. Then strengthen my upper body as much as possible within my weight limits. Finally, learn how to crash W/O risking that shoulder. Then it'll just be trail riding and MTB.
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
4/28/2019 7:24pm
I found out that I have arthritis in my shoulder when I went for frozen shoulder surgery and suffering with pain regardless how much physio etc...
I found out that I have arthritis in my shoulder when I went for frozen shoulder surgery and suffering with pain regardless how much physio etc until I tried tumeric concentrate tablets.
I know , I didn't think they would work but had nothing to lose , so started taking them after reading good reviews, I didn't think they were working until my wife said I hadn't whinged about the pain.
It hasn't completely gone but it is hardly noticeable now .
Tumeric has worked miracles for me , I hope other people can get the same results.
I'm keen to give this a go for my recent shoulder injury. Found mixed reports online. How long did it take for you to notice results?

Post a reply to: Total shoulder replacement

The Latest