Total knee replacement?

suzukijo
11/14/2012 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2012 6:22pm
Update to my TKR from SCOI, with Zimmer parts. Its 13 weeks now after surgery, and i'm out of PT, at least going there for PT, I would like to continue much of what they taught me, on my own. I"m walking a mile a day, and only take alleve for the minor pain that I feel. I talked to my doctor, Mark Friedman, about the suggestion the Zimmer was an old item. and he assured me they have improved the parts, and currently the are using the latest closed cell plastic between the 2 bone caps. (my descriptions, not his). I feel confident, after discussing the pros and cons with different manufacturers, asking him specifically about certain other brands, and his comments seemed to make sense at the time. All I can say is I feel he feels comfortable with the results of using that brand, and is familiar with their installation.
He also agreed, i really needed a new knee, and I feel good that I waited till now, years ago doctors told me the longer I waited the better the parts would be. As with motorcycles, I felt good about using something thats proven, instead of something new and different. (motorcycle mechanic for 30 years).
Anxious to move from my DRZ to MX soon.

note lower portion needed shim, my knee had worn so badly, I really needed TKR.
Iwannaride
11/14/2012 7:35pm
raddad wrote:
Have any of you that race MX had a total knee replacement and returned to race competitively again? I have a knee replacement scheduled for November...
Have any of you that race MX had a total knee replacement and returned to race competitively again? I have a knee replacement scheduled for November but after getting a second opinion from another surgeon saying that its not such a good idea for me because of my active lifestyle I may change my mind. Its bone on bone and hurts like hell all the time when riding or after words but I can get along OK when doing normal activities.

If you or anyone you know has input that would be great, thanks!
Hard to advise wo looking at your films but you may be a candidate for knee resurfacing. If so, you can go back to riding and any other activities.
xianzai
11/14/2012 7:44pm
Has anybody looked into stem cell cartilage regeneration? Regenexx offers this along with other companies.
Iwannaride
11/14/2012 8:28pm
Too expensive. Still considered experimental so many ins. Co will not pay. Little to no long term data.

The Shop

DavidCO
11/14/2012 10:23pm
I had my knee replaced yesterday. As I type this I am still in the hospital. Not too much pain. I am glad I got it done. My doctor also used the Zimmer knee. Before the surgery I let him read all of the posts on this thread. He took a professional approach and explanied why the Zimmer was a good choice.

I am excited about riding again and racing.

David
Iwannaride
11/15/2012 4:31am
David, congrats ! Keeping it as simple as possible, the patient care algorithm is as such; patient presents with pain so physician performs examination, will often scope and or injections and some pt. if that doesn't resolve the issue they may scope again and at the end of the algorithm is the total. At this point the damage is such that there is little to no other option for relief. Technology has come a long way and as previously stated physicians often prefer and use one system; this is the norm but not absolute! The goal is to relieve pain and restore a healthy functional lifestyle and the patient is free to resume any activity they can tolerate, BUTthese are not designed to stand up to the rigors of MX riding!. The mechanical stress and damaging effects from MX riding are too many to list; you definitely should wear a brace! Getting back to the patient care algorithm the question remains how do I treat that patient who is too old and won't respond to scope, micro fracture , injections etc, but too young foo for a total knee. The use of stem cells is evolving, promising, but much data must be gathered. Resurfacing technology is designed to be minimally invasive, with minimal bone resection, address the defect and restore the articular cartilage and Preserve the natural kinematics. Resurfacing technology permits the patient to almost immediately weight bear , return to a fully active lifestyle and fills the void in the patient care algorithm. There are many factors to consider, but you've had your procedure.

Best of luck and protect that knee when riding!
Hallzilla
11/15/2012 10:12am
DavidCO wrote:
I had my knee replaced yesterday. As I type this I am still in the hospital. Not too much pain. I am glad I got it...
I had my knee replaced yesterday. As I type this I am still in the hospital. Not too much pain. I am glad I got it done. My doctor also used the Zimmer knee. Before the surgery I let him read all of the posts on this thread. He took a professional approach and explanied why the Zimmer was a good choice.

I am excited about riding again and racing.

David
Break that scar tissue and you'll be ALL GOOD
MXMattii
11/15/2012 10:37am
I'm now 22 years old and last year they replaced my right knee. (Full replacement). I never rode a dirtbike but my bones are just dying because of a disease.

I'm lucky that I live in Belgium so I choose the University hospitals in Leuven. The medical doctor that did the surgery was Johan Bellemans one of the big names in the world and I need to say I'm bloody happy that I did it!

Three months I went true hell, the rehabilitation is a real bitch but if that is done you normally haven't any problems anymore!
xianzai
11/15/2012 7:48pm
Regenexx does it for 7k which is not a huge amount and they have been doing it for 6 years or so. I agree its not a huge amount of time but why not consider it compared to replacement. Once that's done its done.
Iwannaride
11/15/2012 8:25pm
If only it were that simple. Still considered by many as experimental. 6 years is considered an infancy to medicine, thus little to no long term follow up studies. 7k is a lot especially if insurance denies coverage. I agree that you should examine every option , but if it was that easy everyone would be asking for regenexx. And yes I do this for a living
Nighttrain
11/15/2012 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2012 9:39pm
Many sports surgeons recommend staying as biological as possible. The quality of artificial joints is progressing rapidly as well as other solutions. I chose to have a hip resculpted instead of replaced in January. Time will tell if it was the right decision but so far the effects have been similar to a replacement. I also have a knee that is bone on bone/arthritic but the pain is maneageable thru cycling and maintaining the lightest possible bodyweight. If I gain 5 lbs the knee starts hurting. Hah!, injuries suck but no regrets because of the fun had along the way.
oracle
7/17/2015 2:25pm
raddad wrote:
Have any of you that race MX had a total knee replacement and returned to race competitively again? I have a knee replacement scheduled for November...
Have any of you that race MX had a total knee replacement and returned to race competitively again? I have a knee replacement scheduled for November but after getting a second opinion from another surgeon saying that its not such a good idea for me because of my active lifestyle I may change my mind. Its bone on bone and hurts like hell all the time when riding or after words but I can get along OK when doing normal activities.

If you or anyone you know has input that would be great, thanks!
I have both knees done and raced. then after a year one went bad (defective) and got another one but got Myrsa Infection. it took 7 surgery's over a year to get rid of infection I had 4 knees and a block and IVs for 5 months at home. I now ride all the time but the one knee hurts a lot - I just like riding dirt more than the hurt bothers me.
I believe as long as you can keep the original knee replacement your ok riding. but if the have to replace the prosthetic then it will not bend as much and be more sore- most of which is from too much scare tissue.
but If riding is important then the pain does not matter. You never want an infection in the 1st knee device as the 2nd will be a major piece of steel wayup into the femur and down on the lower big bone. lots more healing and time.
hope that helps
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
7/17/2015 3:20pm
I had my left knee replaced 11 weeks ago and am pleased with how it is going,It's really nice to not have constant pain.
Riding a bicycle 5 miles every other day and do what I was taught in rehab daily Nearly have full range of motion,.pain is very mild and feeling better all the time.Still swells a bit after a work out but was told that is normal.
Dr says my progress is very good and said I will be surprised how good it is at the six month mark.
oracle
7/17/2015 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 3:36pm
Mine was perfect for over a year -racing motoxcross at expert level. but the knee broke due to a bad product. the company went broke and shutdown thru no fault of doctor - just a faulty product. my other knee right same as first is fine no issues. I never took a pain pill after surgery- went home next morning. but surgery #2 on 1st leg was a bad job and got infected. everything went bad after that on left leg. but i am riding again just painful a little and fragile putting foot down on track.
Always take antibiotics when you go to dentist.
Tracktor
7/17/2015 3:43pm
I go in August for my first consult about replacing my right knee. I'm 43 so have been getting push back from docs but the pain is constant now and effecting m,y ability to live normally even without riding. My concern is I pylon fractured my right ankle in 2004 and it has some pretty bad arthritis also. I have heard they don't like to do TKR with a bad ankle joint?..I guess we will see...........
sparker245
7/17/2015 7:44pm
I'm ten days out from a total left knee replacement and feeling pretty darn good. The surgery is definitely not a walk the park, but I really believe the end result with be worth the temporary pain and hard rehab work. I'm still up in the air about riding/racing....my common sense and good judgment say "hell no", but the desire is still there. Would really like to hear more from those who have had a TKR and have continued to ride/race.

Post a reply to: Total knee replacement?

The Latest