Torn between KTM and KX 450

Braaaphole
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2021 10:58am
I've got quotes from 2 dealers on each bike. Price difference is only 300, so the money doesn't matter at this point.
Bike is for a vet rider, 40+ and i intend on racing Loretta's next year on it.
I'm familiar with the KTM, been on their bikes since 2017. I find the Kawi intriguing.
The KX really felt good sitting on it. There's a couple thing's I'd have to change right away like levers and pegs.
On the KTM the only thing I'd be in a rush to change is converting the forks to spring. I know they have improved the forks, I have a 2020 125 for my kid and they are a lot better than previous years, but i still prefer spring. That's not an issue on the KX and a big money saver.

Thoughts? I'm going to get 1 of the 2 tomorrow.
|
8/24/2021 1:08pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I've got quotes from 2 dealers on each bike. Price difference is only 300, so the money doesn't matter at this point. Bike is for a...
I've got quotes from 2 dealers on each bike. Price difference is only 300, so the money doesn't matter at this point.
I'm familiar with the KTM, been on their bikes since 2017. I find the Kawi intriguing.
The KX really felt good sitting on it. There's a couple thing's I'd have to change right away like levers and pegs.
On the KTM the only thing I'd be in a rush to change is converting the forks to spring. I know they have improved the forks, I have a 2020 125 for my kid and they are a lot better than previous years, but i still prefer spring. That's not an issue on the KX and a big money saver.

They are both good bikes. I fee like each has a weakness and strength. I've ridden both and still couldn't tell you which i'd buy. The power delivery on the kx450 is really good but from initial throttle delivery it's kinda abrupt. At lorettas I think this could be an issue with the tight turns and ruts. The ktm has a great power delivery. I think the kx450 feels more stable and turns almost as good as the KTM. It's a tough call.
DB97
8/24/2021 1:13pm
Well I just switched from Kawi after almost 20 years. I had a 19 kx450 and a 21 kx250 recently so I'm familiar with both. After 2 rides on the 22 ktm450 I feel way better. It's smooth but still really fast and it just fits me better for whatever reason. I was thinking I would hate air forks because of my previous 16 kx450f.... These AER are plusher than the KYB I just had on the 21 kx. I feel like I always got killed on Kawi re sale prices also. WP also just came out with a dual spring cartridge kit that I'm probably going to try. I feel more comfortable standing through rough turns on the KTM for whatever reason and I haven't gotten arm pump like I did on the Kawi. The kawi number plates are so flat I always felt like I would slide off the back where the ktm kind of catches you and keeps me forward.
Braaaphole
8/24/2021 1:23pm
DB97 wrote:
Well I just switched from Kawi after almost 20 years. I had a 19 kx450 and a 21 kx250 recently so I'm familiar with both. After...
Well I just switched from Kawi after almost 20 years. I had a 19 kx450 and a 21 kx250 recently so I'm familiar with both. After 2 rides on the 22 ktm450 I feel way better. It's smooth but still really fast and it just fits me better for whatever reason. I was thinking I would hate air forks because of my previous 16 kx450f.... These AER are plusher than the KYB I just had on the 21 kx. I feel like I always got killed on Kawi re sale prices also. WP also just came out with a dual spring cartridge kit that I'm probably going to try. I feel more comfortable standing through rough turns on the KTM for whatever reason and I haven't gotten arm pump like I did on the Kawi. The kawi number plates are so flat I always felt like I would slide off the back where the ktm kind of catches you and keeps me forward.
Great info here, I appreciate it. I'm really leaning towards the KTM.
8/24/2021 1:51pm
How tall are you? As a tall rider, I feel cramped on the KTM. If you’re short, that might not be a bad thing.

The Shop

Braaaphole
8/24/2021 1:52pm
How tall are you? As a tall rider, I feel cramped on the KTM. If you’re short, that might not be a bad thing.
6ft, I honestly feel fine on the KTM.
8/24/2021 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2021 1:55pm
I was just going to comment on the rider height. I've been fortunate to ride both Kawi and KTM track bikes recently and would honestly say the KX is more comfortable if you are tall. On the other hand the KTM just feels like a much better product out of the box.

Go with your gut feeling and don't regret it.
Moto520
8/24/2021 2:04pm
I love my 2019 kx450 and it has been bulletproof for 105 hours. Suspension from Factory Connection on this bike is perfect. With that being said....i just bought a KTM350 and love it. It's very different....i just threw bars on it and i've been riding it as is ever since. The KTM turns unreal. Kawi is super stable.

I would probably go with the Kawi
8/24/2021 2:06pm
Moto520 wrote:
I love my 2019 kx450 and it has been bulletproof for 105 hours. Suspension from Factory Connection on this bike is perfect. With that being said....i...
I love my 2019 kx450 and it has been bulletproof for 105 hours. Suspension from Factory Connection on this bike is perfect. With that being said....i just bought a KTM350 and love it. It's very different....i just threw bars on it and i've been riding it as is ever since. The KTM turns unreal. Kawi is super stable.

You prefer the 450 over the 350? That was always my debate(350 vs 450).
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
8/24/2021 2:20pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I've got quotes from 2 dealers on each bike. Price difference is only 300, so the money doesn't matter at this point. Bike is for a...

The big fork update was for 21. The 20 forks aren't in the same ballpark.

I'm surprised the price gap is only $300. It is significantly more here unless you buy the red KTM.
Braaaphole
8/24/2021 2:26pm
Braaaphole wrote:

wrc777 wrote:
The big fork update was for 21. The 20 forks aren't in the same ballpark. I'm surprised the price gap is only $300. It is significantly...

I'm surprised the price gap is only $300. It is significantly more here unless you buy the red KTM.
Interesting, I thought it was 20. I know the 20 forks on my kids 125 are far better than what I had on my 350, it was a 17 and the internals were updated to 19 specs. Guess we will see.

Dealer made me a solid deal, it's a leftover '21. The 22 wouldn't have been much more though.
I went ahead and called the dealer and told them to prep the KTM for me, I'm going to get it in the morning.
Getting a set of the split triple clamps with it. I want the connectivity unit as well but they don't have any.
str8line
8/24/2021 2:30pm
Budget for replacing your Kawi drivetrain after 25 hours.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
8/24/2021 2:33pm
Braaaphole wrote:

wrc777 wrote:
The big fork update was for 21. The 20 forks aren't in the same ballpark. I'm surprised the price gap is only $300. It is significantly...

Braaaphole wrote:
Interesting, I thought it was 20. I know the 20 forks on my kids 125 are far better than what I had on my 350, it...
Interesting, I thought it was 20. I know the 20 forks on my kids 125 are far better than what I had on my 350, it was a 17 and the internals were updated to 19 specs. Guess we will see.

Dealer made me a solid deal, it's a leftover '21. The 22 wouldn't have been much more though.
I went ahead and called the dealer and told them to prep the KTM for me, I'm going to get it in the morning.
Getting a set of the split triple clamps with it. I want the connectivity unit as well but they don't have any.
Two and four stroke had very different valving for 19-20. Two stroke only had a check plate on the mid valve so once they got moving they were pretty plush.

The split triple clamp should help too.
NorCal1975
8/24/2021 2:51pm
Braaaphole wrote:

I have not ridden either bike specifically, but in my opinion Kawis overall reliability is not anywhere near the level of KTM, Yamaha or Honda, and you see that in resale prices. I bet the KTM costs a lot less to own in the long run. The stuff on the Kawis just seems cheap and wears out quickly in my experience.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
57th
8/24/2021 2:56pm
Hell yeah man good choice. I got to spend a day on the Kawasaki and really didn't like it, weird ergonomically, soft forks that ruined the handling, and a motor that had a good delivery but was down on power. Ended up going with the KTM and loved it. Enjoy your new bike!

Kyle978
8/24/2021 2:59pm
I ride a '21 Kawi 450, last bike I had before a 3 year break from owning bikes was a '17 KTM 450 w/ Enzo KYB. Have spent a fair amount of time on different KTM/Husky 450's 19-21 with stock suspension, Cone Valve, Enzo KYB etc.

At the end of the day, I like the frame, engine and fit and finish of the KTM's better. But the big reason I have the Kawi is cost to get suspension dialed.

My Kawi with Pro Circuit revalve, springs, bladder kit and pistons (about $1,000) is some of the best suspension I've ever had, first setting on the forks and only one change on the shock for more bottoming resistance.

My '17 KTM I had everything thrown at the WP AER, then went Con Valve and wasn't fully satisfied, and finally landed on the KYB conversion from Enzo. Ouch.

If I was prepared to spend $20k to build my preferred race bike, it would be a KTM. I had to be realistic with this current bike and that's why I'm on green. The bike is holding up very well and is an absolute joy to ride.
DB97
8/24/2021 3:04pm
I’m 6’1” and the ktm is fine. I even have the bars in the back position.
Yeti831
8/24/2021 3:47pm
If you like how you fit on it, get the KTM and don’t think twice.
VetRider97
8/24/2021 4:20pm
Have had KTMs' for the last 4 years with excellent reliability, think the KTM has advantage there as well as fit, finish and overall engineering IMHO . As stated by others think the KTM has resale advantage. KTM also has map switch on bars which is nice rather than changing plugs on Kawi.

From my experience KTM engine is very user friendly, a do it all motor and is a few pounds lighter overall. The KTM handles and turns well, never does anything unexpected...very stable. I have Lucky fork spring conversion an shock upgrades which were spendy but worth it to me.
tobz
8/24/2021 4:23pm
Pick your favourite colour or the better dealer support, you’ll be fine on either machine.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
8/24/2021 5:17pm
KTM is pretty nice to work on too. I like working on my KTM much more than I did my jap bikes.
Spudnut
8/24/2021 5:27pm
If you want all the performance of a ktm but with more fun get a GasGas. GasGas is fun.
Braaaphole
8/24/2021 5:30pm
Spudnut wrote:
If you want all the performance of a ktm but with more fun get a GasGas. GasGas is fun.
I wanted a GasGas but no one has them and they can't tell me how long it's going to be before they arrive.
uxcryno
8/24/2021 5:44pm
So... Im just going to put my 2 cents into this... Not that its worth anything buuuut... I had and 18 ktm 450 and struggled with set up sold it and got a 19 kx 450 and struggled with it as well Just couldnt get real comfortable... my buddy convinced me to try his 350 ( although it had cone valves and trax shock) Well long story short he was getting a new one and sold it to me for pretty cheap... I put the cone valves and trax shock on it and it is the best handling and most fun bike I have had since riding a yz 250 2 stroke.... I seriously wish I would have gotten one sooner.

Moto520
8/24/2021 6:26pm
Moto520 wrote:
I love my 2019 kx450 and it has been bulletproof for 105 hours. Suspension from Factory Connection on this bike is perfect. With that being said....i...

You prefer the 450 over the 350? That was always my debate(350 vs 450).
I would absolutely get the 350 if it was on the table……
JohnnyD13
8/24/2021 7:01pm
I’m hoping you go with the KTM and let us know how you like it. I’ve have the 2020 kx450 and it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden. I can push super hard and it stays safe, which is number 1 for a working 35 plus rider. But I want a change and have been thinking about the KTM. Really only because of the weight difference
Spooner
8/24/2021 7:10pm
Braaaphole wrote:
Interesting, I thought it was 20. I know the 20 forks on my kids 125 are far better than what I had on my 350, it...

20 was the new fork but they updated the mid-valve in 21 and has far better hold up. I changed it on my 20 husky and it’s a massive difference.
Braaaphole
8/24/2021 7:33pm
uxcryno wrote:
So... Im just going to put my 2 cents into this... Not that its worth anything buuuut... I had and 18 ktm 450 and struggled with...
So... Im just going to put my 2 cents into this... Not that its worth anything buuuut... I had and 18 ktm 450 and struggled with set up sold it and got a 19 kx 450 and struggled with it as well Just couldnt get real comfortable... my buddy convinced me to try his 350 ( although it had cone valves and trax shock) Well long story short he was getting a new one and sold it to me for pretty cheap... I put the cone valves and trax shock on it and it is the best handling and most fun bike I have had since riding a yz 250 2 stroke.... I seriously wish I would have gotten one sooner.

I had a 17 350, it was a great bike. I want to go 450 this time.
BobPA
8/24/2021 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2021 7:42pm
I have had both. Currently on a '21 KX450 and coming off a 2017 KTM 450. 34 y/o, 6ft, 180lbs and have Vet A speed for 2 laps, then cruise at a Vet B pace as I blow through the non existent cardio.

I really liked my 2017 KTM, to this day one of the favorite bikes I have owned. Sold it with 80 hours, never even removed the valve cover. Clutch looked brand new. The bike was absolutely stone cold reliable. Sold it when Covid hit...I put a big price tag on it, and someone bit.

I grew up racing Kawasaki, so I figured I would go back to my roots after being on KTM for 7 years.....I do not know if I like my Kawasaki better than the KTM yet. They are both good bikes, but I might give the nod to the KTM at the moment. I believe the KTM has a slightly better engine, just a bit more user friendly. The Kawasaki likes to be ridden aggressively. KTM had better overrev, but I think the KX puts the power to the ground a bit better down low. KTM was more "electric" feeling. The KTM clutch has a better feel. The Nissin clutch is a bit vague feeling, and is a bit harderto pull...but it is by no means bad.

People hate on air forks, but I liked the AER on my Katoom. Having trouble getting the forks dialed on my Kawasaki. They are just a bit harsh initially, but descent everywhere else. Both of the shocks feel excellent out of the box. Also, I do not have a ton of time in the setup of the KX forks yet.

The KTM might turn a little better than the KX, maybe...I don't know. There is not a real standout here. The Kawasaki is more stable in the long sweepers. The Kawasaki is super thin, and feels very flickable. Very comfy ergos for me, and the adjustable footpegs are nice.

The stock KTM components are of a better quality. i.e. chain guide, hardware, chain, etc. The stock KX muffler is gargantuan. The KTM is easier to change the air filter, The KX is easier to change the oil...but that depends on your skid plate. Brakes are excellent on both with the rear brake on the Kawasaki being almost too good for some. But, I like a really hard initial bite for my brake setups.

The more I ride the Kawasaki the better it gets. Only have something like 15 hours on it, so it may grow on me some more.

stone881
8/24/2021 7:47pm
Braaaphole wrote:

You might want to watch this video before you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xBgX-l98wg
Mr. Afterbar
8/24/2021 7:48pm
NorCal1975 wrote:
I have not ridden either bike specifically, but in my opinion Kawis overall reliability is not anywhere near the level of KTM, Yamaha or Honda, and...
I have not ridden either bike specifically, but in my opinion Kawis overall reliability is not anywhere near the level of KTM, Yamaha or Honda, and you see that in resale prices. I bet the KTM costs a lot less to own in the long run. The stuff on the Kawis just seems cheap and wears out quickly in my experience.
I’ve been on KX 450s since ‘13 and I don’t share that sentiment. They have been rock solid and I’ve had no irregular wear issues. I won’t comment on the KTM as I haven’t ridden one. The ‘19 up KX is an excellent handling, stable, and forgiving bike. I’m hands down better on the current gen than the previous. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Post a reply to: Torn between KTM and KX 450

The Latest