Torn Labrum (just like Dean Dub)

bullpen658
Edited Date/Time 6/27/2013 10:17am
Only the fastest of us tear our labrums. Any of you guys fast enough to tear your labrum too? If so, WTF does it take to heal one? An act of God? Congress to vote on it?

It's been almost a year for me and I can still barely use it. Strange thing is, the shoulder works pretty well for most movements. I can lift weights pretty well for some lifts but there are a couple of movements that are terribly painful. I can barely do any sort of bench press / push up movement without feeling like I want to die. Also, I can barely curl 10 pounds without it feeling like 10,000. Is the bicep connected to the labrum (serious question). When I do any lifts that use my bicep, it hurts my bicep AND my shoulder socket. VERY painful and uncomfortable.

The good news is that I can ride again. I'm still super duper slow but I can go about as fast (ahem, slow) as before, so that is good. However, if I get out of shape AT ALL, the shoulder becomes an issue immediately and I'm skeered that it's gonna cause me to crash if I keep riding. Should I just get my arm removed?

Sincerely,

The Six-Time National Practice Vet Novice World Three-Wheeler Motocross Champion
|
KAB
Fantasy
807th
6/23/2013 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 8:08pm
Yes the bicep is connected to the labrum. Like you I tore mine and waited a year for it to heal (although I i didn't know what it was.) I finally gave up and went to an orthopedic surgeon. MRI revealed a torn labrum (I tore mine doing bicep curls a weird way.) had to do surgery and use 1 anchor to reset it. Surgery is easy, physical therapy not so much.
bullpen658
6/23/2013 8:14pm
My physical therapist (I quit going months ago....it was for my broken humerus and the subsequent nerve damage) advised me to avoid surgery if at all possible. He is a moto dude too and had seen a TON of shoulder injuries. My torn labrum wasn't dx until like 6 months after the surgery because I couldn't move my arm very much (due to the humerus damage). So, I've got about 4-5 months of gradually increasing the movement / rehab for it. I haven't been real consistent with trying to lift because it hurts so much but I am getting stronger all the time. The nerve damage was the worst. Now, the labrum is the worst. It totally blows goats. VERY painful, weak, and uncomfortable. Feels like my shoulder "moves around" when I do certain movements and like I said, my bicep is VERY weak.

NO WAY could I put a bike on a stand with that arm. I can barely scoot one around using that method.
6/23/2013 8:17pm
I have one, and I was told by my Doc. that it can't heal on it's own because it's cartilage. This is from a web site about your options.

What are the treatment options?
Dr. Eakin: Your labrum won't heal completely on its own and when it repairs itself, it doesn't always heal evenly. This leaves it more susceptible to future damage. Imagine the golf ball in the tee, again; if the golf tee is uneven, it's far easier for the golf ball to roll off.

Labral tears do not always need to be repaired. If someone does not want to return to their sport and doesn't mind difficulty with other overhead activities, it is possible to modify activity and leave it alone.

If you want to return to your sport or resume normal activity, surgery is the only way to repair a torn labrum. Luckily, the procedure is now done orthoscopically so the incisions are very tiny. If the labral tear is small and does not destabilize the joint, the surgeons will just "clean it up" and make it less irritating and more comfortable for the patient. In cases where the labrum is pulled off the rim, it must be re-anchored, which is a more major surgery.
bullpen658
6/23/2013 8:20pm
Thanks O'Show. I guess I could have googled it but I prefer to consult with other dirt bikers. After all, who knows more about injuries and surgeries? Doctors or dirt bikers? LOL

The Shop

bullpen658
6/23/2013 8:21pm
I'm going to try to avoid the surgery thing if I can. Sure hope I don't have to go that route. The biggest fear I have is that I changed jobs right after the crash so the old insurance will likely say it is a "pre-existing condition" and tell me to pack sand.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/23/2013 8:45pm
I tore the labrum and the bicep tendon off the bone. Continued to ride for a year, but all the same feelings a you. (Weakness, uncertain of strength)

Finally had an MRI and ended up with 4 anchors and 5 months off of work. Been 13 months and I'm 90%. Took a good crash, onto my shoulder, on my mountain bike last week. Thought I ruined my shoulder again, but its starting to feel normal again.

Now the opposite shoulder needs the same surgery, but its not a bad, YET....

** DO ALL THE PHYSICAL THERAPY ** it's a MUST !!!!

Get off the pain pills as soon a you can, hopefully within a month or so. Those things are EVIL. ! I had some weird dreams on those percocets. NORCO wasn't so bad, but those percocets were making me depressed.

Good luck, it's a long recovery. It'll feel like a million bucks, if you DO THE THERAPY
bullpen658
6/23/2013 9:08pm
Dude, I've been on a steady dose of pain pills for like 20 years. Every time I quit and go through the withdrawals, it jinxes me and I end up hurt again (I get hurt anyways, but who'd keeping track?). hahahahahahhaha.

I hope you (and me) heal up to closer to 100% soon. This is a pretty bad injury. I've had so many AC-Separations that I don't even count that as an "injury" anymore but this thing is a LOT worse.
JW381
6/23/2013 11:23pm
I tore my labrum. After dislocating my shoulder three times, an MRI revealed a tear. One of the best surgeons in Eugene used a scope and a set of anchors to repair it. That was 2007, and my atm will never be good again, but it stays in place. Physical therapy is rough, the pain pills are good, but the mobility will likely never return. Luckily I'm a righty. You'll be alright tho.
JW381
6/23/2013 11:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 11:29pm
Well after my injury my good buddy tore his riding. He's a little naive and younger so I punk'd him! I was in tears laughing so hard during this exchange, one of my all time life accomplishments lol.

RUTCITY
6/23/2013 11:38pm
bullpen658 wrote:
Only the fastest of us tear our labrums. Any of you guys fast enough to tear your labrum too? If so, WTF does it take to...
Only the fastest of us tear our labrums. Any of you guys fast enough to tear your labrum too? If so, WTF does it take to heal one? An act of God? Congress to vote on it?

It's been almost a year for me and I can still barely use it. Strange thing is, the shoulder works pretty well for most movements. I can lift weights pretty well for some lifts but there are a couple of movements that are terribly painful. I can barely do any sort of bench press / push up movement without feeling like I want to die. Also, I can barely curl 10 pounds without it feeling like 10,000. Is the bicep connected to the labrum (serious question). When I do any lifts that use my bicep, it hurts my bicep AND my shoulder socket. VERY painful and uncomfortable.

The good news is that I can ride again. I'm still super duper slow but I can go about as fast (ahem, slow) as before, so that is good. However, if I get out of shape AT ALL, the shoulder becomes an issue immediately and I'm skeered that it's gonna cause me to crash if I keep riding. Should I just get my arm removed?

Sincerely,

The Six-Time National Practice Vet Novice World Three-Wheeler Motocross Champion
I'm currently on the mend from shredding not tearing, my second labrum. IN MY HIPS. This is my second hip re-construction and re-surfacing in as many years. I'm 26 by the way, and be glad AF that it's only your shoulder; not the largest most weight bearing joint in your body.

Oh and my left hip feels better than original and is awesome. Bone heals in 9-12 months, non weight bearing for 5 weeks.
JW381
6/23/2013 11:55pm
bullpen658 wrote:
Only the fastest of us tear our labrums. Any of you guys fast enough to tear your labrum too? If so, WTF does it take to...

Sincerely,

RUTCITY wrote:
I'm currently on the mend from shredding not tearing, my second labrum. IN MY HIPS. This is my second hip re-construction and re-surfacing in as many...
I'm currently on the mend from shredding not tearing, my second labrum. IN MY HIPS. This is my second hip re-construction and re-surfacing in as many years. I'm 26 by the way, and be glad AF that it's only your shoulder; not the largest most weight bearing joint in your body.

Oh and my left hip feels better than original and is awesome. Bone heals in 9-12 months, non weight bearing for 5 weeks.
That's rough man..
RUTCITY
6/24/2013 12:05am
JW381 wrote:
That's rough man..
First one was horrible. They had to cut my hip flexor and score my quad to relieve pressure. It was a month and a half until I could get off my back and out of a powered wheel chair.

This one, not so much. Didnt have to do said ^ procedurally the same. I'm three weeks in and I'm where I was at 8 weeks last year. Heck, I'm gonna be able to use my boat a lot coming up here and I'm on short term leave at work. Just hitting rehab harder bc I know how to rehab it better.

I should be back riding as soon as September, but I'm gonna give it til February. Bench racing and boating for me only this summer.
JW381
6/24/2013 12:18am
JW381 wrote:
That's rough man..
RUTCITY wrote:
First one was horrible. They had to cut my hip flexor and score my quad to relieve pressure. It was a month and a half until...
First one was horrible. They had to cut my hip flexor and score my quad to relieve pressure. It was a month and a half until I could get off my back and out of a powered wheel chair.

This one, not so much. Didnt have to do said ^ procedurally the same. I'm three weeks in and I'm where I was at 8 weeks last year. Heck, I'm gonna be able to use my boat a lot coming up here and I'm on short term leave at work. Just hitting rehab harder bc I know how to rehab it better.

I should be back riding as soon as September, but I'm gonna give it til February. Bench racing and boating for me only this summer.
Good to hear, good luck on the recovery. To you and the OP.
Thelen20
6/24/2013 3:15am
Dislocated shoulder moto'n when i was 18. Diagnosed torn labrum, got it anchored orthoscopically. A year later had another awkward crash and popped it out again. Got it fixed again.

Shoulder went for 6 years at 100 percent, racing, fighting mma, lifting, basketball, etc. . . Then it happened, popped out playing basketball in the spring of 12', NOOOOOOO!!! Rehabbed on my own and got it back to where i could do everything but it just never felt as good as it did after that second surgery.

Popped it out playing basketball again this spring. It is not right and i need to have something done, just working too much right now. I can function fine for everyday life but when i play right now the shoulder feels super sketchy.

Bottom line is, after you get it fixed always, always, ALWAYS!!! Keep that shoulder fit and strong, you have an injury and it will always need special care. I feel like that is where i went wrong, as i got older and more busy with wife, kids, work, etc, I became too much of a weekend warrior.

Good Luck!!!
DoctorJD
6/24/2013 5:29am
I tore mine back in January (a mild tear, mind you) and it's still not fully healed. I can do most things, like ride my bikes (mtb and road bike) but I couldn't fathom riding a dirt bike right now. Its gradually getting better, but this has got to be the slowest-healing injury I've ever had.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/24/2013 6:22am
Tore mine. Tried therapy, but it didn't help. It quickly became obvious that it needed surgery. Most painful one I'd ever had.
danman
6/24/2013 8:03am
Torn mine the first time in college(1992). I dealt with it until 2.5 years ago. Went in, obviously diagnosed with a tear about 30% was torn. Had the surgery and went through the rehab. It still felt funny, but the doc gave me the go ahead to get back to normal life. I went bowling about 2 weeks after the green light, yes I'm a bowling nerd too, I felt a huge pop in the shoulder and knew something let loose. Went back to the doc and he said it was probably just scar tissue that broke loose. Long story short, after 3 cortizone shots that did nothing, that Dr that gave up. I went to another Dr, who gave me one more shot, which numbed my shoulder as it should have. Anyway, they had to wait 6 weeks to do the shoulder, but it felt fine then, so I continued to be normal. BAD IDEA. I tore the labrum 100% off the bone!
Next surgery(less than a year from the previous one), he re-attached it and in the process, one of the 2 bicep tendons had some damage, so he cut it to re-attach it, but it wouldn't re-attach. Basically, My shoulder will never be 100% again, and I only have one bicep tendon to use. My muscle looks like a baseball on my arm and my kids laugh at me all the time. Recovery was a bitch and a LONG process. I'm way over the year mark and it still hurts every day and I am limited in what I can do.
IF you have surgery, only take the pain pills if you absolutely HAVE to. They are very addicting. Also, during the rehab, go slow and don't push it. If it doesn't feel right, speak up.
Seamorbutts
6/24/2013 10:11am
JW381 wrote:
Well after my injury my good buddy tore his riding. He's a little naive and younger so I punk'd him! I was in tears laughing so...
Well after my injury my good buddy tore his riding. He's a little naive and younger so I punk'd him! I was in tears laughing so hard during this exchange, one of my all time life accomplishments lol.

"What's Labia? Pussy lips"

Thats some funny shit!!!!
slipdog
6/24/2013 11:13am
Anyone that dislocates their shoulder tears their labrum, it helps hold the arm bone in the shoulder socket. Once it's torn the shoulder pops out easier each time. In '02 I had my labrum anchored, they ground out the socket and tightened the ligaments. Been good ever since, but now I throw like a girl, lol!

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/labrum_tear.html
6/24/2013 11:39am
Dr. Mark Sanders repaired mine. He had me doing push ups at 6 weeks and riding at 12 weeks. The guy is amazing! sandersclinic.com
project827
6/24/2013 2:55pm
I tore my labrum in May of 2010 while riding. The Orthopedic Dr that I saw at the time said that if I gave it six months, it should heal itself. I waited almost two years before getting back on a bike and the third time out my shoulder came out again. At that point I decided to look into having it fixed. I had an MRI and found out there were two tears and the labrum was detached on the bottom side of the shoulder capsule. The new doctor put six anchors in as well as tightened the ligament and the capsule. I was in a sling from the beginning of June until the end of July. As you may be able to imagine, the mobility and strength all but goes away after being immobilized for so long, that even after 12 weeks of therapy, I had to go back into surgery. The second one was easy, they just forced the range of motion, and then cleaned out scar tissue. I then did PT three times a week until the end of November. I am now just a little over a year clear of surgery and I am feeling better now than I have since the initial injury. My mobility is about 98% of what it was, but the doctor said it will probably never be 100%. I don't even notice it.

Sorry about being so long winded, I just wanted to give my background before I recommend having the surgery. It is a pain in the ass, but you will be glad you did it. Also, I would recommend doing a little research, and choose a doctor that is known for working on athletes shoulders. I am fortunate to live close to the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, FL, they have worked with a lot of high profile athletes (RG3, Brett Favre, etc.). Dealing with people that work with athletes and understand and support you in getting back to where you were before your injury is a breath of fresh air, compared to the standard quit living your life schpiel you get from a lot of doctors. Good luck with it whatever you decide.
Thelen20
6/24/2013 5:57pm
slipdog wrote:
Anyone that dislocates their shoulder tears their labrum, it helps hold the arm bone in the shoulder socket. Once it's torn the shoulder pops out easier...
Anyone that dislocates their shoulder tears their labrum, it helps hold the arm bone in the shoulder socket. Once it's torn the shoulder pops out easier each time. In '02 I had my labrum anchored, they ground out the socket and tightened the ligaments. Been good ever since, but now I throw like a girl, lol!

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/labrum_tear.html
That is the only thing that i have not been able to do since my first injury, throw a baseball or a softball like i used too. O well, plenty of other sports i like better anyway
JW381
6/24/2013 6:54pm
"What's Labia? Pussy lips"

Thats some funny shit!!!!
Yeah this kid was 19 at the time. He's really one of my best friends on the planet, which is why I share this every chance I get lol.

His labia is all sorts of fucked up lmao
bullpen658
6/25/2013 1:51am
Wow! I guess it is more common than I thought. The stories in here are terrifying. I really hope I can avoid surgery but using my bicep causes severe pain. Not too good. Luckily (I guess), I can't afford to ride too often so that should help my arm heal.

The torn labia story was hilarious. Lol
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
6/25/2013 2:13am
Shoulders are so vulnerable in moto a!

I wish someone made a "shoulder guard" to protect them somehow.. (Maybe similar to that big T / back brace thing Roczen wore in the gp's?)

I was wearing an a-stars brace that was 1 size to large and landed on my head, the transfer of energy pushed the brace to the side pushing my shoulder down through the socket tearing the coraco acromial ligament and the ac joint..

I had surgery at the end of Jan and its probably 60% at the moment with daily rehab exercises.

Cant wait to get back on my bike!!
J82
6/25/2013 2:39am
Tore mine about 8 months ago, had surgery 7 weeks ago. 5 anchors sling for 4 weeks and PT 3 times a week.

Still inflamed and bicep tendon is being a bitch but range of motion is getting better every day.

It was a bony bankart lesion tear.
E-man811
6/25/2013 5:13am
Torn Labrum here. Anterior / inferior. 4 anchors for me, plus while he was in there he tightened up the capsule around the joint to keep it from dislocating so easily. 13 years later, I've had no dislocations, only a few subluxations and over all is very stable. I still can't and probably won't ever be able to throw like I could before because of some limited range of motion out at the extremes, but I'd do it again if I had the choice.
dehner47
6/27/2013 10:17am
having mine done in 3 weeks. painful for sure. Esp being a stay home dad with a 3yr old. not looking forward to the rehad or the daycare cost for month or so as i recover.

Post a reply to: Torn Labrum (just like Dean Dub)

The Latest