Top arrogant/whiny pro riders?

jtomasik
Edited Date/Time 3/7/2013 6:23pm
Over the years I've seen quite a few threads/posts here that complain about riders being arrogant and/or whiners. Personally, I don't recall any pro rider that displayed excessive behavior either way that'd warrant much attention. In fact, they seem often the opposite, considering the adrenaline/testosterone level they have to maintain to compete at that level.

Maybe I don't pay enough attention and am simply missing it. If so, who do you consider worthy of being considered arrogant and/or whiny? What did they do or say that makes you believe that of them?
|
davistld01
3/4/2013 2:24pm
I think some talk has come up recently regarding Justin Barcia's comments on how James Stewart raced him aggressively at the St. Louis round. Justin "BamBam" Barcia has made a name for himself by not thinking twice about being super agressive with the competition, quick to run them high and even take them out. There's even a Flinstones cartoon before he's introduced at the first of the race, complete with shots of him banging riders left and right. For a rider to have a reputation like that, and cry when a veteran rider like Stewart makes contact with him is pretty much being a whiny baby, IMO.
nytsmaC
3/4/2013 2:36pm
davistld01 wrote:
I think some talk has come up recently regarding Justin Barcia's comments on how James Stewart raced him aggressively at the St. Louis round. Justin "BamBam"...
I think some talk has come up recently regarding Justin Barcia's comments on how James Stewart raced him aggressively at the St. Louis round. Justin "BamBam" Barcia has made a name for himself by not thinking twice about being super agressive with the competition, quick to run them high and even take them out. There's even a Flinstones cartoon before he's introduced at the first of the race, complete with shots of him banging riders left and right. For a rider to have a reputation like that, and cry when a veteran rider like Stewart makes contact with him is pretty much being a whiny baby, IMO.
This, plus is actions in the past where he throws tantrums like at Bercy when things don't go his way.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
3/4/2013 2:37pm
Hannah
RJ
Bradshaw

Could be considered arrogant in their day, that is not a slam I'm a huge fan of all those guys, possibly part of the reason why. Laughing

The Shop

Regis
Fantasy
292nd
3/4/2013 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 2:55pm
Arrogant AND whiny?
Joelessi
3/4/2013 8:32pm
Seems like Chad Reed whined not stop back in the day. He is a bit better now but not much.
SwapperMX
3/4/2013 8:35pm
Depends in what context. Arrogant towards their competition, or fans, or media. A case could be put together for many riders in one way or another. Doesnt mean we should.
Fat Fingers
3/4/2013 9:31pm
Reed is still a whiner.... Even when he isn't whining out loud, you can tell he's whining in his head.
3/4/2013 9:38pm
Joelessi wrote:
Seems like Chad Reed whined not stop back in the day. He is a bit better now but not much.
You beat me to it. Reed was known as a big whiner and prima donna and burned a lot of bridges in the sport by bashing bikes, tracks, and other riders. Practically nobody in the industry wanted to work with him any more, which is primarily how 22 Motorsports got started because he couldn't get a ride. To his credit he has cleaned up his act and, at least publicly.
Mr. G
3/4/2013 9:43pm
jtomasik wrote:
Over the years I've seen quite a few threads/posts here that complain about riders being arrogant and/or whiners. Personally, I don't recall any pro rider that...
Over the years I've seen quite a few threads/posts here that complain about riders being arrogant and/or whiners. Personally, I don't recall any pro rider that displayed excessive behavior either way that'd warrant much attention. In fact, they seem often the opposite, considering the adrenaline/testosterone level they have to maintain to compete at that level.

Maybe I don't pay enough attention and am simply missing it. If so, who do you consider worthy of being considered arrogant and/or whiny? What did they do or say that makes you believe that of them?
You know they all for the most part seem pretty well composed. MXA once interview George Lazenby ( MX racer and one of the 007's) and they asked him, (paraphrase) "How do you think 007 would do in motocross" he answered "He is too arrogant, he would end up getting hurt". Motocross is a sport that brings one back to earth so to speak, sometime in a violent way.
davistld01
3/5/2013 3:18am
Most of these guys have known nothing but dirt bikes since they could pee into a toilet by themselves. They have been sequestered away from any normal social life by a racing career that cost their families everything they could scrape together, and were homeschooled if they were schooled at all. They know racing...only racing. Some are almost robotic In their focus and show little or no "people skills".

Most high level athletes are arrogant and "dicky"...because they don't know how to relate.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
3/5/2013 3:46am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2013 11:12am
Shit thread mate, nice guys finish last, all the contenders are arrogant in their own way. No matter what the sport. If they are not their mind is not in the game.
jamma10
3/5/2013 3:54am
CP377 first one that came to mind when I read the title.
Despite the speculation, I can't think of one example of Pourcel whining in public.
SwapperMX
3/5/2013 4:22am
jamma10 wrote:
Despite the speculation, I can't think of one example of Pourcel whining in public.
Hey Jamma, not real keen on this thread, but I love your signature. It makes me laugh every time I see it!!
IWreckALot
3/5/2013 4:39am
“Yeah, it was just dumb. What happened, I should have seen it coming. Like he was brake-checking me before I got around him. But I got around him and I could tell he was faded, so I kinda went, ‘All right, I need to put on a charge and get away from this guy.’ He’s a dirty rider, and it just came into an awkward position, in the turn before the rollers. He just came in and cleaned me out.”

Continuing, Ryan said, “I’m just over this stuff. I wanted to go over there, but I mean, I’m not going to lower myself to that. I mean the guy’s an idiot. Look at him. He’s getting drunk before the race. He’s an embarrassment to our sport, I think. People say he’s good, but he’s going to learn his lesson one day it’ll come. I don’t know when. I’m not a trash-talker guy, and I ain’t gonna be nice about it, but I’m just kind of over it…what happened in Supercross. The way he went about things…and any chance I get, I’ll clear his ass out.”

“I’d seen him and I was gaining on him, and I was watching him and couldn’t wait to get to him. At that point I don’t care if both of us go down, as long as I just get the feeling of cleaning him out. And you know, I’m not really that good at taking people out, but I mean it’s time to start learning. I think starting with that guy is a good start. Like I said, the guy’s an idiot. I don’t mean to be like funny or anything, but it’s just…I don’t know what you guys think of the idiot, but…moron.”
davistld01
3/5/2013 4:55am
IWreckALot wrote:
“Yeah, it was just dumb. What happened, I should have seen it coming. Like he was brake-checking me before I got around him. But I got...
“Yeah, it was just dumb. What happened, I should have seen it coming. Like he was brake-checking me before I got around him. But I got around him and I could tell he was faded, so I kinda went, ‘All right, I need to put on a charge and get away from this guy.’ He’s a dirty rider, and it just came into an awkward position, in the turn before the rollers. He just came in and cleaned me out.”

Continuing, Ryan said, “I’m just over this stuff. I wanted to go over there, but I mean, I’m not going to lower myself to that. I mean the guy’s an idiot. Look at him. He’s getting drunk before the race. He’s an embarrassment to our sport, I think. People say he’s good, but he’s going to learn his lesson one day it’ll come. I don’t know when. I’m not a trash-talker guy, and I ain’t gonna be nice about it, but I’m just kind of over it…what happened in Supercross. The way he went about things…and any chance I get, I’ll clear his ass out.”

“I’d seen him and I was gaining on him, and I was watching him and couldn’t wait to get to him. At that point I don’t care if both of us go down, as long as I just get the feeling of cleaning him out. And you know, I’m not really that good at taking people out, but I mean it’s time to start learning. I think starting with that guy is a good start. Like I said, the guy’s an idiot. I don’t mean to be like funny or anything, but it’s just…I don’t know what you guys think of the idiot, but…moron.”
Wonder who he's talking about...? Whistling
3/5/2013 5:10am
Reed is still a whiner.... Even when he isn't whining out loud, you can tell he's whining in his head.
Reed is the first rider that popped into my mind.
jamma10
3/5/2013 5:10am
jamma10 wrote:
SwapperMX wrote:
Hey Jamma, not real keen on this thread, but I love your signature. It makes me laugh every time I see it!!
Gotta love his wisdom Smile
crf250pilot
3/5/2013 5:26am
jamma10 wrote:
I rememeber when he got 2nd place outdoors and was telling everyone he was the "True" champion.
Zracer
3/5/2013 6:31am
davistld01 wrote:
Most of these guys have known nothing but dirt bikes since they could pee into a toilet by themselves. They have been sequestered away from any...
Most of these guys have known nothing but dirt bikes since they could pee into a toilet by themselves. They have been sequestered away from any normal social life by a racing career that cost their families everything they could scrape together, and were homeschooled if they were schooled at all. They know racing...only racing. Some are almost robotic In their focus and show little or no "people skills".

Most high level athletes are arrogant and "dicky"...because they don't know how to relate.
I find this post to be incredibly ignorant. I have found many high level athletes to be kind, gracious,Intelligent, and driven to succeed. Far too many people judge athletes by their 5 second meeting in public, Often on the day of competition. The worst possible circumstances. Rehearsed tv time or being the 5,000 th person wanting an autograph from an athlete mentally focused on other things is not seeing them as they are. Unless you are personal friends with quite a few "high level athletes", you have no basis for your opinion.
KellyMac
3/5/2013 6:33am
TripleFive wrote:
Reed is the first rider that popped into my mind.
REED X 3, I like Chad, but I'm so tired of his whining about his bike!! He needs to shut up and twist that throttle harder!!
TerryK
3/5/2013 6:43am
I don't see a single rider who deserves either of those monikers, at least not in the last 10 years or so. A actually feel bad for riders like Reed. He's asked a question about the bike, he says the bike is not quite right and people scream "WHINER!"

I just don't get it.
davistld01
3/5/2013 6:50am
davistld01 wrote:
Most of these guys have known nothing but dirt bikes since they could pee into a toilet by themselves. They have been sequestered away from any...

Zracer wrote:
I find this post to be incredibly ignorant. I have found many high level athletes to be kind, gracious,Intelligent, and driven to succeed. Far too many...
I find this post to be incredibly ignorant. I have found many high level athletes to be kind, gracious,Intelligent, and driven to succeed. Far too many people judge athletes by their 5 second meeting in public, Often on the day of competition. The worst possible circumstances. Rehearsed tv time or being the 5,000 th person wanting an autograph from an athlete mentally focused on other things is not seeing them as they are. Unless you are personal friends with quite a few "high level athletes", you have no basis for your opinion.
I've met my share. And, I didn't say "all"...I said "most"....and I should have narrowed it even further to high-level racers, not athletes. In current pro SX/MX there are the Canard, Windham, Short, Alessi, Dungey exceptions...but I still say that most high-level racers have a certain arrogance to them. Does it come from "focus" and confidence...maybe. Does it come from a lack of real communicative/social skill sets...maybe.
APLMAN99
3/5/2013 7:07am
jamma10 wrote:
You must have slept through his whiny little bitch storm when he lost a title to Dungey.......
Zracer
3/5/2013 7:07am
davistld01 wrote:
I've met my share. And, I didn't say "all"...I said "most"....and I should have narrowed it even further to high-level racers, not athletes. In current pro...
I've met my share. And, I didn't say "all"...I said "most"....and I should have narrowed it even further to high-level racers, not athletes. In current pro SX/MX there are the Canard, Windham, Short, Alessi, Dungey exceptions...but I still say that most high-level racers have a certain arrogance to them. Does it come from "focus" and confidence...maybe. Does it come from a lack of real communicative/social skill sets...maybe.
I happen to agree with this post. . Im more concerned with many of todays young riders appearing to be immature, uneducated, and detached from the real world than a level of arrogance.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
3/5/2013 7:10am
I love Jlaw but he seemed pretty arrogant back in the day. I seem to recall Weimer whining about getting stuffed a couple times last year as well
dak446
3/5/2013 7:13am
jamma10 wrote:
SwapperMX wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
Gotta love his wisdom Smile
Each week, he brings something mind blowing to the table. His keys to the race are typically game changers.
APLMAN99
3/5/2013 7:17am
I always turn the volume down when Reed is being interviewed. From the few times I have forgotten to, however, he seems like he's gotten a little bit better.

His old interviews were almost always the same. List 5-10 excuses of why he didn't win, then say "But no excuses". I was always wishing that the interviewer had asked what all the excuses before we're, then.......
malachi177
3/5/2013 9:44am
Reed tells it like it is, there's no whining IMO. Look at his podium this past weekend. He said he's finally feeling some confidence in the front end of his bike now that he's gone back to standard forks. Something about getting trust back in the bike. That's not whining, that's being brutally honest, and I respect that. He's also super cool in the pits to the fans.

Post a reply to: Top arrogant/whiny pro riders?

The Latest