Top Pros Practice Bikes + Parts

nolookpass
I'm curious about the replacement schedule and parts of the top guys' bikes - for example, is Kenny out there with a fresh top end, tires, chain, and suspension every practice, or do they go a few days/weeks before swapping stuff out?

I also assume they have a few practice bikes they burn weekly motos on, which are setup the same way as the race bikes, or do they race the same bike from practice?

Talking about the top guys (Kenny, Eli, Marvin, etc), not the privateers.
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/29/2017 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2017 4:45pm
nolookpass wrote:
I'm curious about the replacement schedule and parts of the top guys' bikes - for example, is Kenny out there with a fresh top end, tires...
I'm curious about the replacement schedule and parts of the top guys' bikes - for example, is Kenny out there with a fresh top end, tires, chain, and suspension every practice, or do they go a few days/weeks before swapping stuff out?

I also assume they have a few practice bikes they burn weekly motos on, which are setup the same way as the race bikes, or do they race the same bike from practice?

The top 450 guys who go back east run a bike for 30 hours and it gets shipped back west when another comes out their way. That’s for chassis and engine, suspension gets swapped out a lil more often but mostly due to the ever changing settings.

250 bikes back east such as Tld or husky go 30 hours as a complete bike before it gets shipped West, but the engine is swapped at 15 hours.
Mini Elsinore
12/29/2017 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2017 5:57pm
Good question and 'on point' reply!
I have wondered the same thing.
billyg371
12/30/2017 7:11am
nolookpass wrote:
I'm curious about the replacement schedule and parts of the top guys' bikes - for example, is Kenny out there with a fresh top end, tires...

I worked for a top guy in 13 (250 class) and I swapped engines at 12 hours, Clutches every day, tires every day. Chain and sprockets usually every couple days depending on wear. Bike would get disassembled down to the frame every week or every other week. Suspension would usually go 15-20 hours and we would swap it. Just depends on settings and riding conditions. We only had one practice 250 and one stock 450 with a pipe and suspension (didnt ride that much). Race bike stayed in the Rig, practice bike was very similar but had different internals to last a little longer.
lumpy790
12/30/2017 7:28am
Back in the day on 125’s we would put fresh parts on the race bike and swap out the old parts on to the practice bike. Dont think I would do that on a 250F these days.

The Shop

BobPA
12/30/2017 8:56am
billyg371 wrote:
I worked for a top guy in 13 (250 class) and I swapped engines at 12 hours, Clutches every day, tires every day. Chain and sprockets...
I worked for a top guy in 13 (250 class) and I swapped engines at 12 hours, Clutches every day, tires every day. Chain and sprockets usually every couple days depending on wear. Bike would get disassembled down to the frame every week or every other week. Suspension would usually go 15-20 hours and we would swap it. Just depends on settings and riding conditions. We only had one practice 250 and one stock 450 with a pipe and suspension (didnt ride that much). Race bike stayed in the Rig, practice bike was very similar but had different internals to last a little longer.
No wonder you’re so good at changing tires....
byke
12/30/2017 11:19am
How about the other end of the spectrum? Anyone remember Chisholm saying something about not touching the motor on his yz450 I think about 3/4 of the way through the outdoor season?
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
12/30/2017 11:24am
nolookpass wrote:

billyg371 wrote:
I worked for a top guy in 13 (250 class) and I swapped engines at 12 hours, Clutches every day, tires every day. Chain and sprockets...
Ceb Wooper I remember him

Post a reply to: Top Pros Practice Bikes + Parts

The Latest