Top 5 dirt bike racers of all time.

RandyS
Edited Date/Time 4/4/2015 2:15pm
Who do you think are the top five dirt bike racers of all time? And your reasons.

1:RC, I don't think I really need to defend this with anyone.

2-5 in no particular order, and I'm doing more than 5 because I can't narrow it down to just 5. My thread, my rules.

MC, even though his outdoor stats aren't as good as others the effect, change and dominance he had on Supercross is unmatched, his competitors believed they were racing for second for almost 10 years.

Tie Roger DeCoster and Joel Robert. They wrote the book.

Tie Stefan Everts and Antionio Cairolli. They each owned their decade.

Tie Bob Hannah, Ricky Johnson, and Ryan Villopoto. All three could have had numbers that were greater if not for injuries, RV can still move into his own spot at the top but it will take more than winning this year. Even if he didn't win this year but stayed over there a couple more years and won he can move to his own spot. Cairolli could also if RV stayed there and didn't win.

I know the first thing that's going to be posted is this is an anti James Stewart thread, do you see Chad Reed on there? I don't think either of them belong.

|
ATKpilot99
3/31/2015 10:50am
Scott Summers . Multi time off road champ on a stripped down dual sport bike . RC and Everts of course . Danny Hamel , Destry Abbott.
RandyS
3/31/2015 10:54am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Scott Summers . Multi time off road champ on a stripped down dual sport bike . RC and Everts of course . Danny Hamel , Destry...
Scott Summers . Multi time off road champ on a stripped down dual sport bike . RC and Everts of course . Danny Hamel , Destry Abbott.
Fair enough, I said dirt bike for a reason.
ATKpilot99
I should add Im just having a little fun since you didnt specify MXers. Too many great ones to name.
pete24
this thread is all over the road, but remeber Ty Davis beat MC for a sx championship before RC was even born, and i think he was ok at off road too

The Shop

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 11:22am
In the past year I've seen Rick Johnson, Jeff Matiasevich, Denny Stephenson and DV say Bubba was the most talented ever.

Very few of our opinions mean anything accept maybe Ridge, DV, Uptite and JT$, but here it goes anyway.
RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

The old timers I have to put in a different catagory because the bikes were dramatically different back then.
Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

All of the above are mostly from just watching them and being more amazed than watching other riders.
RY4N37
3/31/2015 11:42am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 11:45am
Really hard to pick a top 5, or rather, put the top 5 in order of who's better. But here's my top 5 in my lifetime:
1. Carmichael
2. Everts
3. Cairoli
4. Villopoto
5. Stewart
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/31/2015 11:55am
Easy
1.RC
2. Too Hip
3. Hurricane
4. RV
5.MC
6.Bubba

Too hard to compare GP's to AMA as they don't race SX for various different reasons.

GP only
1. The Man
2. AC222
3. Everts
4. Roberts
5. Mikkola
6. Hallman
brlatm
3/31/2015 12:00pm
1. RC
2. Everts
3. Hannah
4. Villo
5. Magoo
ocscottie
3/31/2015 12:00pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
In the past year I've seen Rick Johnson, Jeff Matiasevich, Denny Stephenson and DV say Bubba was the most talented ever. Very few of our opinions...
In the past year I've seen Rick Johnson, Jeff Matiasevich, Denny Stephenson and DV say Bubba was the most talented ever.

Very few of our opinions mean anything accept maybe Ridge, DV, Uptite and JT$, but here it goes anyway.
RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

The old timers I have to put in a different catagory because the bikes were dramatically different back then.
Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

All of the above are mostly from just watching them and being more amazed than watching other riders.
Chip, im really curious, how on Gods green earth can you put RV ahead of RC?
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 12:04pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
In the past year I've seen Rick Johnson, Jeff Matiasevich, Denny Stephenson and DV say Bubba was the most talented ever. Very few of our opinions...

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

ocscottie wrote:
Chip, im really curious, how on Gods green earth can you put RV ahead of RC?
I'm sorry brother, those are in no particular order Smile

I should have specified that. Wink
zehn
3/31/2015 12:17pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

Are Ridge and Uptite former pros? n00b question I know, but I wasn't aware that they were.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 12:19pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

zehn wrote:
Are Ridge and Uptite former pros? n00b question I know, but I wasn't aware that they were.
Yes
huck
3/31/2015 12:22pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

zehn wrote:
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Yes
What makes their opinions more valuable than 'ours'?
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 12:29pm
I think a professional or former professional in any sport will have a much more educated and accurate opinion than someone who has never been a professional in that sport.
Zracer
3/31/2015 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 12:30pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

JS7 is a great rider but a mediocre racer and doesn't belong near any of the best RACER lists, I think its odd that you idolize pro riders so much that you actually think their opinion means more than anybody elses. Many former pros are biased as we are . You have some "hero" issues.

1 RC
2 Everts
3 MC
4 RV
5 Cairoli
3/31/2015 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 12:31pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Scott Summers . Multi time off road champ on a stripped down dual sport bike . RC and Everts of course . Danny Hamel , Destry...
Agreed. Juha Salminen also still stands out in my mind as one of the most incredible riders I've ever seen. He was one of those guys that made it look so effortless to go so much faster.

I'll never forget the 2005 Yadkin Valley Stomp GNCC when Juha came around on the first lap, came through the finish, back into the woods, disappeared, and it was almost silent. He pulled such a huge lead on the first lap. He actually ended up running out of gas that day, but if it hadn't been for that, he would've been on his own all day.

Kailub Russell has come into his own the past couple of seasons and we're starting to see that same kind of domination that Juha had.

Barry Hawk is also undoubtedly one of the greatest off-road racers of all time. I know the typical Vital user despises quads (because ya know, it matters so much to C riders that there's quad ruts - kidding!) but for a guy to rack up 7 titles on a quad while working his way up through the bike ranks at the same time, then switching full-time to a bike and coming away with a title there and finishing 2nd in points for a number of other years is pretty incredible.
Flex
3/31/2015 12:32pm
Rc
Everts
Ac222
Rv
Js7
huck
3/31/2015 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 12:33pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
I think a professional or former professional in any sport will have a much more educated and accurate opinion than someone who has never been a...
I think a professional or former professional in any sport will have a much more educated and accurate opinion than someone who has never been a professional in that sport.
Does that mean that Aldon Baker shouldn't be entitled to his own opinion on this subject? Or Mitch Payton?
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 12:32pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

Zracer wrote:
JS7 is a great rider but a mediocre racer and doesn't belong near any of the best RACER lists, I think its odd that you idolize...
JS7 is a great rider but a mediocre racer and doesn't belong near any of the best RACER lists, I think its odd that you idolize pro riders so much that you actually think their opinion means more than anybody elses. Many former pros are biased as we are . You have some "hero" issues.

1 RC
2 Everts
3 MC
4 RV
5 Cairoli
No hero issues, I like all the riders pretty close to the same. I don't see dirt bike riders as "hero's".
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 12:33pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
I think a professional or former professional in any sport will have a much more educated and accurate opinion than someone who has never been a...
huck wrote:
Does that mean that Aldon Baker shouldn't be entitled to his own opinion on this subject? Or Mitch Payton?
Sure, everyone is entitled, and they probably have some very good ones.
Zracer
3/31/2015 12:38pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

RV
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
MCGrath

Hannah
Smith
Magoo
Bailey
RJ

Zracer wrote:
JS7 is a great rider but a mediocre racer and doesn't belong near any of the best RACER lists, I think its odd that you idolize...

1 RC
2 Everts
3 MC
4 RV
5 Cairoli
gsxrcr28 wrote:
No hero issues, I like all the riders pretty close to the same. I don't see dirt bike riders as "hero's".
Awhile back I was talking to a current top pro racer in another sport. I brought up a few racers from before his time, some guys I know.... just talking about old times. The current pro knew nothing about these guys who were champions of his own sport! He had no opinions of the sport before his time . Your trust that "pros" know more about a sport than anybody else is VERY misguided,
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/31/2015 12:40pm
Zracer wrote:

1 RC
2 Everts
3 MC
4 RV
5 Cairoli
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Zracer wrote:
Awhile back I was talking to a current top pro racer in another sport. I brought up a few racers from before his time, some guys...
Awhile back I was talking to a current top pro racer in another sport. I brought up a few racers from before his time, some guys I know.... just talking about old times. The current pro knew nothing about these guys who were champions of his own sport! He had no opinions of the sport before his time . Your trust that "pros" know more about a sport than anybody else is VERY misguided,
Oh ok thanks Laughing
zehn
3/31/2015 12:41pm
Zracer wrote:

1 RC
2 Everts
3 MC
4 RV
5 Cairoli
Did you really just label a multi-time champion ( c'ships in both disciplines) who also had a perfect season a "mediocre racer"?
Detroit Dick
3/31/2015 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 8:39pm
NPO
DeCoster
Hanna
Malcom Smith
John Penton
Bubba Stewart

Obviously, RC, MC, RV, TC, RJ, MAGOO, Pomeroy,Lackey, Robert, etc....
I chose my 5 for the impact they had on our sport, but there's been so many greats it's impossible to choose only 5.
Gotta add Mouse Mcoy (ever seen Dust to Glory? AMAZING) Kurt Caselli & Al Baker.
PabstBR11
3/31/2015 12:42pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
huck wrote:
Aren't they professionals in the sport?
Flex
3/31/2015 12:42pm
zehn wrote:
Did you really just label a multi-time champion ( c'ships in both disciplines) who also had a perfect season a "mediocre racer"?
Has won every USA championship you can win as well!!!!!!!
zehn
3/31/2015 12:45pm
zehn wrote:
Flex wrote:
Has won every USA championship you can win as well!!!!!!!
Yep

Post a reply to: Top 5 dirt bike racers of all time.

The Latest