Top 5 Greatest MXGP racers of all-time

J. Sloan
Edited Date/Time 7/19/2022 6:18am
5. Eric Geboers. Was the first rider to win a World Title in all three classes. Eric won in the 125, 250, and 500 class. Eric was incredibly gifted, very humble, and could ride a dirt bike like no other. R.I.P.

4. Joël Robert. 6 time World champion in the 250 class. Smoked cigs, drank beer and still kicked ass.

3. Stefan Everts. Passed James Stewart on the outside, standing up. That alone puts him on this list, but he has a bunch of World Titles to boot.

2. Roger DeCoster. The Man is a 5-time 500cc World Champion with a ton of wins to his credit. He was the European version of Hannah with his popularity and his achievements after his career as a racer cannot be overstated.

1. Antonio Cairoli. The G.O.A.T. of the MXGP scene. 222 did it all; faced the stiffest competition during his career, won a bunch of World Titles, and even raced in America after his retirement and kept getting better and better with each race until he called it a day and went back home. Legend.

|
RG1
7/18/2022 12:24am
Herlings is easily one of the 5 best guys to race MXGP
Mavetism
7/18/2022 1:09am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 1:15am
1. Stefan Everts - Won a championship on every brand, in every class and also won an overall in three different classes on a single weekend. 10 World Championships, also five time MXON winner.

2. Antonio Cairoli - 9 World Championships in a different era and against a possibly more stacked competition. Was still able to win races against fast guys like Herlings and Gajser while being 10+ years older.

3. Roger de Coster - 5 titles in the big boy class, THE MAN.

4. Jeffrey Herlings - 5 world titles so far and probably the fastest guy we have ever seen on a dirt bike (obviously debatle. Stewart, 2015 Tomac, 2016 Roczen are probably also in this conversation). Sadly he threw a lot of titles because he always wanted to destroy his competition and win every race at all cost. Will probably break Stefan Everts record for most ever wins next year.

5. Joël Smets - 5 world championships and 4 in the big boy class.

Notable mentions: Tim Gajser will probably be in this list aswell after that year. He is only 25 right now and will already have 5 world championships at the end of 2022. He might catch up to Cairoli if he continues like that, but this also depends on Herlings in the upcoming years.

Just my personal list, really lucky to have witnessed Everts, Cairoli and Herlings live.
bowl
7/18/2022 3:00am
Tim gajser has 3 450 titles and 1 250.
After Tim grabs his fourth 450 title he will be n front of jh 84 by a fair bit
450 titles mean more then 250 titles. IMO

End of the day jh84 might be faster , BUT TG243 is more consistent and less injury prone.
ID ALSO have smets ahead of jh at this point of his career.
Be interesting to see who gets more 45o titles between the 84 and 243 when they r both dine racing
bowl
7/18/2022 3:01am
Mavetism wrote:
1. Stefan Everts - Won a championship on every brand, in every class and also won an overall in three different classes on a single weekend...
1. Stefan Everts - Won a championship on every brand, in every class and also won an overall in three different classes on a single weekend. 10 World Championships, also five time MXON winner.

2. Antonio Cairoli - 9 World Championships in a different era and against a possibly more stacked competition. Was still able to win races against fast guys like Herlings and Gajser while being 10+ years older.

4. Jeffrey Herlings - 5 world titles so far and probably the fastest guy we have ever seen on a dirt bike (obviously debatle. Stewart, 2015 Tomac, 2016 Roczen are probably also in this conversation). Sadly he threw a lot of titles because he always wanted to destroy his competition and win every race at all cost. Will probably break Stefan Everts record for most ever wins next year.

Notable mentions: Tim Gajser will probably be in this list aswell after that year. He is only 25 right now and will already have 5 world championships at the end of 2022. He might catch up to Cairoli if he continues like that, but this also depends on Herlings in the upcoming years.

Just my personal list, really lucky to have witnessed Everts, Cairoli and Herlings live.
Nice list

The Shop

J. Sloan
7/18/2022 4:24am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 7:14am
Mavetism wrote:
1. Stefan Everts - Won a championship on every brand, in every class and also won an overall in three different classes on a single weekend...

Nice list, but Everts had less competition than Cairoli imho. Also Smets never beat Everts (lost to him when Everts moved up), and a few title chases.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
7/18/2022 4:37am
Throwing oddball at ya

TOP5 MXGP guys to never win the title
1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
RG1
7/18/2022 4:56am
Throwing oddball at ya TOP5 MXGP guys to never win the title 1.) Joshua Coppins 2.) Gautier Paulin 3.) Clement Desalle 4.) Max Nagl 5.) Nicolas...
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
Nicholas Aubin? 😂😂😂
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
7/18/2022 6:44am
Throwing oddball at ya TOP5 MXGP guys to never win the title 1.) Joshua Coppins 2.) Gautier Paulin 3.) Clement Desalle 4.) Max Nagl 5.) Nicolas...
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
RG1 wrote:
Nicholas Aubin? 😂😂😂
Hey, he was kinda good on 250 until he wasn't. Unsure the 450 was never great but for me it was between Manuel Priem and him. LaughingGrinningGrinning is there any other exceptional guy like the 4 others who never won the title? Sideways

Maybe JvH89 but he is still racing and has mathematical chance to do it this year. Laughing Shaun Simpson? Tommy Searle?... Maybe but they regressed a lot at the end, all mentioned in the list were threats till their last race.
Robgvx
7/18/2022 6:57am
Are you just recycling all your Facebook bait Jimmy? 😉
Robgvx
7/18/2022 6:58am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
Kurt Nicoll is on the phone for you…
DeStouwer
7/18/2022 7:01am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
RG1 wrote:
Nicholas Aubin? 😂😂😂
Hey, he was kinda good on 250 until he wasn't. :unsure: the 450 was never great but for me it was between Manuel Priem and him...
Hey, he was kinda good on 250 until he wasn't. Unsure the 450 was never great but for me it was between Manuel Priem and him. LaughingGrinningGrinning is there any other exceptional guy like the 4 others who never won the title? Sideways

Maybe JvH89 but he is still racing and has mathematical chance to do it this year. Laughing Shaun Simpson? Tommy Searle?... Maybe but they regressed a lot at the end, all mentioned in the list were threats till their last race.
Bervoets, Beirer, Nicoll, Demaria, De Dycker,... Plenty of options I'd choose over Aubin.
RG1
7/18/2022 7:02am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
RG1 wrote:
Nicholas Aubin? 😂😂😂
Hey, he was kinda good on 250 until he wasn't. :unsure: the 450 was never great but for me it was between Manuel Priem and him...

Nicoll comes to mind immediately, Searle, Nagl, Strijbos, De Dycker, Tonus etc. Would have to go a long way down the list to arrive at Nic Aubin and even then I’m not sure I would 😂
motomike137
7/18/2022 7:04am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 7:04am
Mikkola has to be in this conversation somewhere. Sloans list is not easy to fault though. I would argue that Stefan was the most "gifted" of the modern guys (whatever that is) and Cairolli was the hard working Energizer Bunny that just won and won and won. Emotionally I want Roger at the top of the list. The sport has enough history that doing top 5 or even 10 can be difficult. Just like with American motocross you have greats and then you have icons. The icons don't always have the sheer numbers and conversely the greats don't always ascend to iconic status. It's fun to ponder though that's for sure.
wreckitrandy
7/18/2022 7:12am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
No Sylvane Geboers? Wolsink? C'mon man!
wreckitrandy
7/18/2022 7:22am
RG1 wrote:
Don't know about easily... What about Smets?
J. Sloan
7/18/2022 7:31am
Smets lost in a few season, and when Everts stepped up to his class, Smets lost to Everts 3 seasons in a row.
RG1
7/18/2022 7:43am
RG1 wrote:
Could you ever say that Smets was the best rider in the world? Great rider yes and multi-time world champ but often wasn’t racing in the premier class and I wouldn’t put him in the Top 5.
wreckitrandy
7/18/2022 8:06am
RG1 wrote:
RG1 wrote:
Could you ever say that Smets was the best rider in the world? Great rider yes and multi-time world champ but often wasn’t racing in the...
Could you ever say that Smets was the best rider in the world? Great rider yes and multi-time world champ but often wasn’t racing in the premier class and I wouldn’t put him in the Top 5.
People 'say' that James was TFMOTP but the numbers say he never beat RC for an outdoor title. Wasn't even close. Smets has 5 world championships... By hook or, by crook,,, that's at least equal to Herlings.
RG1
7/18/2022 8:38am
RG1 wrote:
Could you ever say that Smets was the best rider in the world? Great rider yes and multi-time world champ but often wasn’t racing in the...
People 'say' that James was TFMOTP but the numbers say he never beat RC for an outdoor title. Wasn't even close. Smets has 5 world championships...
People 'say' that James was TFMOTP but the numbers say he never beat RC for an outdoor title. Wasn't even close. Smets has 5 world championships... By hook or, by crook,,, that's at least equal to Herlings.
I’m not massively bothered what the stats sheets say, anyone with working eyes knows that Herlings is better than Smets ever was. Again, Smets was a great rider, but aside from maybe 1-2 seasons I’m not sure he’d ever be considered as one of the 3 best guys in the world at any point in his career. Yes he won 5 titles, but in a class that was far from the premier class by that point, look at the guys he beat for those titles. It was never any of the big hitters you associate with GP motocross at that time, it was guys like Garcia Vico, Trampas Parker, Shayne King. Again all good riders in their own right, but we’re talking about Top 5 all time here
Marcello10
7/18/2022 8:44am
Herlings at 27 years old has won five world titles, 99 gps and 186 motos, if he's not the best he's at least second or third all time
TalinH112
7/18/2022 8:44am
bowl wrote:
Tim gajser has 3 450 titles and 1 250. After Tim grabs his fourth 450 title he will be n front of jh 84 by a...
Tim gajser has 3 450 titles and 1 250.
After Tim grabs his fourth 450 title he will be n front of jh 84 by a fair bit
450 titles mean more then 250 titles. IMO

End of the day jh84 might be faster , BUT TG243 is more consistent and less injury prone.
ID ALSO have smets ahead of jh at this point of his career.
Be interesting to see who gets more 45o titles between the 84 and 243 when they r both dine racing
I 100 percent agree with your Tim Gajser take but not because he doesn’t crash hard enough to hurt him self it’s simply because he seems to be made of some sort or rubber composite. 😂
7/18/2022 8:58am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
Bervoets?
jambalaya
7/18/2022 9:05am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
Desalle over paulin comfortably
wreckitrandy
7/18/2022 9:20am
RG1 wrote:
People 'say' that James was TFMOTP but the numbers say he never beat RC for an outdoor title. Wasn't even close. Smets has 5 world championships...
RG1 wrote:
I’m not massively bothered what the stats sheets say, anyone with working eyes knows that Herlings is better than Smets ever was. Again, Smets was a...
I’m not massively bothered what the stats sheets say, anyone with working eyes knows that Herlings is better than Smets ever was. Again, Smets was a great rider, but aside from maybe 1-2 seasons I’m not sure he’d ever be considered as one of the 3 best guys in the world at any point in his career. Yes he won 5 titles, but in a class that was far from the premier class by that point, look at the guys he beat for those titles. It was never any of the big hitters you associate with GP motocross at that time, it was guys like Garcia Vico, Trampas Parker, Shayne King. Again all good riders in their own right, but we’re talking about Top 5 all time here
All anyone can do is beat the guys that show up. None of Smets' titles were from the MX2 class.
J. Sloan
7/18/2022 9:23am
Marcello10 wrote:
Herlings at 27 years old has won five world titles, 99 gps and 186 motos, if he's not the best he's at least second or third...
Herlings at 27 years old has won five world titles, 99 gps and 186 motos, if he's not the best he's at least second or third all time
Yes, Herlings could replace Geboers, but is not ahead of the top 4.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
7/18/2022 9:48am
To conclude the controversy i started i admit that nicholl wolsink and bervoets should be up there but as a 90's kid they were ripping way ahead of the time i gave a damn about mx, so that's my excuse and i rest my case. Grinning
And Yves Demaria has MX3 world title. That counts, right? Come on... Don't send me into the mental asylum for calling mx3 a world championship. Grinning
Spoonguy
7/18/2022 9:48am
Mikkola, Decoster, Joel Robert, George Jobe, Eric Geboers
tomlopez
7/18/2022 9:52am
Mavetism wrote:

I'm not well-versed in MXGP history or stats, but the explanations you provided helped me and I enjoyed reading it. Only thing I have to say is when you mention fastest man to ever ride a bike, I think Carmichael is part of that conversation. I think his speed could be underappreciated because he had it every single week so it wasn't as noticeable, whereas guys like Tomac and Stew had their bad rounds, so when they brought their A-game it stood out more.
7/18/2022 9:53am
Throwing oddball at ya

1.) Joshua Coppins
2.) Gautier Paulin
3.) Clement Desalle
4.) Max Nagl
5.) Nicolas Aubin
RG1 wrote:
Nicholas Aubin? 😂😂😂

Manuel Priem, wow that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time!

Post a reply to: Top 5 Greatest MXGP racers of all-time

The Latest