Tools you’ve made/adapted for MX

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2018 3:19 PM

As the title says. What are some tools you’ve made or adapted for MX. Either in a pinch or regular use.

Here is a screwdriver thing we grinded down to bleed the forks on our Yamahas when the bars are in the forward mounts. Push bleeders were on back order.
Photo

Here is a oil pump regulator adapted to for putting air in the tires. The very end of the “danger zone” is equal to ~ 1 bar (14-15 psi.)

Photo

Post them up!

|

10/5/2018 4:03 PM

no pics but I went to napa and bought a kyb fork cap remover. it fit perfect. I forget what it actually was lol

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

10/5/2018 4:08 PM

Have some older t handles and found some magnets to drop in them. - worthless

|

10/5/2018 4:16 PM

smoothies862 wrote:

no pics but I went to napa and bought a kyb fork cap remover. it fit perfect. I forget what it actually was lol

8 point socket?

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

10/5/2018 4:20 PM

Not so much "made," but I adapted an old RM125 axle nut wrench that came in the tool pouch for use on more modern YZ steering head nuts. The wrench is very slim, so it will fit underneath a 7/8" bar and I can remove the upper triple clamp without removing the bars. cool

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/5/2018 5:21 PM

Does this count?
Back in 1999 I was 10 yrs old, my Dad was a mechanic by day so to help me with my starts he grabbed some steel from work and welded a custom single start gate. Had a pin attached to fishing line for him to pull. You can buy them now but back then I don't remember those being readily available. Definitely a 'tool' we used at every practice.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

10/5/2018 5:45 PM

Way back in the day....When you had to buy special allen head wrenches to reach way down in the fork tubes to take the retainer apart...I found the correct sized grade 8 bolt and welded it to a city water cutoff wrench. I used it for many years.
Over the years I have made tools to hold clutch baskets, flywheel pullers, fork tools, case splitters, bike stands and many other special tools for bikes.

Paw Paw

|

10/5/2018 6:25 PM

I didn’t invent it but I have modified a screw driver for suspension tuning. It’s specific and works perfectly and my wife is always frickin using it for other shit and doesn’t put it back. It’s a cause for concern.

|

10/5/2018 6:34 PM

I use a belt strap wrench to pull clutches.

|

10/5/2018 7:29 PM

My wife’s dish washer for cleaning parts.... when she’s not home

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

10/5/2018 8:15 PM

Nuffsaid wrote:

My wife’s dish washer for cleaning parts.... when she’s not home

haha amen to that.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

10/5/2018 10:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2018 9:05 PM

Going through my suspension tools this morning, getting ready for a shock re-valve, re-oil , here's a few for that job / application I've made:

Ohlins PDS TTX Tools - Wing nutted - bolted together to keep together - loose bottom one is a Cane Creek shock seal head tool : Photo

Damping Adjuster and Pre-load tool I made for my PDS'd CRE500 - it fits neatly into my 30 years old MSR fender tool roll :

Photo

IFP setting / cycling and removal (and Resi Cap removal) tools :
Photo

I've made so many special tools / toolings / jig fittings over the years - many of which, now, I'm buggered if I know what they were for, years / decades later dizzy .

|

10/6/2018 12:04 AM

Simple but efficient. Just drilled a hole in a bike stand to make it a tire changing stand.
Photo
Photo

|

10/6/2018 12:18 AM

imoto34 wrote:

Have some older t handles and found some magnets to drop in them. - worthless

do you mean worthless or priceless?

|

10/6/2018 1:19 AM

braaap wrote:

Simple but efficient. Just drilled a hole in a bike stand to make it a tire changing stand.
Photo
Photo

Great idea, but where do you put your bike?

|

10/6/2018 2:10 AM

steering wheel puller for a flywheel puller

tire valve 4 way tool for bladder cap puller

|

10/6/2018 6:42 AM

Back in the late 90's my dad invented a little tool to pull the valve stems through the rim. He was giving them out at local races just to help out. A few years later a local suspension guy patented his idea and sold it to Motion Pro.

|

10/6/2018 6:53 AM

Tire spoons,

Fork cap spanners by tack welding short pieces of metal around the cap then finish welding with a handle.

Long t handles to reach down in forks to disassemble.

Tools for shocks,the old white power from the 80s mainly.

Fixture to measure fork spring rate,they used to be all over on rate.

Case splitters

Many more i can't recall at the moment

|

10/6/2018 6:59 AM

My best invention is an aluminum foil to train the transmission oil (for bikes where the drain screw is on the side of the bike and not on bottom).

|

10/6/2018 7:45 AM

Shes prototyping some supercross worthy hubs right now. Photo

|

10/6/2018 7:56 AM

I’ll have to snap some pictures when I get back to the shop but I’ve got a couple.
Favorite one is probably a little adaptor made of a box end wrench and a 3 inch extension to torque cylinder nuts. Originally for a Polaris sleds but helps on 2 strokes where the nut is tucked in the pv linkage housing. Gotta compensate for the extended length but it works.
Most useful is probably thread chasers, cut some tapered grooves on an angle into a throwaway bolt, boom. Cleans the threads and spits out debris as you run it in.

|

RPM Performance
CT

10/6/2018 10:59 AM

mister2dt wrote:

Prove out will go smoother if you put a drill into the chuck ?

|

10/6/2018 11:09 AM

Photo
|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

10/6/2018 12:31 PM

mister2dt wrote:

R.EX wrote:

Prove out will go smoother if you put a drill into the chuck ?

LOL!! I took the pic in the middle of a tool change operation. Had to replace the hard drive and the spindle wasnt lined up with the tool changer. All good now and rippin chips again

|

10/6/2018 2:16 PM

This rain bird sprinkler adjuster works perfectly for the Honda cam chain tensioner.
Photo

|

10/6/2018 4:45 PM

hillbilly wrote:

Tire spoons,

Fork cap spanners by tack welding short pieces of metal around the cap then finish welding with a handle.

Case splitters

Okay, how do you measure the spring rate?

|

10/6/2018 5:05 PM

Photo
|

10/9/2018 4:47 PM

murph783 wrote:

I’ll have to snap some pictures when I get back to the shop but I’ve got a couple.
Favorite one is probably a little adaptor made of a box end wrench and a 3 inch extension to torque cylinder nuts. Originally for a Polaris sleds but helps on 2 strokes where the nut is tucked in the pv linkage housing. Gotta compensate for the extended length but it works.
Most useful is probably thread chasers, cut some tapered grooves on an angle into a throwaway bolt, boom. Cleans the threads and spits out debris as you run it in.

Photo
|

RPM Performance
CT

10/9/2018 8:56 PM

I didn't have a short enough drain pan so I had to use get smart with my chipotle lid Photo

My dad has a bunch of nifty home made tools. I'll try and get pics .

|

10/10/2018 5:00 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Tire spoons,

Case splitters

Matt Fisher wrote:

Okay, how do you measure the spring rate?

Measure the free length.

Put the spring over a wooden dowel held at the bottom somehow.

Put some workout weights on the spring until it is compressed roughly one inch. This will actually be your starting point. Stack more weights until it moves one inch, then again until it moves two inches. The amount of weights to get it to move from 1 ich to 2, then 2 to 3 is your rate. DO NOT count from 0 - 1.

|