Too easy to ride fast.

I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find it. I have noticed a lot of local riders being carted off lately. Anyone else think it could be from the bikes being so good that almost any ride can go fast? All the big bike are so good, but the mini bikes are mostly running 10+ years behind in technology. Mini bike crashes seam to be about the same a normal because kids have to know how to ride to make them go fast. Just wondering if I'm alone thinking this.

P.S. this isn't a 2 vs 4 stroke thing.
|
Zracer
7/30/2016 11:54pm
Has anyone looked into the possibility the dirt bike community is just getting dumber?
chump6784
7/31/2016 2:28am
I don't think there is any doubt injuries are getting more frequent and more severe.

Bikes now are so easy to ride fast that it instills a false sense of security. That coupled with the extra weight of modern bikes and I think it's a recipe for injuries

The Shop

7/31/2016 3:10am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2016 3:10am
Yea, all you have to do is steer and twist the right throttle!

Oh wait did you see that kid on the rm85 pass that guy on that 450 SX Factory Edition?
hillbilly
7/31/2016 3:17am
Tracks are prepped to much, guys with large liquid grain storage get used to pulling back the right hand and sitting while the scenery fly by, when the tractor wont start and the track gets old school it seat bounces the large liquid grain storage unit into a hospital.
Sas Squach
7/31/2016 3:50am
More trump fans for sure
mx317 wrote:
Cause Hillary fans don't ride..
You cant ride with purple hair, its a rule, something about the dye effecting brain cells.

I blame SX type jumps

tempura
7/31/2016 4:08am
Zracer wrote:
Has anyone looked into the possibility the dirt bike community is just getting dumber?
It's the fluoride in your drinking water
mattmatt300
7/31/2016 6:50am
More trump fans for sure
Because they're the ones with jobs that allow them to afford a bike? Makes sense.
DavidR
7/31/2016 7:18am
I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find it. I have noticed a lot of local riders being carted off lately. Anyone else...
I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find it. I have noticed a lot of local riders being carted off lately. Anyone else think it could be from the bikes being so good that almost any ride can go fast? All the big bike are so good, but the mini bikes are mostly running 10+ years behind in technology. Mini bike crashes seam to be about the same a normal because kids have to know how to ride to make them go fast. Just wondering if I'm alone thinking this.

When ever someone says "it's not a 2 vs 4 stroke thing" rest assured...........it's a 2 vs 4 stroke thing.
JWACK
7/31/2016 7:28am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2016 7:28am
Maybe they should be riding quads if they can't keep it up right.
kawasa84
7/31/2016 7:32am
After reading the comments to this point, I would say, if you have a great paying job because you support Trump, You don't dye you're hair, and you ride the latest 4 stroke bikes, you're probably going to end up throwing it away on an un-groomed track and end up being carted off?
Did I get this right??
Ted722
7/31/2016 7:45am
I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find it. I have noticed a lot of local riders being carted off lately. Anyone else...

DavidR wrote:
When ever someone says "it's not a 2 vs 4 stroke thing" rest assured...........it's a 2 vs 4 stroke thing.
I ride a current 4-stroke faster than a current 2-stroke.
gt80rider
7/31/2016 7:49am
I see a lot of younger guys wading it up big time. We did that all the time "back in the day" too, but we were hitting the ground 5 or 10 mph slower than they do now days. Plus, a lot of guys are out practicing wfo all the time because they think they are gonna win at Loretta's this year. It's all about "win at any cost" to everyone, instead of doing it for the love of the sport and to improve ones skills.
Forty
7/31/2016 7:55am
hillbilly wrote:
Tracks are prepped to much, guys with large liquid grain storage get used to pulling back the right hand and sitting while the scenery fly by...
Tracks are prepped to much, guys with large liquid grain storage get used to pulling back the right hand and sitting while the scenery fly by, when the tractor wont start and the track gets old school it seat bounces the large liquid grain storage unit into a hospital.
There's some truth.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
7/31/2016 8:05am
But.. But.. I could do it on my PS4?
steezenation
7/31/2016 8:27am
More trump fans for sure
mx317 wrote:
Cause Hillary fans don't ride..
Sas Squach wrote:
You cant ride with purple hair, its a rule, something about the dye effecting brain cells.

I blame SX type jumps

lmaooo this is great. i've got purple hair and can rip just fine. keep the politics out of the sport. i'm sure the kids passing you will care when you yell about who you're supporting.
Eddie_E
7/31/2016 8:32am
It's the tracks, pure and simple. The pro level track layout and grooming from 20 years ago would be called a "Vet track" now. Now that half the bikes on any Podunk track are 450's, the guys grooming think all tables need to be 80+ feet and the doubles need to be 50+ feet with a steep landing right after a sharp corner. SX jumps give SX injuries.

If the layout stays 125 friendly for more than a year, then many of the C-riders and Vets will go back to smaller bikes on their own.

Of course that would mean one or two tracks in a 200 mile radius would have to embrace the idea of being a Vet track rather than all of them trying to lure the real Rippa's.
Flatliner
7/31/2016 8:46am
Lots of guys got hurt in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

We just didn't have wide spread forums and social media then so not everyone read about it instantly.
motogrady
7/31/2016 8:54am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2016 8:57am
I dunno.
Guys have always been getting injured doing this.
But, I have noticed the severity of injuries are a bit more common.
It's like, almost cool, it's accepted to break a femur now a days.

It's a few things IMO.
The bikes, way more power.
Back in the day, most were scared to even get on an open bike.
Now, a 60 hp 450 is the norm.
Sure, the handling is better, the brakes are great, the suspension unreal, but that doesn't change the fact
guys are going way faster, and when they mess up, poof, you're in real trouble.

The tracks. Nobody here can argue, the man made jumps, cause most if the catastrophic injuries.
A few different ways. Coming up short. Landing on other riders. Over the bars because of a lip.
Nobody can deny it, big jumps are cool, but they also kill, with glee.

And the main thing, the mindset created in a large part by the media.
When guys see 80 riders flying thru the air when they tune in to this weeks SX National, it's real easy to get sucked
Into the belief that thats normal, most anyone can do it. Or should be able to do it.
So they just go out to the local sand pit, or track, and it's wfo, like it's supposed to be.

Big hp, big track obstacles, big head and poof, big injury.

That's what I think, anyway.
Forty
7/31/2016 9:04am
motogrady wrote:
I dunno. Guys have always been getting injured doing this. But, I have noticed the severity of injuries are a bit more common. It's like, almost...
I dunno.
Guys have always been getting injured doing this.
But, I have noticed the severity of injuries are a bit more common.
It's like, almost cool, it's accepted to break a femur now a days.

It's a few things IMO.
The bikes, way more power.
Back in the day, most were scared to even get on an open bike.
Now, a 60 hp 450 is the norm.
Sure, the handling is better, the brakes are great, the suspension unreal, but that doesn't change the fact
guys are going way faster, and when they mess up, poof, you're in real trouble.

The tracks. Nobody here can argue, the man made jumps, cause most if the catastrophic injuries.
A few different ways. Coming up short. Landing on other riders. Over the bars because of a lip.
Nobody can deny it, big jumps are cool, but they also kill, with glee.

And the main thing, the mindset created in a large part by the media.
When guys see 80 riders flying thru the air when they tune in to this weeks SX National, it's real easy to get sucked
Into the belief that thats normal, most anyone can do it. Or should be able to do it.
So they just go out to the local sand pit, or track, and it's wfo, like it's supposed to be.

Big hp, big track obstacles, big head and poof, big injury.

That's what I think, anyway.
Yep, everything has been changed/improved/better protected and dialed in except how the human body responds to hitting the deck at 30 mph.

mark_swart
7/31/2016 9:40am
chump6784 wrote:
I don't think there is any doubt injuries are getting more frequent and more severe. Bikes now are so easy to ride fast that it instills...
I don't think there is any doubt injuries are getting more frequent and more severe.

Bikes now are so easy to ride fast that it instills a false sense of security. That coupled with the extra weight of modern bikes and I think it's a recipe for injuries
Yep. My theory is that extra weight = extra leverage to slam you when you go down.
St Ann More
7/31/2016 9:46am

DavidR wrote:
You beat me to it...
Torco1
7/31/2016 10:01am
Anyone can go down to their local dealer and buy a bike and all the gear they need. Then that person can go to any track, pay the gate fee and then proceed to ride on the same track that holds professional races. It doesn't matter if you've only ridden once or twice in your life, there is nothing stopping you from going out and riding some of the fastest, most technical or giant jump filled tracks that you can find. If you have no business riding a track...it won't matter what bike you're riding. Take a person that has played a few high school football games and throw them out in an NFL game......watch how long it takes them to get hurt. I've seen plenty of people riding tracks that had no business whatsoever being out there and when they end up at the hospital.....the only thing to blame will be themselves for making stupid ass decisions.....not the bike or track, just themselves.
MX558
7/31/2016 10:13am
It's the speed for sure . I was hitting in the mid to high 50s on the straight yesterday on my 350 . Ironically I crashed hard in a slow rutted up section. Getting xray on the ribbys as we speak .
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
7/31/2016 10:25am
More trump fans for sure
Because they're the ones with jobs that allow them to afford a bike? Makes sense.
Does that mean only ~30% of the population has a job? I guess Monday just opened up for me Grinning
mattmatt300
7/31/2016 10:33am
colintrax wrote:
Does that mean only ~30% of the population has a job? I guess Monday just opened up for me Grinning
Are you the only lib in Taylorsville?
usafwx
7/31/2016 10:40am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2016 10:42am
Jumps coupled with the dick swinging mentality that seems to be rampant in our sport. Tracks continue to get more gnarly and technical while everyone wants to be the fastest, biggest whip, biggest d**k, dopest gear and bike setup guy at the track, recipe for injury. Hell more often then not I find myself in B practice even though Im a more skilled C rider as its safer because there are definitely guys that should not be on the race track in C practice. Hell when I first started riding I spent 6 months on the beginner 2 jump track and worked my way up to the intermediate practice track, then race track. I also understand the meaning of keeping your line, being aware of your position and other guys on the track and not rolling the middle of a jump, definitely not the case here in NJ, dude goes out and buys a new 450 loads up and comes to the track causing injury to himself and others because he has no business out there. Could go on forever, end rant.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
7/31/2016 12:55pm
I bet it's the tracks mostly--4 or 5 helicopter rides out of Freestone last night, some real steep faces on tables with kickers that were pretty sketchy.

Post a reply to: Too easy to ride fast.

The Latest