Too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?

Crush
1/22/2020 5:14am
Question wrote:
Ah 95 ! This one is correct !
Crush wrote:
Didn't KW do High-Point as number 787 or something on a KX125 in 1994?
Question wrote:
Yup he debuted outdoor. which is why i said SX in 95 Wink
Shame on me for not reading the thread properly! haha
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/22/2020 5:39am
Howz about we just enjoy the kid as he matures and not put this kind of pressure on him? There is a long list of phenom...
Howz about we just enjoy the kid as he matures and not put this kind of pressure on him? There is a long list of phenom teenagers that would be above him imho.
Momus wrote:
Name 5 of them?
1 Stewart won the 125 East title and national championship, is the youngest AMA winner.
2 Bradshaw won the 125 East title and several outdoor nationals
3 Lechien Won 2 250/450 sx races and 3 125/250 outdoor nationals
4 Lewis Won 3 sx West races, podiumed 2 others and was the youngest ama winner until Stew won.
5 Tripes Won 2 250/450 nationals and a few podium

Until he beats these records, he’s not even in the conversation about being the best ever at 16. Personally, I don’t think he will be the best 17 year old either.
Momus
1/22/2020 5:52am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2020 5:55am
Howz about we just enjoy the kid as he matures and not put this kind of pressure on him? There is a long list of phenom...
Howz about we just enjoy the kid as he matures and not put this kind of pressure on him? There is a long list of phenom teenagers that would be above him imho.
Momus wrote:
Name 5 of them?
UpTiTe wrote:
1 Stewart won the 125 East title and national championship, is the youngest AMA winner. 2 Bradshaw won the 125 East title and several outdoor nationals...
1 Stewart won the 125 East title and national championship, is the youngest AMA winner.
4 Lewis Won 3 sx West races, podiumed 2 others and was the youngest ama winner until Stew won.

Until he beats these records, he’s not even in the conversation about being the best ever at 16. Personally, I don’t think he will be the best 17 year old either.
Appreciate the list.

Jett will be a teenager for the next 44 months so plenty of time to chalk up some wins.

He is rightfully in the conversation front and center because, even without AMA SX wins, his speed and rate of improvement as well as the huge following he's garnered against extremely strong professional opposition warrants it.
APLMAN99
1/22/2020 6:01am
No podiums yet.

He's a very talented kid, but even inferring that he's front and center in the argument for best 16yo is just silly.

The Shop

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/22/2020 6:15am
Momus wrote:
Name 5 of them?
UpTiTe wrote:
1 Stewart won the 125 East title and national championship, is the youngest AMA winner. 2 Bradshaw won the 125 East title and several outdoor nationals...

Momus wrote:
Appreciate the list. Jett will be a teenager for the next 44 months so plenty of time to chalk up some wins. He is rightfully in...
Appreciate the list.

Jett will be a teenager for the next 44 months so plenty of time to chalk up some wins.

He is rightfully in the conversation front and center because, even without AMA SX wins, his speed and rate of improvement as well as the huge following he's garnered against extremely strong professional opposition warrants it.
The debate is fastest 16 year old ever, not fastest teenager ever. He will be 16 for another 7 months, two of those will be spent on the mend, so no, he is not in the conversation compared to the stats I posted, especially when you consider I forgot Travis Pastrana.

So now you’re claiming the fastest teenager ever, still a tough claim considering the competition RC, Stewy, Lechien, Glover, Pastrana and RJ were all teenage national champs.

Sure, he is gaining a following, but his following at this time doesn’t compare to Pastranas, Stews or Bradshaws following at 17. Bradshaw was and still is a cult hero at 17.

Momus
1/22/2020 8:27am
UpTiTe wrote:

Momus wrote:
Appreciate the list. Jett will be a teenager for the next 44 months so plenty of time to chalk up some wins. He is rightfully in...
Appreciate the list.

UpTiTe wrote:
The debate is fastest 16 year old ever, not fastest teenager ever. He will be 16 for another 7 months, two of those will be spent...
The debate is fastest 16 year old ever, not fastest teenager ever. He will be 16 for another 7 months, two of those will be spent on the mend, so no, he is not in the conversation compared to the stats I posted, especially when you consider I forgot Travis Pastrana.

So now you’re claiming the fastest teenager ever, still a tough claim considering the competition RC, Stewy, Lechien, Glover, Pastrana and RJ were all teenage national champs.

Sure, he is gaining a following, but his following at this time doesn’t compare to Pastranas, Stews or Bradshaws following at 17. Bradshaw was and still is a cult hero at 17.

I'm impressed by your evidence gathering .👍
I was going to return fire by asking for proof of age and results for those riders but will take the temperate course and wait to see what Jett does by the time he is 17.
TXDirt
1/22/2020 8:58am
Momus wrote:
Name 5 of them?
UpTiTe wrote:

Momus wrote:
Appreciate the list.

I always hate calling 18 and 19 year olds teenagers. They are legal adults by that point. Its a numbers thing I get it. Teenagers are 13-16 in truth. 17 is middle earth. You can float between the two. And then after that you are a legal adult. We can call him an adult teenager I suppose. Though you never hear that much lol

To say JL will be a teenager for the next 44 months is correct. Though for 24 of those months he will be an adult.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/22/2020 9:01am
Momus wrote:
Appreciate the list.

UpTiTe wrote:
The debate is fastest 16 year old ever, not fastest teenager ever. He will be 16 for another 7 months, two of those will be spent...

Momus wrote:
I'm impressed by your evidence gathering .👍 I was going to return fire by asking for proof of age and results for those riders but will...
I'm impressed by your evidence gathering .👍
I was going to return fire by asking for proof of age and results for those riders but will take the temperate course and wait to see what Jett does by the time he is 17.
Can’t help it, I have always remembered useless mx info.
Denn700
1/25/2020 9:41am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2020 9:43am
He has a way to go before he is even the best Australian at 16.
Reed had race one 125 race at San Diego at 16 in 99 and crashed out but.
1999 Australian SX Champ 16 years old
2000 Australian SX Champ 17 years old
2001 2nd in MXGP 18 years old
2002 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross Champ 19 years old
2003 AMA Supercross 2nd place but won the most races
2003 World Supercross champ 20 years old
2004 AMA SX Champ 21 years old
str8line
1/25/2020 9:49am
Denn700 wrote:
He has a way to go before he is even the best Australian at 16. Reed had race one 125 race at San Diego at 16...

Jett was gapping Forkner and Ferrandis on the biggest stage while 9 months shy of his 17th birthday. He was right up there the previous race, too. I don't think he has a way to go before being the best Australian at 16.
Coenmx
1/25/2020 10:29am
Denn700 wrote:
He has a way to go before he is even the best Australian at 16. Reed had race one 125 race at San Diego at 16...
When the kid is only 16 the rest of Reedy’s results arent relevant. Chad was the best Australian hands down so far but take a look at facts Chad got to race sx in Australia at 16yrs ( not ama ) and at that time sx was big in Australia so if you compare Jett s first Australian sx Jett too beat every other Australian sx rider when he raced at aus sx open ( Wilson jumped past him on yellow flag twice but cause they weren’t in the championship they didn’t bother protesting ) back when reedy was racing there were no Americans coming over so technically he did the same but Jett was even battling and nearly had the win in last moto against the USA riders but due to experience or lack of sx race craft left the door open other wise at 16 he would have nearly beat the Americans too. That is relevant to Chad at 16 but what you may not know and need to before you list results is : Jett has won 5 Australian championships and a world jnr championship all by the age of 12 yrs then moved to Europe won also a German championship and Emx rounds and motos at 14 years of age , then moved to USA then in first year (apart from a mechanical whilst leading final moto )he would have won the prestige Loretta Lynn’s 250 pro a class at 15 yrs of age then got 13th overall including an 8th in one moto at the unadilla ama nationals a week later days after turning 16 then also won all motos at monster cup national championship which if you want to be a dick you could say his results were better than chads up to the age of 16 then also the speed and skill he has shown and progression in his first 3 sx he is on the right track . But to say he has a long way to go or will he be better than chad we have no idea till it happens but comparing Chad’s results at 18 or 19 yrs ect is totally irrelevant cause the kid is only 16 or otherwise you have to compare all the above achievements to chads under 16 yrs old achievements which again is why this thread is stupid .
str8line
9/25/2022 12:40pm
So let's revisit this. At Jett's current age, which is 19 years and 1 month, who else had three titles and a MXDN win? Not trying to talk shit, I'm wondering if anyone did. Did RV? RC? JS?

Could Jett be the best ever at his age?
APLMAN99
9/25/2022 12:55pm
str8line wrote:
So let's revisit this. At Jett's current age, which is 19 years and 1 month, who else had three titles and a MXDN win? Not trying...
So let's revisit this. At Jett's current age, which is 19 years and 1 month, who else had three titles and a MXDN win? Not trying to talk shit, I'm wondering if anyone did. Did RV? RC? JS?

Could Jett be the best ever at his age?
Still hard to say. I can see the argument, but Herlings would be a pretty good choice also with 2 WCs before he turned 19.

Personally I still think that Stewart was the absolute best at or before 19, but that’s always going to be a subjective thing.
PFitzG38
9/25/2022 12:59pm
Don't know about that but he just served notice he's the FMOTP, and he only has one chance to ever race Tomac outdoors.....in about 2 mins
M1000
9/25/2022 1:18pm
KAWI642 wrote:
no - Ron Lechien prob best 16 year old ever followed by Bradshaw and Bubba
Nope. This young kid looking the best. Better than all you mentioned. Barring no injuries, too many donuts, he has shot at the Goat….
str8line
9/25/2022 2:25pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
Don't know about that but he just served notice he's the FMOTP, and he only has one chance to ever race Tomac outdoors.....in about 2 mins

True, he can say he beat Tomac the only time he raced him.
felpro
9/25/2022 2:40pm
I personally do not sit here thinking that Jett beat Tomac. Ultimately, Tomac was on the top step of the podium. Winning is being first to a goal. If the goal is the finishing position in a race then yes, Jett won. If the goal was a take home the Peter Chamberlain trophy then . . .

To me, beating someone needs them to be racing bar to bar. But that's just me. It is rare that we get to see an out and out race. That's what made Tomac vs Sexton so great. And in a great race like that, there is a winner but there is never a loser.
str8line
9/25/2022 2:46pm
felpro wrote:
I personally do not sit here thinking that Jett beat Tomac. Ultimately, Tomac was on the top step of the podium. Winning is being first to...
I personally do not sit here thinking that Jett beat Tomac. Ultimately, Tomac was on the top step of the podium. Winning is being first to a goal. If the goal is the finishing position in a race then yes, Jett won. If the goal was a take home the Peter Chamberlain trophy then . . .

To me, beating someone needs them to be racing bar to bar. But that's just me. It is rare that we get to see an out and out race. That's what made Tomac vs Sexton so great. And in a great race like that, there is a winner but there is never a loser.

I get what you're saying but this is most likely the first and last time Jett gets a chance to race Eli outdoors. It was only one moto but they both came off the same gate and he finished ahead of him. Not a big deal but if I were Jett it would be a cool feather in my cap.
PFitzG38
9/25/2022 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2022 9:21pm
felpro wrote:
I personally do not sit here thinking that Jett beat Tomac. Ultimately, Tomac was on the top step of the podium. Winning is being first to...

They both lined up on the same gate together. You literally can't get more bar to bar than that. What you mean is it's too bad Eli couldn't catch Jett to make it closer.....I agree with you.

Yeah there was some good team riding going on today. I got the impression Tomac, for the first time was fine with not having to win, and still had a hell of a good time. At one point about halfway I said to myself OK perfect everybody just hold. Then I thought how hard that is to do as a racer if your pretty sure you could get the next guy but don't. I think Jett was holding back as much as anybody. I'd say the Hunter bros have a standing invite for the next ten years to take an end of year working vaca at wherever the MXdN decides to go. oui oui oui.

Too bad Gaijer(sic), Herlings and Fevre et al were missing. Jett truly could claim the title of FMOTP if they were. The fact is Herlings, Gaijer and Fevre can handle Gerts and Guadadini(sic) fairly easily and well Tomac and Sexton not so much. yeah yeah I know you gotta be in it to win it, and that means nothing except to keyboard jockeys like us

But after today whenever the subject of Tomac vs Jett comes up Jett can just shrug and say........Scoreboard!!

David934
9/25/2022 11:25pm
Kenny was world champion at age 17 and Herlings at 18.
daemon666
9/25/2022 11:28pm
daemon616 wrote:
Hunter and Jett are pretty awesome. Definitely Stewable!
I agree buddy.
9/26/2022 1:52am
How quickly does Jame Stewart, Ricky Carmichael and Travis Pastrana get forgotten? It doesn't like long I guess.
Also some guy name McGrath
9/26/2022 3:20am
felpro wrote:

Of course he didn't. It's a team event. I considered myself a Jett fanboy but I can see I'm nowhere near the level some of you guys are at.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/26/2022 4:53am
He’s up there. But you have to take competition into effect too. When James was 19 he moved up and raced RC in his absolute prime. RC at 20 Won his 4th MX title in a row and year later took over SX too. Roczen won 450 SX races at 19 and then right after he turned 20 beat Dungey for 450 MX crown. Gajser was 19 when he started to roll thru the MXGP class. There are more of course. One thing is for sure though Jett is up there and there seems to be a lack of talent in his way. The old guard is on its way out. AC and Forkner never reached full potential due to injuries although there is still time. Webb wants nothing to do with elite guys outdoors. Sexton IMO is the only thing standing in Jett’s way of dominating for years and years. Of course Roczen looked to be on his way of killing everyone too until injuries so there is always that threat.
Johnny Ringo
9/26/2022 5:06am
He’s on pace with the best ever for sure. If he actually races 250SX next year it’s a travesty
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
9/26/2022 5:10am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2022 5:34am
Reminds me MC the way he hold the bike.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/26/2022 5:34am
He’s on pace with the best ever for sure. If he actually races 250SX next year it’s a travesty
He only has one SX title and he made plenty of mistakes still last year. The plan is perfect one more year on the 250 to iron out mistakes. Move 450 outdoors and then attack 450 SX.
9/26/2022 5:43am
Park Boys wrote:
He’s up there. But you have to take competition into effect too. When James was 19 he moved up and raced RC in his absolute prime...
He’s up there. But you have to take competition into effect too. When James was 19 he moved up and raced RC in his absolute prime. RC at 20 Won his 4th MX title in a row and year later took over SX too. Roczen won 450 SX races at 19 and then right after he turned 20 beat Dungey for 450 MX crown. Gajser was 19 when he started to roll thru the MXGP class. There are more of course. One thing is for sure though Jett is up there and there seems to be a lack of talent in his way. The old guard is on its way out. AC and Forkner never reached full potential due to injuries although there is still time. Webb wants nothing to do with elite guys outdoors. Sexton IMO is the only thing standing in Jett’s way of dominating for years and years. Of course Roczen looked to be on his way of killing everyone too until injuries so there is always that threat.
surprised you arent getting more downvotes but i agree entirely. the talent isnt there and its thinning out every year

Post a reply to: Too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?

The Latest