Too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?

str8line
1/19/2020 5:08pm
Racer111 wrote:
He’s no where near James Stewart, RC or RV. Did you just start watching SX last week? 🙄🙄
str8line wrote:
Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have...

Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have him race supercross he was so green.
Racer111 wrote:
Yeah! 100% nowhere near any of the names I mentioned above. Read the title of the thread again. Jett hasn’t even hit the podium yet. Seriously...
Yeah! 100% nowhere near any of the names I mentioned above. Read the title of the thread again. Jett hasn’t even hit the podium yet. Seriously! Where in the hell do you idiots come from???? JS7 walked away from EVERYONE on the track in his 2nd race at just barely 16. RC won 7 out of 8 rounds at age 16. So no, Jett isn’t in that league.

"100% nowhere near any of the names..." He was gapping Austin Forkner, who is about as fast as anyone to enter the 250 ranks in a long time. There is still time for him to dominate outdoor nationals at 16-years-old this summer.
APLMAN99
1/19/2020 5:18pm
str8line wrote:
Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have...

Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have him race supercross he was so green.
Racer111 wrote:
Yeah! 100% nowhere near any of the names I mentioned above. Read the title of the thread again. Jett hasn’t even hit the podium yet. Seriously...
Yeah! 100% nowhere near any of the names I mentioned above. Read the title of the thread again. Jett hasn’t even hit the podium yet. Seriously! Where in the hell do you idiots come from???? JS7 walked away from EVERYONE on the track in his 2nd race at just barely 16. RC won 7 out of 8 rounds at age 16. So no, Jett isn’t in that league.
str8line wrote:
"100% nowhere near any of the names..." He was gapping Austin Forkner, who is about as fast as anyone to enter the 250 ranks in a...

"100% nowhere near any of the names..." He was gapping Austin Forkner, who is about as fast as anyone to enter the 250 ranks in a long time. There is still time for him to dominate outdoor nationals at 16-years-old this summer.
Seriously, you should wait until he at least gets a podium to try to rank him with the all-time greats. It'd be even wiser to wait until he gets some wins.

He seems like a great kid and has a ton of talent. Don't ruin it and make it look like people are trashing him just because you feel the need to make silly, hyperbolic statements about him.
str8line
1/19/2020 5:24pm
Racer111 wrote:
str8line wrote:
"100% nowhere near any of the names..." He was gapping Austin Forkner, who is about as fast as anyone to enter the 250 ranks in a...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Seriously, you should wait until he at least gets a podium to try to rank him with the all-time greats. It'd be even wiser to wait...
Seriously, you should wait until he at least gets a podium to try to rank him with the all-time greats. It'd be even wiser to wait until he gets some wins.

He seems like a great kid and has a ton of talent. Don't ruin it and make it look like people are trashing him just because you feel the need to make silly, hyperbolic statements about him.
The thread was made five minutes into the main and he went on to nearly win it. He didn't, which to you means you can't extrapolate how good he is. But for guys with more nuance than you there is nothing wrong with discussing how amazing Jett is. Hate if you want to though.
APLMAN99
1/19/2020 5:34pm
str8line wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
Seriously, you should wait until he at least gets a podium to try to rank him with the all-time greats. It'd be even wiser to wait...

str8line wrote:
The thread was made five minutes into the main and he went on to nearly win it. He didn't, which to you means you can't extrapolate...
The thread was made five minutes into the main and he went on to nearly win it. He didn't, which to you means you can't extrapolate how good he is. But for guys with more nuance than you there is nothing wrong with discussing how amazing Jett is. Hate if you want to though.
So you made a post 5 minutes into a main thinking that this kid was the greatest ever at his age, and he hasn't even gotten a podium yet? Seriously?

You're making yourself look even more the fool.

Again, stop overselling the kid and slow down the fanboy talk. He'll do fine, but if you've watched more than 3 seasons of racing you should know better than to make such a crazy assertion after someone gets a great start and leads for a bit. He's probably got several weeks to recover and hopefully he makes a complete one. But as I said, let him finish a race on the podium before anointing him the greatest ever.

How do you nuance trying to argue that he's one of the all-time greats without a single podium?

Or are you so new to this whole sport that you think 5 minutes of leading a race is all that it takes?

The Shop

str8line
1/19/2020 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2020 7:53pm
Just watched his battle with Ferrandis again. After Dylan pulled that unclean pass which made Jett case the rhythm and nearly crash, Jett about passed him again in the whoops and had the inside for the next turn. But Jett played nice guy instead of taking away Dylan's line. Huge mistake not to go for blood there. Bet that moment will shape Jett's future and he will draw blood again and again in the same situation.
1/19/2020 6:11pm
It’s a shame Jett didn’t just settle for the best result of his career thus far. Wisdom comes with age they say.
str8line
1/19/2020 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2020 6:19pm
It’s a shame Jett didn’t just settle for the best result of his career thus far. Wisdom comes with age they say.
"I'll never settle for second and will always leave everything out on the track." Jett today on IG.
1/19/2020 7:18pm
What are all the injuries Jett has had?
Still waiting. I've heard this before "they" get hurt allot. Grouping Jett in with Hunter. So again what are all the injuries Jett supposedly gets?
gerg wrote:
I'd also like to know.

If Jett already has a crap tonne of injuries as this person says then it certainly predicts where he is heading.
Pretty sure he hasn't been injured much if at all. I've seen this comment even before Jett broke his collarbone. Just because Hunter has been hurt allot they group Jett in with him. The lack of response shows me he was talking out of his ass
1/19/2020 7:20pm
str8line wrote:
"I'll never settle for second and will always leave everything out on the track." Jett today on IG.
Definitely left a couple things out there
philG
1/20/2020 3:38am
str8line wrote:
And that is what will cost him in the future... his boss is 'Mr Settle' Ryan Dungey, a guy who made a career out of taking a result when it was there, and not forcing it when it wasnt. That is Multi time Champ Ryan Dungey.

If he doesnt learn that fast he could easily be the next Austin Forkner.
1/20/2020 3:46am
How longs his contract at Geico for?
He is now the hottest property in the 250 class
agn5009 wrote:
What? Let him win some races first. Jeez.
Umm the potential to be a multi dominant champ
Anyone who says settle down, can’t see the riding skill/style this kid has in spades. I think Honda will groom him for their 450 lead rider
His riding style is amazing
Dougy1
1/20/2020 4:02am
str8line wrote:
philG wrote:
And that is what will cost him in the future... his boss is 'Mr Settle' Ryan Dungey, a guy who made a career out of taking...
And that is what will cost him in the future... his boss is 'Mr Settle' Ryan Dungey, a guy who made a career out of taking a result when it was there, and not forcing it when it wasnt. That is Multi time Champ Ryan Dungey.

If he doesnt learn that fast he could easily be the next Austin Forkner.
And what’s wrong with being the next Austin forkner.
Don’t forget how much older and mature Dylan is then both Austin and Lawrence ...
Don’t worry in the nex 5 years both kids will at some stage park Ferrandis
davis224
Fantasy
165th
1/20/2020 4:06am
I don't think anybody is hating on Jett, he seems universally liked. I'm sure he's going to be great, but calling him the greatest ever because he led most of 1 race is a bit more than a stretch. I'm still holding out hope the Justin Hill from Tampa will show back up, but I'm going to wait until he actually backs it up. Just wait for the kid to back it up, I'm sure he will.
ElliotB16
1/20/2020 4:55am
Davi Millsaps got a 2nd place in Daytona when he was 16. Only behind Stew.

Crazy to think there was talk about Jett racing amateur this year too.
Momus
1/20/2020 5:39am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 5:41am
aaryn #234 wrote:
Jett walked away from the field last night and he is barley 16, he was one mistake away from doing what James did. The kid was...
Jett walked away from the field last night and he is barley 16, he was one mistake away from doing what James did.

The kid was pulling on Cooper and Forkner all race, pulling on the entire field, only the current West Champ had his pace.

Maybe not quite as good as JS7 at the same age, but not far off at all.
Jett's average lap times were about half a second faster than Ferrandis and he also had the fastest lap time. He's as good as Stewart but without the luck so far in a far more professional and competitive field.
APLMAN99
1/20/2020 5:50am
Momus wrote:
Jett's average lap times were about half a second faster than Ferrandis and he also had the fastest lap time. He's as good as Stewart but...
Jett's average lap times were about half a second faster than Ferrandis and he also had the fastest lap time. He's as good as Stewart but without the luck so far in a far more professional and competitive field.
If his average lap times were a half second faster than Ferrandis, then Ferrandis couldn't have caught him.....

Crush
1/20/2020 6:21am
https://results.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S2015/S2F1RID.pdf

Jet was good for 10 or 11 laps and then he was tired, pretty clear looking at the times. Drops 2 seconds a lap then the crash.

Jet was .8 or so faster on average through those 11 laps... Dylan was in traffic... Then Jet drops 4–5 seconds over two laps and about 10 on lap 14
Question
1/20/2020 7:34am

I think that question is not appropriate and only leaves huge expectations, which tends to bring disastrous results, win or crash mentality, fanboyism, haters, etc.

But is he the most promising rookie this year ? So far yes and it is awesome to watch ! I love his style, it reminds me of Windham when he entered the pro class in 98 (and there is a bit of Pourcel too). Nice aerial style, feet on the pegs, light on the bike, smooth. He made it look easy for a good 10 minutes, almost like the previous week behind Forkner where he was also looking awesome but made more little mistakes. So i think he improved over 7 days! With all the great people in his corner (training partners, Dungey, Jonnhy O', etc etc), I am sure they will help him to get championships !
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
1/20/2020 8:08am
EnvyMedia wrote:
Herlings and Roczen won GP’s at 15. Prado at just 16.
I’ve seen people bring up MX a lot. The OP should have said SX. When those guys won it was at MX. Which is what we all grow up doing. SX is similar but it’s also it’s own bitch. You can make the argument that doing well at SX early is more impressive than MX as it’s a more recently learned skill.
seventeen
1/20/2020 9:01am
Can this stupid thread be sent to the Dumbgeon please!? Not only is Jett not the best "ever" at his age he is no where near close! But, he has good skill and opportunities will be abound but c'mon. And I am not a "hater" because I disagree with the OP; I just have the ability to discern what is truth based on fact and unbiased logic.
seventeen
1/20/2020 9:03am
Question wrote:
I think that question is not appropriate and only leaves huge expectations, which tends to bring disastrous results, win or crash mentality, fanboyism, haters, etc. But...

I think that question is not appropriate and only leaves huge expectations, which tends to bring disastrous results, win or crash mentality, fanboyism, haters, etc.

But is he the most promising rookie this year ? So far yes and it is awesome to watch ! I love his style, it reminds me of Windham when he entered the pro class in 98 (and there is a bit of Pourcel too). Nice aerial style, feet on the pegs, light on the bike, smooth. He made it look easy for a good 10 minutes, almost like the previous week behind Forkner where he was also looking awesome but made more little mistakes. So i think he improved over 7 days! With all the great people in his corner (training partners, Dungey, Jonnhy O', etc etc), I am sure they will help him to get championships !
Whindham did not enter the pro class in 98...but most of the rest of your statement is fair...
TSCHAM101
1/20/2020 9:32am
str8line wrote:
Five minutes into leading his first main?
Bro... AC won his first supercross race and was winning the championship until he couldnt keep his shoulder in the socket anymore...

Although Jett reminds me of a mix of Ken Roczen and Adam Cianciarulo.. next great super star, been saying it since 2018 when i watched him ride one day.. the kid has it.. my only concern is his lack of fear even though he has the skill to ride out of most things due to him being so smooth..(yes he got a little wild on saturday, nerves had a big part to do with that i imagine.. if it were me.. i woulda weeded it 2nd lap)

I just hope he doesnt go the same route as zach bell its too early to tell... balls fast but a tendency to get injured.. personally i think he reigns it in and finds his groove. he should be back in about 4 weeks i would imagine after surgery, bagget raced a week after surgery. i think the 4 weeks will be good for the rookie.
Question
1/20/2020 9:32am
Question wrote:
I think that question is not appropriate and only leaves huge expectations, which tends to bring disastrous results, win or crash mentality, fanboyism, haters, etc. But...

seventeen wrote:
Whindham did not enter the pro class in 98...but most of the rest of your statement is fair...
Ah sorry, 97 in SX Wink
t_baum88
1/20/2020 9:38am
struth wrote:
Preston isno forkner or ferrandis
agn5009 wrote:
How many titles does Forkner have? How about Preston? Which is greater?
davis224 wrote:
For all we know Forkner isn't even a Brandon Jesseman yet.
Ooooo
t_baum88
1/20/2020 9:50am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 9:52am
Canard won his first supercross ever. Against RV. And he won the title.

Canard was Stew fast and smooth until it wasn’t then it got extremely scary to watch.

Felt like I was watching the second coming of Canard last night. The two laps after he fell were the sketchiest laps I’ve seen in a while. Was happy to see him not weed it during those and gather himself up for the most part.

The fact that he got back to the inside of Ferrandis through whoops and over triple was beautiful, but he failed on the pick up pass. Ferrandis allowing that basically handed it to him if Jett would of committed to it and blasted him.

I know he had arm pump and was dead tired and not thinking straight but shit he already did the hard part getting next to him.
TXDirt
1/20/2020 9:52am
He's a very good young rider. Can't really compare him to some of the other greats when they were young. He's just not on that level. And it's not even really close. He was leading a regional lites race. We will need more data befor we crown him "best ever at his age".

He had a good start, benefit of some people crashing. Started running out of gas. Lost focus. Crashed hard. Injured. SX Season over.

I'll be pulling for him outdoors. Love some new blood in the classes. He has a bright future ahead of him.
APLMAN99
1/20/2020 10:52am
APLMAN99 wrote:
If his average lap times were a half second faster than Ferrandis, then Ferrandis couldn't have caught him.....

Momus wrote:
Fair comment.

Go here:

https://results.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S2015/S2F1RID.pdf

to see the timings the AMA uses.

They eliminate crash laps from the average.
No, they don't. This is a screw up, as they counted the lap that Ferrandis crashed on.

When something is demonstrably false, like saying that someone who finished behind the leader had a faster average lap time, it should be an alert that something isn't right.

Post a reply to: Too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?

The Latest