Too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?

Dave #125
1/19/2020 2:00am
The kid is awesome..give him time to build his legacy..
But so was these guys at that age....
Lechien
Rj
Wardy
Rc
Stew
Bradshaw
1/19/2020 2:03am
He was riding an 85cc two years ago, he started training in SX a couple month ago. Some guys might have been better than him at his age, but not in these conditions...
Crush
1/19/2020 2:10am
Crush wrote:
He might be the best 16 year old with the same amount of SX experience. Hadn’t ridden one till the offseason. He was fucking tired with...
He might be the best 16 year old with the same amount of SX experience. Hadn’t ridden one till the offseason.

He was fucking tired with 5 mins to go tho. Heal up on a indoor trainer bike!
Ray_MXS wrote:
Spot on. I was genuinely concerned with how tired he looked. It's just amazing he could still go as fast as he did but man was...
Spot on. I was genuinely concerned with how tired he looked. It's just amazing he could still go as fast as he did but man was he sending it.

That kid has so much heart.
Yeah every single one of those wheel high situations in the whoops is just fitness. Especially when you watch him ride otherwise. Might have some of the best technique and balance we've seen since Kenny and James.

The Shop

Argaudas
Fantasy
4167th
1/19/2020 2:44am
Prntscrn wrote:
How about a 15 year old Roczen winning GPs?

Roczen won his MX2 title in 2011. If I'm not mistaken, he was 17 years old. Still fricking sick though.
Prntscrn
1/19/2020 2:53am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2020 3:03am
Prntscrn wrote:

Argaudas wrote:
Roczen won his MX2 title in 2011. If I'm not mistaken, he was 17 years old. Still fricking sick though.
Yeah, I think Musquin won the championship in 2009 and 2010, but Kenny did win motos and GPs during those seasons. The clip above was his first moto win at age something like 15 years and 2 to 3 months old. He wasn't even old enough to race the first few rounds since he hadn't turned 15 yet

He also put on a show at the age 15 at the MXoN in Thunder Valley for those who remember
alex69
1/19/2020 3:32am
2 years ago Hunter was the next big deal, now it's Jett?
Let him firts of all stay healthy for a season before al this hellelujah.
The Hunter brothers are fast but have lot of injuries, you only need one point more to get champion.
Most of the time the smartest wins not the fastest, remember last year AC and DF, Sexton vs Forkner.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
1/19/2020 4:08am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2020 4:09am
He’s the best in SX for his age in quite some time but no where near the best. Hopefully he heals quick and at 17 you’re asking the same question.
1/19/2020 4:52am
Prntscrn wrote:

I remember seeing him live that season, he was just cutting time in sections unlike anybody on track. Natural talent at work
mx317
1/19/2020 5:07am
str8line wrote:
Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have...

Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have him race supercross he was so green.
visser62 wrote:
James Stewart at 16 was clearly head and shoulders above the competition. He lost the title to Preston because of crashes but was much faster, and...
James Stewart at 16 was clearly head and shoulders above the competition. He lost the title to Preston because of crashes but was much faster, and then he waxed everyone outdoors. He turned 17 in December after the outdoor season.
struth wrote:
Preston isno forkner or ferrandis
Preston won a SX championship over Stew. That is something not a lot can say.
kkawboy14
1/19/2020 5:47am
Seems like they were saying the same thing about Reynard, RC, AC.....you gotta have a story for these races. What else are they gonna say to hype the race last night?
D_L118
1/19/2020 6:04am
Such a devastating night for Jett. I think it's a good thing that he is under Dungey's wings.

I've allways wondered how they came to Europe ? Did Everts "discovered" them ? Or were they coming to Europe anyway?
Phil109
1/19/2020 6:17am
Ranman68 wrote:
All I know is that I am now a Jett Lawrence fan from hell. Wow.
“Hops on wagon, grabs a beer”

Count me in too. He’s so fun to watch!
str8line
1/19/2020 6:22am
jemcee wrote:
Are you asking if it's too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever, at his age? Or are you asking if it's too early to...
Are you asking if it's too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever, at his age?
Or are you asking if it's too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?
Smile How about best ever for his age?
agn5009
1/19/2020 6:45am
How longs his contract at Geico for?
He is now the hottest property in the 250 class
What? Let him win some races first. Jeez.
agn5009
1/19/2020 6:48am
str8line wrote:
Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have...

Actually it's you who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Nowhere near? He doesn't turn 17 till end of summer. They almost didn't have him race supercross he was so green.
visser62 wrote:
James Stewart at 16 was clearly head and shoulders above the competition. He lost the title to Preston because of crashes but was much faster, and...
James Stewart at 16 was clearly head and shoulders above the competition. He lost the title to Preston because of crashes but was much faster, and then he waxed everyone outdoors. He turned 17 in December after the outdoor season.
struth wrote:
How many titles does Forkner have? How about Preston? Which is greater?
mxtech1
1/19/2020 6:54am
He's fast, there's no denying that.

What he demonstrated last night though is the mental maturity aspect of being a 16 year old in high pressure racing. Before he went down on the finish line, the mistakes he made leading up to that were mental...

I like how Craig is working with a mental strength coach, it is showing in his riding this year. Hopefully they can get Lawrence on a similar path because I think he is capable of having a very successful career and we need talents like this to maintain a healthy level of competition in the field.
jonesaustin
1/19/2020 6:56am
cable wrote:
bradshaw smoked the sx champ in japan at 16
if only there was video of that. smh. how could no one have captured this?
1/19/2020 6:56am
alex69 wrote:
2 years ago Hunter was the next big deal, now it's Jett? Let him firts of all stay healthy for a season before al this hellelujah...
2 years ago Hunter was the next big deal, now it's Jett?
Let him firts of all stay healthy for a season before al this hellelujah.
The Hunter brothers are fast but have lot of injuries, you only need one point more to get champion.
Most of the time the smartest wins not the fastest, remember last year AC and DF, Sexton vs Forkner.
What are all the injuries Jett has had?
Momus
1/19/2020 7:00am
D_L118 wrote:
Such a devastating night for Jett. I think it's a good thing that he is under Dungey's wings. I've allways wondered how they came to Europe...
Such a devastating night for Jett. I think it's a good thing that he is under Dungey's wings.

I've allways wondered how they came to Europe ? Did Everts "discovered" them ? Or were they coming to Europe anyway?
Obvious international level talents were showing in Australia. Their father mapped out a plan for both boys. I have Jett is an SX rookie but a veteran in another sense.
Bultaco
1/19/2020 7:04am
Jett is good and fun to watch. There have been others. For one...Marty Smith was a 16 yr old moto whiz kid.
Racer111
1/19/2020 7:11am
str8line wrote:
Five minutes into leading his first main?
Racer111 wrote:
He’s no where near James Stewart, RC or RV. Did you just start watching SX last week? 🙄🙄
str8line wrote:

Yeah! 100% nowhere near any of the names I mentioned above. Read the title of the thread again. Jett hasn’t even hit the podium yet. Seriously! Where in the hell do you idiots come from???? JS7 walked away from EVERYONE on the track in his 2nd race at just barely 16. RC won 7 out of 8 rounds at age 16. So no, Jett isn’t in that league.
Racer111
1/19/2020 7:13am
jemcee wrote:
Are you asking if it's too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever, at his age? Or are you asking if it's too early to...
Are you asking if it's too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever, at his age?
Or are you asking if it's too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?
str8line wrote:
Smile How about best ever for his age?
You have to be 12-15 years old. That’s the only explanation for you sheer idiocy.
RandyS
1/19/2020 7:16am
I'll be surprised if he comes close to a SX win when he returns. He's not the first kid to turn pro and be hailed as the future only to be sitting in the stands a few weeks later. Once they come back they settle into being just one of the top guys. He'll definitely be on everyone's radar as a title threat next year though.
plowboy
1/19/2020 7:22am
mxtech1 wrote:
He's fast, there's no denying that. What he demonstrated last night though is the mental maturity aspect of being a 16 year old in high pressure...
He's fast, there's no denying that.

What he demonstrated last night though is the mental maturity aspect of being a 16 year old in high pressure racing. Before he went down on the finish line, the mistakes he made leading up to that were mental...

I like how Craig is working with a mental strength coach, it is showing in his riding this year. Hopefully they can get Lawrence on a similar path because I think he is capable of having a very successful career and we need talents like this to maintain a healthy level of competition in the field.
Yep.
YamaLink
1/19/2020 7:36am
Let Dungey calm Jett down with perspective and hindsight experience about racing under pressure. Should reap rewards sooner rather than later.
TDeath21
1/19/2020 7:47am
I don’t think there’s any other answer to this question except Stewart is there? Not on the AMA side anyway. Carmichael only did one race at 16. Same with Villopoto. Most top guys seem to turn pro full time at 17. Just the way the calendar falls. Stewart turned 16 two months before A1 and won his 2nd race.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
1/19/2020 7:55am
visser62 wrote:
struth wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
How many titles does Forkner have? How about Preston? Which is greater?
For all we know Forkner isn't even a Brandon Jesseman yet.

Post a reply to: Too early to call Jett Lawrence the best ever at his age?

The Latest