Tony's latest meltdown

6/22/2014 11:17am
It's still the same set of principles for the situation .... It doesn't matter when they let him know.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
6/22/2014 11:21am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 11:22am
neverwas, SLAPAHO, KennyT I wonder if its just a coincedence that all 3 accounts were started on back to back to back days in Aug 2006...
neverwas, SLAPAHO, KennyT I wonder if its just a coincedence that all 3 accounts were started on back to back to back days in Aug 2006, And all have the same lame ass statements defending the Alessi's and bashing Matthes, Im saying there all the same person ! There is no excuse for Tony's actions, Period, I don't dislike Mike, But Tony is mental !
yeah or maybe thats when guyb opened the doors here so there are many people with the same start date?

i'm going to go out on a limb here and just assume you don't work for NASA
jndmx
6/22/2014 11:22am
It's still the same set of principles for the situation .... It doesn't matter when they let him know.
No other reporter is asked to do that and no other team asks this or any other reporter to do that.

Does that mean anything to you?
Sully22
6/22/2014 11:25am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 11:26am
You can't be serious, can you? Journalists don't give up editorial control over the content to the person they're interviewing or the owner of company they represent,in this case mike Geneva....,not unless they're conducting an interview in Cuba or North Korea. he would have to review the terms with his employer. It's common courtesy to review a request like that days in advance, not at the interview.

The Shop

VicDaMoan03
6/22/2014 11:26am
If Tony didn't intend to give Mathes a copy of the contract, than it's not a binding contract anyway, right? Or are the laws different in Canada? In USA all parties need to have a copy of the contract to be valid.
6/22/2014 11:32am
MXerDW wrote:
Here is the latest on the whole saga and drama. (edit to add this first tweet I meant to have here) Steve Matthes @pulpmx · 2h...
Here is the latest on the whole saga and drama.

(edit to add this first tweet I meant to have here)
Steve Matthes @pulpmx · 2h
So I'm just doing my post race podcasts, walking around to the trucks when I walked into MCR pits to talk to Mike &/or Vinxe about race...

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 12m
I see Vince & he says that only if Tony approves it. I don't want to deal with the guy but he comes over & says I have to sign this ...

Terms and conditions contract to talk to his riders..I just laughed but he was serious. Then I said I have to look at it & he says paper...

Cannot leave the tent..I say nope, too bad- I have to take it & that I'm not signing it & good job costing his riders publicity. He tried...

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 11m
To yank paper out of my hand but I said nope- I have to tweet this. Then he started yelling very loudly & calling me "mother fucker"...

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 10m
He was yelling that I'm not protected up there, I'm a piece of shit, no one likes me down in USA or now in Canada & I'm just there to...

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 11m
And every other name under the sun. Then Leading Edge Kawi owner had to tell him to leave their tent as he chased me over there..

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 10m
To talk shit on his team & the series itself. That's all I'm there for. I asked him if he knew I spent my own money to be there & I'm cdn!

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 8m
Then I asked Politelli & J Medag if they liked me & they were laughing. All I wanted to do was ask VF & Mike about their race that day &..

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 7m
We at RXI had talked about doing a feature on how MCR is doing in their cdn adventure but he can kiss that bye bye now- guy was absolute...

Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx · 5m
Lunatic to me. Ask @jeremymedaglia or any1 there. But now, I present the terms and conditions I wouldn't sign

I'm a little confused....why is this such a big deal and what exactly is Tony guilty of? So Tony wanted Matthes to sign something that says...
I'm a little confused....why is this such a big deal and what exactly is Tony guilty of? So Tony wanted Matthes to sign something that says Matthes won't bash MCR? What team wouldn't go out of their way to protect what's being said about their team ESPECIALLY when there's a history of hostility between the parties? Matthes publicizing what happened yesterday and posting a pic of the terms is a prime example of why Tony wanted an agreement signed. Can you really fault Tony for that? I think Tony was pretty smart. Sure Tony could have handled the situation more calmly and not thrown some name-calling...do you really think he's the first guy to call someone and MF'er in the pits? It was something Matthes could use to stir up activity on Vital and Twitter. It was a slow news weekend. Seriously....this isn't a big deal. All of us Vitards simply made it one. Yeah, Tony can be crazy but Matthes used Tony to benefit himself.

To set the record straight....Matthes said he was just walking through the pits doing his interviews for the podcasts and made it sound like he just casually approached the MCR pit. Not the case. He reached out to MCR last weekend in a text saying he was coming to Canada and would like the opportunity to talk to the team to write an editorial. Not that it matters but let's make sure the info being "reported" is accurate.
Bingo.
Old-Man
6/22/2014 11:37am
What a weekend to have free HBO/Cinemax
dkg
6/22/2014 11:37am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 11:38am
This is crazy. Looks to me like Tony exploded because Matthes didn't go along with Tony's attempt to control and manipulate the media. I have absolutely no problem with Tony or anyone for that matter controlling the terms upon which they will communicate with the media. Hence bullet points 1-4 are simply Tony's terms. It is bullet point 5 that raised all the crap. Tony wanted to allow interviews and yet make it look to the world as if they were unfiltered publications. If Tony wanted to deal straight up, he would have stopped at point 4 and said those are my terms take it or leave it. He got caught in having his attempt at censoring the media disclosed and exploded. How Matthes can be blamed for this is beyond reasoning. Why Tony didn't just stop at point 4 is beyond comprehension. I would hope that any journalist confronted with this situation would 1, disclose the terms of the interview in their article and/or 2, disclose why an interview did not take place if the terms were unacceptable. Responsible journalism dictates nothing less.
6/22/2014 11:44am
Sully22 wrote:
You can't be serious, can you? Journalists don't give up editorial control over the content to the person they're interviewing or the owner of company they...
You can't be serious, can you? Journalists don't give up editorial control over the content to the person they're interviewing or the owner of company they represent,in this case mike Geneva....,not unless they're conducting an interview in Cuba or North Korea. he would have to review the terms with his employer. It's common courtesy to review a request like that days in advance, not at the interview.
So you're saying you view Matthes as a responsible, professional journalist? What responsible, professional journalist handles a situation like this in the way Matthes did? He could have said these were the terms of the interview and I didn't agree with them.....not make a mockery of the situation and make statements such as Tony had another meltdown and generate 10 pages of circus.
jndmx
6/22/2014 11:46am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 11:50am
So you're saying you view Matthes as a responsible, professional journalist? What responsible, professional journalist handles a situation like this in the way Matthes did? He...
So you're saying you view Matthes as a responsible, professional journalist? What responsible, professional journalist handles a situation like this in the way Matthes did? He could have said these were the terms of the interview and I didn't agree with them.....not make a mockery of the situation and make statements such as Tony had another meltdown and generate 10 pages of circus.
Ahhhh there you go.....there is the agenda!
See that didn't take long.

A little character assassination, a little defending an indefensible request and finish with blaming the actions of one person on another....Hat Trick!!

JM485
6/22/2014 11:48am
I don't even know what to say. . I go racing for the weekend and come back to this? Laughing

Oh man, this entire thing is comical, I'm just enjoying the ride at this point.Cool
6/22/2014 11:54am
Still trying to understand why Matthes would travel to see Alessi. Is the Canadian National scene something Steve enjoys reporting on and has done it in past years? If not, was he there to print a positive viewpoint of Alessi's Team? If not, he was there just to fuck around and Tony saw thru the bull shit.
Matthes
6/22/2014 11:56am
So you're saying you view Matthes as a responsible, professional journalist? What responsible, professional journalist handles a situation like this in the way Matthes did? He...
Dear someone in the Alessi family or Motoconcepts, That's exactly what I did. I laughed, realized he was serious, said I wasn't signing the "contract" and proceeded to walk away. End of story...EXCEPT Tony asked for the contract back (and again, shouldn't I get to keep a copy of this underhanded attempt to control media? Why was there something in there that said I couldn't tell anyone I signed this? Pretty shady no?) and I said I would have to look it over and walked away.

And that is when he exploded, calling me a mother fucker, saying I'm not "protected" in Canada, asking me if I wanted to "go", some more Mother fuckers, telling me that no one likes me, etc etc. And he was yelling all this.

Once presented with the terms, I refused and walked away with my "contract" to review...then he, once again, became very unprofessional and an incredible asshole. This is on him. I posted it, (like I said in the other post) because when people are bullies and a-holes, they need to be called out on it. Maybe next time, he thinks a little bit harder.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
6/22/2014 11:59am
Hahaaaaaaaaaa
Matthes
6/22/2014 12:05pm
Still trying to understand why Matthes would travel to see Alessi. Is the Canadian National scene something Steve enjoys reporting on and has done it in...
Still trying to understand why Matthes would travel to see Alessi. Is the Canadian National scene something Steve enjoys reporting on and has done it in past years? If not, was he there to print a positive viewpoint of Alessi's Team? If not, he was there just to fuck around and Tony saw thru the bull shit.
I'm Canadian, I go to a race or two almost every year. Because I enjoy it, it costs me money out of my pocket to go but I usually enjoy it. This trip, because of the horrendous conditions, not so much.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
6/22/2014 12:06pm
The Rock wrote:
If only Vitards cared as much about safety as they do this National Enquirer BS maybe the injury list might get shorter instead of getting longer...
If only Vitards cared as much about safety as they do this National Enquirer BS maybe the injury list might get shorter instead of getting longer every year. I made it through page 1 and that's enough for me.
Liar. You read the whole f-ing thing, just didn't like what you read. I know you like to think you're above it all, but face it your just as much a vitard as anyone else on here and your opinion carries no more or less weight. Here it is, on a Sunday afternoon, and you're 9 pages into a Tony Alessi/Steve Mathis (sic) thread and commenting. Either drop the pious attitude and accept what you are, or GTFO.
motorush
6/22/2014 12:06pm
Matthes, you put TA and hard thinking into the same sentance. You are a bad journalist!!! j/k

How far & what would MA have won if TA would have stepped aside long ago? How many fans would he have?
Mr Bean
6/22/2014 12:07pm
Matthes wrote:
I'm Canadian, I go to a race or two almost every year. Because I enjoy it, it costs me money out of my pocket to go...
I'm Canadian, I go to a race or two almost every year. Because I enjoy it, it costs me money out of my pocket to go but I usually enjoy it. This trip, because of the horrendous conditions, not so much.
Please clarify which "horrendous conditions" you are referring to. Laughing
DownSouth
6/22/2014 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 12:08pm
Still trying to understand why Matthes would travel to see Alessi. Is the Canadian National scene something Steve enjoys reporting on and has done it in...
Matthes has been going to at least one round of the Canadian nationals for several years. When the US series has a week off he typically goes home to Canada and attends a race and usually works in a story for Racer X. He even wrenched for Nick Wey a few years back when Nick did a Canadian round for a RX story. His being in Canada was not a result of the Alessi's being there this summer.

Matthes is the about only reason many US fans know what is going on in Canadian MX racing. He also always calls up his Canadian buddies and does pre-season podcasts about the Candian series.
Sully22
6/22/2014 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 12:09pm
It was already stated by Steve earlier in this thread that....Steve is Canadian (not a big secret), and he goes to a Canadian round on his own dime every year. I'm pretty sure he didn't travel there exclusively to see Alessi, or go to just fuck around. Sounds to me like he wanted to travel to his home country, watch the Canadian nationals, maybe catch up with some of his buddies or whatever, and do some interviews during an off weekend from the US nationals.

Edit: I didn't see Steve's reply along with all the others before typing this....
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
6/22/2014 12:08pm
Oh yeah, and I feel bad for Mike. He comes across as a respectful guy that deserves better.
malachi177
6/22/2014 12:08pm
He is Canadian, and has always been a fan of the Canadian Nationals.
DownSouth
6/22/2014 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 12:13pm
Matthes wrote:
I'm Canadian, I go to a race or two almost every year. Because I enjoy it, it costs me money out of my pocket to go...
Mr Bean wrote:
Please clarify which "horrendous conditions" you are referring to. Laughing
I am guessing rain and mud so bad that they canceled the second motos.
Sully22
6/22/2014 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 12:24pm
Sully22 wrote:
You can't be serious, can you? Journalists don't give up editorial control over the content to the person they're interviewing or the owner of company they...
Is Matthes a responsible, professional journalist? Yes. If Matthes is this horrible irresponsible journo and tony is a misunderstood father and team manager just sticking up for his kid / kids that Matthes is giving a raw deal to, then why is it tony has these episodes and irrational outbursts, and is the one always trying to explain himself, and then when he does explain himself he digs himself a deeper hole and looks that much worse?

What multi million dollar company sponsoring a professional race team puts a contract with a list of demands like this on a piece of notebook paper and hands it to the interviewer at the interview?
CR250Rider
6/22/2014 12:12pm
I met the Genovas last year and started following motocross at that time....I don't comment much because I admit I don't know much about the sport...
I met the Genovas last year and started following motocross at that time....I don't comment much because I admit I don't know much about the sport but when I can apply basic principles to situations, I do. The Genovas are good people... I support them and their team and I can comment based on known facts.....not hearsay or third party info which is why I've only commented about the Alessis.
Somewhat odd you are new to the sport but picked a username rich in moto_history...
6/22/2014 12:14pm
neverwas, SLAPAHO, KennyT I wonder if its just a coincedence that all 3 accounts were started on back to back to back days in Aug 2006...
neverwas, SLAPAHO, KennyT I wonder if its just a coincedence that all 3 accounts were started on back to back to back days in Aug 2006, And all have the same lame ass statements defending the Alessi's and bashing Matthes, Im saying there all the same person ! There is no excuse for Tony's actions, Period, I don't dislike Mike, But Tony is mental !
SLAPAHO wrote:
yeah or maybe thats when guyb opened the doors here so there are many people with the same start date? i'm going to go out on...
yeah or maybe thats when guyb opened the doors here so there are many people with the same start date?

i'm going to go out on a limb here and just assume you don't work for NASA
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Mr Bean
6/22/2014 12:18pm
Sully22 wrote:
It was already stated by Steve earlier in this thread that....Steve is Canadian (not a big secret), and he goes to a Canadian round on his...
It was already stated by Steve earlier in this thread that....Steve is Canadian (not a big secret), and he goes to a Canadian round on his own dime every year. I'm pretty sure he didn't travel there exclusively to see Alessi, or go to just fuck around. Sounds to me like he wanted to travel to his home country, watch the Canadian nationals, maybe catch up with some of his buddies or whatever, and do some interviews during an off weekend from the US nationals.

Edit: I didn't see Steve's reply along with all the others before typing this....
The truth is that he had traveled back to Canada to get the spelling of his last name corrected - "Mathis" instead of "Mathes" - and planned a grand announcement for tomorrow on Vital. He knew there was no National to take attention away from his big story so he would have center stage.

However, when he saw Tony was about to steal his thunder and letting the cat out of the bag by spelling it "Mathis" on the "contract", he was forced to create a diversionary ruckus to conceal the true reason for his trip.

Quick thinking to save the day.

And now you know the rest of the story... good day!
Mr Bean
6/22/2014 12:20pm
DownSouth wrote:
I am guessing rain and mud so bad that they canceled the second motos.
Just wanting clarification as to whether he referring to the monsoon or Hurricane Tony!
Sully22
6/22/2014 12:22pm
Sully22 wrote:
It was already stated by Steve earlier in this thread that....Steve is Canadian (not a big secret), and he goes to a Canadian round on his...

Mr Bean wrote:
The truth is that he had traveled back to Canada to get the spelling of his last name corrected - "Mathis" instead of "Mathes" - and...
The truth is that he had traveled back to Canada to get the spelling of his last name corrected - "Mathis" instead of "Mathes" - and planned a grand announcement for tomorrow on Vital. He knew there was no National to take attention away from his big story so he would have center stage.

However, when he saw Tony was about to steal his thunder and letting the cat out of the bag by spelling it "Mathis" on the "contract", he was forced to create a diversionary ruckus to conceal the true reason for his trip.

Quick thinking to save the day.

And now you know the rest of the story... good day!
I think you nailed it! Laughing
dboivin
6/22/2014 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 12:23pm
I met the Genovas last year and started following motocross at that time....I don't comment much because I admit I don't know much about the sport...
I met the Genovas last year and started following motocross at that time....I don't comment much because I admit I don't know much about the sport but when I can apply basic principles to situations, I do. The Genovas are good people... I support them and their team and I can comment based on known facts.....not hearsay or third party info which is why I've only commented about the Alessis.
CR250Rider wrote:
Somewhat odd you are new to the sport but picked a username rich in moto_history...
even more odd to make the statement that mathes is NOT a professional mx journalist with moto_hurricanes self declared mere 1 year of following moto....lol.

there is about 5-6 usernames in this thead that are the either the same person or a group of MCR family/workers. they make up the only defense of TA in thread because no human with half a brain would be trying to justify what he did.....again.

Post a reply to: Tony's latest meltdown

The Latest