Tommy Searle AMA Unseen

nortm005
Edited Date/Time 2/26/2021 5:53am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japNFEHUUcg

Some cool unseen footage of Tommy from his AMA days in 2009. I believe it was all filmed for 'The Great Outdoors' but never made it. Cool none the less.
|
2/9/2021 6:28am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2021 6:30am
I saw that. He was so laid back he was horizontal.

Didn't he land up suing his team?
nortm005
2/9/2021 6:41am
Yeah I believe it was when the (then) factory KTM (Muscle Milk) decided to pull out of the AMA scene as was trying to get out of paying his final year. Something along those lines anyway.

The Shop

slipdog
2/9/2021 7:29am
Verry cool... reminds me of my time down there in the 90s. That's pretty much how we all acted at that age, lol
peelout
2/9/2021 7:55am
i was a huge Searle fan back in the day, was pretty bummed it ended so quickly in the US for him. thanks for posting the video
STLSharky
2/9/2021 7:57am
nortm005 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japNFEHUUcg Some cool unseen footage of Tommy from his AMA days in 2009. I believe it was all filmed for 'The Great Outdoors' but never made...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japNFEHUUcg

Some cool unseen footage of Tommy from his AMA days in 2009. I believe it was all filmed for 'The Great Outdoors' but never made it. Cool none the less.
Big fan of 100
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
2/9/2021 8:16am
He’s actually a pro enduro rider now over here..
murph783
2/9/2021 9:02am
slipdog wrote:
Verry cool... reminds me of my time down there in the 90s. That's pretty much how we all acted at that age, lol
Right? I was 17/18 in ‘09 and that is exactly how I looked and acted. Flat brimmed hat, long hair, white sunglasses, drooling over monster girls. God what douchebags we all were. Good times lol
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
2/9/2021 10:10am
Enjoyed that. That was my first year at TransWorld and I did a round table interview with Tommy, Tyla Rattray and Christophe Pourcel as a feature in the mag before the Nationals started, discussing their GP rivalries and their thoughts on coming to America. A good group of people and riders.

Having three MXGP stars all moving to the States at the same time was unprecedented. I would say they all delivered in one way or another. Pourcel was the pure talent who was just incredible to watch at times. Rattray had Stanton-vibes...not necessarily natural on the bike but he more than made up for it in sheer effort and hard work. Searle I think was some where in the middle, talented but not an absolute workhorse, but very personable off the bike.
Motofinne
2/9/2021 11:18am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2021 11:19am
Btw Matthes did a podcast with him that dropped a few weeks ago (or maybe a month or two ago, time flies.). It's a must listen. His results were actually really good considering that KTM just dropped almost all support for him. It was basically him, his mechanic and a truckdriver that was the team.

Imagine going up against the PC and Geico riders with that "team" and the non-linkage KTM bike.
visser62
2/14/2021 9:54am
As others pointed out, that was a really special time when he came over with Rattray and Pourcel. I was really into the GPs then so I really wanted Tommy to do well. Other than Hangtown 2010 and Thunder Valley 2009 he didn't do as well as I had hoped, but given his team situation his performance was admirable.
tek14
2/14/2021 10:53am
Good stories.
Bidirella
2/14/2021 11:03am
Watching this back made me realize again how good Searle exactly was. He was amazing on a 250 and got succes off both side off the ocean.

Sadly his 450 career never really took off and crazy to think he never made a MXGP Podium.

His name fades a bit away but men, this guy was really good!
Bearuno
2/14/2021 6:50pm
I liked that he brought up his tendency to look utterly miserable, most of the time.

I saw it from when I first saw pictures of him when riding for the Church team in the UK, and still see it today. I've always thought, why so miserable looking TS?

So, it was quite funny to see him refer to it.

Though, we all tend to have a 'usual' facial expression - most people that know me say I look like an axe Angry murderer about to go on a spree, even when I'm as happy as a Bear can be. Woohoo

I really admired him sticking up to KTM when they tried to dump him in the USA. It was good to see a rider actually coming out on top of the typical rat bastardry companies can pull.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
2/15/2021 5:12am
Didn't he win a moto or do good at the first race, where Eli won his debut? I was rooting for Tommy at the time, wasn't he teammates with Brayton on Muscle Milk KTM? This is bringing on some nostalgia, I bought a set of the shift gear they were wearing.
RG1
2/15/2021 6:22am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 6:24am
davis224 wrote:
Didn't he win a moto or do good at the first race, where Eli won his debut? I was rooting for Tommy at the time, wasn't...
Didn't he win a moto or do good at the first race, where Eli won his debut? I was rooting for Tommy at the time, wasn't he teammates with Brayton on Muscle Milk KTM? This is bringing on some nostalgia, I bought a set of the shift gear they were wearing.
1st moto of the 2010 season at Hangtown he finished 2nd right behind Pourcel and ahead of the likes of Tomac, Weimer, Barcia, Baggett, Canard and Wilson. Unfortunately second moto he hurt his shoulder and that was his last race. He was legit in the US, he raced in probably the most stacked 250 class there has been and got some great results.

I believe Davalos was his teammate in 2009
2/15/2021 8:15am
Some amazing racing back then!

Three times vice champ mx2
Yep 3 times 2nd and also 3rd one year too, to Roczen and Herlings. God knows why he did so badly after he moved up to MXGP. Maybe he just didn't get on with 450s.
2/15/2021 11:40am
Bidirella wrote:
Watching this back made me realize again how good Searle exactly was. He was amazing on a 250 and got succes off both side off the...
Watching this back made me realize again how good Searle exactly was. He was amazing on a 250 and got succes off both side off the ocean.

Sadly his 450 career never really took off and crazy to think he never made a MXGP Podium.

His name fades a bit away but men, this guy was really good!
I was about to come here and say the same thing. He’s maybe a bit forgotten about, but watching these clips really shows how damn good he was. He was fighting for titles in the GP’s and like he said he could very well have won one if he stayed for a year or two more. His AMA career was of to a pretty good start, I mean everyone knows that it can be difficult to get going when you jump across the pond, but he was doing podiums pretty quickly. Too bad his time in America came to a pretty abrupt end.
romain524
2/15/2021 3:44pm
i wish Thomas would come race some 450 outdoor races this summer! Jake Nichols came a couple years ago to do some Canadian nationals and to do RedBud for the GDR Honda team. He finished easily in the top10.
Would be really nice to see both of them do a couple rounds when there is a big break in the british championships.
jemcee
2/15/2021 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2021 6:33pm
These are awesome.. I did let him know that I thought his best result was actually off track with the incredible Ashley Sarto haha.. (Edit: Should mention I mean I commented on his youtube not like I know him personally haha)

One thing I do know is if I was to have been a professional athlete at age 18 living on my own in California, my results would almost definitely have suffered
2/15/2021 4:34pm
jemcee wrote:
These are awesome.. I did let him know that I thought his best result was actually off track with the incredible Ashley Sarto haha.. (Edit: Should...
These are awesome.. I did let him know that I thought his best result was actually off track with the incredible Ashley Sarto haha.. (Edit: Should mention I mean I commented on his youtube not like I know him personally haha)

One thing I do know is if I was to have been a professional athlete at age 18 living on my own in California, my results would almost definitely have suffered
I’ll say...
2/16/2021 12:08am
Shame he didn't get more time and end up on a decent team, would have been great to see what he could have done on a pc kawi.
D_L118
2/19/2021 2:22am
Searle and Pourcel in the US , definitely what could have been...
That era was such a great time to be a fan. Everything looked so cool from bikes to gear, yet everything looked so simple and relaxed...
Bearuno
2/19/2021 2:48am
jemcee wrote:
These are awesome.. I did let him know that I thought his best result was actually off track with the incredible Ashley Sarto haha.. (Edit: Should...

Check out his actual Wife , Sophia Louise, jemcee.

Yes, another ex Monster girl. Many slag the Sports Star / Promo Girl link ups, but, it's pretty in line with how so many Marriages / Partnerships are brought together by the workplace.

There were two truly exotic looking young woman ( in among the usual group of promo beauties) working for Monster in the GPs, a few years back. I think the reason an old bastard like me so remembers her / the other young lady, was how stunned I was to hear them finally talk. I was expecting something like a Scandinavian to Eastern Block accent, but out came everyday, decidedly non posh, Pommie sounds. Woohoo
2/19/2021 5:39am
His youtube channel is very entertaining generally, most enjoyable one since Jeff Walker imo. He's just picked up a 96 CR 250 to restore - a bike and year close to my MX heart. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out, and then inevitably Tommy throwing it upside down on that track he has access to.

Post a reply to: Tommy Searle AMA Unseen

The Latest