Tomac’s pass on Marv

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
8/19/2018 9:48am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 9:48am
When I was watching the second moto, I couldn;t believe the pace Ken and that french guy were going. Appears to me that because Tomac didn't exhaust his energy at the beginning, the french guy and Ken did by the second half of the moto. Looks that simple to me, but you would have to ask the french guy and Ken.
CozMan
8/19/2018 9:50am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 9:52am
Tomac is a strange rider. He has two modes:

1. I'm not really feeling it today and am going to make bonehead mistakes.
2. I'm going to rape this track into submission and crush anyone that gets in my way.

Can't remember the last rider that was so bi-polar with his riding styles. When he's off, I could keep up with him (I'm kidding), and when he's ON, I don't think anyone on earth could beat him.

And yes, Musquin has given up. Roczen is going to be a serious threat come A1, but MM has some serious soul searching to do. His worst enemy right now is between his ears.

edit - I'm getting less and less excited for SX. MX is the only true form of our sport that exposes all of the weaknesses of each rider and truly separates them. SX has become a circus of "Survival of the Fittest" and the racing has deteriorated to depressing levels. Yes, we get the occasional gem of a race...but for the most part...snooze fest. Just my .02.
Sully22
8/19/2018 10:40am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 10:41am
Looking at Lap times for the top 4...ET and BB were pretty consistent throughout the Moto, MM and KR both dropped way off their pace around lap 10.
Ted722
8/19/2018 10:43am
Moto96 wrote:
The race thread discussions don't even crack 10 pages anymore.
Likes/dislikes have contributed a little to that.

The Shop

2whlfun
8/19/2018 11:03am
NateDawg wrote:
Honestly surprised there wasn't a thread on that 2nd moto charge in general. I mean Marv ended up 40 seconds behind Eli! The last lap Tomac...
Honestly surprised there wasn't a thread on that 2nd moto charge in general. I mean Marv ended up 40 seconds behind Eli!

The last lap Tomac turned a 2:10 while Marvin ran a 2:22... 12 seconds in one lap!
I live in Colorado and am a huge Tomac fan but touting the 12 seconds faster on LAST lap doesn’t work.
Fonzarelli
8/19/2018 11:16am
Marv can't go faster than Tomac but he has The Musquin Plan:

- Ride well enough to keep it within 25 points.
- Pray for an Eli DNF.
8/19/2018 11:35am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 11:36am
Fonzarelli wrote:
Marv can't go faster than Tomac but he has The Musquin Plan: - Ride well enough to keep it within 25 points. - Pray for an...
Marv can't go faster than Tomac but he has The Musquin Plan:

- Ride well enough to keep it within 25 points.
- Pray for an Eli DNF.
When that's all you can do, what else are you going to do? He's still beating everyone else pretty regularly. Only one guy can win.
Racer331
8/19/2018 11:46am
I’m the biggest Tomac fan, I want nothing more for him than to destroy MM and especially Herlings but this round was different, everyone was hauling! Lap times showed it too. Bagget, Barcia, they were flying too. But at the end of that second moto when riders start to wear out Tomac just turns it up... eats everyone alive.
8/19/2018 11:49am
Track was smooth and fast. If it wasn't for the heat, Roczen probably would have won. Put them on a man's track and Eli will win every time. With that being said, Budd's is an amazing track and I'll be sad if it isn't on the schedule in the future.
8/19/2018 11:54am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 11:54am
NateDawg wrote:
Yes...I am... Please name me all the other times Tomac has been 12 seconds faster than Marv on the final lap. You're the biggest POS on...
Yes...I am... Please name me all the other times Tomac has been 12 seconds faster than Marv on the final lap.

You're the biggest POS on this forum dude, I swear. You try to constantly undermine riders you don't like and then you troll the fuck out of anyone who disagrees with your opinion.
grow a single braincell dude ..

show me .... :-)
toroP
8/19/2018 11:55am
and youre surprised Tomac was 12 sec a lap faster at that moment ?? ohhhhhhh to be honest , i think Tomac won today with being...
and youre surprised Tomac was 12 sec a lap faster at that moment ?? ohhhhhhh

to be honest , i think Tomac won today with being the smarter one ... top 3 wasted way too much energy first 10/15 minutes and they paid for it last 10 minutes ... it wasnt Tomac who upped his speed like he usually does , but he managed it through the whole moto , while the top 3 ( Barcia.Musquin and Roczen ) dropped anchor and so Tomac made it a smart and easy win.
but he didnt look ON today and laptimes showed he had only 4th fastest laptime ... but it was enough for the win and he showed once again his fitness is on par
This weekend, Tomac was a bit over hyped by Weege and Langston. They were exclaiming about his speed, but not about KR who had the fastest lap of the race. Tomac’s fitness won the day, not his speed this time.
NateDawg
8/19/2018 12:03pm
NateDawg wrote:
Honestly surprised there wasn't a thread on that 2nd moto charge in general. I mean Marv ended up 40 seconds behind Eli! The last lap Tomac...
Honestly surprised there wasn't a thread on that 2nd moto charge in general. I mean Marv ended up 40 seconds behind Eli!

The last lap Tomac turned a 2:10 while Marvin ran a 2:22... 12 seconds in one lap!
2whlfun wrote:
I live in Colorado and am a huge Tomac fan but touting the 12 seconds faster on LAST lap doesn’t work.
I was speaking more to how bad Musquin threw out the anchor... Marv should've been pushing that whole race, his championship was on the line. Maybe he had a big crash or something earlier in the week but he was completely gassed.
8/19/2018 12:14pm
NateDawg wrote:
I was speaking more to how bad Musquin threw out the anchor... Marv should've been pushing that whole race, his championship was on the line. Maybe...
I was speaking more to how bad Musquin threw out the anchor... Marv should've been pushing that whole race, his championship was on the line. Maybe he had a big crash or something earlier in the week but he was completely gassed.
oh it changed ? when i responded you didnt mention any of this ..

NateDawg
8/19/2018 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 12:23pm
NateDawg wrote:
I was speaking more to how bad Musquin threw out the anchor... Marv should've been pushing that whole race, his championship was on the line. Maybe...
oh it changed ? when i responded you didnt mention any of this ..

I never said anything to the contrary....

My comment that you originally replied to said this, "In the last 3-4 laps he (Marvin) tossed the anchor."

My logic has been consistent throughout this whole thread. Happy trolling.
drt410
8/19/2018 12:21pm
Yea I dont even really understand how hes going THIS much faster than everyone else. Thats not supposed to be possible. These are world class professional athletes groomed since childhood to all ride within like 3 seconds of each other. I remember in person at southwick he put 14 seconds on Marvin in 3 friggin laps. 3 laps.... Imagine how badly that takes the wind out of your sails to be going Aldon Baker Factory KTM main rider fast and getting smoooooked like when a pro shows up to the local track for a day and woops on the "fast guys"... and Marvin is noooooo joke hes one of the fastest riders in the entire world. I thought in 2015 before Tomac crashed he was going the fastest that Ive ever seen anyone go and was the fastest that you theoretically can go.... hence why it was completely unsustainable. He may actually be going even faster now. Can anyone compare the laps- yea I know it varies wildly from year to year but not 12 seconds...
drt410
8/19/2018 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 12:45pm
NateDawg wrote:
The last 3-4 laps he completely tossed the anchor. He tried to hang with Eli for a while but I honestly think Tomac has Marv mentally...
The last 3-4 laps he completely tossed the anchor. He tried to hang with Eli for a while but I honestly think Tomac has Marv mentally whipped at this point. You can only get passed/gapped like that so many times before you give up.
and youre surprised Tomac was 12 sec a lap faster at that moment ?? ohhhhhhh to be honest , i think Tomac won today with being...

to be honest , i think Tomac won today with being the smarter one ... top 3 wasted way too much energy first 10/15 minutes and they paid for it last 10 minutes ... it wasnt Tomac who upped his speed like he usually does , but he managed it through the whole moto , while the top 3 ( Barcia.Musquin and Roczen ) dropped anchor and so Tomac made it a smart and easy win.
but he didnt look ON today and laptimes showed he had only 4th fastest laptime ... but it was enough for the win and he showed once again his fitness is on par
He said post race that he was sitting around waiting for the pace to slow down because guys were going so fast and then he realized they weren't slowing down so he had to step it up. This is very telling to hear seeing that it was Kenny who was leading both motos and I havent heard him say this....ever, but not with Marvin/or anybody else leading the race. This must mean Kenny is like 97% back to form if hes pushing Tomac like that, because thats what he used to be able to do....and he was the only one besides James who was able to do that. When Tomac was "ON" in 2015 he was beating Dungey by 1:15 and remember in 2016 when Roczen won Tomac was the only one beating him, yes coming off injury but he had speed. These two when healthy and fit are the only two (Us riders) capable of riding that next next level speed. Both also have had this speed come back to bite them, but they have it in the tank. Theres a reason Tomac, Roczen, and Herlings get injured a lot.... because they can and will ride wayyyyyy faster than is even necessary/almost not even possible.

I think this comment by Tomac definitely means that Roczen was onnnnn it this weekend and must be pretty damn close to being back to his either old form or new old form. Once this season is wrapped up and he gets to start over in the winter I expect him to still not be 100.00% but damn close and stepping comfortably into the #2 spot at least and hes surprised us before so maybe even...not going to jinx it but we all know. I feel like both of them have learned a valuable lesson that you dont need to win every race, and you also dont need to put 8 seconds a lap on 2nd place.....ever. Tomac seems to be forgetting this, but at least hes doing it to move through the pack usually instead of getting a holeshot and unnecessarily putting 17 minutes on 2nd place. Tomac was guilty of this in 2015... blown shoulders, and Roczen did this in 2016 outdoors until Dungey crashed, but he was putting 1:15 on Dungey in second for the first few races then rode out the rest of the season, but once he carried it over again and tried to do it in sx with a healthy Dungey he nuked his arm. I really hope both have matured and have learned to just win, statements dont give any extra points. Imagine both of them at 100% health, fitness, and speed battling next year..... I dont think we've ever seen two racers do this before at this level.... because its unsustainable..... but if they can do it oh my god will it be amazing. I would say AC222/JH84 of this year but Herlings crashed so that just furthers my other point, but anyways imagine a 2015/2018 Tomac vs a 2016/2017 Roczen....
8/19/2018 12:39pm
drt410 wrote:
He said post race that he was sitting around waiting for the pace to slow down because guys were going so fast and then he realized...
He said post race that he was sitting around waiting for the pace to slow down because guys were going so fast and then he realized they weren't slowing down so he had to step it up. This is very telling to hear seeing that it was Kenny who was leading both motos and I havent heard him say this....ever, but not with Marvin/or anybody else leading the race. This must mean Kenny is like 97% back to form if hes pushing Tomac like that, because thats what he used to be able to do....and he was the only one besides James who was able to do that. When Tomac was "ON" in 2015 he was beating Dungey by 1:15 and remember in 2016 when Roczen won Tomac was the only one beating him, yes coming off injury but he had speed. These two when healthy and fit are the only two (Us riders) capable of riding that next next level speed. Both also have had this speed come back to bite them, but they have it in the tank. Theres a reason Tomac, Roczen, and Herlings get injured a lot.... because they can and will ride wayyyyyy faster than is even necessary/almost not even possible.

I think this comment by Tomac definitely means that Roczen was onnnnn it this weekend and must be pretty damn close to being back to his either old form or new old form. Once this season is wrapped up and he gets to start over in the winter I expect him to still not be 100.00% but damn close and stepping comfortably into the #2 spot at least and hes surprised us before so maybe even...not going to jinx it but we all know. I feel like both of them have learned a valuable lesson that you dont need to win every race, and you also dont need to put 8 seconds a lap on 2nd place.....ever. Tomac seems to be forgetting this, but at least hes doing it to move through the pack usually instead of getting a holeshot and unnecessarily putting 17 minutes on 2nd place. Tomac was guilty of this in 2015... blown shoulders, and Roczen did this in 2016 outdoors until Dungey crashed, but he was putting 1:15 on Dungey in second for the first few races then rode out the rest of the season, but once he carried it over again and tried to do it in sx with a healthy Dungey he nuked his arm. I really hope both have matured and have learned to just win, statements dont give any extra points. Imagine both of them at 100% health, fitness, and speed battling next year..... I dont think we've ever seen two racers do this before at this level.... because its unsustainable..... but if they can do it oh my god will it be amazing. I would say AC222/JH84 of this year but Herlings crashed so that just furthers my other point, but anyways imagine a 2015/2018 Tomac vs a 2016/2017 Roczen....
like i said ..

Tomac raced smart , managed his fitness but he wasnt ON this time

or do i read it all wrong again ? lol

and agree Roczen is getting close to his old best ..he looks smooth again , his fitness needs improvement but its awesome to see him back at this speed already after all those injuries he had , could have been all over

drt410
8/19/2018 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 12:53pm
^ Sorry I wasnt even really replying to you necessarily was just making observations
benstone
8/19/2018 12:58pm
CozMan wrote:
Tomac is a strange rider. He has two modes: 1. I'm not really feeling it today and am going to make bonehead mistakes. 2. I'm going...
Tomac is a strange rider. He has two modes:

1. I'm not really feeling it today and am going to make bonehead mistakes.
2. I'm going to rape this track into submission and crush anyone that gets in my way.

Can't remember the last rider that was so bi-polar with his riding styles. When he's off, I could keep up with him (I'm kidding), and when he's ON, I don't think anyone on earth could beat him.

And yes, Musquin has given up. Roczen is going to be a serious threat come A1, but MM has some serious soul searching to do. His worst enemy right now is between his ears.

edit - I'm getting less and less excited for SX. MX is the only true form of our sport that exposes all of the weaknesses of each rider and truly separates them. SX has become a circus of "Survival of the Fittest" and the racing has deteriorated to depressing levels. Yes, we get the occasional gem of a race...but for the most part...snooze fest. Just my .02.
You just described Chad Reed.
ehr400
8/19/2018 1:06pm
drt410 wrote:
He said post race that he was sitting around waiting for the pace to slow down because guys were going so fast and then he realized...

like i said .. Tomac raced smart , managed his fitness but he wasnt ON this time or do i read it all wrong again...
like i said ..

and agree Roczen is getting close to his old best ..he looks smooth again , his fitness needs improvement but its awesome to see him back at this speed already after all those injuries he had , could have been all over

You obviously failed to see the average lap time of Eli and your mancrush euro boi’s. BB4 and Eli’s average over the whole race, believe it or not one lap doesn’t win the moto, was 2:09. Next closest was Ken at 2:11 average thus the huge gap when they caught and gapped them. But this is nothing new, it happened for years in the 250 class to when Kenny would sprint, have a 10-15 second lead, BB4 and Eli catch him and drop him with 5 minutes to go. Same with marv.
8/19/2018 1:20pm
drt410 wrote:

like i said .. Tomac raced smart , managed his fitness but he wasnt ON this time or do i read it all wrong again...
like i said ..

ehr400 wrote:
You obviously failed to see the average lap time of Eli and your mancrush euro boi’s. BB4 and Eli’s average over the whole race, believe it...
You obviously failed to see the average lap time of Eli and your mancrush euro boi’s. BB4 and Eli’s average over the whole race, believe it or not one lap doesn’t win the moto, was 2:09. Next closest was Ken at 2:11 average thus the huge gap when they caught and gapped them. But this is nothing new, it happened for years in the 250 class to when Kenny would sprint, have a 10-15 second lead, BB4 and Eli catch him and drop him with 5 minutes to go. Same with marv.
I think that's what Richard was trying to say, Tomac kept a similar pace the whole race and when Roczen and Musquin started to fade he made up multiple seconds a lap. It's not like other times this year where he just uncorks laps 3 - 4 seconds faster than anyone has ran all race.
8/19/2018 1:30pm
I think that's what Richard was trying to say, Tomac kept a similar pace the whole race and when Roczen and Musquin started to fade he...
I think that's what Richard was trying to say, Tomac kept a similar pace the whole race and when Roczen and Musquin started to fade he made up multiple seconds a lap. It's not like other times this year where he just uncorks laps 3 - 4 seconds faster than anyone has ran all race.
exactly .. thnx Jorge your english and choice of words is better but thats what i meant

has nothing to do with downgrading any rider or whatever ..
kkawboy14
8/19/2018 1:36pm
Indy mxer wrote:
MM was totally demoralized yesterday on the podium. Same as he was at Washougal when he said he thought that track would suit his style, but...
MM was totally demoralized yesterday on the podium. Same as he was at Washougal when he said he thought that track would suit his style, but got his ass kicked..

Tomac has him covered and he knows it.
I've never seen a rider drop seconds off their lap times near the end of motos like ET does.

That said, his starts are crap.
It’s like he doesn’t even try on the start. Seems like if he’s not in the top 3 he is worried about crashing in the first 3 or 4 turns. Definitely gets very cautious
8/19/2018 1:39pm
exactly .. thnx Jorge your english and choice of words is better but thats what i meant has nothing to do with downgrading any rider or...
exactly .. thnx Jorge your english and choice of words is better but thats what i meant

has nothing to do with downgrading any rider or whatever ..
No worries, I wish I knew a second language as well as you know English.
SwingHard
8/19/2018 1:42pm

toroP wrote:
This weekend, Tomac was a bit over hyped by Weege and Langston. They were exclaiming about his speed, but not about KR who had the fastest...
This weekend, Tomac was a bit over hyped by Weege and Langston. They were exclaiming about his speed, but not about KR who had the fastest lap of the race. Tomac’s fitness won the day, not his speed this time.
This isn't cross fit,this is Motocross!
Lets not over analyze it!
trsixy
8/19/2018 3:52pm
NateDawg wrote:

Marv's a good rider but great off the line. If he had Tomac's starts all year i doubt he'd be in 2nd place.
psg119
8/20/2018 9:37am
Sideways wrote:
marv mentioned he was lucky to even be riding this weekend. He said he had a big crash earlier in the week. He was asked about...
marv mentioned he was lucky to even be riding this weekend. He said he had a big crash earlier in the week. He was asked about it but didnt seems to wanna talk about it.
He tried his best.
psg119
8/20/2018 9:40am
Juss72 wrote:
BB4 didn't look to bad either
I honestly thought he was going to catch Eli too. He threw down a 2:06 with a few laps to go to Eli's 2:08. I was like "Holy shit". Boy was flyin
lumpy790
8/20/2018 10:29am
training at a higher altitude showed a LOT for ET.

nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
8/20/2018 11:30am
I agree that Musquin's problem is his head right now. He's been kicked in the balls from Tomac all outdoors and then the MXdN announcement took all the drive out of him. Then he says he crashed his brains out on Tuesday and I'm sure he didn't ride much after that last week. I still I feel bad he didn't get picked for a RED BUD MXdN. I mean, WTF France, he just won the Overall there..

He still has a chance for this title, realistically. But he needs to find the Musquin inside himself that doesn't give up and flows around a track like a normal Crafty-Frenchman.

PS: I'm rooting ET1 for this title. Beast mode @ Spring Creek was awesome to watch in person.

Post a reply to: Tomac’s pass on Marv

The Latest