Tomac’s main problem is completely out of his control

gnarwhip
1/16/2018 2:08pm
Funny how you put Dungey on that list. RV beat him 4 years in a row in 450 sx. Dungey is tier 2 like Stanton, Bayle, Bradshaw, Emig. Not a tier 1 guy.
fanger
1/16/2018 2:17pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey. Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line...
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey.

Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line in that order, and some could argue that is the top 5 US riders EVER. I wouldn’t personally, but I can see how some would.

Those guys have placed an insane expectation on the next US rider to be like them, which is Tomac, and he just isn’t quite at the all time great level those guys are. There is nothing wrong with this. He’s still a top guy in today’s SX/MX world.

If I had to compare him to any of those five, it would be Stewart, but a worse version of him. Very fast, but doesn’t handle pressure very well and doesn’t know when to back it down and look at the big picture. And if you’re a slightly worse version of Stewart, then you’re an incredible rider and will have a great career.

It’s extremely hard to be “the guy” year in and year out, race in and race out. That’s why the sustained excellence of Dungey, Villopoto, Carmichael, and McGrath is so incredible. Roczen looked like the guy last year and crashed out. Tomac finally fought back to be the guy heading into New Jersey last year and he had a horrible race. Tomac was the guy coming into this year and he crashed out. Musquin was the guy going into the second round and he crashed out.

What those all time greats did before Tomac has placed an unrealistic expectation on Tomac and what he should be like and what he should accomplish. We all need to sit back and think that maybe, just maybe, we went through a rare era where we saw all time greats pass the torch to each other, and we are now in an era where there are no US riders who are all time greats. This is okay, and it actually creates better championship battles and more exciting races for us fans.
Or maybe Tomac, Roczen, Frenchy and Anderson are all at that next level.

I doubt RC would've been so dominant if he had 3 other riders as talented as him lining up every weekend.
Katoomey
1/16/2018 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 2:33pm
You've acutally found a way to blame the greats of this sport, (for being too great) for Tomac's on track mistakes. get a grip man.

winners are leaders, and leaders inspire themselves. If Tomac really is a winner, he could give 2 shits what the greats did or didn't do before him, or how he stacks up against them.

TeamGreen
1/16/2018 2:44pm
Katoomey wrote:
You've acutally found a way to blame the greats of this sport, (for being too great) for Tomac's on track mistakes. get a grip man. winners...
You've acutally found a way to blame the greats of this sport, (for being too great) for Tomac's on track mistakes. get a grip man.

winners are leaders, and leaders inspire themselves. If Tomac really is a winner, he could give 2 shits what the greats did or didn't do before him, or how he stacks up against them.

Nice!

The Shop

drt410
1/16/2018 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 3:08pm
Its crazy how far Kennys crash pushed him out of the discussion. Tomac isnt even the fastest guy in the American circuit. This entire thread should be geared towards Roczen as far as Im concerned Tomac is and was the #2 guy. Kenny had him covered had just wont his 2nd championship and was hauling ass and the favorite to win sx before that crash. Kenny is the next guy and hasnt had long enough to prove if he is not anymore. So far it looks like he still will be. Tomac has 1 championship and he just got it, Kenny won the outdoors his first time years ago straight up vs Dungey in his prime. Its crazy how fast you get forgot about in this sport. Tomac has never been better than Roczen and literally just won his first championship after years in the class and in a completely unconvincing form. Kenny DOMINATED his outdoor championship 2 years ago like the other guys shouldnt even have been on the same track. Hes already this good after taking a year off the bike Id say he is still the guy until proven otherwise. Tomac gets far too much credit for what he has accomplished. Yes he is an incredible rider but what has he really done? Rode fast as hell in 2015 and yard saled it, then dicked around for a few years figuring out the kawi, lost the sx title to Dungey even after winning more than him, finally wins a very shaky outdoors, and now shits it again first race of the sx season. At this point in his career he has too much pressure while at the same time getting too much credit. Who really is the man? Im a huge Tomac fan but he has 1 outdoors championship to Kennys 2. Yes both of them were faster than Dungey but Kenny is the only one that beat Dungey straight up-his ktm 450 championship.
RonJon
1/16/2018 3:03pm
gnarwhip wrote:
Funny how you put Dungey on that list. RV beat him 4 years in a row in 450 sx. Dungey is tier 2 like Stanton, Bayle...
Funny how you put Dungey on that list. RV beat him 4 years in a row in 450 sx. Dungey is tier 2 like Stanton, Bayle, Bradshaw, Emig. Not a tier 1 guy.
No way, Aside from winning more championships and getting more podiums, than those guys, he was one of the few guys to get more awareness for the sport. That's a big part of what puts him as a great.

LoudLove
1/16/2018 3:13pm
The mental aspect of racing sometimes takes a back seat to our fascination with raw speed. MC, RC, RV, and RD all had the ability to compartmentalize events, evaluate situations in microseconds, and understand the hairline difference between success and failure. Only on rare occasion did they let circumstances overwhelm their athletic ability, but those instances never impacted their focus on achieving goals.

Some question whether Dungey belongs in the conversation. To that I reply: he may be the best example of perseverance through adversity. Yes, he lost to RV in four consecutive years (after winning the title in 2010). That would have broken the will of most riders, resulting in a lack of focus and determination. Dungey responded by winning 3 consecutive titles of his own, even when he was not the fastest rider on the track.

Sometimes you win titles by mentally staying in the game while others around you crumble.
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 3:16pm
drt410 wrote:
Its crazy how far Kennys crash pushed him out of the discussion. Tomac isnt even the fastest guy in the American circuit. This entire thread should...
Its crazy how far Kennys crash pushed him out of the discussion. Tomac isnt even the fastest guy in the American circuit. This entire thread should be geared towards Roczen as far as Im concerned Tomac is and was the #2 guy. Kenny had him covered had just wont his 2nd championship and was hauling ass and the favorite to win sx before that crash. Kenny is the next guy and hasnt had long enough to prove if he is not anymore. So far it looks like he still will be. Tomac has 1 championship and he just got it, Kenny won the outdoors his first time years ago straight up vs Dungey in his prime. Its crazy how fast you get forgot about in this sport. Tomac has never been better than Roczen and literally just won his first championship after years in the class and in a completely unconvincing form. Kenny DOMINATED his outdoor championship 2 years ago like the other guys shouldnt even have been on the same track. Hes already this good after taking a year off the bike Id say he is still the guy until proven otherwise. Tomac gets far too much credit for what he has accomplished. Yes he is an incredible rider but what has he really done? Rode fast as hell in 2015 and yard saled it, then dicked around for a few years figuring out the kawi, lost the sx title to Dungey even after winning more than him, finally wins a very shaky outdoors, and now shits it again first race of the sx season. At this point in his career he has too much pressure while at the same time getting too much credit. Who really is the man? Im a huge Tomac fan but he has 1 outdoors championship to Kennys 2. Yes both of them were faster than Dungey but Kenny is the only one that beat Dungey straight up-his ktm 450 championship.
Well....actually Dungey was the number 1 guy!
Gooose
1/16/2018 3:31pm
BobbyM wrote:
If Joe Montana choked in all the big games on the line he wouldn't have been Joe Montana. Tomac is no Joe Montana
He would have been Dan Marino hahahahah
oldandslow1
1/16/2018 3:50pm
WHAT I SEE IS TOMAC IS ALWAYS PUSHING AT 100%, PROBLEM IS THAT DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. DUNGEY WAS PROBABLY ALWAYS AT 97% ( COULD GO FASTER BUT RISK IS WAY HIGHER) AND THATS WHATS WINS. I SEE ROCZEN BACKING OFF A BIT (ARM OR CHOICE, NOT SURE) THIS YEAR AND I THINK THAT GIVES HIM A REALLY GOOD CHANCE AT A CHAMPIONSHIP IN SX THIS YEAR. TOMAC WILL BE OUT FRONT BY 5 SECONDS AND STILL PUSHING AT 100%, PROBLEM IS THAT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU SOONER OR LATER.
BobbyM
1/16/2018 3:53pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey. Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line...
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey.

Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line in that order, and some could argue that is the top 5 US riders EVER. I wouldn’t personally, but I can see how some would.

Those guys have placed an insane expectation on the next US rider to be like them, which is Tomac, and he just isn’t quite at the all time great level those guys are. There is nothing wrong with this. He’s still a top guy in today’s SX/MX world.

If I had to compare him to any of those five, it would be Stewart, but a worse version of him. Very fast, but doesn’t handle pressure very well and doesn’t know when to back it down and look at the big picture. And if you’re a slightly worse version of Stewart, then you’re an incredible rider and will have a great career.

It’s extremely hard to be “the guy” year in and year out, race in and race out. That’s why the sustained excellence of Dungey, Villopoto, Carmichael, and McGrath is so incredible. Roczen looked like the guy last year and crashed out. Tomac finally fought back to be the guy heading into New Jersey last year and he had a horrible race. Tomac was the guy coming into this year and he crashed out. Musquin was the guy going into the second round and he crashed out.

What those all time greats did before Tomac has placed an unrealistic expectation on Tomac and what he should be like and what he should accomplish. We all need to sit back and think that maybe, just maybe, we went through a rare era where we saw all time greats pass the torch to each other, and we are now in an era where there are no US riders who are all time greats. This is okay, and it actually creates better championship battles and more exciting races for us fans.
He's here for two weeks.. Great routine I must say.
BobbyM
1/16/2018 3:57pm
gnarwhip wrote:
Funny how you put Dungey on that list. RV beat him 4 years in a row in 450 sx. Dungey is tier 2 like Stanton, Bayle...
Yer nuttier than a squirrel turd.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
1/16/2018 4:15pm
gnarwhip wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
I'm convinced that goon's an attention whore who just blurts out stupid random stuff for the hell of it. Best to ignore, but much like an ass pimple that's not always easy to do.
olds cool
1/16/2018 4:31pm
TDeath21 wrote:

"Doesn't know when to back it down and look at the big picture"

I would argue that he definitely backed it down at the last round at Vegas last year, so there's that...
1/16/2018 4:54pm
drt410 wrote:
Its crazy how far Kennys crash pushed him out of the discussion. Tomac isnt even the fastest guy in the American circuit. This entire thread should...
There's no argument who has had the upper hand since moving to 450s but if you don't think Tomac was ever better than Roczen than you need to do a little research my friend. I've always considered them fairly equal, at least up until they moved up to 450s where I don't think we've ever seen them both in top form at the same time.
mxlegend99
Fantasy
1305th
1/16/2018 6:02pm
Tomac is his own problem. He will never get near those greats... and likely wont even stack up against guys on the fringe of greatness. CR22 for example. Reed was consistent as hell for his first 150+ races and he raced against all of those greats in their prime (aside from McGrath who was past his prime at the time). He only managed 2 SX titles. But was damn close on 4 or 5 other occassions. You can blame his lack of wins on them.

Tomac is a rider I enjoy watching. But this year has sealed it for me... he just doesnt have the smarts to win SX championships. He's a mix of Pastrana and Stewart. Ridiculous pace. Ridiculous talent. Tries things that are borderline crazy... but makes stupid mistakes that cost big time.
Phantom 661
1/16/2018 6:28pm
LoudLove wrote:
The mental aspect of racing sometimes takes a back seat to our fascination with raw speed. MC, RC, RV, and RD all had the ability to...
The mental aspect of racing sometimes takes a back seat to our fascination with raw speed. MC, RC, RV, and RD all had the ability to compartmentalize events, evaluate situations in microseconds, and understand the hairline difference between success and failure. Only on rare occasion did they let circumstances overwhelm their athletic ability, but those instances never impacted their focus on achieving goals.

Some question whether Dungey belongs in the conversation. To that I reply: he may be the best example of perseverance through adversity. Yes, he lost to RV in four consecutive years (after winning the title in 2010). That would have broken the will of most riders, resulting in a lack of focus and determination. Dungey responded by winning 3 consecutive titles of his own, even when he was not the fastest rider on the track.

Sometimes you win titles by mentally staying in the game while others around you crumble.
I agree.... alot.
vetmxr
1/16/2018 7:05pm
gnarwhip wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
I can pretty much assure you that Ryan Dungey would not want Damon Bradshaw behind him, or Stanton....... You think Freise or Anderson are crazy dirty riders.......Go back and watch a 90's supercross with Bradshaw and Matasevich going at it........They hit each other so hard parts went flying off.Smile

And they were doing it while leading......not mired in the pack.
Ted722
1/16/2018 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 7:24am
gnarwhip wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
vetmxr wrote:
I can pretty much assure you that Ryan Dungey would not want Damon Bradshaw behind him, or Stanton....... You think Freise or Anderson are crazy dirty...
I can pretty much assure you that Ryan Dungey would not want Damon Bradshaw behind him, or Stanton....... You think Freise or Anderson are crazy dirty riders.......Go back and watch a 90's supercross with Bradshaw and Matasevich going at it........They hit each other so hard parts went flying off.Smile

And they were doing it while leading......not mired in the pack.
Bradshaw wouldn't want Dungey or Stantaon behind him.. Dungey and Stanton would finish business up at the front. Photo finish to Dunge...corner speed.
1/17/2018 12:59am
kzizok wrote:
What if Tomac doesn’t have a problem and that’s just racing?
EXACTLY !

i often wonder how many people here have actually raced because some of the shit i see is unbelievable, crashes and stupid mistakes happen whoever you are - it is not always some higher force or a head collapse.

WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
1/17/2018 2:19am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 2:19am
Tomac last year was faster and better than Roczen this year.

Look how Anderson pass Roczen. JA was in "ET beast mod on" saturday.

ET/Anderson>Roczen/Musquin.

Fearo
1/17/2018 3:10am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 3:11am
The Mcgrath, Rc's, Everts', Villopoto's, Dungey's and Cairoli's of this world have made it seem like there will always be some superhuman dirtbike racer that wins everything there is to win, and is always perfect.

Both sides of the pond have had long spells where this was actually the case:
-US: Mcgrath -> RC -> Villopoto -> Dungey
-Europe: Everts -> Cairoli

But for now those times are DONE. There are no ultra dominant, 'perfect in every way' riders in the sport right now. For the first time in decades. Get used to it, because this won't be changing anytime soon.
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
1/17/2018 3:47am
Fearo wrote:
The Mcgrath, Rc's, Everts', Villopoto's, Dungey's and Cairoli's of this world have made it seem like there will always be some superhuman dirtbike racer that wins...
The Mcgrath, Rc's, Everts', Villopoto's, Dungey's and Cairoli's of this world have made it seem like there will always be some superhuman dirtbike racer that wins everything there is to win, and is always perfect.

But for now those times are DONE. There are no ultra dominant, 'perfect in every way' riders in the sport right now. For the first time in decades. Get used to it, because this won't be changing anytime soon.
Cairoli is still in the sport. Herlings will probably dominate Europe from here on out.

Roczen had a freak accident, otherwise he probably would've been the dominant force right now, and maybe he still will be in the future. Also Tomac won a shitload of SX races just last season and was pretty dominant at that. I'd bet hadn't he crashed at A1, people would talk of him as the second coming of RV.
Motodave15
1/17/2018 6:54am
NVA57 wrote:
Cairoli is still in the sport. Herlings will probably dominate Europe from here on out. Roczen had a freak accident, otherwise he probably would've been the...
Cairoli is still in the sport. Herlings will probably dominate Europe from here on out.

Roczen had a freak accident, otherwise he probably would've been the dominant force right now, and maybe he still will be in the future. Also Tomac won a shitload of SX races just last season and was pretty dominant at that. I'd bet hadn't he crashed at A1, people would talk of him as the second coming of RV.
If he had dominated A1 and won Houston.... There would have been a perfect season talk thread already.... This place is full of extremes.. and sometimes im guilty of stirring the pot as well lol..

But like the other dude said: it's Racing.. nothing more, nothing less
Phantom 661
1/17/2018 7:22am
gnarwhip wrote:
I think your logic is 2nd tier. Defiantly on a lower level. Thanks for the chuckle bro.
drt410
1/17/2018 8:02am
Fearo wrote:
The Mcgrath, Rc's, Everts', Villopoto's, Dungey's and Cairoli's of this world have made it seem like there will always be some superhuman dirtbike racer that wins...

Cairoli is still racing. Also herlings is a beast. Kenny and Eli were both even faster than Dungey so if Roczen gets it back and Eli keeps it on 2 wheels thats 4 all time fast riders.
Fearo
1/17/2018 8:38am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 8:39am
You guys replying to my post have proven my point exactly.

It's all IFs and BUTs with riders right now. IF Roczen hadn't crashed, IF tomac hadn't....
Nobody is saying that the level of talent or skill is lower than it was in years past. However I don't think anyone of them is capable of going on a 5 year tear winning every championship like we have gotten accustomed to seeing.

Also, yes, I can know Cairoli is still racing, thanks for the info.....I do think his era of dominance is over and we have seen his last world title, but even if we haven't, him and Chad Reed are the ONLY riders in MX/SX with more than one premier class title right now.... Let that sink in for a minute. When was the last time this was the case?

I read so many posts about people desperately trying convince others that their favorite rider is THE guy for whatever reason, but the reality is that there is no THE guy right now. To be able to compare someone with the likes of RC, Everts, RV or Cairoli a rider would have to win multiple titles for a certain amount of years. That scenario is years away for any rider on the gate right now. I really don't get how people don't see that.
pilotdude
1/17/2018 9:19am
Tomac's riding ability is the equal of those greats you mentioned. His mental game is nowhere close. The question is why and whether it can or will ever change.
ATKpilot99
1/17/2018 10:17am
Fearo wrote:
You guys replying to my post have proven my point exactly. It's all IFs and BUTs with riders right now. IF Roczen hadn't crashed, IF tomac...
You guys replying to my post have proven my point exactly.

It's all IFs and BUTs with riders right now. IF Roczen hadn't crashed, IF tomac hadn't....
Nobody is saying that the level of talent or skill is lower than it was in years past. However I don't think anyone of them is capable of going on a 5 year tear winning every championship like we have gotten accustomed to seeing.

Also, yes, I can know Cairoli is still racing, thanks for the info.....I do think his era of dominance is over and we have seen his last world title, but even if we haven't, him and Chad Reed are the ONLY riders in MX/SX with more than one premier class title right now.... Let that sink in for a minute. When was the last time this was the case?

I read so many posts about people desperately trying convince others that their favorite rider is THE guy for whatever reason, but the reality is that there is no THE guy right now. To be able to compare someone with the likes of RC, Everts, RV or Cairoli a rider would have to win multiple titles for a certain amount of years. That scenario is years away for any rider on the gate right now. I really don't get how people don't see that.
I agree with you . Roczen does have two AMA 450 mx titles though.... Unless you don't consider that premier Wink
Solli2208
1/17/2018 10:39am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 10:41am
WCRider wrote:
Tomac last year was faster and better than Roczen this year.

Look how Anderson pass Roczen. JA was in "ET beast mod on" saturday.

ET/Anderson>Roczen/Musquin.

Your comparison is completly inaccurate. How can you compare Tomac's Speed from last year, to Roczen's Speed when he was off the Bike for 7-8 Months? Not to mention, that Tomac's Pace at the beginning of 2017 was a mess. If you talk about who is the Best Rider in General, you have to get down from the Tomac/Anderson Bandwagon first.

If we let the Facts/Statistics speak, Roczen is clearly better then Tomac and Anderson if you compare their Results from the last few seasons. Whenever all of these guys where healthy throughout their 450cc Seasons, Roczen finished in front of them all the Time.

http://racerxonline.com/rider/ken-roczen/points
http://racerxonline.com/rider/eli-tomac/points
http://racerxonline.com/rider/jason-anderson/points

Post a reply to: Tomac’s main problem is completely out of his control

The Latest