Tomac’s in-between night

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2018 11:27 PM

Been a hero or goat year for him, but tonight he looked different. Had him to dominate.

Seemed to have a difficult time passing and blitzing the passes.

Even though he has great starts this year, I’ll bet inconsistent starters and riders who train super hard are not fans of the Triple Crown.

|

In my 60’s and still loving dirt scoots up here in the frozen north.

2021 Husky 501s

3/3/2018 11:31 PM

He seemed to be fast but was blowing some of those rhythm sections quite a bit.

|

3/3/2018 11:33 PM

In the second Moto in particular he looked rough in the whoops. Just like he didn't have enough forward momentum.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

3/3/2018 11:34 PM

I thought it was a decent night for him, he's kind of been labeled as a guy who either crashes or wins and tonight he didn't do either. I do have to agree though that while the result was alright he looked a little off out there.

|

3/4/2018 1:10 AM

It was a fantastic save when it looked like he was about to crash out. Skill and a cool head saved his ass, most of us would be eating dirt or tuff block..lol

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

3/4/2018 5:41 AM

He doesn’t seem to ride short straights with a lot of turn tracks. That Kaw loves big long straights so it can graze without turning.

|

3/4/2018 5:46 AM

Wasn’t his type of track.. Really tight and short lanes wasn’t it?
Im also glad he didn’t crash and just took a podium.
Anderson is great at the moment, can’t fault him.

|

3/4/2018 5:48 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

He seemed to be fast but was blowing some of those rhythm sections quite a bit.

This. He was quick, just made a few to many mistakes. But that track was pretty sketchy. As a tomac fan, as much as I was pulling for him to win, its nice to see he just had an "Okay night" and his okay was 3rd. No crashes, didn't really go back wards other than maybe moto 1. And he made some passes. He'll take it.

|

3/4/2018 5:49 AM

Took him a long time to figure the track out. At the end he was jumping the biggest lines that nobody else was doing and he had the quickest times. Too bad it was too late

|

3/4/2018 6:10 AM

Tomac is not a rider that elevates when tracks are rough, it goes the other direction. Saw it outdoors also last year. He does not like ruts and shit.

Smooth Atlanta, he does good. Rough Atlanta, not so good.

He just wants to pin it and the ruts and shit does not allow that.

|

3/4/2018 6:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2018 6:18 AM

aees wrote:

Tomac is not a rider that elevates when tracks are rough, it goes the other direction. Saw it outdoors also last year. He does not like ruts and shit.

I guess outdoor nationals in 2015 winning by over a minute suggests he isn't good at rough and nasty rutted tracks... And don't forget about his favorite track. Daytona which btw is this week. whistling wink

|

3/4/2018 6:25 AM

I didn't use to think he was a head case... But after watching him being content to sit behind Webb, I gotta wonder..

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

3/4/2018 6:29 AM

Lots of very conflicting assessments in this thread

|

3/4/2018 6:35 AM

Track was very slick last night, looked like he was having touble hooking up on the flats like the turn after the whoops and coming on to the start straight and the sweeper after. Anderson was super dialed on those sections.

|

3/4/2018 6:46 AM

early wrote:

Track was very slick last night, looked like he was having touble hooking up on the flats like the turn after the whoops and coming on to the start straight and the sweeper after. Anderson was super dialed on those sections.

Agreed. The track was one lined for a majority of the track and there wasn’t a huge differentiating obstacle in this track. Eli was doing the mid track rhythm triple but it wasn’t making up a ton of time.

|

3/4/2018 8:12 AM

First 2 races he was just ok. But the 3rd race he was on it.
He went by JA easily and pulled away. He was turning the fastest times and was catching Marvin. Although MM did ride really well.
The track was pretty one lined imo.

|

3/4/2018 9:02 AM

aees wrote:

that is the funniest I've read on vital EVER. If there is a guy that excels on nasty and rutted tracks than that would be tomac. however tight tracks aren't that ideal for a guy that is the master of the outside line.

anyways, he can't win all races and there was simply 2 guys better than hin tonight. nothing to worry about.

|

3/4/2018 9:12 AM

early wrote:

Jmicmoto13 wrote:

Agreed. The track was one lined for a majority of the track and there wasn’t a huge differentiating obstacle in this track. Eli was doing the mid track rhythm triple but it wasn’t making up a ton of time.

Actually, that triple I bet was worth a .5 second. Multiple times he pulled up on the bsck of the guy in front if him. However, he always would lose time in the long rhythm after the whoops. He'd miss jumping in that table about half the time. So the time he gained on the triple triple, he lost in the rhythm

|

3/4/2018 9:21 AM

It looked to me like he was just having an off night. I don't think it had anything to do with the track being rough or rutted or the layout itself, sometimes as a rider you just aren't in your groove. The best you can do in situations like this is just keep the bike up on 2 wheels and try to ride consistent laps to finish with a top 5, get the hell out of there and move on to the next week. If he was a serious contender for the points right now, he'd be pretty damn happy with his overall results for the night, but unfortunately since he's so far behind in points anything other than a win is just going to make the season that much longer.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

3/4/2018 9:39 AM

aees wrote:

What about Oakland last year?

|

If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck. - Kenny Powers

3/4/2018 10:08 AM

aees wrote:

Hello? What? Are you trolling?

|

3/4/2018 10:10 AM

aees wrote:

Yea , the outdoor title was a fluke, all smooth tracks. And the wins at the usgp s. Another fluke.

|

3/4/2018 10:41 AM

Looked like he's over sx and counting the days til the outdoors. Why risk a crash when you need to stay healthy for mx where he's the obvious favorite.

|

3/4/2018 10:57 AM

aees wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

Yea , the outdoor title was a fluke, all smooth tracks. And the wins at the usgp s. Another fluke.

Go back and look. As soon as he has to push it on rutty tracks it goes to shit. He gets away with it on soft tracks because you can just ignore the ruts more or less and create your owns. Tomac is not a smooth rider. His worst spots are long sections with triples and ruts. Looks like a beginner from time to time.

2015, ah yes you mean when he went balls out and crashed, in a long rut?

|

3/4/2018 11:00 AM

aees wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

aees wrote:

Go back and look. As soon as he has to push it on rutty tracks it goes to shit. He gets away with it on soft tracks because you can just ignore the ruts more or less and create your owns. Tomac is not a smooth rider. His worst spots are long sections with triples and ruts. Looks like a beginner from time to time.

2015, ah yes you mean when he went balls out and crashed, in a long rut?

Yep and his 2 outdoor titles.

|

3/4/2018 11:02 AM

aees wrote:

51xc wrote:

that is the funniest I've read on vital EVER. If there is a guy that excels on nasty and rutted tracks than that would be tomac. however tight tracks aren't that ideal for a guy that is the master of the outside line.

anyways, he can't win all races and there was simply 2 guys better than hin tonight. nothing to worry about.

Nasty and rutty is not same. Ruty hard packed is where Tomac crashes or gets beaten. Nasty soft track he can go balls out without so much consequences. Not saying he is a b or c rider but it's clear he is not comfortable, specially in supercross.

He lost more time then any top 5 in the whoops and the long rytm section yesterday and it is not first time you can see he is not comfortable on it.

|

3/4/2018 11:10 AM

Outdoors will be interesting this year.

|

3/4/2018 11:12 AM

gnarwhip wrote:

Looked like he's over sx and counting the days til the outdoors. Why risk a crash when you need to stay healthy for mx where he's the obvious favorite.

Really tough track to pass on and it didn’t help that he seemed to be struggling in the whoops.

|

If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck. - Kenny Powers

3/4/2018 11:16 AM

In the last race Eli was a BOSS!

The biggest difference that I noticed? He didn’t get great starts. He rode well. He seemed to have had some sort of set-up problem in the 1st race; but, the dude flew towards the end of the night

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/4/2018 11:16 AM

aees wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

No flukes the guy is just hot and cold can win any day.

|