Tomac's has no plans to retire in the near future!

karsmakers
7/22/2020 9:09pm
"I still love riding my motorcycle and I’m still motivated to race. Even with locking down the supercross championship this year, I want to keep racing as long as I’m competitive. I hate not being able to win, so as long as I can still win races and be competitive, I think you’ll still see me out there. I don’t want to put a time limit on anything - at least not for a couple years. Yeah, I’m looking towards the future and hopefully things get sorted out and we can go back to racing normally."
|
Adam43
7/22/2020 9:35pm
Yeah, I think the pundits that are sure he's done after next year are going to be disappointed.

His dad had huge longevity in his sport and is his driving influence.

I don't see anyone on the immediate horizon that will knock him off his perch either.
aeffertz
7/22/2020 9:53pm
He's vocalized this sentiment for a couple years now too so I really do think he wants to keep going. I've never gotten the "he's over it" vibe from him but maybe that's just because he's a bit of a media recluse (which I don't blame) and always just seems to have his eyes on the championship prize.

To me, he seems like the guy that will race until he's clearly out of the winners circle, not retire early because he's burnt out. He has his own training program chiseled around his specific needs, which I think will help prevent strict training regimen burnout. I just don't think he'll be the guy to win a championship and then retire afterwards. He seems to want one of the top spots in the record books. Not trying to gargle on him but I think he's the clear favorite for this years MX title and he'll be a heavy title favorite next year in SX as well.

I think it will take a new, younger 450 champ to maybe start to deter him. He's still on top of the current 450 class and seems to not be losing any steam yet.
dboivin
7/22/2020 10:37pm
hes fun to watch, i'm hoping he keeps riding for a long time. watching him come thru the pack is about the only saving grace to some races sometimes.
RalphS
7/22/2020 10:47pm
I think he retires once he doesn't have any chance at winning or when he gets 10+ national championships, so 5 more to go likely 4 by October.

The Shop

kpiper
7/23/2020 7:52am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2020 7:53am
dboivin wrote:
hes fun to watch, i'm hoping he keeps riding for a long time. watching him come thru the pack is about the only saving grace to...
hes fun to watch, i'm hoping he keeps riding for a long time. watching him come thru the pack is about the only saving grace to some races sometimes.
This is true. Most entertaining rider since Stewart...maybe ever. The races will be boring without him.

You know he really wants to win two SX in a row. He does seem like he will race until he doesn't win anymore instead of like how RC, RV and RD were quitting so early.

But you never know. Dungey once talked about racing for a while and then changed his mind.

Eli should win MX this summer but history says he won't. Only RC4 has won four in a row outdoors. That tells you how hard it is to do.
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
7/23/2020 8:02am
I still think we only see him for maybe 2-3 more years. He is 27 now, turning 28 in 4 months. I think he certainly has a chance to climb up the record books, but I don't think we will see him race 5 more years. If he does manage to keep on top or near the top for the next 5 years I think there is a good chance he is in at least 2nd in both MX wins and SX wins all time.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
7/23/2020 8:36am
I think next year +1 more and that will see him out of the current generation KX. Then he'll call it good, you know it takes him at least a year to get a new bike set up for him, past history of the 16 and 19 bikes show he's always a little off first year looking for comfort and by second year he's dialed. I don't think he'd want to do one year after that on a new generation bike and be chasing setup all year.
kb228
7/23/2020 8:44am
dboivin wrote:
hes fun to watch, i'm hoping he keeps riding for a long time. watching him come thru the pack is about the only saving grace to...
kpiper wrote:
This is true. Most entertaining rider since Stewart...maybe ever. The races will be boring without him. You know he really wants to win two SX in...
This is true. Most entertaining rider since Stewart...maybe ever. The races will be boring without him.

You know he really wants to win two SX in a row. He does seem like he will race until he doesn't win anymore instead of like how RC, RV and RD were quitting so early.

But you never know. Dungey once talked about racing for a while and then changed his mind.

Eli should win MX this summer but history says he won't. Only RC4 has won four in a row outdoors. That tells you how hard it is to do.
Tomac’s gap to 2nd place is too high to doubt him winning 4 in a row. Lets be honest, nobody is close to eli outdoors.
ridge
7/23/2020 9:01am
Wasn't his dad a BMXer or something? I wish announcers talked about his dad more.
Dimblewambie
7/23/2020 9:10am
ridge wrote:
Wasn't his dad a BMXer or something? I wish announcers talked about his dad more.
I thought Blake had the famous father?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/23/2020 9:51am
dboivin wrote:
When Tomac goes into beast mode and just starts throwing his bike into corners and smashing the jumps, it's mind-boggling to me. I've only been following the sport closely since 2015, but during that time there is nobody else who rides like that. A couple guys have flashed it from time to time, but Tomac does it regularly, and does it for laps at a time. It's crazy. (Ryan Dungey never needed to do that because he was always so smooth and rarely put himself in a bad position.)
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/23/2020 10:00am
kpiper wrote:
This is true. Most entertaining rider since Stewart...maybe ever. The races will be boring without him. You know he really wants to win two SX in...

I think Tomac's dominance the last 3 years is more of an indicator for how he'll do in 2020 than what history says.

Tomac has won 35 of the 72 motos over the past 3 years. And he has 20 more podium finishes in that time.

Only Carmichael and Tony DiStefano had even won 3 years in a row before Tomac did.

History kept telling us that Tomac wouldn't win a SX title because he didn't win his first one soon enough. These are all arbitrary historical barriers that usually tell us more about who was racing at a specific time than it tells us about a specific rider's chances of doing something now.
MX/SX Fan
7/23/2020 10:04am
I’ve been watching him since amateurs and his dad was very intentional in not going all over the country. He would not chase all the amateur nationals. I think that plays into his longevity as a pro.
mxb2
7/23/2020 10:13am
kpiper wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:
I think Tomac's dominance the last 3 years is more of an indicator for how he'll do in 2020 than what history says. Tomac has won...
I think Tomac's dominance the last 3 years is more of an indicator for how he'll do in 2020 than what history says.

Tomac has won 35 of the 72 motos over the past 3 years. And he has 20 more podium finishes in that time.

Only Carmichael and Tony DiStefano had even won 3 years in a row before Tomac did.

History kept telling us that Tomac wouldn't win a SX title because he didn't win his first one soon enough. These are all arbitrary historical barriers that usually tell us more about who was racing at a specific time than it tells us about a specific rider's chances of doing something now.
Gary jones, i think also. 3 in a row. Legend status stuff.
7/23/2020 10:13am
Good to hear! And it looks like his GF won't have much say in it either. If she couldn't get a wedding by now, she sure as hell won't be making career decisions for him!
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/23/2020 10:15am
kpiper wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:
I think Tomac's dominance the last 3 years is more of an indicator for how he'll do in 2020 than what history says. Tomac has won...

mxb2 wrote:
Gary jones, i think also. 3 in a row. Legend status stuff.
Oops - yes you are correct.
Motoxdoc
7/23/2020 10:35am
Considering the sport has a way of retiring racers who had no such plan to begin with...this is hardly surprising news. it is very seldom that a racer announces his retirement while he is still racing....ala RC and MC. Usually it’s more like, “I’m hoping to race the next series if my concussion syndrome lets me, or my wrist let’s me, or my foot, or my vision let’s me.”...ala GL and WP.; then guess what happens next? Hell, KDub literally made the decision between practice and the first heat race! ET just got his 1st SX title. After celebrating with a big “Wooo!!”... Did you think he was going to announce that he’s giving up the chance to do that again anytime soon?Huh
ElliotB16
7/23/2020 10:48am
There’s no way he’s going to come out and say he’s done in the next year or 2. Even Dungey denied it until his announcement.
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
7/23/2020 11:34am
He is like good wine. No reason to retire anytime soon.
BMSOBx2
7/23/2020 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2020 5:59pm
It's a young man's game. I don't see Eli racing in his thirties. Two more years tops.
kpiper
7/23/2020 6:11pm
Tomac seems to be at his peak right now and that usually goes for 2-3 years right?
agn5009
7/23/2020 6:16pm
dboivin wrote:
kpiper wrote:

There ain't many guys who have even won 3 mx titles. Hes a legend.
Pirate421
7/23/2020 8:51pm
dboivin wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
When Tomac goes into beast mode and just starts throwing his bike into corners and smashing the jumps, it's mind-boggling to me. I've only been following...
When Tomac goes into beast mode and just starts throwing his bike into corners and smashing the jumps, it's mind-boggling to me. I've only been following the sport closely since 2015, but during that time there is nobody else who rides like that. A couple guys have flashed it from time to time, but Tomac does it regularly, and does it for laps at a time. It's crazy. (Ryan Dungey never needed to do that because he was always so smooth and rarely put himself in a bad position.)
I was at southwick a few years ago watching him battle roczen and I’ll say that no one can ride a bike as hard as tomac. I was on the side of the track and you could feel it in the ground you were standing on how hard he was hitting everything. It was surreal and gave you goosebumps almost just seeing the aggression, speed and how much of a hurting he put on that track.
bents
Fantasy
694th
7/23/2020 8:58pm
The guy is a beast and I would love to see him win another outdoor title and back it up with another sx title. Love the domination and then lets see who can nut up and challenge the alpha.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/23/2020 10:15pm
I’m thinking another 4-5 years is a good possibility. Not as likely to burn out early like other past Champions that chose a different route with training
shortcourse
7/23/2020 11:14pm

If Webb was healthy coming into the SX season he would have won his second SX championship...So go ahead and hate on me, but just give that some thought.
kkawboy14
7/23/2020 11:45pm
If Webb was healthy coming into the SX season he would have won his second SX championship...So go ahead and hate on me, but just give...

If Webb was healthy coming into the SX season he would have won his second SX championship...So go ahead and hate on me, but just give that some thought.
If Covid didn’t happen Webb might not even have been in the top 5 because of his crash! Give that some thought!
shortcourse
7/24/2020 12:00am
kkawboy14 wrote:
If Covid didn’t happen Webb might not even have been in the top 5 because of his crash! Give that some thought!

You seemed to miss that the next week after the crash he was on the podium in 3rd place in Atlanta. So that don't really fly very far does it. He was pretty sick the first couple of rounds, and that's what I'm referring to.
RalphS
7/24/2020 12:16am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2020 12:18am
For the guy saying a healthy Webb would have won. Same goes with Tomac last year, Musquin in '18 and Roczen in '17. What if, woulda, shoulda, coulda don't matter they all know it, you should too.

Post a reply to: Tomac's has no plans to retire in the near future!

The Latest