Tomac's Issue in Moto 1

ruskymx
Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 5:28pm
I saw GuyB's post on Instagram earlier today about Tomac having vision issues and I know he was wiping his goggles on the Big Gulp (step up triple going up the hill before Henry Hill) just about every lap. I wasn't sure what lap it was by the time I made it up there so I did some research looking through my photos and the lap charts.

[img]
|
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
8/21/2017 10:38pm
How fun dude
8/21/2017 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 10:47pm
Thanks for the analysis, Zapruder. Back and to the left!

The Shop

jemcee
8/21/2017 11:11pm
Payback for the finger?! haha
goinrcn44h
Fantasy
788th
8/21/2017 11:59pm
I will never understand why anyone would use tear offs over roll offs.. ever.
I wore nothing but smith rolloffs for my entire career and i know im far pickier than most about vision regardless of the era.
Too much at stake in my opinion to risk using tearoffs. Just my opinion.
aees
8/22/2017 1:50am
goinrcn44h wrote:
I will never understand why anyone would use tear offs over roll offs.. ever. I wore nothing but smith rolloffs for my entire career and i...
I wore nothing but smith rolloffs for my entire career and i know im far pickier than most about vision regardless of the era.
There is risk with everything, but i agree. Today with 50mm vision on Prospect and others it becomes less of an issue. Might be google companies that spec tear-off also. A pure roll-off business would not be as lucrative.

If you get water or dirt under the film on roll-offs however, you could be completely fucked since you cant get rid of the whole system but would have to ditch the googles completely.
8/22/2017 1:57am
goinrcn44h wrote:
I will never understand why anyone would use tear offs over roll offs.. ever. I wore nothing but smith rolloffs for my entire career and i...
I agree to an extent but roll offs kind of have a stigma of not being that reliable and potentially breaking. In this case he probably pulled them all at once early on, which besides that and running just running out they're kind of fool proof. Plus the added vision can be a pretty big deal, if it's not mud I can definitely see why most run tear offs.
PRM31
8/22/2017 5:54am
Either tearoffs now suck, riders are more picky, or they simply screw it up, but it seems there have been more vision issues than I ever recall.
kkawboy14
8/22/2017 5:56am
No finger on the front brake, I see his problem, and not 3 fingers on the clutch.....
8/22/2017 5:59am
goinrcn44h wrote:
All it takes is a rock to one of the canisters and you have a mile of film streaming behind the rider for a moto. Pull strings can break, etc. There is no 100% perfect solution for every situation.
Bramlett321
8/22/2017 6:01am
PRM31 wrote:
Either tearoffs now suck, riders are more picky, or they simply screw it up, but it seems there have been more vision issues than I ever...
Either tearoffs now suck, riders are more picky, or they simply screw it up, but it seems there have been more vision issues than I ever recall.
^^^^seems that way doesn't it....I've got a pair of the airbrake's with the roll off system and they work incredibly well. Do you think since the invention of the laminate tear off that it's gotten worse. ie: pull one, pull all a little more easily.
slipdog
8/22/2017 6:27am
PRM31 wrote:
Either tearoffs now suck, riders are more picky, or they simply screw it up, but it seems there have been more vision issues than I ever...
^^^^seems that way doesn't it....I've got a pair of the airbrake's with the roll off system and they work incredibly well. Do you think since the...
^^^^seems that way doesn't it....I've got a pair of the airbrake's with the roll off system and they work incredibly well. Do you think since the invention of the laminate tear off that it's gotten worse. ie: pull one, pull all a little more easily.
I raced my whole life with Scott 89's and never had a tear off issue. Now a days I have never stacked more than 3 laminate tear offs that didn't all come off at one time.
ktmdan
8/22/2017 7:06am
I've had more issues with roll-offs than tearoffs. Nothing is more annoying than getting a couple drops of water underneath the rolloff film...
Then again the most tearoffs I've had stacked was only 7...
Swann
8/22/2017 9:11am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 9:12am
goinrcn44h wrote:
I used roll-offs a lot in muddy desert and enduro races because they're better when contending with moisture. However, tear-offs are significantly better in mud mainly because of the larger field of clear vision.
peelout
8/22/2017 9:28am
his issue in moto 1 was Justin Bogle and 5 other dudes, bro
IceMan446
8/22/2017 11:13am
PRM31 wrote:
^^^^seems that way doesn't it....I've got a pair of the airbrake's with the roll off system and they work incredibly well. Do you think since the...
I have never pulled all of my tear offs off at one time until I raced Washougal this year. Happened on the first lap and I couldn't see a god damn thing the whole moto. I have a way of folding my tear offs that have helped me not do that but shit happens I guess.

I never have run laminates but I feel like they would be more apt to getting pulled off all at once.
peelout
8/22/2017 12:17pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I have never pulled all of my tear offs off at one time until I raced Washougal this year. Happened on the first lap and I...
I have never pulled all of my tear offs off at one time until I raced Washougal this year. Happened on the first lap and I couldn't see a god damn thing the whole moto. I have a way of folding my tear offs that have helped me not do that but shit happens I guess.

I never have run laminates but I feel like they would be more apt to getting pulled off all at once.
i raced a desert race in the sleet, rain, and snow and had the laminated tear-offs come off on the second tear-off. i was absolutely miserable for 30 of the first 33 miles. second loop it happened again about 8 miles in. third loop i made it almost halfway before they all pulled off yet again. finished the race with no goggles and a ton of mud and sand in my eyes.

laminated tear-offs are the worst invention since the jump to conclusions mat.
mb60
8/22/2017 3:08pm
peelout wrote:
i raced a desert race in the sleet, rain, and snow and had the laminated tear-offs come off on the second tear-off. i was absolutely miserable...
i raced a desert race in the sleet, rain, and snow and had the laminated tear-offs come off on the second tear-off. i was absolutely miserable for 30 of the first 33 miles. second loop it happened again about 8 miles in. third loop i made it almost halfway before they all pulled off yet again. finished the race with no goggles and a ton of mud and sand in my eyes.

laminated tear-offs are the worst invention since the jump to conclusions mat.
Pictures ???
Mx286
8/22/2017 4:31pm
Never had any luck with roll offs. Seems like every time I use them water gets under the film and it's down hill from there.

Had much better results with laminated. You get a clear field of vision after every pull. I wish they were available in pairs of 3's. Using 7 at a time for me is almost a waste when I only pull around 3 on average per moto depending on track condition.

Using individual tear offs can create a really bad glare when stacking more than 2 or 3. Which goes back to why it would be nice to have laminates available in 3 packs for the regular racer.

RangerLee
8/22/2017 5:13pm
PRM31 wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to run tear offs over roll offs? Sounds funny right, but in tough conditions having a system where you use the tear offs first, and then you have roll offs once the TO's are done. Like a safety chute.

I know at the moment having one of each will not work, it would have to be a new design, but just a thought.
tcallahan707
8/22/2017 5:18pm
PRM31 wrote:
RangerLee wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to run tear offs over roll offs? Sounds funny right, but in tough conditions having a system where you...
I wonder if it would be possible to run tear offs over roll offs? Sounds funny right, but in tough conditions having a system where you use the tear offs first, and then you have roll offs once the TO's are done. Like a safety chute.

I know at the moment having one of each will not work, it would have to be a new design, but just a thought.
I had this setup about 10 years ago. I think on Smiths? They had tearoff posts on the canisters. They don't do this anymore?
tuggy450
8/22/2017 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 5:28pm
I never ran tear offs also. Roll offs all the way. You do need the little visor thingy or water gets underneath. Smith roll offs, ok I liked my scotts, system so much I still have it. Funny I just checked an old picture and my goggles are hanging from my bars, smith roll offs

Post a reply to: Tomac's Issue in Moto 1

The Latest