Tomac's First Shoulder Surgery...

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 6/8/2015 9:01pm
PR...

Eli Tomac undergoes successful shoulder surgery; prognosis improves

CORONA, Calif. (June 8) -- GEICO Honda rider Eli Tomac underwent successful surgery on his left shoulder last Thursday and is on the road to recovery following his motocross accident May 30 at the Thunder Valley National in Denver.

Doctors at Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colo., successfully repaired damaged tendons in Tomac's left shoulder. The surgery for Tomac's right shoulder, which needs a less-complicated repair, has been scheduled to take place in two weeks.

Tomac already has begun physical therapy to aid in the immediate recovery of the injury. A complete recovery is expected for both shoulders later this fall.
|
dak446
6/8/2015 11:28am
Hopefully he can make it to Monster Cup.
andyman
6/8/2015 11:51am
Is this pr coming from Honda?

Just wondering because Eli's contract situation is kinda unknown.

The Shop

joeellis
6/8/2015 12:07pm
Great to hear. Sounds like a good possibility he may be ready for SX 2016.
6/8/2015 12:09pm
andyman wrote:

It certainly isn't coming from Kawasaki
Starcrossed
6/8/2015 12:11pm
Sounds good so far. Hope Eli is able to make a complete and speedy recovery, and return to the form he displayed in the first few races this MX season.
Danster
6/8/2015 12:13pm
GuyB wrote:
PR... Eli Tomac undergoes successful shoulder surgery; prognosis improves CORONA, Calif. (June 8) -- GEICO Honda rider Eli Tomac underwent successful surgery on his left shoulder...
PR...

Eli Tomac undergoes successful shoulder surgery; prognosis improves

CORONA, Calif. (June 8) -- GEICO Honda rider Eli Tomac underwent successful surgery on his left shoulder last Thursday and is on the road to recovery following his motocross accident May 30 at the Thunder Valley National in Denver.

Doctors at Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colo., successfully repaired damaged tendons in Tomac's left shoulder. The surgery for Tomac's right shoulder, which needs a less-complicated repair, has been scheduled to take place in two weeks.

Tomac already has begun physical therapy to aid in the immediate recovery of the injury. A complete recovery is expected for both shoulders later this fall.
Wishful thinking.....
Hoping he makes it back for the MXDN so we have some kind of chance of winning...
If Stewart comes back for the last couple of outdoor races, I think he should be on the team.
No Tomac
No Canard
No chance at the MXDN
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/8/2015 12:16pm
andyman wrote:

It's from the GEICO Honda team.
Outsider
6/8/2015 12:19pm
Damn I missed this... both shoulders?
Olson
6/8/2015 12:19pm
dak446 wrote:
Hopefully he can make it to Monster Cup.
Screw the Monster cup. Rather see him come fully healed and prepared for the real racing in January.
KTMShane699
6/8/2015 12:32pm
andyman wrote:

What's unknown about his contract situation? He's currently under contract for Geico Honda until October of this year. After that, all indicators say he's going to Kawasaki. But until that is official, and the contract start date has been reached...he's a contracted Honda rider. Actually, even if he had no contract for next year as of now he's a contracted Honda rider.

Shane
DTHA70
6/8/2015 12:49pm
if he's coming back THIS fall, then his rotator cuff wasnt as bad as they thought. its 8 months no matter who you are with one of those things. hell, i was on PED's when i tore mine and it still took 8 months to lift my arm over my head, let alone lift or ride. His prognosis sounds good, and that is good for all of us.
oacjr
6/8/2015 6:21pm
Tomac already has begun physical therapy to aid in the immediate recovery of the injury.

It's normal to start physical therapy soon after surgery.

They had me up and walking the same day for a total knee replacement.
Don't get me wrong. It's sad to see any rider go down and get hurt. I'm just pointing out the Bull Shit they put in the press release.
500guy
6/8/2015 6:24pm
Hope He has a full and speedy recovery. Was really a pleasure watching him , I would say racing but He wasn't racing anyone they were all racing him.
gt80rider
6/8/2015 6:33pm
Between et3 and ac50 and sooo many others, is there not one piece of safety equipment that could help prevent sboulder injuries?
Sully22
6/8/2015 6:34pm
wishing Eli the best and a speedy recovery. in my opinion, he's one of the good guys and truly amazing to watch on a dirt scoot...
Xracerdone
6/8/2015 7:07pm
DTHA70 wrote:
if he's coming back THIS fall, then his rotator cuff wasnt as bad as they thought. its 8 months no matter who you are with one...
if he's coming back THIS fall, then his rotator cuff wasnt as bad as they thought. its 8 months no matter who you are with one of those things. hell, i was on PED's when i tore mine and it still took 8 months to lift my arm over my head, let alone lift or ride. His prognosis sounds good, and that is good for all of us.
Agree, it took a while to ride a bicycle, forget about MX. I am 7-8 months out from a second shoulder surgery, this time with a bone block (Laterjet) to stop the recurrent dislocations as well as two rotators, a few other tendons, they removed my labrum. I could've a month ago or so maybe started riding but in small doses & no big jumps. However I am not an athlete nor do I get paid to ride that thing so it could be totally different for him
BobbyM
6/8/2015 7:12pm
DTHA70 wrote:
if he's coming back THIS fall, then his rotator cuff wasnt as bad as they thought. its 8 months no matter who you are with one...
Ruptured rotator cuff then two months later snapped my humorous from a spiral fracture sustained in the original collision. Hopping around on one leg while the bone was trying to gel was not cool.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/8/2015 7:15pm
gt80rider wrote:
Between et3 and ac50 and sooo many others, is there not one piece of safety equipment that could help prevent sboulder injuries?
Yes. It's being a spectator instead of a rider.
Hut
6/8/2015 7:27pm
DTHA70 wrote:
I remember when I went through it I missed two Bow hunting seasons. That was a long recovery
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/8/2015 8:06pm
oacjr wrote:
[b]Tomac already has begun physical therapy to aid in the immediate recovery of the injury.[/b] It's normal to start physical therapy soon after surgery. They had...
Tomac already has begun physical therapy to aid in the immediate recovery of the injury.

It's normal to start physical therapy soon after surgery.

They had me up and walking the same day for a total knee replacement.
Don't get me wrong. It's sad to see any rider go down and get hurt. I'm just pointing out the Bull Shit they put in the press release.
What bs?

Physical therapy at this point could be as simple as a recirculating cooler to keep swelling down.
6/8/2015 8:16pm
gt80rider wrote:
Think about how much greater range of motion the shoulder socket operates with vs any other joint in the body. Then think about how many different ways it's possible to eject off a motorcycle riding as gnarly as the likes of ET3 and AC50.

Ok, fine.. Let's throw logic out the window. Here's an exclusive photo of Tomac testing the new Leatt Moto Body Brace prototype..

JRMX59
6/8/2015 8:35pm
I had a 2/3rds torn rotator cuff repair February 18. I'm riding my xr100 at home and my xr650l on light trails 2 weeks now. It's going to be a long time before I can really Moto my 450 though. No pulling up to seat bounce etc. i think he'll be ready come A1 2016. I'm 56. Also I'm having my other shoulder re replaced on July 7. That ones worn out from riding/working since Jan 2003.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/8/2015 8:40pm
He'll come back wiser and hungrier.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/8/2015 8:50pm
I had my left shoulder done 2 years ago. I had torn the bicep tendon and labrum off the bone. 6 anchors to reattach them. Rotator cuff was also partial tear, which was also repaired. He cleaned up some bone spurs and arthritis while he was in there. It took 4 weeks, before I started "physical therapy". I iced it and laid around for the first 2 weeks, without even thinking about moving it. I started taking it out of the sling and moving it around for a couple weeks, before "physical therapy" started. Then 3 months of 3 days a week, which was extremely painful. I rode my bike 5 months after surgery, with ZERO pain and had full movement. I'm a firm believer in pushing as hard as possible in therapy, it pays off in the end. My shoulder s 100% now, but the other one will need the same surgery soon. I can still ride with no pain, just can't lift my arm above my head. Sleeping is a bitch, because I constantly wake up when I turn over in bed from the pain. That is getting OLD fast, looking forward to having it fixed, but having way too much fun riding again, after being off the bike for 5 months from my recent injury.

Hopefully Eli can come back strong on the Kawasaki @ A-1, he's on a different riding level than everyone else right now.
BobPA
6/8/2015 8:52pm
I hope he is 100% for the start of SX, but that seems to be really pushing it for this type of injury. I wish him the best of luck.
mjskier
6/8/2015 9:01pm
I'm sure there are competent surgeons all over the US, but the Steadman clinic is the shit. They have put seriously injured skiers and football players back in play a lot faster than your average Joe can dream of.

Post a reply to: Tomac's First Shoulder Surgery...

The Latest