Tomac truly is a head case!

gabrielito
8/12/2017 2:04pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I don't think pressure had anything to do with it. Track was an ice skating rink. A smart dude " wouldn't " push it on that...
I don't think pressure had anything to do with it. Track was an ice skating rink. A smart dude " wouldn't " push it on that. A smart dude protects his points by just finishing the race. He'll make these points back up in the last two rounds....watch.
Not mentally weak just not very intelligent? perhaps.
8/12/2017 2:41pm
I'd say his wildly erratic finishes this year at Thunder Valley and High Point after being so dominant at Hang Town is a microcosm of his...
I'd say his wildly erratic finishes this year at Thunder Valley and High Point after being so dominant at Hang Town is a microcosm of his history. He can't run away from competitors that he's supposed to be so much faster than. And today's 10th-place finish was discouraging in my book. I mean he went backwards while Marvin and Blake were going forward. So there's that example. Don't give me the mudder excuse. Everyone was riding the same track. For someone that's supposed to be the fastest rider on the planet, he throws out the anchor more than any others I've seen.
And then there's the absolute choke in New Jersey this year when he had the red plate. I've never seen some one so fast throw it away like that. If you can't see that as a choke, then so be it. But his complete mediocrity during that weekend was baffling. Did they ever even explain why he was so bad that night? I say it was the pressure.
I also remember when he was in the thick of a 250 supercross battle with Roczen in 2013, he couldn't even get through the whoops in the main. Do you remember that? I've never seen a top-flight rider look so bad. I remember being embarrassed for him. I think he lost the title that year didn't he? I don't know. But that was one of the biggest choke jobs I've ever seen. And remember, earlier that night, he went through the whoops just fine in the qualifying stages. When the chips were down, he gagged. Do you remember any of this Old-Man because I promise I'm not making it up.
And there was that time at the MXDN maybe in 2014 or so where he was marching through the field in the MX2 class and threw it all away with a major get off. I think it cost the U.S. the title that year didn't it?
And didn't he throw away a 250 title to Baggett before because of his numerous get offs? I think he did. He's just not the toughest mentally I've ever seen. That was my point. Like I said, I'm cheering for him but I just don't think he's gonna go down as a great racer because of his give-aways.

You basically listed every crash and not top 5 finish in his career for your argument for him being a head case. We could do this with every rider. I was hoping for something better.
8/12/2017 2:49pm
I'd say his wildly erratic finishes this year at Thunder Valley and High Point after being so dominant at Hang Town is a microcosm of his...
I'd say his wildly erratic finishes this year at Thunder Valley and High Point after being so dominant at Hang Town is a microcosm of his history. He can't run away from competitors that he's supposed to be so much faster than. And today's 10th-place finish was discouraging in my book. I mean he went backwards while Marvin and Blake were going forward. So there's that example. Don't give me the mudder excuse. Everyone was riding the same track. For someone that's supposed to be the fastest rider on the planet, he throws out the anchor more than any others I've seen.
And then there's the absolute choke in New Jersey this year when he had the red plate. I've never seen some one so fast throw it away like that. If you can't see that as a choke, then so be it. But his complete mediocrity during that weekend was baffling. Did they ever even explain why he was so bad that night? I say it was the pressure.
I also remember when he was in the thick of a 250 supercross battle with Roczen in 2013, he couldn't even get through the whoops in the main. Do you remember that? I've never seen a top-flight rider look so bad. I remember being embarrassed for him. I think he lost the title that year didn't he? I don't know. But that was one of the biggest choke jobs I've ever seen. And remember, earlier that night, he went through the whoops just fine in the qualifying stages. When the chips were down, he gagged. Do you remember any of this Old-Man because I promise I'm not making it up.
And there was that time at the MXDN maybe in 2014 or so where he was marching through the field in the MX2 class and threw it all away with a major get off. I think it cost the U.S. the title that year didn't it?
And didn't he throw away a 250 title to Baggett before because of his numerous get offs? I think he did. He's just not the toughest mentally I've ever seen. That was my point. Like I said, I'm cheering for him but I just don't think he's gonna go down as a great racer because of his give-aways.

You basically listed every crash and not top 5 finish in his career for your argument for him being a head case. We could do this...
You basically listed every crash and not top 5 finish in his career for your argument for him being a head case. We could do this with every rider. I was hoping for something better.
Well I like your optimism Danny Boy. Actually I just listed a few occassions where he's thrown away TITLES. Not mere crashes. We both know he's had many more crashes. But again I hope you're wrong because I'm pulling for him. I just have my doubts about him.
8/12/2017 3:07pm

You basically listed every crash and not top 5 finish in his career for your argument for him being a head case. We could do this...
Well I like your optimism Danny Boy. Actually I just listed a few occassions where he's thrown away TITLES. Not mere crashes. We both know he's...
Well I like your optimism Danny Boy. Actually I just listed a few occassions where he's thrown away TITLES. Not mere crashes. We both know he's had many more crashes. But again I hope you're wrong because I'm pulling for him. I just have my doubts about him.
My point is based on your logic you could make the same case for Marvin, Baggett, Jmart, Webb, Herlings, etc... How about the year Tomac ran down Roczen and won the outdoor title? Roczen is a head case?

Anyways, nice discussion. Guess we'll see what happens.

The Shop

RandyS
8/12/2017 3:08pm
I think it's a safe bet that Dungey would have it pretty much wrapped up after this moto.
8/12/2017 3:10pm
RandyS wrote:
I think it's a safe bet that Dungey would have it pretty much wrapped up after this moto.
I don't want to agree you're right but I admit you are.
Gandorlf
8/12/2017 3:11pm
At least he didn't try and murder the fans with his bike a la musquin. Come back when Musquin wins the title, chump.
Bigjimmyd
8/12/2017 3:16pm
Maybe Tomac should just quit now and just train for the MXON!! Geez you keyboard warriors have it all figured out!
block75
8/12/2017 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 3:26pm
So bagget finshes outside top ten 2nd moto does that mean he isn't mentally right? Bunch of idiots some people on here
SwingHard
8/12/2017 3:28pm
RandyS wrote:
Would this be, pre or post RV retirement?
8/12/2017 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 3:37pm

I kind of agreed with your logic earlier but now you're just going a little over board. If you remember Salt Lake City so well you'll remember that Osborne, who was on the same team as Tomac also struggled in the whoops that night and also ended up crashing out of the race in the whoops because apparently the team had given them a setting that was supposedly better but actually wasn't. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure but take that for what you will.

Apparently by your logic battling for championships and not winning sometimes is worse than never being in contention at all.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/12/2017 3:35pm
Ted722 wrote:
So when does Marvin pull over for Blake? Less than 10 points between Blake and Eli? Eli and team would have an f'n meltdown!
langhammx wrote:
Your math is not very good....
21 points as of right now.
F.B wrote:
Your reading comprehension is not very good...
Well, between working really long hours and not having my reading glasses on, I will admit I didn't "read thru the lines" and missed the question mark at the end of that sentence. But I can assure you that my reading comprehension is normally better than most on this forum. Wink

BTW- Marvin won't be pulling over for Baggett, so this whole thing is not worth the time it took to reply.

Carry on... I got work to do !
cali11
8/12/2017 4:00pm
I hope Tomac can hold onto this title, he has lost a ton of points the last 6 motos. Love how your a key board warrior, when you say somthing negative about ET. I just can't understand WTF he is doing!
RandyS
8/12/2017 4:09pm
RandyS wrote:
SwingHard wrote:
Would this be, pre or post RV retirement?
RV didn't start the year racing so I don't get what your point is, why don't we add RC into the mix.
8/12/2017 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 4:28pm
There are two races remaining. So, lets assume MM, ET and BB score the same points over the next two races...as they have scored over the last two.

MM: 25 25 25 25 = 100 points
ET: 22 22 11 16 = 71 points
BC: 14 18 22 10 = 64 points

Standings would be:
ET: 471
MM: 469
BB: 437

Way way too close. I am sorry, but that is not playing it smart. Eli has let way too many points go with his results at Spring Creek and Unadilla. What ever the reason, it is not good. You can't put it down to the tracks either. In the past Tomac has been GREAT at Unadilla....so there is not guarantee he will suddenly step it up at the next two tracks.
mxjon454
8/12/2017 4:34pm
So what, he didnt have that great of a day. Hes been on the podium the most out of these guys and if it wasnt for a rock in that second moto at glen helen hed probably be up 2 motos on the field lol tomac isnt a james stewart or ricky Carmichael, where he dominates the field. He'll go 1-1 at budds next weekend and 1-1 at ironman the weekend after that.
8/12/2017 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 4:37pm
IMO Tomac's only problem is that he's a bad starter. It sets him up for the unexpected and having to push harder than he would if he started upfront.

Post a reply to: Tomac truly is a head case!

The Latest