Tomac’s and others shredded Tires

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2019 6:41 PM

Apparently Tomac’s rear tire fell apart at Glendale. Anyone got photos? (Not that the team or Dunlop want us to see this)

Or does anyone know of rider this has happened to in the past - rear tire falling apart during a single supercross race on the big stage?

|

1/17/2019 6:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2019 6:52 PM

dirtwalker wrote:

Apparently Tomac’s rear tire fell apart at Glendale. Anyone got photos? (Not that the team or Dunlop want us to see this)

Or does anyone know of rider this has happened to in the past - rear tire falling apart during a single supercross race on the big stage?

"Apparently Tomac’s rear tire fell apart at Glendale. Anyone got photos? (Not that the team or Dunlop want us to see this)"

A tire manufacturer who's name I am apparently not supposed to mention, also doesn't like people seeing them test and then seeing a post on this site about them being seen testing even though they go to tracks that are open to the public that have a lot of riders at them. Guess we are all supposed to pretend we didn't see their big black and yellow van parked right next to one of the busiest tracks at the facility they were recently seen at, lol.

Photo

|

1/17/2019 6:55 PM

Those factory tires aren't made to hold up. They are made to do a 20 lap main , then tossed in the garbage. That track was blue grooved and sketchy as hell.....so yeah , I could see why they got destroyed.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/17/2019 6:58 PM

This is why we didnt much of a charge .

|

1/17/2019 6:59 PM

They need to have Spec tires or off the rack tires.

|

1/17/2019 7:00 PM

"Knobby Adhesive"

Photo

|

1/17/2019 7:08 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Those factory tires aren't made to hold up. They are made to do a 20 lap main , then tossed in the garbage. That track was blue grooved and sketchy as hell.....so yeah , I could see why they got destroyed.

It should still be working well at the end of the main though.

|

1/17/2019 7:11 PM

Just some info I pulled up on the first two races.

Around 95% of racers for Dunlop are on the MX33 rear tread pattern. Over half of the 250 class at both races were on the MX33 production tire, no compound change from consumer tire.

Both 450 class winners and the Phoenix 250 class winner have been on MX33 tread patterned front tires.

At Phoenix, 1 Pirelli rider made the 250 main, rest were with Dunlops. (Maybe one Hoosier, trying to confirm)

At A1, 2 Pirelli and 1 Hoosier rider made the main for 250s.

A good chunk of the 450 class is now running the 120/90-19 rear tire.

As it’s been brought up multiple times, the majority of spec tires might have softer rubber compounds but also have stiffer sidewalls due to the load placed on the tire in Supercross, especially up front.

|

1/17/2019 7:40 PM

500guy wrote:

250 class should definitely be a spec production tire for all riders bought off the same truck at the event.

|

1/17/2019 7:41 PM

Over half on the production tyre because they can’t source the spec tyre. I see Hoosier will make grounds on these people soon

|

1/17/2019 7:55 PM

Michael is in the ballpark. At the professional level, carcass construction is more important than compounding. High grip is nice but the carcass is what gives a tire it's "feel". And "feel" is a highly subjective thing peculiar to the individual rider, his weight, speed and suspension settings, ad nauseam. The advantage of having tire support is in having a selection of variables. Much like the rest of the components that make up the whole bike. From this we learned interesting things that soon found their way into production product.

Side note: we developed the 120/90-19 size for the 500's ( to run on 2.50 width rims). So we really do have an open class again, except now we call them 450's. Interesting...

|

1/17/2019 8:23 PM

Mr. Swienhart, the privateer's champ!

|

1/17/2019 8:32 PM

I'd like to see pictures as well.. on a unrelated note, i wish their were more tyre manufacturers in this industry... On a double side note, are pirelli not that viable of a choice anymore??

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

1/17/2019 8:41 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

I'd like to see pictures as well.. on a unrelated note, i wish their were more tyre manufacturers in this industry... On a double side note, are pirelli not that viable of a choice anymore??

do you mean supporting pro level teams? if so yes, i agree its not quite the same with everyone running same tire. wouldnt be surprised to see dunlop become a spec brand in the coming years

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

1/17/2019 9:06 PM

ML512 wrote:

Around 95% of racers for Dunlop are on the MX33 rear tread pattern. Over half of the 250 class at both races were on the MX33 production tire, no compound change from consumer tire.

Both 450 class winners and the Phoenix 250 class winner have been on MX33 tread patterned front tires.

At Phoenix, 1 Pirelli rider made the 250 main, rest were with Dunlops. (Maybe one Hoosier, trying to confirm)

As it’s been brought up multiple times, the majority of spec tires might have softer rubber compounds but also have stiffer sidewalls due to the load placed on the tire in Supercross, especially up front.

That can’t be... I read that the MX33 tires had no grip and weren’t as good as the Mx3S that they replaced ! Why would these pro racers pick such a terrible tire ??

|

1/17/2019 9:28 PM

ML512 wrote:

A Hoosier finished 13th in the 250 main

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/17/2019 9:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2019 9:44 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

I think it comes more down to support and where the different tire manufacturers wants to market their product..

Look at MXGP and Pirelli won 53 out of 54 races (26 out of 27 in MXGP and all in MX2) in 2018.

Nothing wrong with Pirelli tires, and especially not the calendar... wink

|

1/17/2019 11:35 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

For sure.
Just curious how bad it was, how it fell apart and if there have been other times where a rider got significantly held back by a tire durability issue.

Its a bit unusual an issue in motocross, especially supercross. When’s the last time someone talked about riding to conserve their tires in this sport?

|

1/18/2019 1:15 AM

As sad as it may sound, I find tyres really interesting. And I like to look at worn tyres both on road and off.
Once I was at WSB, in the blazing summer heat, James Toseland had done around four laps and high sided in front of me. The marshals pushed off his CBR1000RR right over to where we were standing, his rear tyre was blue/purple in colour and was as so soft I l left a thumb print in it!

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

1/18/2019 1:57 AM

ML512 wrote:

langhammx wrote:

That can’t be... I read that the MX33 tires had no grip and weren’t as good as the Mx3S that they replaced ! Why would these pro racers pick such a terrible tire ??

Surely you’re not that ignorant to tyre construction

|

1/18/2019 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 8:23 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Definitely true! I remember 2005 at Las Vegas supercross they were talking about how Reed got such good traction around thunder alley on that YZ250. It was because factory guys get special rubber compounds that only last about 20 laps so it can grip hard pack really well. They had a comparison picture I believe between a production tire that was run all day and the factory compound style that was only ran for the Main Event: The factory tire looked like it was run for about a year. The production tire looked barely used.

|

I'm just here to stir sh#t up...

1/18/2019 8:01 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

nrosso391 wrote:

Definitely true! I remember 2005 at Las Vegas supercross they were talking about how Reed got such good traction around thunder alley on that YZ250. It was because factory guys get special rubber compounds that only last about 20 laps so it can grip hard pack really well. They had a comparison picture I believe between a production tire that was run all day and the factory compound style that was only ran for the Main Event: The factory tire looked like it was run for about a year. The production tire looked barely used.

Guess you didn’t read the part above about construction versus compound from someone who would know

|

1/18/2019 8:07 AM

500guy wrote:

YOU REALLY cant run off the rack tires in sx because of the side wall load

|

1/18/2019 8:09 AM

Motodave15 wrote:

Phillip_Lamb wrote:

do you mean supporting pro level teams? if so yes, i agree its not quite the same with everyone running same tire. wouldnt be surprised to see dunlop become a spec brand in the coming years

Spec tires were a great hit in the AMA flat track series. So good that they took the same mold they’ve been using for years and made the tires double the price. Worked so well that rider numbers declined drastically

|

1/18/2019 8:14 AM

500guy wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

Dunlop could make a SX33 available to the public. Spec production tire in 250 class would go a long way toward seperatibg it from the premier class and evening the field between factories and everyone else.

|

1/18/2019 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 8:16 AM

Interesting how the wave shifts. Fifteen years ago it was all about Bridgestones. The 403/404 is still one of my favorite combos of all time.

|

1/18/2019 8:40 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

Then what do the 60+ privateers have on their bike every weekend or on practice days???

|

1/18/2019 8:46 AM

How much force is put on the rear tire knobs with the new starting gate and with a moose or tube how soft did they run them? Asking for a friend.

|

1/18/2019 8:48 AM

If factory Kawasaki hasn’t dialed in a tire for conditions by now they have big problems. They should be able to check conditions and have multiple tires for those conditions racked and ready that have been tested and proven to finish a race. WTF are we talking about?

|

1/18/2019 9:22 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

PRM31 wrote:

It should still be working well at the end of the main though.

Noooooo, have you seen a tire that has been destroyed on hard packed? Knobbies are broken off
typically closer to bottom of tire, if any left at all. Unbalanced as hell, no feeling, poor traction.

Takes about 10min to destroy most of it, and it does not work well ?

|