Tomac riding over his head at the Wick?

Ericrob7
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2018 6:28am
That 2nd moto he had almost 12 seconds on Musquin, I don't know if he got too confident or if he was pushing way too hard...after that crash it was all downhill with that bent up clutch lever. What do you guys think?
|
logan_140
7/1/2018 5:50am
Ericrob7 wrote:
That 2nd moto he had almost 12 seconds on Musquin, I don't know if he got too confident or if he was pushing way too hard...after...
That 2nd moto he had almost 12 seconds on Musquin, I don't know if he got too confident or if he was pushing way too hard...after that crash it was all downhill with that bent up clutch lever. What do you guys think?
He said he may have tapped the front brake over a breaking bump and just got tossed over the bars. Track was treacherous..
Mx286
7/1/2018 5:54am
It’s a sand track, they can reach up and bite you a lot easier.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 6:19am
Ericrob7 wrote:
That 2nd moto he had almost 12 seconds on Musquin, I don't know if he got too confident or if he was pushing way too hard...after...
logan_140 wrote:
He said he may have tapped the front brake over a breaking bump and just got tossed over the bars. Track was treacherous..
That was a gnarly get off. But he lost zero points, and thankfully didn't get hurt.
51xc
7/1/2018 6:36am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 6:43am
was marvin riding over his head to hang with tomac in moto 1 to then overjump and crash? maybe...they are humans and mistakes happen.

The Shop

WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
7/1/2018 6:47am
51xc wrote:
was marvin riding over his head to hang with tomac in moto 1 to then overjump and crash? maybe...they are humans and mistakes happen.
X2
Ted722
7/1/2018 6:59am
Two amazing rides by two of the best riders in the world. Marvin appeared to make less mistakes (in both motos), but we're only going by what we saw on TV. No doubt, at the pace they were pushing each other, there were plenty of "moments" off camera during the motos. What a race!

Tomac riding over his head? At times, yes. Marvin riding over his head? At times, yes. Awesome they have the fitness to recover from those mistakes. I can't imagine going that pace for 35 minutes plus...twice.
Indy mxer
7/1/2018 7:39am
No doubt ET was on it. His fastest lap time was 2:12!! ( I think it was 4 seconds faster than the next rider)

MM knew he didn't have the speed to stay with him and admitted it. But he rode smart.
I guess Eli just can't back off the way Dungey used to. He's still learning how to do that.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 7:46am
Indy mxer wrote:
No doubt ET was on it. His fastest lap time was 2:12!! ( I think it was 4 seconds faster than the next rider) MM knew...
No doubt ET was on it. His fastest lap time was 2:12!! ( I think it was 4 seconds faster than the next rider)

MM knew he didn't have the speed to stay with him and admitted it. But he rode smart.
I guess Eli just can't back off the way Dungey used to. He's still learning how to do that.
I agree, that 2:12 lap time was crazy! Musquin was at 2:16, and then thats when Eli dumped it. After the 1st crash he put almost 7 seconds on Musquin, then went down again. But no points lost, it was some good racing.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 7:48am
51xc wrote:
Marvin was impressive that 1st moto, did a great job of blocking Tomac's lines. The pass the ET3 put on Marv on the outside was incredible.
BR8ES
7/1/2018 7:49am
Shit happens, he had no choice to ride the way he was or Marv woulda been gone.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 8:14am
BR8ES wrote:
Musquin would've been gone? I don't think so, Tomac was putting in 2:12 lap times...4 seconds faster than Marv. I think that Eli had 12 seconds on him before he crashed.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 8:15am
You can always count on Tomac taking a digger a few motors each year
"Taking a digger" LOL
BR8ES
7/1/2018 8:19am
BR8ES wrote:
Ericrob7 wrote:
Musquin would've been gone? I don't think so, Tomac was putting in 2:12 lap times...4 seconds faster than Marv. I think that Eli had 12 seconds...
Musquin would've been gone? I don't think so, Tomac was putting in 2:12 lap times...4 seconds faster than Marv. I think that Eli had 12 seconds on him before he crashed.
If he was riding over his head as you propose, then yes, I think so.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/1/2018 8:31am
Eli said in the post race interview "he didn't think he was riding over his head". These guys have been riding and racing since they were 3. They know when they are pushing their limits. If they have to ask themselves the question if they were pushing too hard, then they weren't pushing too hard. I think with the first one, he just made a mistake as he said - accidentally grabbed the front brake. On the second one, the bike was a little jacked up from the first one and may have led to the second one. Stuff happens. As others have said, he was 4 seconds a lap faster on his fastest lap, that's insane. To me, it looked like he was pushing harder in the first moto than the second - both him and Marv.
hamncheeze
7/1/2018 9:23am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 9:23am
I agree I think both guys were pushing it super hard in Moto 1. I was expecting a crash from Tomac just because of the amount of sand he was eating. I mean, riding balls out with crap visibility from all the roost lap after lap. That was impressive to me.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 9:26am
TbonesPop wrote:
Eli said in the post race interview "he didn't think he was riding over his head". These guys have been riding and racing since they were...
Eli said in the post race interview "he didn't think he was riding over his head". These guys have been riding and racing since they were 3. They know when they are pushing their limits. If they have to ask themselves the question if they were pushing too hard, then they weren't pushing too hard. I think with the first one, he just made a mistake as he said - accidentally grabbed the front brake. On the second one, the bike was a little jacked up from the first one and may have led to the second one. Stuff happens. As others have said, he was 4 seconds a lap faster on his fastest lap, that's insane. To me, it looked like he was pushing harder in the first moto than the second - both him and Marv.
I will have to watch the post race press conference. Crash was a hard get off, lucky he didn't mess his shoulder up. Marv was feeding roost to Tomac that entire 1st moto.
Ericrob7
7/1/2018 9:27am
hamncheeze wrote:
I agree I think both guys were pushing it super hard in Moto 1. I was expecting a crash from Tomac just because of the amount...
I agree I think both guys were pushing it super hard in Moto 1. I was expecting a crash from Tomac just because of the amount of sand he was eating. I mean, riding balls out with crap visibility from all the roost lap after lap. That was impressive to me.
Man was he getting roosted that first moto. Then that pass on Marv on the outside was gnarly
Digger29
7/1/2018 10:58am
51xc wrote:
I was standing right there on the track when Marvin crashed and the approach to that jump was rough and rutted as F and he had a really smooth line on the very left edge of the jump and there was always that chance of landing off of the track if you didn't move the bike a little in the air and that lap he jumped out a bit too far and wasn't able to body it back and land off of the track in soft dirt and was ejected almost a immediately.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
7/1/2018 11:36am
I dont know how he can finish 2 with a clutch lever like that.
dimetime
7/1/2018 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 1:13pm
Clearly he was riding over his head. Sheesh. You don't generslly crash twice in a moto when riding within your limits.

And to all the guys gargling Eli's nuts about his 2.12 lap times, uhhhh what that get him? A second place? Wow. So it's fucking meaningless. if you can't finish the race, it don't matter one wit how fucking fast you go for three laps.

Eli plays Russian roulette virtually every time he rides.
bd
7/1/2018 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 1:23pm
What do I think? This thread is part of a long history of threads that is unnecessary and fucking ridiculous. Eli Tomac is one of the best motocross riders in the world. Pro riders usually ride on their edge while racing. Riders crash — from beginner to pro. It’s part of the sport. Lastly, when other pro riders crash, were they riding over their head or is this just an Eli Tomac thing? The only two riders who were scruntized more were Stew and RC.
HusqFan3
7/1/2018 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 1:36pm
dimetime wrote:
Clearly he was riding over his head. Sheesh. You don't generslly crash twice in a moto when riding within your limits. And to all the guys...
Clearly he was riding over his head. Sheesh. You don't generslly crash twice in a moto when riding within your limits.

And to all the guys gargling Eli's nuts about his 2.12 lap times, uhhhh what that get him? A second place? Wow. So it's fucking meaningless. if you can't finish the race, it don't matter one wit how fucking fast you go for three laps.

What has his riding style gotten him? Not much other than a red plate and a big points lead half way though the season. Yes his aggressive style will inevitably lead to an occasional crash but the good clearly outweighs the bad. You say his fast lap times don’t matter yet even after crashing twice he still went 1&2 and didn’t relinquish any points on the day so I’d say they matter a little. #Perspective
joshflo
7/1/2018 1:47pm
dimetime wrote:
Clearly he was riding over his head. Sheesh. You don't generslly crash twice in a moto when riding within your limits. And to all the guys...

If he’s playing Russian roulette then the gun must be loaded with trophies and big checks. You sound dumb lol
hamncheeze
7/1/2018 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 1:49pm
bd wrote:
What do I think? This thread is part of a long history of threads that is unnecessary and fucking ridiculous. Eli Tomac is one of the...
What do I think? This thread is part of a long history of threads that is unnecessary and fucking ridiculous. Eli Tomac is one of the best motocross riders in the world. Pro riders usually ride on their edge while racing. Riders crash — from beginner to pro. It’s part of the sport. Lastly, when other pro riders crash, were they riding over their head or is this just an Eli Tomac thing? The only two riders who were scruntized more were Stew and RC.
I agree. Ever since that 5 moto run and it's vicious ending in 2015, Eli is put under the microscope at every outcome. The speed and dominance he had in that brief run set him up to be a guy who has to dominate every time he's on the track to satisfy the haters. And if he crashes, or has an off day well then that's just Eli being Eli. Plus his passing on MXoN last year really seems to have built up a negative fan base on here.

When Musquin goes 4-4 and looks pretty average at Lakewood no one is all over him. Or when he flies off the track chasing Tomac at Southwick last year, he almost gets credit for "trying to hang with Eli" and "sending it'. I could go on and on, but honestly it's pointless.
7/1/2018 2:00pm
dimetime wrote:

I want whatever you're smoking. Second place means he keeps his 32 point lead, I'd hardly say that's meaningless.
7/1/2018 2:02pm
Marvin is the one who was riding over his head when he crashed trying to hang in the first moto. Tomac was alone out front and made a couple small mistakes that cost him the win. Just another of those weird bad races where he still finished second.
joshflo
7/1/2018 2:03pm
bd wrote:
What do I think? This thread is part of a long history of threads that is unnecessary and fucking ridiculous. Eli Tomac is one of the...
hamncheeze wrote:
I agree. Ever since that 5 moto run and it's vicious ending in 2015, Eli is put under the microscope at every outcome. The speed and...
I agree. Ever since that 5 moto run and it's vicious ending in 2015, Eli is put under the microscope at every outcome. The speed and dominance he had in that brief run set him up to be a guy who has to dominate every time he's on the track to satisfy the haters. And if he crashes, or has an off day well then that's just Eli being Eli. Plus his passing on MXoN last year really seems to have built up a negative fan base on here.

When Musquin goes 4-4 and looks pretty average at Lakewood no one is all over him. Or when he flies off the track chasing Tomac at Southwick last year, he almost gets credit for "trying to hang with Eli" and "sending it'. I could go on and on, but honestly it's pointless.
I think most of the negativity has come since Vegas sx 2017. I’ve noticed a lot of it comes from ktm fanboys because he didn’t hand the title over to their god Ryan Dungey without a fight. Plus his budding rivalry with marvin. Obviously there’s people that just prefer other riders but imo it’s become a KTM vs tomac thing
Kawi15
7/1/2018 2:03pm
The short answer would be No. Eli said so himself after the race. I think some people try to read into things a bit too much. Its racing and crashes will happen. They happen to everybody.

Post a reply to: Tomac riding over his head at the Wick?

The Latest