Tomac asked why he gets up so slow from Crashes

DanDunes818
4/21/2018 7:06am

I seldom post any interviews on Vital, but MotoXAddicts' Chris Cooksey asked Eli Tomac a question I've seen asked on Vital a million times: "Why does Eli Tomac look like he's in slow motion when picking up his bike from a crash."

I thought I'd share the awkward interview.

Eli Tomac interview at Minneapolis SX >>>

|
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/21/2018 7:19am
Its still a mystery . . .
DanDunes818
4/21/2018 7:32am
burn1986 wrote:
Its still a mystery . . .
Agree, but we at least now know it's not a conscious decision. Like Cooksey, I thought it might have been a strategic thing he did because of heart rate or preventing more mistakes, but it seems like he didn't even know he did it. That was a surprise to me.

I like the one part of Eli's answer, though: "trust me; I'm here to win races, not there to lay on the ground."
make1go
4/21/2018 7:53am
how can it be obvious to everyone but him? is everyone on the team scared to say something?

its not like a booger hangin out your nose...

bs..
Johnny Depp
4/21/2018 8:03am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2018 8:04am
It's not something you can discuss openly, when you are seeing black with stars. It's takes a minute or so to clear up. Dr. Depp's opinion only. Been there. And I don't tell my wife or friends about it either. Just you Vitard's that I can trust not to tell her.

The Shop

Drtbykr
4/21/2018 8:04am
Some times I’m sure he doesn’t feel great.

The mysterious times, I think he is making a silent protest for a magic button.
Hot stalled factory 4 banger can be hard work to fire up again.
Crush
4/21/2018 8:15am
It's like someone needs to show him a compilation of him getting up and his competitors getting up and the effort put forth after also.

I know it's easy to say, hard to do, but he'd likely have a couple more titles if he got this sorted...
KMC440
4/21/2018 8:19am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2018 8:21am
Inventory folks ... takes a second or 6 to get the official reports(in triplicate) from the trillions of "sensors" placed around the body. I've known plenty of friends that don't remember finishing races they wadded it up in.

In summary ... if it ain't you racin STFU.

Crush, I get your reply but ... everybody's different and if it's my body I couldn't care less about a title when I'm picking myself up.
Betuel
4/21/2018 8:31am
Crush wrote:
It's like someone needs to show him a compilation of him getting up and his competitors getting up and the effort put forth after also. I...
It's like someone needs to show him a compilation of him getting up and his competitors getting up and the effort put forth after also.

I know it's easy to say, hard to do, but he'd likely have a couple more titles if he got this sorted...
Yup, this. Someone needs to give a compilation to the Kawi guys to run in the semi while he is lounging around or changing, etc...
Barrzy256
4/21/2018 8:32am
KMC440 wrote:
Inventory folks ... takes a second or 6 to get the official reports(in triplicate) from the trillions of "sensors" placed around the body. I've known plenty...
Inventory folks ... takes a second or 6 to get the official reports(in triplicate) from the trillions of "sensors" placed around the body. I've known plenty of friends that don't remember finishing races they wadded it up in.

Crush, I get your reply but ... everybody's different and if it's my body I couldn't care less about a title when I'm picking myself up.
Yawn
Crush
4/21/2018 8:33am
KMC440 wrote:
Inventory folks ... takes a second or 6 to get the official reports(in triplicate) from the trillions of "sensors" placed around the body. I've known plenty...

That seems counter-intuitive to the rest of the risk he's placing himself in then doesn't?
make1go
4/21/2018 8:33am
KMC440 wrote:

ive raced on and off for over 12 years, no matter what im racing for, im getting up, out of the way and going asap.

mind over matter,

but maybe you never won anything? (if we are throwing shit around)
gabrielito
4/21/2018 8:42am
To me it seems like a lot of guys get up fast because they are so startled from the crash. Eli is so even keel that he gets up at a normal pace. Somebody should fund a study on whether rushing to get up is actually helpful because I have my doubts. In my opinion it is always better to keep calm in stressful situations and do things well rather than fast. You know the whole haste makes waste thing.
matze
Fantasy
3072nd
4/21/2018 9:12am
gabrielito wrote:
To me it seems like a lot of guys get up fast because they are so startled from the crash. Eli is so even keel that...
To me it seems like a lot of guys get up fast because they are so startled from the crash. Eli is so even keel that he gets up at a normal pace. Somebody should fund a study on whether rushing to get up is actually helpful because I have my doubts. In my opinion it is always better to keep calm in stressful situations and do things well rather than fast. You know the whole haste makes waste thing.
Agree
Kawi15
4/21/2018 9:23am
It seems to me this whole deal is just exaggerated a bit. I think its a bit rude to put him on the spot and ask questions like that. It bad enough to think it. If he is slow, well let him be slow and atleast give him the benefit of the doubt. When he crashes nobody knows what is going on with him or his bike except Eli. Perhaps the only person who ought to be able to confront him about such things would be his trainer or the people who are paying him. Everybody else should just keep their comparing and degrading thoughts to themselves.
4/21/2018 10:36am
Kawi15 wrote:
It seems to me this whole deal is just exaggerated a bit. I think its a bit rude to put him on the spot and ask...
It seems to me this whole deal is just exaggerated a bit. I think its a bit rude to put him on the spot and ask questions like that. It bad enough to think it. If he is slow, well let him be slow and atleast give him the benefit of the doubt. When he crashes nobody knows what is going on with him or his bike except Eli. Perhaps the only person who ought to be able to confront him about such things would be his trainer or the people who are paying him. Everybody else should just keep their comparing and degrading thoughts to themselves.
To be honest I think he answered the question pretty well anyway first time around. When he crashes he overthinks the situation, whereas most will get on the bike as quickly as possible and disregard everything else in a semi-panicked state, Eli thinks about stuff like other riders hitting him, maybe whether he is hurting, if his bike is jacked up etc.. who knows excatly but I know what he means.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
4/21/2018 10:44am
You never know if he got up from a crash when he was younger and immediately went down again, and spooked him to this day. If taking his time prevents him from getting injured, then so be it. If it costs him championships, well... then that's better than being in a wheelchair. Just saying..
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/21/2018 10:56am
You never know if he got up from a crash when he was younger and immediately went down again, and spooked him to this day. If...
You never know if he got up from a crash when he was younger and immediately went down again, and spooked him to this day. If taking his time prevents him from getting injured, then so be it. If it costs him championships, well... then that's better than being in a wheelchair. Just saying..
This.

He did say that he might think about it a bit too much and mentioned something about not wanting to get landed on or something like that, which to me is totally understandable. Get back on the bike as quick as possible and chance getting hit or landed on, or stay calm and get to the bike as quick but also as safely as possible? I'm going with the second option. I know a lot of us our first reaction is to get back on the bike and take off right away, but sometimes that's not the best decision.

It's easy to look at it from the outside in and say he should do this or that, but we aren't Eli or any of the other guys so we don't know what's going through their heads.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/21/2018 11:01am
You never know if he got up from a crash when he was younger and immediately went down again, and spooked him to this day. If...
WOW, you don't speculate much do you.LaughingLaughingLaughing
KMC440
4/21/2018 11:09am
KMC440 wrote:

Crush wrote:
That seems counter-intuitive to the rest of the risk he's placing himself in then doesn't?
I suppose the location on the track would dictate a lot of that. I've been landed on because a flager was in the absolutely wrong location looking the wrong way. So yeah I got the hell outta thrre.
ktmdan
4/21/2018 3:07pm
Hmmm this is awkward
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/21/2018 3:21pm
At least the interviewer asked the question everyone was wondering about.
kkawboy14
4/21/2018 4:13pm
The dude only in a rush when he’s on the bike!
4/21/2018 4:22pm
KMC440 wrote:

make1go wrote:
ive raced on and off for over 12 years, no matter what im racing for, im getting up, out of the way and going asap....
ive raced on and off for over 12 years, no matter what im racing for, im getting up, out of the way and going asap.

mind over matter,

but maybe you never won anything? (if we are throwing shit around)
12 years? STFU newb.
Drtbykr
4/21/2018 5:04pm
gabrielito wrote:
To me it seems like a lot of guys get up fast because they are so startled from the crash. Eli is so even keel that...
That’s a good point, saw it in the 250 lcq. Someone sends it, two riders come together.
The person who got up first and couldn’t “get his feet under him” just went from bad to worse and didn’t make the main.
I get it though, their heart rates are already maxed.

Maybe assessing is better in certain situations, but in SX you had better make the assessment quick.

Post a reply to: Tomac asked why he gets up so slow from Crashes

The Latest