Tomac and that Kawasaki

kkawboy14
8/25/2020 1:54pm
Please, give Tomac 3 extra clutch plates and double strong clutch springs for mud races......plus what Dave said!
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/25/2020 2:38pm
EngIceDave wrote:
In the future, for events that bad, I would seriously consider mounting a generator, pressure washer and a water tank on their war wagons and think...
In the future, for events that bad, I would seriously consider mounting a generator, pressure washer and a water tank on their war wagons and think about quick “pit stops” to quickly blow as much mud out of radiators as possible and swap goggles. (10 seconds?)

That may get you that extra needed lap or two
Rider can see and chose lines better, so go faster and avoid death traps

Might be worth it for teams to consider
Look at Dave with the good ideas. Smile

The ten second pit stop will more than pay off with better lap times and reliability.
Skuzzy29
8/25/2020 3:13pm
EngIceDave wrote:
In the future, for events that bad, I would seriously consider mounting a generator, pressure washer and a water tank on their war wagons and think...
In the future, for events that bad, I would seriously consider mounting a generator, pressure washer and a water tank on their war wagons and think about quick “pit stops” to quickly blow as much mud out of radiators as possible and swap goggles. (10 seconds?)

Maybe check out Pit Bits!

The GEICO Honda guys did everything they could to try and keep their bikes cool during the motos, including using a fire extinguisher to spray the radiators when their guys would come in for new goggles.
Brent
8/25/2020 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2020 3:17pm
EngIceDave wrote:

No generator or water supply needed, I use this thing at the track before I put my bike back in the van.

5 gallon water tank and 40 A battery, from Home Depot.

The Shop

just James
8/25/2020 4:21pm
EngIceDave wrote:

Doesn't need to be that elaborate. Just one of the old water filled fire extinguishers. The kind with a Schrader valve to charge it with air.
just James
8/25/2020 4:22pm
EngIceDave wrote:

Skuzzy29 wrote:
Maybe check out Pit Bits! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/25/445732/s1200_Fire_Extiguisher.jpg[/img] The GEICO Honda guys did everything they could to try and keep their bikes cool during the motos, including using...

The GEICO Honda guys did everything they could to try and keep their bikes cool during the motos, including using a fire extinguisher to spray the radiators when their guys would come in for new goggles.
HA!
I didn't see that post before I made mine.
Gravel
8/26/2020 6:34am
Gravel wrote:
Air movement across the radiators can be managed differently.. duct cleaner air from above the gas tank with a fan pushing it to avoid mud clogging...
Air movement across the radiators can be managed differently.. duct cleaner air from above the gas tank with a fan pushing it to avoid mud clogging the air flow? It’s a trivial engineering problem to solve, but the moto world will probably just keep doing the same thing they’ve always done, and keep blowing bikes at every mud race..
Momus wrote:
It's a non trivial, extremely difficult problem to solve removing pounds of sticky, adherent often drying and hard clay, from a moving motorcycle. The rotating knobby...
It's a non trivial, extremely difficult problem to solve removing pounds of sticky, adherent often drying and hard clay, from a moving motorcycle.

The rotating knobby tyres only do it if they are spinning past a certain speed; the louvres are natural traps.
If a couple of good engineers were shown the problem of overheating bikes due to mud accumulation and told to solve it with the direction that the solution had to be light, robust and couldn’t interfere with the rider, you’d have several notional solutions in a day. In a week they’d have working prototypes and another week later you’d be testing and deciding which solution was best. Real R&D accomplishments happen like that all the time, it just takes money and motivation to actually solve the problem. In this situation, nobody cares enough to try, and that’s totally ok, the OEMs and the aftermarket accept the current design as good enough. And the current design is good enough, until the rain falls. My point is that this happens a few times every year and nobody has made a real effort to improve mud performance.

The idea that it’s insurmountable is just wrong.
Gravel
8/26/2020 6:36am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 6:39am
Maybe mud accumulation isn’t the real problem, maybe the solution is to manage airflow differently so that mud doesn’t immediately block it?

It’d look different, and that’s probably one of the bigger challenges at the OEM level.
8/27/2020 2:05pm
EngIceDave wrote:

This is what i was thinking too. But i think Eli ruined his bike with jammed in mud Into the radiator on the first fall. Mid race once the crew realises, the mud will be dry and hard to remove. More thinking needed I suggest
tek14
8/27/2020 2:13pm
Latest testing photos he was using forks without stickers that looked more Showa than KYB? (video from mx action)
He been KYB while teammates been on showa before?
8/27/2020 3:29pm
tek14 wrote:
Latest testing photos he was using forks without stickers that looked more Showa than KYB? (video from mx action) He been KYB while teammates been on...
Latest testing photos he was using forks without stickers that looked more Showa than KYB? (video from mx action)
He been KYB while teammates been on showa before?
This is from the video MXA posted yesterday. One of the fork stickers is just facing inward instead of outward.

gregyou
8/27/2020 5:40pm
PRM31 wrote:
No idea if Eli was trying to save his bike. My question about his technique is why use the clutch ALL the time? He seems to...
No idea if Eli was trying to save his bike. My question about his technique is why use the clutch ALL the time? He seems to have substituted the throttle with the clutch. Every race where some mud impacts the cooling his bike is very hot, or in this case, fails. A clutch is simply not designed for that. There was an interview with his mechanic, last year I think, and he laughed and said Eli’s clutch is replaced after every ride. And he was referring to SX, and very short qualifiers. Clearly he has figured out how to go VERY fast so maybe that will become a thing. But I have to think these DNFs are partially on him. At some point you have to work with the conditions and current level of design and engineering. I’d like to hear what he says.

They need a roll-off screen for the radiator or a small hydraulic actuator on the existing radiator guard to provide a very sharp/quick pop to knock the mud off.
Questioning tomacs technique is ridiculous, how many races including mud races has he won? Now your suggesting he change his riding technique?
resetjet
8/27/2020 6:17pm
They need to research outdoor. They do 3 hour races in worse conditions. The clutch is the main thing. You just cant beat it up like that. Mud deflection is key. Devices that will collect the mud but deflect it when it gets to heavy. Special radiators should be on hand. Coolant collection tanks. Etc. gravel said it right, they either dont know or dont care.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
671st
8/27/2020 8:06pm
EngIceDave wrote:

That would be cool to take a pit stop approach and practice getting the bike “clean enough” within a few seconds to make a meaningful difference. Maybe whole helmet and goggle change at the same time. Ridiculous but cool and just maybe meaningful
ctbale
8/27/2020 11:45pm
kpiper wrote:
It is a Karma thing. My equipment could kill me if it failed badly...so I prefer to treat it with respect. My bike the same. But...
It is a Karma thing. My equipment could kill me if it failed badly...so I prefer to treat it with respect. My bike the same.

But yes, Kawasaki should be embarrassed to say the least.
jemcee wrote:
It's not so much about the bike for me it's about the mechanic.. He works bloody hard for a lot less money and yes it sucks...
It's not so much about the bike for me it's about the mechanic.. He works bloody hard for a lot less money and yes it sucks for you that it broke but to just dump it for someone else to pick up isn't a good look.. Especially when there were people there to hold it up.. It seems he wanted to dump it to make a point and that's lame if you ask me
Well said. Who ever down voted this are ignerant
Momus
8/28/2020 1:11am
kpiper wrote:
It is a Karma thing. My equipment could kill me if it failed badly...so I prefer to treat it with respect. My bike the same. But...
It is a Karma thing. My equipment could kill me if it failed badly...so I prefer to treat it with respect. My bike the same.

But yes, Kawasaki should be embarrassed to say the least.
jemcee wrote:
It's not so much about the bike for me it's about the mechanic.. He works bloody hard for a lot less money and yes it sucks...
It's not so much about the bike for me it's about the mechanic.. He works bloody hard for a lot less money and yes it sucks for you that it broke but to just dump it for someone else to pick up isn't a good look.. Especially when there were people there to hold it up.. It seems he wanted to dump it to make a point and that's lame if you ask me
ctbale wrote:
Lol. It's 'ignorant'.

Point is Tomac is a highly paid world champion being let down by his team.

At some point his patience and diplomacy have to run out with their substandard bike design and preparation.

He sent a message all the way to the top with that drop.
motomike137
8/28/2020 5:10am
EngIceDave wrote:

Skuzzy29 wrote:
Maybe check out Pit Bits! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/25/445732/s1200_Fire_Extiguisher.jpg[/img] The GEICO Honda guys did everything they could to try and keep their bikes cool during the motos, including using...

I doubt that thing has enough oomph to really clean the rads out especially in 15 seconds.
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1588th
8/28/2020 10:41am
jemcee wrote:
ctbale wrote:
Momus wrote:
Lol. It's 'ignorant'. Point is Tomac is a highly paid world champion being let down by his team. At some point his patience and diplomacy have...
Lol. It's 'ignorant'.

At some point his patience and diplomacy have to run out with their substandard bike design and preparation.

What about the diplomacy and patience of Kawasaki during all the mistakes he made in the past specially during SX?

You could also said "Kawasaki is higly paying a rider just to be let down for a couple of years delivering a SX championship"

That bike has worked for him during the last 3 MX championships just for him to be droping it like that.

Kawasaki did not drop him after 3 failed SX championships did they?

Momus
8/28/2020 12:41pm
ctbale wrote:
Momus wrote:
Lol. It's 'ignorant'. Point is Tomac is a highly paid world champion being let down by his team. At some point his patience and diplomacy have...
Lol. It's 'ignorant'.

Pakoyz250f wrote:
What about the diplomacy and patience of Kawasaki during all the mistakes he made in the past specially during SX? You could also said "Kawasaki is...
What about the diplomacy and patience of Kawasaki during all the mistakes he made in the past specially during SX?

You could also said "Kawasaki is higly paying a rider just to be let down for a couple of years delivering a SX championship"

That bike has worked for him during the last 3 MX championships just for him to be droping it like that.

Dude.

Eli has ridden and finished every SX round, bar one in the last 4 years.

He has an outstanding record as a rider from an employers point of view.

Many times he has nursed- by backing off and giving up speed and position- an ailing bike to victory or a podium or good finish.

If Kawasaki USA provided him with a bike that was as good as his outsized talent there would be no argument, instead he gets a machine that has chronic problems that good amateurs could fix.
kkawboy14
8/28/2020 1:10pm
Momus wrote:
Lol. It's 'ignorant'.

Pakoyz250f wrote:
What about the diplomacy and patience of Kawasaki during all the mistakes he made in the past specially during SX? You could also said "Kawasaki is...

Momus wrote:
Dude. Eli has ridden and finished every SX round, bar one in the last 4 years. He has an outstanding record as a rider from an...
Dude.

Many times he has nursed- by backing off and giving up speed and position- an ailing bike to victory or a podium or good finish.

If Kawasaki USA provided him with a bike that was as good as his outsized talent there would be no argument, instead he gets a machine that has chronic problems that good amateurs could fix.
I wish I could ride a 450 as hard as that guy can!
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1588th
8/28/2020 3:26pm
Momus wrote:
Dude. Eli has ridden and finished every SX round, bar one in the last 4 years. He has an outstanding record as a rider from an...
Dude.

Dude

Your last paragraph.... Wow just wow.

Won´t argue anymore, keep thinking like that.
OLDMOTO
8/29/2020 2:54pm
I guess its all over for Tomac now. I read on Vital that Osborne has it in the bag and that even though he's won four championships on it, Tomac's bike blows up at every other race. Even though he went from -40 points to -27 points in one race he might as well throw his bike in the dumpster and drive his ass back to Colorado.
8/29/2020 3:07pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I guess its all over for Tomac now. I read on Vital that Osborne has it in the bag and that even though he's won four...
I guess its all over for Tomac now. I read on Vital that Osborne has it in the bag and that even though he's won four championships on it, Tomac's bike blows up at every other race. Even though he went from -40 points to -27 points in one race he might as well throw his bike in the dumpster and drive his ass back to Colorado.
Tomac's rebound is a testament to HIM, and his incredible talent, not the bike. He could smoke the field kickstarting an H.E.P.

The Kawi is not the best bike out there, by any stretch. But Eli is the best rider, and that's why he can make some mighty good lemonade from that neon green lemon.
kkawboy14
8/29/2020 3:22pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I guess its all over for Tomac now. I read on Vital that Osborne has it in the bag and that even though he's won four...
Tomac's rebound is a testament to HIM, and his incredible talent, not the bike. He could smoke the field kickstarting an H.E.P. The Kawi is not...
Tomac's rebound is a testament to HIM, and his incredible talent, not the bike. He could smoke the field kickstarting an H.E.P.

The Kawi is not the best bike out there, by any stretch. But Eli is the best rider, and that's why he can make some mighty good lemonade from that neon green lemon.
Man I bleed green but I was nervous that his bike wasn’t gonna finish that last moto.

That bike needs a quart more oil in it, a jumbo radiator that holds an extra gallon of Engine Ice, 3 extra clutch plates and clutch springs off of a dragster!
8/29/2020 3:35pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Tomac's rebound is a testament to HIM, and his incredible talent, not the bike. He could smoke the field kickstarting an H.E.P. The Kawi is not...

kkawboy14 wrote:
Man I bleed green but I was nervous that his bike wasn’t gonna finish that last moto. That bike needs a quart more oil in it...
Man I bleed green but I was nervous that his bike wasn’t gonna finish that last moto.

That bike needs a quart more oil in it, a jumbo radiator that holds an extra gallon of Engine Ice, 3 extra clutch plates and clutch springs off of a dragster!
I'll never forget how the stalling, smoking Kawi 450 basically destroyed Joey Savagty's market share, let's put it that way.
8/29/2020 4:10pm

kkawboy14 wrote:
Man I bleed green but I was nervous that his bike wasn’t gonna finish that last moto. That bike needs a quart more oil in it...

I'll never forget how the stalling, smoking Kawi 450 basically destroyed Joey Savagty's market share, let's put it that way.
I thought it was the championship choking and injuries that did that.
8/29/2020 4:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

I mean, that thing literally would be smoked out on the side of the track every other race, with Savagty going from 4th to DNF. It was absurd.
face biter
8/29/2020 4:47pm
I think they just need to develop something to give him a visual cue as to how much wear he is putting on the clutch. With an adjustor on the lever perch of a conventional clutch you can tell how hard you’re using it and it’ll help you decide when to knock it off a bit, unfortunately you don’t get that kind of a heads up with a hydraulic one.
that was a great win today!
280driver
8/29/2020 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2020 5:10pm
I mean, that thing literally would be smoked out on the side of the track every other race, with Savagty going from 4th to DNF. It...
I mean, that thing literally would be smoked out on the side of the track every other race, with Savagty going from 4th to DNF. It was absurd.
That is simply not true. His DNFs on the Kawi where due to his wrecks that damaged the bike (snapped foot pegs, bent radiators etc.). He destroyed his market share himself IMO by how he handled the situation.
8/29/2020 5:13pm
I mean, that thing literally would be smoked out on the side of the track every other race, with Savagty going from 4th to DNF. It...
280driver wrote:
That is simply not true. His DNFs on the Kawi where due to his wrecks that damaged the bike (snapped foot pegs, bent radiators etc.). He...
That is simply not true. His DNFs on the Kawi where due to his wrecks that damaged the bike (snapped foot pegs, bent radiators etc.). He destroyed his market share himself IMO by how he handled the situation.
I beg you to rewatch the races. Savagty was fine. Either the bike, or the mechanic, was a total POS.

Post a reply to: Tomac and that Kawasaki

The Latest