Tomac and Kawasaki Bike pulp MX

WOW need to listen to pulp show sounds like over there at Kawasaki Tomac couldn’t try anything , So happy for him to be happy and I’m sure that Cable Clutch is Good for him also on the Yamaha.
|
hubbardmx50
3/9/2022 10:19pm
That was interesting for sure and it was cool to hear what John Tomac had to say about everything. I think it's well known by now that KHI gives you a bike and you have to figure out how to ride it. Unlike the private teams. Even guys like Josh Grant, Hahn and Weimer have said the same thing about Kawi. I also had no idea that Tomac helped develop the frame on the 2017 CRF450 and didn't get to race it because of production rule, which totally sucks. I bet he would've loved the 17-20 generation CRF. Looks like Honda missed out by letting him go.
bens152
3/9/2022 10:33pm
Love how transparent John was. We kind of know the gist of it and the hear say, or how delicately the media dance around specifics. So was cool to hear straight from the man.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/9/2022 10:47pm
it was a very open interview, the story John told about Shimano was very telling as well, with the Japanese mentality on failure not being an option,

it seems Yamaha in house has the same issues, with out the success to keep it out,

its amazing how some riders are really good in that set up, like Anderson this year, (and even Adam when he stays up) yet the last few years of the Yamaha factory team were not that good for any rider,
3/10/2022 12:17am
Great interview. Worth listening to if only to hear John Tomac's best Japanese accent!

The Shop

3/10/2022 2:08am
That was interesting for sure and it was cool to hear what John Tomac had to say about everything. I think it's well known by now...
That was interesting for sure and it was cool to hear what John Tomac had to say about everything. I think it's well known by now that KHI gives you a bike and you have to figure out how to ride it. Unlike the private teams. Even guys like Josh Grant, Hahn and Weimer have said the same thing about Kawi. I also had no idea that Tomac helped develop the frame on the 2017 CRF450 and didn't get to race it because of production rule, which totally sucks. I bet he would've loved the 17-20 generation CRF. Looks like Honda missed out by letting him go.
Hey mate/buddy, I really do agree with your sentiments however I'm not sure Honda "let him go". On the "Whiskey Throttle Show" he (Eli) made it pretty clear on the motivation for his move from Honda. It's also worth a mention that this episode and the ones featuring CR22 (Chad Reed) are a great insight into the 2013+ generation red bikes. Anyhow, stoked to see the №3 loosen off smiles and the "right" wrist.
Crush
3/10/2022 3:14am
Pretty funny after Anton basically did a PR pod with Sternjstrom on SML this week.
3/10/2022 3:23am
It really got me thinking about the entire "conservatism" theory across many of these areas. Look at helmets, all these new companies are progressing forward with designs while Arai (one of two made in Japan helmet companies) continues to stay true to their original ways on building a helmet. I'm not saying this is bad, but its a part of their culture, it seems. If its a trickle down thing from the big wigs in Japan, it sounds like the deal with Kawasaki is a lot the same. Stick close to what has worked over the years. Its an interesting strategy to me.
Indy mxer
3/10/2022 4:17am
Kawasaki must be doing something right. They sure do win a lot.
How many outdoor races did ET dominate on that bike? And JA is riding as well as I've seen him ride. Anyone remember RV on his Kawi?

All that said, it sounds like they could be a bit more fexible.

But I'm sure some of the other OEM's would love to have all the wins and titles Kawi has.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
3/10/2022 5:15am
Great interview. Worth listening to if only to hear John Tomac's best Japanese accent!
Ahhh, 90% wide open, entire lap
rhargrave431
3/10/2022 6:07am
That was one of the better interviews on the pulp show in recent history. Remember Chad said he tried signing Eli as well, but Honda wouldn't give him a bike for him and that he'd have to pay for it, even though they gave Gieco a bike for Eli to rife.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
3/10/2022 7:17am
It seems that all the corporate teams are like that. So afraid to change something even though these are the very people that are developing the bikes.
BigBoreFan58
3/10/2022 8:32am
One example of where the Japanese are conservative is too look at KTM's bike lineup vs a Japanese companies lineup. Look at the entire line, not just MX bikes. KTM has a lot of niche bikes, that sell very well.

I've been on KTM's since 2006. Mostly because KTM makes models I want to buy, where as the Japanese do not.

The Japanese are moving forward, but very slowly.

kb228
3/10/2022 8:41am
Maybe pro circuit and monster should field 450 guys and run a team like star yamaha does so the riders can do what they want
3/10/2022 9:09am
kb228 wrote:
Maybe pro circuit and monster should field 450 guys and run a team like star yamaha does so the riders can do what they want
Man, Pro Circuit is having enough trouble fielding even a few healthy 250 guys.
3/10/2022 9:14am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2022 9:15am
WOW need to listen to pulp show sounds like over there at Kawasaki Tomac couldn’t try anything , So happy for him to be happy and...
WOW need to listen to pulp show sounds like over there at Kawasaki Tomac couldn’t try anything , So happy for him to be happy and I’m sure that Cable Clutch is Good for him also on the Yamaha.
RV said the same thing on the last Pulp he was on.
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1740th
3/10/2022 10:47am
It's not like Kawasaki would not let him try ANYTHING. The team was a full Showa team, let Eli bring in KYB and use it for his full tenure there. Now they are back full Showa, though interestingly Febvre and Watson are running Showa/KYB in MXGP this year.

Obviously behind the closed doors the relationship with Kawasaki and the Tomac camp seemed a bit strained from early on. As John said, they forced Gilmour out early when in reality the struggle was more that in 2016 Eli was still building up strength from his shoulder surgeries in 2015. Then there was the very quick and quiet "retirement" of Williamson, which was for sure something more than just him wanting to stop travel.

As for RV, I think much like RC he was able to take a bike and accept its shortcomings and ride around them. Even if Kawasaki was "rigid" with the bike, RV could just figure out how to win on it. He's also said many times on Pulp and Whiskey Throttle that there is no perfect bike, it's about minimizing the downsides and maximizing the upsides. Eli, for all his career seems to be a bit like Chad, always searching for perfect. Which is great, a rider and team have to always be working to move the package forward, but there is a fine line between progression and obsession.
aees
3/10/2022 11:30am
It's not like Kawasaki would not let him try ANYTHING. The team was a full Showa team, let Eli bring in KYB and use it for...
It's not like Kawasaki would not let him try ANYTHING. The team was a full Showa team, let Eli bring in KYB and use it for his full tenure there. Now they are back full Showa, though interestingly Febvre and Watson are running Showa/KYB in MXGP this year.

Obviously behind the closed doors the relationship with Kawasaki and the Tomac camp seemed a bit strained from early on. As John said, they forced Gilmour out early when in reality the struggle was more that in 2016 Eli was still building up strength from his shoulder surgeries in 2015. Then there was the very quick and quiet "retirement" of Williamson, which was for sure something more than just him wanting to stop travel.

As for RV, I think much like RC he was able to take a bike and accept its shortcomings and ride around them. Even if Kawasaki was "rigid" with the bike, RV could just figure out how to win on it. He's also said many times on Pulp and Whiskey Throttle that there is no perfect bike, it's about minimizing the downsides and maximizing the upsides. Eli, for all his career seems to be a bit like Chad, always searching for perfect. Which is great, a rider and team have to always be working to move the package forward, but there is a fine line between progression and obsession.
Or, RV riding style just suited the Kawi. Just as Anderson style does. AC, does not fit it that well and in my opinion why he keeps sliping the front end and crashing.

clarkgray432
Fantasy
4009th
3/10/2022 6:45pm
aees wrote:
Or, RV riding style just suited the Kawi. Just as Anderson style does. AC, does not fit it that well and in my opinion why he...
Or, RV riding style just suited the Kawi. Just as Anderson style does. AC, does not fit it that well and in my opinion why he keeps sliping the front end and crashing.

Yea it’s the kawi…
hubbardmx50
3/10/2022 7:01pm
That was interesting for sure and it was cool to hear what John Tomac had to say about everything. I think it's well known by now...
Hey mate/buddy, I really do agree with your sentiments however I'm not sure Honda "let him go". On the "Whiskey Throttle Show" he (Eli) made it...
Hey mate/buddy, I really do agree with your sentiments however I'm not sure Honda "let him go". On the "Whiskey Throttle Show" he (Eli) made it pretty clear on the motivation for his move from Honda. It's also worth a mention that this episode and the ones featuring CR22 (Chad Reed) are a great insight into the 2013+ generation red bikes. Anyhow, stoked to see the №3 loosen off smiles and the "right" wrist.
True. I definitely don't disagree with you. And obviously both generations of that Kawi worked for him so it's not like his time there was wasted by any means.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
3/10/2022 7:03pm
aees wrote:
Or, RV riding style just suited the Kawi. Just as Anderson style does. AC, does not fit it that well and in my opinion why he...

Yea it’s the kawi…
Only bike ride he’s ever been on so who are we to say.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
3/10/2022 7:36pm
One example of where the Japanese are conservative is too look at KTM's bike lineup vs a Japanese companies lineup. Look at the entire line, not...
One example of where the Japanese are conservative is too look at KTM's bike lineup vs a Japanese companies lineup. Look at the entire line, not just MX bikes. KTM has a lot of niche bikes, that sell very well.

I've been on KTM's since 2006. Mostly because KTM makes models I want to buy, where as the Japanese do not.

Yeah but af the same time KTM doesn’t offer a pit bike to compete with Honda and Kawasaki
Timo
3/10/2022 9:33pm
One example of where the Japanese are conservative is too look at KTM's bike lineup vs a Japanese companies lineup. Look at the entire line, not...

Other than a 350cc engine, what areas are the Japanese lacking in off-road bikes?
MelonFan123
3/10/2022 10:33pm

Timo wrote:
Other than a 350cc engine, what areas are the Japanese lacking in off-road bikes?
- 2-strokes
- A legitimate dual sport (except Honda)
3/11/2022 12:43am

Timo wrote:
Two stroke enduro bikes.
Two stroke MX bikes.
50cc mx bikes.
65cc MX bikes
M8
3/11/2022 2:27am

Timo wrote:
Two stroke enduro bikes.
Two stroke MX bikes.
50cc mx bikes.
65cc MX bikes
YZ250x & YZ125x
YZ250 & YZ125
Yes a 50cc race bike, but they have a 50cc four stroke
YZ65
But I will agree, if only they could give us an electric start YZ300x! Something to compete with the KTM300exc’s.
3/11/2022 4:10am
Timo wrote:
Two stroke enduro bikes.
Two stroke MX bikes.
50cc mx bikes.
65cc MX bikes
M8 wrote:
YZ250x & YZ125x YZ250 & YZ125 Yes a 50cc race bike, but they have a 50cc four stroke YZ65 But I will agree, if only they...
YZ250x & YZ125x
YZ250 & YZ125
YZ65
But I will agree, if only they could give us an electric start YZ300x! Something to compete with the KTM300exc’s.
So that covers Yamaha, what about if you want a Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki?
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
3/11/2022 8:21am
Indy mxer wrote:
Kawasaki must be doing something right. They sure do win a lot. How many outdoor races did ET dominate on that bike? And JA is riding...
Kawasaki must be doing something right. They sure do win a lot.
How many outdoor races did ET dominate on that bike? And JA is riding as well as I've seen him ride. Anyone remember RV on his Kawi?

All that said, it sounds like they could be a bit more fexible.

But I'm sure some of the other OEM's would love to have all the wins and titles Kawi has.
Agreed. Since ‘97 they went from Emig - RC - Stew - Villopoto - Tomac, all of which had championships and most had dominating seasons. There’s multiple 250 titles sprinkled in there with PC too, although I’m not sure how tight Kawis leash is on Pro Circuit
Timo
3/11/2022 8:43am
Two stroke enduro bikes.
Two stroke MX bikes.
50cc mx bikes.
65cc MX bikes
M8 wrote:
YZ250x & YZ125x YZ250 & YZ125 Yes a 50cc race bike, but they have a 50cc four stroke YZ65 But I will agree, if only they...
YZ250x & YZ125x
YZ250 & YZ125
YZ65
So that covers Yamaha, what about if you want a Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki?
Then you want a 4-stroke

Post a reply to: Tomac and Kawasaki Bike pulp MX

The Latest