Tomac - Were The 2 Points Worth The Risk?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2017 6:31 PM

And, if it weren't for those guys thinking they were being lapped and pulling over for him, he probably would've goose-egged the 2nd moto.

Why would they even risk sending him back out on THAT track without front brakes for what amounted to squawdoosh?

Sense it does not make.

|

5/28/2017 6:32 PM

Didn't MC lose an outdoor title by 1 or 2 points?

|

5/28/2017 6:33 PM

Let you know in three months.

|

5/28/2017 6:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2017 6:39 PM

Obviously, in hindsight they would probably agree with you.
I'm astonished they didn't put a new wheel and brake in. Would have taken a minute or two.
Either they didn't have the parts needed, or whoever is in charge of making heat of the moment decisions, need to rethink their position.
I'm sure there will be meetings to assess what happened.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

5/28/2017 6:40 PM

JB 19 wrote:

Let you know in three months.

lol, I know.

If it came down to 1 point it'll be considered a heroic ride. And nothing happened so...

It was nearly for absolutely nothing tho...

|

5/28/2017 6:43 PM

It's like their first reaction is to cut the damn brake line. You would think losing one championship over front brake failure would have led to a team being well versed in a quick swap. Letting a 450 loose on those hills with zero front brakes should have resulted in a black flag debate. Just my uneducated opinion though.

|

5/28/2017 6:52 PM

I'm sure he could ride OK with 1 brake.

They are upgrading next week. After all, this probably weighs less than that Works and Aftermarket stuff.

Photo

|

5/28/2017 6:58 PM

JB 19 wrote:

Let you know in three months.

This ^^^
Hardcore effort by Eli!

|

5/28/2017 7:08 PM

Dungey would have risked it....
That's why he has retired with multiple number 1 plates. Maybe Tomac learned a tough lesson this year......

|

5/28/2017 7:13 PM

JB 19 wrote:

Let you know in three months.

Hut wrote:

This ^^^
Hardcore effort by Eli!

Definitely!

|

5/28/2017 7:39 PM

Bring back drum brakes. wink

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

5/28/2017 8:23 PM

rancor19 wrote:

And, if it weren't for those guys thinking they were being lapped and pulling over for him, he probably would've goose-egged the 2nd moto.

Why would they even risk sending him back out on THAT track without front brakes for what amounted to squawdoosh?

Sense it does not make.

Eli pulled back on about 15+ seconds behind the lead pack, was pushing a little the first few laps and then backed way off the pace. Barcia pulled away from him.

|

Brapasaurus Rex

5/28/2017 8:26 PM

Honestly for him to be as fast as riders in the top 10 without a front brake is crazy, gotta give it to him for the effort.

|

5/28/2017 8:27 PM

Maybe Matthes was right. The mechanics these days only know how to do graphics & grips. When Eli pulled in, Mike Williamson & crew all looked at each other, then asked where their wheel sponsor is, so after scratching their heads & not knowing what to do, they cut the brake lines again laughing laughing laughing

|

5/28/2017 8:30 PM

Speedway racers don't have any brakes.

|

5/28/2017 9:22 PM

Since we are operating on hindsight in this thread, There was no risk Eli finished the moto.

|

5/28/2017 9:35 PM

Ozy wrote:

Eli pulled back on about 15+ seconds behind the lead pack, was pushing a little the first few laps and then backed way off the pace. Barcia pulled away from him.

One lap + 15 seconds?

|

5/28/2017 9:38 PM

DrinkMoreWater wrote:

Since we are operating on hindsight in this thread, There was no risk Eli finished the moto.

I wasn't really operating on hindsight. He was lapped and had no front brake.

What did they think he was gonna do?

|

5/28/2017 10:22 PM

Yes

|

5/28/2017 10:39 PM

GoonSquad250x wrote:

Maybe Matthes was right. The mechanics these days only know how to do graphics & grips. When Eli pulled in, Mike Williamson & crew all looked at each other, then asked where their wheel sponsor is, so after scratching their heads & not knowing what to do, they cut the brake lines again laughing laughing laughing

I agree and Team Kawasaki does not seem to be very good at their jobs. sad

|

Ed Johnson

5/28/2017 10:57 PM

Cutting the lines all seems very dramatic- maybe it's to make for good tv??
I didn't see this week's episode, but when ive watched it done before it didn't even look a 'snip' (pardon the pun) of a job and took some effort.
Surely two quarter turns on an 8mm on the bleed nipple would be way quicker??

But have to ask- why haven't they got a brake system in the cart, pads pushed apart, two mechanics, one takes care of the two 8mms at the top, one takes care of the two 10mms at the bottom. 30 seconds in total?

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

5/28/2017 11:10 PM

I think it was funny the guys pulling over thinking they were getting lapped ... Tomacs like thanks I ll take that one

|

5/28/2017 11:42 PM

newmann wrote:

It's like their first reaction is to cut the damn brake line. You would think losing one championship over front brake failure would have led to a team being well versed in a quick swap. Letting a 450 loose on those hills with zero front brakes should have resulted in a black flag debate. Just my uneducated opinion though.

How does one even begin to slow down on those hills without a front brake at that race pace for 30 whatever minutes..... If memory serves me correctly.......you may actually speed up if you apply only the rear brake to a steep downhill at race pace. Eli is a talented motorcycle rider.......IMO

|

5/28/2017 11:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2017 12:19 AM

2 points
Got Tedder on the last lap (down 10 seconds). I would have done that.....for 2 points....hell yes I would have thrown it away for those 2 points..
Even for 1 point. I would kill for that 1 point. (in a nice way)

Focus on the end.

|

Sometimes, Gravity just sucks.

5/29/2017 1:39 AM

teggers wrote:

2 points
Got Tedder on the last lap (down 10 seconds). I would have done that.....for 2 points....hell yes I would have thrown it away for those 2 points..
Even for 1 point. I would kill for that 1 point. (in a nice way)

Focus on the end.

Well I'll be...

Yep. Looks like he was 19th so,.. 2 points.

I guess that changes everything lol.

|

5/29/2017 1:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2017 1:49 AM

jorgechavez wrote:

Honestly for him to be as fast as riders in the top 10 without a front brake is crazy, gotta give it to him for the effort.

This. Plus it was on one of the most difficult tracks with lots of elevation too. A handful of riders in the world would have the skill and courage to just go without the front brake here !

|

5/29/2017 3:35 AM

Question wrote:

This. Plus it was on one of the most difficult tracks with lots of elevation too. A handful of riders in the world would have the skill and courage to just go without the front brake here !

My heart speeds up just thinking about MSH downhill with no front brake.

|

Sometimes, Gravity just sucks.

5/29/2017 3:39 AM

jorgechavez wrote:

Honestly for him to be as fast as riders in the top 10 without a front brake is crazy, gotta give it to him for the effort.

Says more about the top 10 than it does Tomac IMO..

|

5/29/2017 3:39 AM

It looked like he was asking himself that same question for the first lap after he went back out. Every point counts but we won't know if it was worth it till the end

|

5/29/2017 3:44 AM

Didn't he just lose a title by a few points?

Yeah it was worth it.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------