Tomac Says No to Des Nations

DP#201
7/30/2017 7:07am
Park Boys wrote:
The nationals started to end earlier so they did not have to compete with football in September, riders don't want MEC later in the year because...
The nationals started to end earlier so they did not have to compete with football in September, riders don't want MEC later in the year because if they get hurt it will be to close to supercross. The Motocross des Europe has always been a cool race to watch the rest of the world consistently go to the same few tracks in Europe but there are at least 29 races a year that Elis sponsors for example think are a bigger deal, wrong or not it's not gonna get any better and let's not forget American riders have been turning this event down since the early 90s and I'm sure even before that.
Guess it only fun to race if you know(think) you gonna win! He realized after his last attempts that it not that easy or obvious that he will win the biggest race of the year. And then its easier to just stay away.. I think it's very obvious, at least to me it is.
Swann
7/30/2017 7:09am
Fuck the Monster Energy Cup. It's a pointless, garbage race with zero significance. Let's all just refuse to watch/attend.

Make motocross great again
PastranaWho
7/30/2017 7:11am

Dont mean shit to eli tomac. RC would never say no.

7/30/2017 7:15am
I expected this from him. This is why I don't root for this guy.

Now I don't have to play the Battle Hymn of the Republic in the background but this race is an honor for United States fans of the sport and many of us view this race as the largest of the year. To me this is a turn on the fan and that's just the way I view it. Long term, and I have said this before, a great ride at this event coupled with a win entrenches into the memory banks of people and when Tomac is 40, 50, 60 years old people will still make a big deal out of it and we have seen some of the older MXDN winners have a small career on the sideline as a spokesperson, rep, tv announcer, etc be a benefit of being a part of these teams. It's such a win for the long term career of a short term career sport.

Personally, Tomac can not show up to any other race this year and I wouldn't miss him one bit. We have other true ambassadors of the sport that will gladly fill his role on this team.

The Shop

Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
7/30/2017 7:15am
Park Boys wrote:
The nationals started to end earlier so they did not have to compete with football in September, riders don't want MEC later in the year because...
The nationals started to end earlier so they did not have to compete with football in September, riders don't want MEC later in the year because if they get hurt it will be to close to supercross. The Motocross des Europe has always been a cool race to watch the rest of the world consistently go to the same few tracks in Europe but there are at least 29 races a year that Elis sponsors for example think are a bigger deal, wrong or not it's not gonna get any better and let's not forget American riders have been turning this event down since the early 90s and I'm sure even before that.
DP#201 wrote:
Guess it only fun to race if you know(think) you gonna win! He realized after his last attempts that it not that easy or obvious that...
Guess it only fun to race if you know(think) you gonna win! He realized after his last attempts that it not that easy or obvious that he will win the biggest race of the year. And then its easier to just stay away.. I think it's very obvious, at least to me it is.
Meh he hasnt performed to his standerds at the MxDN but both times he went he had the fastest laps of the event but also crashed us out of a sure win in 2013. I also could of swore he had to race the GP boys in his country for four motos last year and he smoked em every Moto. Espaiclly on a big wide open track like Glen Helen. Point is I know he is not afraid to race guys that every time he has been at an event with these riders he has gone the fastest.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
7/30/2017 7:16am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/30/207149/s1200_U.S._flags_on_the_National_Mall_2007.jpg[/img] Dont mean shit to eli tomac. RC would never say no.

RC, Stew and Windham all said no in the same year.
toomanykaws
7/30/2017 7:16am
People are forgetting there was a year RC did say no. Was switching to the Zuk. And how many times did JS7 not go? and RV? Its easy to be a spectator and say what the riders should do. But none of us are those riders racing and training their ass off all year. And fans wonder why they retire at an early age. They just did 30 years of work in 10-12. Tops.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
7/30/2017 7:17am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 7:22am
Swann wrote:
Fuck the Monster Energy Cup. It's a pointless, garbage race with zero significance. Let's all just refuse to watch/attend.

Make motocross great again
If you win all three races how much money do you make?
824 Dad
7/30/2017 7:19am
If the des nations doesn't mean much why did Bailey, Johnson and O'mara go back to Maggoria to celebrate their win after 30 years? I have never seen anyone celebrate a national win or championship beyond the day or year it happened.......
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
7/30/2017 7:21am
Really had call on Eli's part, you would think he would know better. Representing your country at MNdN is an honor (ask your brother Eli) but he obviously doesn't get that, or worse doesn't care.
PastranaWho
7/30/2017 7:24am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/30/207149/s1200_U.S._flags_on_the_National_Mall_2007.jpg[/img] Dont mean shit to eli tomac. RC would never say no.

Park Boys wrote:
RC, Stew and Windham all said no in the same year.
OK so RC said no one timeTongue
Swann
7/30/2017 7:31am
Park Boys wrote:
Exactly my point.
jamma10
7/30/2017 7:32am
Park Boys wrote:
Makes sense for a couple of reasons I guess, though I don't recall TV broadcast playing any part in it back in 2011/12 when it was first implemented. There was no TV package then, certainly not one that could dictate the schedule. From what I remember the dates were changed purely at the request of the teams who wanted more down time or testing time for SX.

MXlarge: Davey, the new calendar is out for the AMA Nationals in 2017. What stands out for you?

Coombs: I think we’ve got twelve superb race tracks—from the Hangtown opener to the grand finale Ironman, with iconic circuits like RedBud, Southwick, Washougal, Unadilla and more in between—and a concise schedule that makes it as easy on the riders and teams as possible to attend every round and be as ready as they can be to perform at their highest levels. We built in several breaks throughout the season with three on, one off, four on, one off, and so on, to give the riders and teams some recoupment time. We have a lot of races on the domestic calendar in the U.S. at 29 (17 SX rounds, followed by 12 nationals), plus a USGP, the MXoN, Monster Cup, etc.) so we have to be mindful of the toll on the riders. The attrition rate last year in SX/MX was very alarming in that a lot of guys couldn’t finish either series healthy. We need to be more mindful of the amount of races we have on both the SX and MX schedules, and give the riders and race teams ample time to be at their best. But in America, Monster Energy AMA Supercross traditionally starts at the first of the year and ends the first weekend in May, and they squeeze 17 rounds in. It’s definitely a grind, and Feld Motor Sports does the best they can to get the guys to Las Vegas healthy. But then we only have two weeks before we start Lucas Oil Pro Motocross, and it’s long been our goal to finish by the end of August, at the preference of not only the riders and teams, but our series partners at NBC. They love the content we provide from May to August when they need it, but come September, they have the NFL, college football, NASCAR and more. There’s just no room for motocross, and the kids are back in school—that’s a big reason why in my opinion attendance suffered at the Glen Helen USGP. The mainstream sports calendar in September is the busiest month of all, and that makes it tough for our sport to get much attention.
Bearuno
7/30/2017 7:36am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 7:37am
Tomac's an Adult.

He signed s contract for His services.

It seems he may have a bit of a choice in what 'after season' races he does.

So, with the last two, he's selected the one that he might be able to earn a Million from - if he wins all the Moto's.

His choice.

You - US 'fans' - can either accept it, or not.

The MXDN needs no particular country to attend for it to be 'special', in the eyes of millions of spectators across the globe. It's a magnificent event in and of itself, that Teams and Riders participate in for the honour of representing their country. If a rider, or riders, don't want to do so, select ones that Do. It's as basic as that.

That a few denigrate it, after a few years of their favoured team not winning, is just piss poor. What's the odds on many of those previously being at the front of the cheering when their team did win? - pretty bloody high, I'd say.

jamma10
7/30/2017 7:41am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 7:46am
Park Boys wrote:
Meh he hasnt performed to his standerds at the MxDN but both times he went he had the fastest laps of the event but also crashed...
Meh he hasnt performed to his standerds at the MxDN but both times he went he had the fastest laps of the event but also crashed us out of a sure win in 2013. I also could of swore he had to race the GP boys in his country for four motos last year and he smoked em every Moto. Espaiclly on a big wide open track like Glen Helen. Point is I know he is not afraid to race guys that every time he has been at an event with these riders he has gone the fastest.
Which is why it's a bit dissapointing that he doesn't value the chance to help Team USA break their losing streak. A team of Tomac, Osborne and pretty much anyone from the top ten in either class would be favourites.

That's not to say I can't see things from his perspective. Its a tricky predicament but it's still disappointing for the fans.
downard254
7/30/2017 7:42am
Graybeard wrote:
Really had call on Eli's part, you would think he would know better. Representing your country at MNdN is an honor (ask your brother Eli) but...
Really had call on Eli's part, you would think he would know better. Representing your country at MNdN is an honor (ask your brother Eli) but he obviously doesn't get that, or worse doesn't care.
Honestly, I don't think you can comment on anything that is going on in Eli's head, or about his decision to go/not go. Unless you are him, or around him every waking moment, you can't have a clue as to what drove his decision. You can say that you wish he had such desire to represent his country at this race, that during negotiation on his contract he would have had specified that the MXofN would take priority, problem is, that MX has become big business, and sadly, personal feelings on events have taken a backseat to "the business at hand". And let's not forget, that while people bash on Dungey for not going, I don't blame Ryan one bit for skipping the last couple events. He actually got less bad press/personal bashing for not going vs the attacks he got for participating and not living up to a bunch of US MX fans standards. You know damn well that if Eli went and we didn't win, our own American fans would bash the hell out of him. Folks just can't enjoy racing for what it is anymore.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/30/2017 7:44am
I would love to see Eli put it to everyone at Red Bud IF the MXDN really gets run there, but I would support not asking him after declining to go the last two years. As everyone said, move Monster Cup, why have a "warm up" for SX then 2 more months off before the first SX? How is that a warm up? Move it to mid Dec then it would be a warm up. Also don't get all saying send JMart. Yes he's 2nd in points but have you been watching him the last month? He's not moving forward, even at his home track. Something is up with him, and it's not the HP of the Honda. Send JA, Osborn and I would seriously consider AC. He's been putting in fast laps at most tracks, getting decent starts. Or maybe Savatgy, seems to be peaking now?
Shaned9326
7/30/2017 7:45am
With Eli being my favorite rider I'm way disapointed and pissed right now as if there ever was a year we needed his skills at des nations it was this year and fact he turned it down again just sucks!! Must be a new generation of mindset now as like others have said representing your country in that race with all of the other best in the world mixing it up is the ultimate show for true motocross fans all over the world and I would think winning it would be a tad bit more awesome than riding the stupid ass mec, strait rythm, or any other bs monster, Red Bull, or any of them throw out there!! I watched mx des nations last year and my damn hair stood up on my arms as it was some of the most exciting racing I've ever seen and also went to Charolette mxgp and budds creek two weeks earlier to Charolette!! It'd been great to see him ac#222, Herlings, febrve, paulin,nagal, and those guys throwing down for their country's colors his year as guess we will never know thanks to energy drink races and riders that just can't muster up one weekend more for their fans and country's colors!! Done with venting but fuck it let's just add 6 more supercrosses and drop the real sport that made the sport what it is today!!!!
Casting
7/30/2017 7:55am
What a selfish move. It's not like the guy isn't going to have every year of his life after age 30 to relax and take it easy.

I do not support his choice.
7/30/2017 8:03am
Park Boys wrote:
drop the MEC , let Monster use the money for MXON ..problem solved

MEC useless race in middle of season , MXON riders get paid well and are willing to go for last race in MX season
mxb2
7/30/2017 8:05am
Park Boys wrote:
Swann wrote:
Exactly my point.
Make $$ or no $$$, what would you do?
agn5009
7/30/2017 8:06am
yak651 wrote:
I would love to see Eli put it to everyone at Red Bud IF the MXDN really gets run there, but I would support not asking...
I would love to see Eli put it to everyone at Red Bud IF the MXDN really gets run there, but I would support not asking him after declining to go the last two years. As everyone said, move Monster Cup, why have a "warm up" for SX then 2 more months off before the first SX? How is that a warm up? Move it to mid Dec then it would be a warm up. Also don't get all saying send JMart. Yes he's 2nd in points but have you been watching him the last month? He's not moving forward, even at his home track. Something is up with him, and it's not the HP of the Honda. Send JA, Osborn and I would seriously consider AC. He's been putting in fast laps at most tracks, getting decent starts. Or maybe Savatgy, seems to be peaking now?
I agree with JA, I hope he takes the necessary time to get healthy before hand. Obviously Osborne is the best pick for the MX2 class. AC I really don't agree with. He can put in a fast lap he just can't maintain consistency. I would take Savatgy before AC at this point. He's been looking really good lately.

At this point, with Tomac and Baggett obviously out it's going to be a tough task to win. But Webb was starting to look good before his injury. I have no idea what his status is at this point but I really hope he's able to come back at Unadilla. If he is back and performs well for the remaining rounds then I think it'll be JA, Webb and Osborne. We can definitely win with that team.

Oh, and does anyone know if Musquin has US citizenship yet Laughing
mxb2
7/30/2017 8:07am
JP_93 wrote:
Pathetic from Tomac, Team USA just cant handle losing, simple as that. How can people say that the AMA have so many races..... 1 SATURDAY EACH...
Pathetic from Tomac, Team USA just cant handle losing, simple as that.
How can people say that the AMA have so many races..... 1 SATURDAY EACH WEEKEND! MXGP have 19 Rounds, 2 days riding, 38 races, + 19 qualifying races, and travelling the Globe, and still desperate to race at the Nations.
I was at Maggiora last year and felt for team USA, came so close and apart from being a Brit i wanted them to win just on sheer effort they put in, they were brilliant. But the fact that Tomac has decided he doesnt want to go is just ridiculous, and arrogant. Biggest race of the year, and its us the spectators who makes him the money and have the life that he has, and he cant even be bothered to show his face for one weekend and represent the country he so called loves! PATHETIC!
I read on vital , the riders don't owe us anything. Ask the fanboys.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
7/30/2017 8:10am
jamma10 wrote:
Which is why it's a bit dissapointing that he doesn't value the chance to help Team USA break their losing streak. A team of Tomac, Osborne...
Which is why it's a bit dissapointing that he doesn't value the chance to help Team USA break their losing streak. A team of Tomac, Osborne and pretty much anyone from the top ten in either class would be favourites.

That's not to say I can't see things from his perspective. Its a tricky predicament but it's still disappointing for the fans.
I wish he would go, but I don't care one bit that he dosent. I would bet he works harder than any other Motocross rider on earth. Look at the week off the series just had and everyone talked about having a few days to relax and they ask Tomac and he says he is gonna keep pounding out laps. From January through October he will race 31 events, 31 events with stacked fields. If he wants a week off you can't blame him. Also it looks more and more like the Americans are getting sick of it being a big pain for them, I understand it's always been a pain in the ass for the Americans to do the MxDN but lately it seems from top to bottom it's been more of a fuck it attitude and I can't really blame them for that either. It dosent line up with the AMA sechdule at all and now we are seeing the bad side of it, not saying it should. But when MX is done it's basically straight to Supercross. A better chance for a Supercross title means a hell of a lot more than a chance for a team win.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
7/30/2017 8:13am
Park Boys wrote:
drop the MEC , let Monster use the money for MXON ..problem solved MEC useless race in middle of season , MXON riders get paid well...
drop the MEC , let Monster use the money for MXON ..problem solved

MEC useless race in middle of season , MXON riders get paid well and are willing to go for last race in MX season
I would be fine with that, it will never happen. But if riders were racing for big bucks everyone would go. It's not just Americans that miss it.
eGGz
7/30/2017 8:17am
SCR wrote:
Why is the AMA schedule so much harder for current riders with 18 wheelers with climate controlled rider suites, personal trainers, life coaches, practice bike mechanics...
Why is the AMA schedule so much harder for current riders with 18 wheelers with climate controlled rider suites, personal trainers, life coaches, practice bike mechanics, and a full entourage of people helping , then it was for the top riders in the 80s and 90s with one mechanic and a box van.
Back then, many years they did same number of MX and SX races. Golden State Series, one of the three USGPs, Maybe Mammoth Mt, or 4 stroke World Championship, Superbikers at Carlsbad. Fly to Europe for Paris SX. And still go to MXDN.

The MX and Trophy design Nations used to have the entire team compete one week on 250s and next week on 500s. In 81 Omara raced a 500 for the first time against the best in the world.

I would like to see the schedule of Ward, Johnson, Bailey from back in the day.

A lot of todays riders are incredibly talented. But it seems like many don't have the same character or passion that a lot of larger than life Legends from the past had.

MXDN is the most important race of this sport IMO and should be treated that way by the promoters, riders and the industry.

It's sad watching a great sport end up in a bunch of stadiums.

Well said!
dkg
7/30/2017 8:24am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 8:27am
Thing I can't figure out about Eli, is why he presents National Pride, Patriotism, etc. in ceremonies involving his military pilot older brother (Armed Forces day at SX, comes to mind) and then the decision to not represent his country at MXoN. Either his National pride has been severely overstated, or there are others dictating his actions with different value systems then Eli portrays himself.

If you're going to talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk.
PabstBR11
7/30/2017 8:26am
If it doesn't mean much to have the US guys there and the event is fine without them, why is there a 7+ pager bitching about the top US guys not going? And the British saying we are bad losers, Have you checked the scoreboard lately? Post 1970 how many times has the UK won? This to me highlights why US going is a big deal, Its USA vs. Every other competing country. So its our top 3, vs. 62 other guys. If we don't go 99 Percent of the time it will be won by France or Belgium.

Ps. I Miss the days of villo, Rc, Rd etc going as our top guys SHOULD go injury permitting.
PabstBR11
7/30/2017 8:28am
dkg wrote:
Thing I can't figure out about Eli, is why he presents National Pride, Patriotism, etc. in ceremonies involving his military pilot older brother (Armed Forces day...
Thing I can't figure out about Eli, is why he presents National Pride, Patriotism, etc. in ceremonies involving his military pilot older brother (Armed Forces day at SX, comes to mind) and then the decision to not represent his country at MXoN. Either his National pride has been severely overstated, or there are others dictating his actions with different value systems then Eli portrays himself.

If you're going to talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk.
So should every American serve in their military? I'm a proud American but have never served. Does that make me less patriotic? This logic is insane to me.

Post a reply to: Tomac Says No to Des Nations

The Latest