Tomac Says No to Des Nations

Swann
7/29/2017 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2017 9:53pm
JustMX wrote:
Um, you do know France has won it 4 years in a row?
WWII reference. It was a joke. The French lost to the Germans and surrendered and we had to come to the rescue of England and pretty much the entire Western World when we invaded Normandy and decimated the Germans and soon after nuked the Japanese. Had we given up, the only people racing dirt bikes would be the Nazis.

So, once again, you can thank America for motocross and for giving France their country back so they could continue producing fine wines and buttery smooth motocross racers. We don't need no silly trophies. Knowing that we ensured motocross' existence is award enough.
struth
7/29/2017 9:54pm
Swann wrote:
No dude. We're America, not France. We don't give up, ever, especially in fucking England. Ze Germans are coming.
JustMX wrote:
Huevos wrote:
It's been 3 years... and even with America's "B Team" it's been damn close the last two years, including the time we were down a rider...
It's been 3 years... and even with America's "B Team" it's been damn close the last two years, including the time we were down a rider in the last moto.
Titan1
7/29/2017 9:54pm
I say good for him...honestly, I wish America would just stop participating.
hellion
7/29/2017 9:55pm
A guys gotta do what he feels is right. But as a fan, I'll never put Eli in the same catagory as I do Ward, Magoo, Stanton, RC, Villo etc. Sad.

The Shop

Yep
7/29/2017 9:58pm
JustMX wrote:
Huevos wrote:
It's been 3 years... and even with America's "B Team" it's been damn close the last two years, including the time we were down a rider...
It's been 3 years... and even with America's "B Team" it's been damn close the last two years, including the time we were down a rider in the last moto.
struth wrote:
Ouch
MohMoto14
7/29/2017 10:01pm
SwingHard wrote:
May sound crazy but, why not #800!? Like him or hate him,you know hes gonna give it 100%!
Bc fellow american Epstein(sp) waxed him in both motos today. Kid can ride.
Cashmore
7/29/2017 10:07pm
Let's see...

JA21
JM6 lets see what he can do on that 450
Osbourne
bsharkey
7/29/2017 10:16pm
October. That's just ridiculous why does the event just keep getting later and later every year it used to be early September before plus when you get into October the chances of rain just increase that much more
Yep
7/29/2017 10:20pm
Titan1 wrote:
I say good for him...honestly, I wish America would just stop participating.
"no mas"
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
7/29/2017 10:27pm
TripleFive wrote:
Pick two:

Cole Seely
Jason Anderson
Justin Bogle
Weston Peick
Cooper Webb
Justin Barcia

Anderson: currently out hurt
Bogle: Team is folding
Webb: out "hurt" + bike issues
Barcia: no contract for next year
Baggett: riding through injury, getting surgery.

So Seely and Pieck are the top US guys still racing somewhat healthy and with rides locked in for next year.
Fourth_Floor
7/29/2017 10:28pm
Jeremy Martin would be a good pick. He had a pretty awesome ride at Daytona supercross on the 450. Osborne, Anderson and Martin would be a pretty solid team in my opinion.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/29/2017 11:01pm
Imo He's automatically off next year's team then.... He's dead to me. Idk if its in the states... He's blew it 2 years in a row.....
wreckitrandy
7/29/2017 11:10pm
It's a free country,,,, for the time being anyway. If Tomac doesn't want to be on the team that's cool. But turning down two opportunities should probably ensure you don't get a third.
7/29/2017 11:14pm
It's a free country,,,, for the time being anyway. If Tomac doesn't want to be on the team that's cool. But turning down two opportunities should...
It's a free country,,,, for the time being anyway. If Tomac doesn't want to be on the team that's cool. But turning down two opportunities should probably ensure you don't get a third.
Is this what you would expect to go through Roger's head?
2thefront
7/29/2017 11:22pm
JustMX wrote:
Huevos wrote:
struth wrote:
I'd say 2011. 2013 RV was pretty dominant in MX and didn't go to mxdn.
SCR
7/29/2017 11:39pm
Why is the AMA schedule so much harder for current riders with 18 wheelers with climate controlled rider suites, personal trainers, life coaches, practice bike mechanics, and a full entourage of people helping , then it was for the top riders in the 80s and 90s with one mechanic and a box van.
Back then, many years they did same number of MX and SX races. Golden State Series, one of the three USGPs, Maybe Mammoth Mt, or 4 stroke World Championship, Superbikers at Carlsbad. Fly to Europe for Paris SX. And still go to MXDN.

The MX and Trophy design Nations used to have the entire team compete one week on 250s and next week on 500s. In 81 Omara raced a 500 for the first time against the best in the world.

I would like to see the schedule of Ward, Johnson, Bailey from back in the day.

A lot of todays riders are incredibly talented. But it seems like many don't have the same character or passion that a lot of larger than life Legends from the past had.

MXDN is the most important race of this sport IMO and should be treated that way by the promoters, riders and the industry.

It's sad watching a great sport end up in a bunch of stadiums.

wasummer46
7/29/2017 11:45pm
Katoomey wrote:
i'm just gonna say this cause I say it every year, and I'm not trolling or anything. Who cares? I mean, who cares if we go...
i'm just gonna say this cause I say it every year, and I'm not trolling or anything. Who cares? I mean, who cares if we go or not? or Eli goes?

I wouldn't go. I love watching that race, but i can't pretend that it means much. I could care less what nation is the best at motocross.

Both the AMA and MXGP have the best riders from all over the world competing against each other already. I don't see the point anymore. I see the MXdN race as a legacy. It's no longer relevant imo.
Just curious, Have you attended any of the US help MXON's ?

I have attended both Budds Creek as well Thunder Valley.

Both venues I have encountered people from all over the world who really hold high regard and prestige towards this race specifically.

Especially watching 250 bikes battle along 450 machines. The whole comradery, its worth all our attention, effort and resources.

I agree Tomac has too many current obligations with Monster to race these select GP's. But after attending the Charlotte GP last year... they should have reserved his availability to represent their company at their MXON.
51xc
7/29/2017 11:56pm
Cashmore wrote:
Let's see...

JA21
JM6 lets see what he can do on that 450
Osbourne
I'd pick the same. Solid team.
wreckitrandy
7/29/2017 11:56pm
It's a free country,,,, for the time being anyway. If Tomac doesn't want to be on the team that's cool. But turning down two opportunities should...
TripleFive wrote:
Is this what you would expect to go through Roger's head?
Thinking back, I don't recall DeCoster being big on second chances much less third. Seems a bit of a hard ###. I don't know him though. Someone that does know him might weigh in...? My earlier statement is my own feeling about the matter. I've been a Tomac fan since he was an amateur on Suzukis but, enough is enough.
7/29/2017 11:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 12:02am
You don't have to agree with Tomac's decision, but to say you're not a fan because he doesn't go is just comedy. Plenty of good riders have opted out, Dungey the last few seasons and last year he raced in Germany the week after so his injury isn't much of an excuse, and RV got surgery before the MXdN to be ready for Monster Cup.

Eli's gone to the event and rode his ass off before, and I'm sure if the circumstances were different he'd be the first to raise his hand to go but unfortunately there's a big green claw that pays him a lot of money to do other events.

I also agree with people saying that the US shouldn't send a team till they are willing to work with them a little bit, 2011 the event was the week after the US nationals ended and I have full confidence saying almost any US rider is willing to go if that was the case these past few years.
Motofinne
7/30/2017 12:30am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 12:47am
You don't have to agree with Tomac's decision, but to say you're not a fan because he doesn't go is just comedy. Plenty of good riders...
You don't have to agree with Tomac's decision, but to say you're not a fan because he doesn't go is just comedy. Plenty of good riders have opted out, Dungey the last few seasons and last year he raced in Germany the week after so his injury isn't much of an excuse, and RV got surgery before the MXdN to be ready for Monster Cup.

Eli's gone to the event and rode his ass off before, and I'm sure if the circumstances were different he'd be the first to raise his hand to go but unfortunately there's a big green claw that pays him a lot of money to do other events.

I also agree with people saying that the US shouldn't send a team till they are willing to work with them a little bit, 2011 the event was the week after the US nationals ended and I have full confidence saying almost any US rider is willing to go if that was the case these past few years.
I don't understand the "lets not send the US team because Youthstream fucks us over"

MXdN has been in late September for years. The date of MXdN has NOT changed through the years.

I also don't agree with Matthes when he says that MXdN would be almost nothing without the US team because they are the biggest attraction. Yes they are because it's the only time Euros get to see them but no US team at the race would not change anything, people all over Europe and the world would still show up and have a good time and celebrate the sport over a weekend of racing with or without US being there.
shuggs
7/30/2017 1:12am
Surprised everyone is taking this so well considering all the guys that declined to go in the past and got shit for it
Didn't Dungey get serious flack for not going from all the nonfanboys???

Pity as I had ET down as a patriotic American who would love to go and show who's best
Barrzy256
7/30/2017 1:18am
moto282 wrote:
We need to stop going until they move the date. The fact it's a week or two from monster cup way after our nationals is lame...
We need to stop going until they move the date. The fact it's a week or two from monster cup way after our nationals is lame. Don't blame guys that don't want to go.
Yea let's move the date, because on if one countries request. Don't be so sterotypical American and believe the world revolves around you
jemcee
7/30/2017 1:48am
bsharkey wrote:
October. That's just ridiculous why does the event just keep getting later and later every year it used to be early September before plus when you...
October. That's just ridiculous why does the event just keep getting later and later every year it used to be early September before plus when you get into October the chances of rain just increase that much more
After some very quick web searching (Which may have some slight inaccuracies) and mainly cause I was just making sure
2000 Sept 24-25
2001 Sept 29-30
2002 Oct 20-21
2003 Oct 4-5
2004 Oct 2-3
2005 Sept 24-25
2006 Sept 23-24
2007 Sept 22-23
2008 Sept 27-28
2009 Oct 3-4
2010 Sept 25-26
2011 Sept 17-18
2012 Sept 29-30
2013 Sept 28-29
2014 Sept 27-28
2015 Sept 26-27
2016 Sept 24-25
2017 Sept 30- Oct 1

I think you'll find if you want to blame something for your top riders not representing, you'd be better blaming the SX with no whoops that for some reason is in October
jamma10
7/30/2017 1:50am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2017 2:13am
You don't have to agree with Tomac's decision, but to say you're not a fan because he doesn't go is just comedy. Plenty of good riders...

In 2011 I remember people complaining that Team USA only had a week to travel and prepare.

The MXdN has historically been scheduled mid-late September to coincide with the end of both the GPs and Outdoor Nationals. in 2012 MX Sports rescheduled the Outdoor Nationals to finish at the end of August instead of mid-September. The previous year a marketing ploy was initiated to promote the MEC which suddenly made it even more attractive fnancially for riders than it already was - even though it's an exhibition race of little or no meaning whatsoever. No one remembers the past winners of the MEC, but they can win a lot of money which isn't on offer at the MXdN. That's the real issue.

Past dates of MXdN:

aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
7/30/2017 1:52am
moto282 wrote:
We need to stop going until they move the date. The fact it's a week or two from monster cup way after our nationals is lame...
We need to stop going until they move the date. The fact it's a week or two from monster cup way after our nationals is lame. Don't blame guys that don't want to go.
Why, its not like the date only affects the U.S

NZ championship finish in early January, lets move the MXoN To Feb to suit them, Aus finish mid August,

Apart from the MXGP most of the Euro championships finish much earlier in the year, not every rider line up comes completely from the MXGP.

Even with 4 weeks off, the U.S with their best or close to best line up is always going to be one of the big favorites.

Though if the U.S stop going it really only affects the U.S. The rest of the MX world will keep watching.
jemcee
7/30/2017 1:57am
Jamma ya bastard I coulda saved my effort haha
7/30/2017 2:08am
Wow, some of these comments are comical. Move the Des Nations for Monster Cup? MC has what, 20 entries?

And the ones saying US shouldn't even send a team anymore because the race doesn't mean shit are even funnier. Grinning

When the US team was on a roll everyone had to hear how great you were and how much this race was a proving ground. Huh

Back on topic:
Bummed to see Eli not go. I rather see him race the Nations rather than 2 meaningless GPs... Anderson in his place could very well still get the job done so I hope he heals in time.

Post a reply to: Tomac Says No to Des Nations

The Latest