Tomac Managing The Title??

ATKpilot99
7/1/2019 7:07am
Ericrob7 wrote:
He put on a good charge to catch Musquin, but then fell off the pace. Do you think he settled in and grabbed the 26 point...
He put on a good charge to catch Musquin, but then fell off the pace. Do you think he settled in and grabbed the 26 point lead...or he was legit tired from last weekend?
Motoxdoc wrote:
That's an easy one to answer IMO...He tried really really hard to get Marvin...he got "legit tired"...he settled in for a 26 point lead. Call it...
That's an easy one to answer IMO...He tried really really hard to get Marvin...he got "legit tired"...he settled in for a 26 point lead. Call it managing the race..."managing the title"...or just using common sense to get the most points without exploding and dislocating 2 shoulders on a hot day.
I call it getting beat, 2 weeks in a row now for those keeping score. Yep he still has a 26 point lead, but this season...
I call it getting beat, 2 weeks in a row now for those keeping score. Yep he still has a 26 point lead, but this season still has a ways to go. 26 points aint shit!
What did he have a 6 point lead going into the weekend? And now 26. I'd say that's a pretty successful weekend but yes it is too early to start cruising. Zach and Marv are coming.
7/1/2019 9:27am
Motoxdoc wrote:
That's an easy one to answer IMO...He tried really really hard to get Marvin...he got "legit tired"...he settled in for a 26 point lead. Call it...
That's an easy one to answer IMO...He tried really really hard to get Marvin...he got "legit tired"...he settled in for a 26 point lead. Call it managing the race..."managing the title"...or just using common sense to get the most points without exploding and dislocating 2 shoulders on a hot day.
I call it getting beat, 2 weeks in a row now for those keeping score. Yep he still has a 26 point lead, but this season...
I call it getting beat, 2 weeks in a row now for those keeping score. Yep he still has a 26 point lead, but this season still has a ways to go. 26 points aint shit!
ATKpilot99 wrote:
What did he have a 6 point lead going into the weekend? And now 26. I'd say that's a pretty successful weekend but yes it is...
What did he have a 6 point lead going into the weekend? And now 26. I'd say that's a pretty successful weekend but yes it is too early to start cruising. Zach and Marv are coming.
Agreed, he did gap KR, but MM and ZO gained on him.
PRM31
7/1/2019 12:07pm
Eli looks like he’s taken some lessons for Dungey.

Admittedly he looks a bit less comfortable on the bike, but he might just be taking less risks. Time will tell.
7/1/2019 12:18pm
Press516 wrote:
He clearly said in post race interview that he burned himself out catching Marv. Said he had to work too hard passing the guys to catch...
He clearly said in post race interview that he burned himself out catching Marv. Said he had to work too hard passing the guys to catch him. This was simply an issue of not getting the start that the other guys got. Lap 1, Tomac crossed 8th... It was an 11th or 12th place start. Too many guys going mega fast this year.
They may be fast but there's no greatness out there.

The Shop

kpiper
7/1/2019 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 1:03pm
OT wrote:
ET Doesn't settle
Not true at all. He settled for 7th first moto at WW and for 3rd second moto at Southwick. Probably the smart move but it was making a choice not to push any harder.

The next two races will really tell a lot. If Eli does not win a moto then he is in a dogfight with Marv and Zacho and he may not win the title. Roczen can get right back in it too with a couple of wins. But if Tomac wins two of the next four motos he should be in good shape. I am not sure that will happen though. Plus he has had a mechanical each of the last two years.

Everyone peaks. Maybe Eli is at that point. He talks about retiring in a couple of years. New contact signed. You can tell the 2019 bike is not as good. Girlfriend. Dogs. Likes flying. The good life. Lots of things.

I don't think the others have caught up to his speed from last year. I think he has slowed down and is not in as good of shape for those late moto charges.

kb228
7/1/2019 1:10pm
OT wrote:
ET Doesn't settle
kpiper wrote:
Not true at all. He settled for 7th first moto at WW and for 3rd second moto at Southwick. Probably the smart move but it was...
Not true at all. He settled for 7th first moto at WW and for 3rd second moto at Southwick. Probably the smart move but it was making a choice not to push any harder.

The next two races will really tell a lot. If Eli does not win a moto then he is in a dogfight with Marv and Zacho and he may not win the title. Roczen can get right back in it too with a couple of wins. But if Tomac wins two of the next four motos he should be in good shape. I am not sure that will happen though. Plus he has had a mechanical each of the last two years.

Everyone peaks. Maybe Eli is at that point. He talks about retiring in a couple of years. New contact signed. You can tell the 2019 bike is not as good. Girlfriend. Dogs. Likes flying. The good life. Lots of things.

I don't think the others have caught up to his speed from last year. I think he has slowed down and is not in as good of shape for those late moto charges.

Huh? Hes on a brand new bike man. Compare 2016 to 2019. Not 2018 to 2019. Hes what? 26? Youre talking like hes a grandpa out there or something. He got 3rd at southwick and gained a bunch of points. Hes doing just fine.
Press516
Fantasy
111th
7/1/2019 1:30pm
Press516 wrote:
He clearly said in post race interview that he burned himself out catching Marv. Said he had to work too hard passing the guys to catch...
He clearly said in post race interview that he burned himself out catching Marv. Said he had to work too hard passing the guys to catch him. This was simply an issue of not getting the start that the other guys got. Lap 1, Tomac crossed 8th... It was an 11th or 12th place start. Too many guys going mega fast this year.
ROFL.... Sure pal.
Kevin852
7/1/2019 2:08pm
SwingHard wrote:
Well I can't speak of Dungey getting tired or backing it down but, I know of two Baker disciples (RV,RC) that never settled!
Huh? Just last week MM admitted he was fried and had nothing at the end of the scond moto and settled for 3rd.
kpiper
7/1/2019 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 3:55pm
kb228 wrote:
Huh? Hes on a brand new bike man. Compare 2016 to 2019. Not 2018 to 2019. Hes what? 26? Youre talking like hes a grandpa out...
Huh? Hes on a brand new bike man. Compare 2016 to 2019. Not 2018 to 2019. Hes what? 26? Youre talking like hes a grandpa out there or something. He got 3rd at southwick and gained a bunch of points. Hes doing just fine.
Yes, he gained points but he lost a lot on MM the last two races and he gets a 2nd and a 3rd at his favorite track. He did not fall either.

I want Eli to win but that was not a good sign especially when you add in the 7th the week before. He has never been good at trying to 'manage' races either.

It was Eli who recently brought up the talk of how RV, RD, and RC had quit racing when they were 27 so it is in his brain.

So no concern at all on your part? Should make for an exciting series though which is great.
7/1/2019 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 7:42pm
Look at the 250 class. I think everyone would agree that AC is just dominating, right? Yet Tomac has an ever LARGER lead in the 450 points. Very good points management.....
krypto71
7/1/2019 7:59pm
You only need to win the title by a single point. I'd say Eli would be pretty ok with where things are at right now.
Motoxdoc
7/1/2019 8:10pm
Ericrob7 wrote:
He put on a good charge to catch Musquin, but then fell off the pace. Do you think he settled in and grabbed the 26 point...
He put on a good charge to catch Musquin, but then fell off the pace. Do you think he settled in and grabbed the 26 point lead...or he was legit tired from last weekend?
Motoxdoc wrote:
26 points is an entire moto lead after only half the season is done. At that rate he will lock it up with an entire race to spare....”for those keeping score.”
swtwtwtw
7/1/2019 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 9:05pm
At the rate Marvin is making up points these last two races he will have a 9 point lead at the end of the series.
hamncheeze
7/1/2019 9:09pm
What if Marvin wins out and Tomac goes 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 to the end? The ultimate Weege scenario.
Ericrob7
7/2/2019 2:45am
kb228 wrote:
Huh? Hes on a brand new bike man. Compare 2016 to 2019. Not 2018 to 2019. Hes what? 26? Youre talking like hes a grandpa out...
kpiper wrote:
Yes, he gained points but he lost a lot on MM the last two races and he gets a 2nd and a 3rd at his favorite...
Yes, he gained points but he lost a lot on MM the last two races and he gets a 2nd and a 3rd at his favorite track. He did not fall either.

I want Eli to win but that was not a good sign especially when you add in the 7th the week before. He has never been good at trying to 'manage' races either.

It was Eli who recently brought up the talk of how RV, RD, and RC had quit racing when they were 27 so it is in his brain.

So no concern at all on your part? Should make for an exciting series though which is great.
What are talking about Tomac has peaked?? Just because he finishes a moto in 7th and then wins the next moto...somehow means he's peaked? This past weekend a 2-3 finish, while gaining 20 points....he's peaked for sure. LOL!
kb228
7/2/2019 4:35am
kb228 wrote:
kpiper wrote:
Yes, he gained points but he lost a lot on MM the last two races and he gets a 2nd and a 3rd at his favorite...

Marvin doesnt matter. Only thing that matters is the gap over 2nd place in points. So no, no concern. I predict tomac to get a podium at redbud and then wick it back up to finish the series.
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
7/2/2019 1:18pm
We will see at redbud, it's gonna be interesting.
kpiper
7/2/2019 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 1:24pm
Ericrob7 wrote:
What are talking about Tomac has peaked?? Just because he finishes a moto in 7th and then wins the next moto...somehow means he's peaked? This past...
What are talking about Tomac has peaked?? Just because he finishes a moto in 7th and then wins the next moto...somehow means he's peaked? This past weekend a 2-3 finish, while gaining 20 points....he's peaked for sure. LOL!
I did say 'maybe' he has peaked. Asked a question, not a statement that he has. Every rider does at some point. He sure is not at the level he was last year at this point.

Eli even said himself he was disappointed in his results at Southwick (his favorite track). But I hope you are right.
hamncheeze
7/2/2019 3:43pm
I said in another thread somewhere after High Point that I expected Tomac to take 3/4 motos between WW and Southwick. Instead it was only 1/4 with a weird 7th. I really felt like those sandy tracks would be his playground. And honestly I've never seen him looked as beat in a podium speech after Southwick moto 2. I will say that I am very much enjoying the relative parity in the 450 class. We've already had 5 guys win motos and I believe both Anderson and Webb could win a moto, and if it was a real mudder a healthier Barcia could also take a moto win.
7/2/2019 4:08pm
Press516 wrote:
Press516 wrote:
ROFL.... Sure pal.
That's what Reed said.
swtwtwtw
7/2/2019 4:59pm
Dungey 2015, 37 point lead after 6 rounds
Dungey 2010, 64 point lead after 6 rounds
7/2/2019 5:06pm
SwingHard wrote:
Well I can't speak of Dungey getting tired or backing it down but, I know of two Baker disciples (RV,RC) that never settled!
Kevin852 wrote:
Huh? Just last week MM admitted he was fried and had nothing at the end of the scond moto and settled for 3rd.
If you were "fried and had nothing left", you didnt settle, thats just where you finished.
Ranman68
7/2/2019 5:17pm
I think it's all being over analyzed. Tomac may not be dominating like a lot of people thought he would, but the dude is still in the points lead with a 26 point gap. He's as good as ever in my opinion. The reason he can't come from way back after a bad start and win is because of all the super fast, hungry, 100 percent healthy riders he is up against.
This is the best Musquin I've ever seen. The best Anderson, the best Webb, the best Roczen since 2016, that little beast Osborn is now in the mix too. Barcia use to fight up front and be a threat for a win. Now he's just 6th place period, because the field is way better than in past years. Look at Baggett. He is healthy and look where he's at in points. The field is just super good.
I think Tomac is fine and doing an amazing job. I think he's every bit as fast as last year. Maybe a hair better. The only difference is there are faster guys around him than ever before. Not just one or two. There are several, and they all believe they can win at any time. The sulituation is different this year. Quite a bit different, and Tomac is still good enough to have a 26 point lead halfway through the series. Nothing is wrong with Tomac.He's as good or better than ever. That's just my opinion based on what I'm seeing.
Shaned9326
7/2/2019 5:31pm
Ranman68 wrote:
I think it's all being over analyzed. Tomac may not be dominating like a lot of people thought he would, but the dude is still in...
I think it's all being over analyzed. Tomac may not be dominating like a lot of people thought he would, but the dude is still in the points lead with a 26 point gap. He's as good as ever in my opinion. The reason he can't come from way back after a bad start and win is because of all the super fast, hungry, 100 percent healthy riders he is up against.
This is the best Musquin I've ever seen. The best Anderson, the best Webb, the best Roczen since 2016, that little beast Osborn is now in the mix too. Barcia use to fight up front and be a threat for a win. Now he's just 6th place period, because the field is way better than in past years. Look at Baggett. He is healthy and look where he's at in points. The field is just super good.
I think Tomac is fine and doing an amazing job. I think he's every bit as fast as last year. Maybe a hair better. The only difference is there are faster guys around him than ever before. Not just one or two. There are several, and they all believe they can win at any time. The sulituation is different this year. Quite a bit different, and Tomac is still good enough to have a 26 point lead halfway through the series. Nothing is wrong with Tomac.He's as good or better than ever. That's just my opinion based on what I'm seeing.
Tomac is not dialed in this year imo!! Lap times don’t lie especially late in motos when he could flick beast mode on and drop 1 to 3 seconds a lap when needed at any track and at any time!! Not seen that this year yet and if Marvin and Zac beat him this weekend than we have a damn tittle fight rill the end!! They talked about it on race review this week as Eli is slighty off compared to what we saw all last year!! He damn well doesn’t want to catch Marvin and then get gapped again!! I personally hope he drops the hammer as been waiting to see it all year!!
kpiper
7/2/2019 5:39pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
Tomac is not dialed in this year imo!! Lap times don’t lie especially late in motos when he could flick beast mode on and drop 1...
Tomac is not dialed in this year imo!! Lap times don’t lie especially late in motos when he could flick beast mode on and drop 1 to 3 seconds a lap when needed at any track and at any time!! Not seen that this year yet and if Marvin and Zac beat him this weekend than we have a damn tittle fight rill the end!! They talked about it on race review this week as Eli is slighty off compared to what we saw all last year!! He damn well doesn’t want to catch Marvin and then get gapped again!! I personally hope he drops the hammer as been waiting to see it all year!!
You are right although he did drop the hammer (I think) 2nd moto Pala and pretty much the 2nd moto in CO.

And you would have to say he did the same thing 2nd moto Southwick with the difference being this year he ran out of steam and could not take the win.

That is very unlike Eli outdoors. 26 points is not enough of a lead if he has one bad moto which he usually does each year.
Press516
Fantasy
111th
7/2/2019 8:18pm
Press516 wrote:
ROFL.... Sure pal.
That's what Reed said.
I didn't hear or see that... And I have no ill feelings for Reed, but he is wrong.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
7/2/2019 8:32pm
Tomac is taking a page out of Dungey's book. He's able to back it down outdoors and still manage the title. Absolutely he's backing it down and taking good points rather than having heroic rides.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
7/2/2019 9:36pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
Tomac is not dialed in this year imo!! Lap times don’t lie especially late in motos when he could flick beast mode on and drop 1...
kpiper wrote:
You are right although he did drop the hammer (I think) 2nd moto Pala and pretty much the 2nd moto in CO. And you would have...
You are right although he did drop the hammer (I think) 2nd moto Pala and pretty much the 2nd moto in CO.

And you would have to say he did the same thing 2nd moto Southwick with the difference being this year he ran out of steam and could not take the win.

That is very unlike Eli outdoors. 26 points is not enough of a lead if he has one bad moto which he usually does each year.
i havent gone back to look but I bet 26 points is on par with his largest lead in points the past two years which he ended up winning.
swtwtwtw
7/2/2019 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 11:23pm
Tomac 2017, +13, 2018 +32 points
Shaned9326
7/3/2019 3:02am
Shaned9326 wrote:
kpiper wrote:
You are right although he did drop the hammer (I think) 2nd moto Pala and pretty much the 2nd moto in CO. And you would have...

soggy wrote:
i havent gone back to look but I bet 26 points is on par with his largest lead in points the past two years which he...
i havent gone back to look but I bet 26 points is on par with his largest lead in points the past two years which he ended up winning.
He was leading by 33 points last year going into red budd

Post a reply to: Tomac Managing The Title??

The Latest