Tomac, "I am ok with that"

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2019 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2019 12:10 PM

Lots of people say Eli is hard to figure out. Weege just wrote a whole article about if he is 'great' or not. After some thought and watching him this year, I think he is pretty easy to figure out these days.

1) Clearly, the back injury last December got in his head as well it should. He even mentioned it saying it did.
2) Not being comfortable on the new bike.
3) Getting older, steady girlfriend, his own house with dogs, "Loves flying", etc.
4) Letting MM25 by at the finish line jump one race in SX, getting tight and falling back after it looked like he was going to move forward and maybe win in several races.
5) No superhuman come from behind wins this year yet in moto like last year.
6) Seems pretty relaxed and more easy-going than ever lately.

And I heard someone say that he has decided he is "ok" with only really going for it when he feels it. He is ok with that. Being that kind of rider.

I think he has decided based on all these things and more that he is fine going for it when he feels good and not going for it when he does not. He is not going to let it bother him (like it does us Lol) when he gets a 6th or 7th place finish in a moto.

Actually, pretty smart. Takes all the pressure off him or a lot of it anyway. He has a lot of money, great life and really no reason to hang it out when he is not comfortable despite the fact that most of the fans expect it every race.

He is a great rider. No doubt. Right up there with the all-time very best just does not have the titles in SX. But he sure does have a ton of amazing all-time great race wins. We should all cheer him on and appreciate his talent. Stop second-guessing every 'non-win' race. Only get to watch him two more years.

|

7/17/2019 12:07 PM

Looks comfortable...

|

'22 CRF250R...??
'21 KX250
'20 KTM SX-E5
'21 Husky EE-5
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

7/17/2019 12:08 PM

soopah noviss wrote:

Looks comfortable...

Yes, he does.

|

7/17/2019 12:15 PM

Look, l don't even like Eli but it's clear that regardless of anything else he's the main American dude right now. Most of the coverage promotes Eli first and all others come in decending order.

It's also a little unfair to try assess something that's still in progress. Let's wait and see where he ends up stats wise after it's all said and done.

Personally, and it hurts me to say this, l see him as the "guy" and he will be remembered as a "great" and a muti-time champion and he deserves that distinction. He's earned it.

|

7/17/2019 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2019 3:47 PM

|

7/17/2019 12:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2019 12:36 PM

If that’s actually his mindset, then I think it will be great for his career. He’s said he wants to win more championships yet and not retire at an early age. If he’s not “feeling it” for whatever reason a certain moto and he comes in 5th, so be it. No need to risk a measly Moto win if you might ruin the rest of your year or career doing it, especially if you come back the next race and are “feeling it”. I think as long as he’s not burning himself out, he can have these wishy-washy odd ball motos sometimes and it’ll probably keep him around the races longer.

|

7/17/2019 12:58 PM

kpiper wrote:

Lots of people say Eli is hard to figure out. Weege just wrote a whole article about if he is 'great' or not. After some ...more

He is fun to watch when he is on.
I must have missed him announcing he is only racing two more years. Bummer for the fans but his competition is probably happy about it.

|

7/17/2019 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2019 2:32 PM

Sounds a lot like Ciaroli. It's worked out well for him.

|

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

7/17/2019 1:26 PM

All of this has been obvious since round 4 of sx.. but yea this chilling out has been good for him.

|

7/17/2019 1:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2019 1:40 PM

Can't believe this thread has gone 9 posts without the He-Man Tomac Haters Club chiming in.

|

7/17/2019 1:52 PM

When you have the speed to finish in the top 5 on an "off" day, it starts to show in your confidence level. The dude knows he can be in the conversation in any championship event without trying too hard. That's a great place to be.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/17/2019 2:04 PM

MX Guy wrote:

Wtf are you smoking? 21 is WAY more than an inch away. Dear lord! Where do you people come from?

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

7/17/2019 2:29 PM

MX Guy wrote:
Racer111 wrote:

Wtf are you smoking? 21 is WAY more than an inch away. Dear lord! Where do you people come from?

I would put Marvin, Roczen, Osborne before Anderson

|

7/17/2019 2:30 PM

kpiper wrote:

Lots of people say Eli is hard to figure out. Weege just wrote a whole article about if he is 'great' or not. After some ...more

“Only get to watch him two more years” makes me sad but probably true. Let’s enjoy it.

|

7/17/2019 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2019 2:33 PM

Truthfully, if you are one of the FMOTP, your bank account is legit, and your "work" is racing dirt bikes.... the smart move is to do exactly as he is.... keep it on two freakn wheels and watch the zeros keep on piling up....

But......... some racers seem to care less then "back in the day"...... they retire earlier- because it is easier/safer for them....... we used to strive to do the hard things...... now many people only strive to hit a certain checkpoint, then put it on cruise control..... riders used to strives to break ALL the records....... now they seem to strive for early retirement..... change in society I know.... but.....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

7/17/2019 2:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2019 2:43 PM

MX Guy wrote:

Not even close. He even said himself that he's basically a roadblock out there. He's never won an overall for a reason on 250s or 450s.

|

7/17/2019 2:43 PM

gt80rider wrote:

Truthfully, if you are one of the FMOTP, your bank account is legit, and your "work" is racing dirt bikes.... the smart move ...more

Well... look how it turned out for Stewart. The bar got set impossibly high, and even though he had a ridiculously successful career, a lot of people view it as coming up short. Not meant as a dig, he's a young retired happy dad now either way.

|

7/17/2019 2:44 PM

gt80rider wrote:

Truthfully, if you are one of the FMOTP, your bank account is legit, and your "work" is racing dirt bikes.... the smart move ...more

kIdS tHeSe dAyS aMiRiTe

|

7/17/2019 2:49 PM

He 's not my favorite....but I love that he 's racin..

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

7/17/2019 2:55 PM

Photo
|

7/17/2019 3:48 PM

Racer111 wrote:

So negative. Take a chill pill.

|

7/17/2019 3:57 PM

I don't see him retiring before 30 years old.

|

7/17/2019 4:17 PM

MX Guy wrote:
Racer111 wrote:

MX Guy wrote:

So negative. Take a chill pill.

Not negative, it is called reality.

|

7/17/2019 4:30 PM

WCRider wrote:

I don't see him retiring before 30 years old.

Hes out at 28 or 29 for sure.

|

7/17/2019 4:35 PM

gt80rider wrote:

People’s careers also start at age 5. They’re burnt the f out by 25.

|

7/17/2019 4:40 PM

Dungey, RC, and RV all did it the same way. Made it to the top, were all highly successful, then they all retired with plenty left in the tank. Some pro NFL players are starting to do the same.

|

7/17/2019 4:48 PM

Weege has had some stupid takes lately. I love the guy, but even on the pull reviews I find myself thinking wtf sometimes

|

7/17/2019 5:20 PM

Red Crawford wrote:

Sounds a lot like Ciaroli. It's worked out well for him.

Headcase still, opposite of AC

|

7/17/2019 5:31 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Headcase still, opposite of AC

Headcase? How so?

|

7/17/2019 8:53 PM

kpiper wrote:

Lloydcarter wrote:

“Only get to watch him two more years” makes me sad but probably true. Let’s enjoy it.

Gibberish

|