Tomac Clutch Problem?

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/5/2020 8:33am
You guys are nutjobs, take this shit over to 4chan
kpiper
10/5/2020 12:58pm
It was strange...all his hand movements on the clutch lever. And why the almost 'sudden' stop?

Could have been a bleed issue...if all of a sudden there was no clutch pressure in the lever and so he was kind of banging at it?

I don't think he was going to give up that win for AC though. He seemed like he really wanted it and it would not help AC all that much.

On a side note, maybe Eli is winning again because he is now in 'Tomac beast mode' race shape conditioning-wise? Fastest guy on the track the last three motos.
JM485
10/5/2020 1:19pm
This place, I swear.Pinch

If he was faking a clutch issue then why the hell would he give it a test feather coming out of the corner before he got back on it? Not only that, but do you really think he’s coming up with this elaborate ruse to fool the tv crew into thinking he had an issue while leading a pro National with only a somewhat comfortable gap? Give me a break. . .
ctbale
10/5/2020 1:29pm
Anybody know what the bonus money difference is between 1st and 2nd for a guy like Eli? $50K ?

Nope, pretty sure him slowing up 5 seconds on that lap was unintentional.

The Shop

Hcallz5
10/5/2020 1:57pm
Won't someone think of the clutch plates??
kkawboy14
10/5/2020 2:03pm
tonyd811 wrote:
I really think with the amount of times ET was looking back and the "unique" hand movements trying to fix a clutch that is basically unfixable...
I really think with the amount of times ET was looking back and the "unique" hand movements trying to fix a clutch that is basically unfixable up top (reservoir/lever/perch) that he was trying to help out the team. 100%. I swear dude was doing a wind-out motion at one point as if it was a cable clutch. I commend him on his effort.
Yep!
resetjet
10/5/2020 4:16pm
Ive had a hydraulic clutch come back.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/5/2020 4:23pm
tonyd811 wrote:
I really think with the amount of times ET was looking back and the "unique" hand movements trying to fix a clutch that is basically unfixable...
I really think with the amount of times ET was looking back and the "unique" hand movements trying to fix a clutch that is basically unfixable up top (reservoir/lever/perch) that he was trying to help out the team. 100%. I swear dude was doing a wind-out motion at one point as if it was a cable clutch. I commend him on his effort.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Yep!
No no and no.
jasonv43
10/5/2020 4:30pm
Maybe his leverage ratio was off???

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-tech-spec-10-things-you-need-to-know…

(2) Clutch. Although the 2020 KX450 clutch is hydraulically activated, the clutch itself isn’t very good. We recommend removing the miniaturized fiber plate, ring-like judder spring and flat spacer, and replacing them with one additional full-size clutch plate. Additionally, we run three stiffer Pro Circuit clutch springs. The leverage ratio of the stock clutch lever does not generate enough hydraulic piston movement to release the clutch fully. When your clutch lever hits the two fingers that are still on the grip, the clutch is actually slipping. Even though you think you’ve pulled the clutch in, you haven’t. We went to the guy who builds Eli Tomac’s clutch lever, and he told us to run an ARC Flip-Chip-equipped PowerLever. It allows you to change the leverage ratio and make the clutch disengage at six different points on the lever pull.
norcal racer
10/5/2020 4:32pm
He was faking it. Which was cool to see him willing to help AC actually
10/5/2020 6:03pm
His mechanic was 100% hiding the clutch lever from the TV camera with his arm when Eli handed off the bike under the tent. The camera operator was clearly trying to get the shot and they weren't having it.

I don't know why they would do that, but it happened.
10/5/2020 6:11pm
His mechanic was 100% hiding the clutch lever from the TV camera with his arm when Eli handed off the bike under the tent. The camera...
His mechanic was 100% hiding the clutch lever from the TV camera with his arm when Eli handed off the bike under the tent. The camera operator was clearly trying to get the shot and they weren't having it.

I just went back and watched it, I wouldn’t say he hid it on purpose. He was just leaning on the bike with his arm on the bars
10/5/2020 6:13pm
His mechanic was 100% hiding the clutch lever from the TV camera with his arm when Eli handed off the bike under the tent. The camera...

kpiper
10/5/2020 6:33pm
He was faking it. Which was cool to see him willing to help AC actually
He wasn't trying to give the win to AC. No way.
kpiper
10/5/2020 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2020 6:35pm

I just went back and watched it, I wouldn’t say he hid it on purpose. He was just leaning on the bike with his arm on...
I just went back and watched it, I wouldn’t say he hid it on purpose. He was just leaning on the bike with his arm on the bars
Could be they have some kind of gizmo on there for him...especially after LL2.

Of course, I have no idea but someone out there should know.
Titane
10/6/2020 12:43am
By the way, I never seen Eli running Handguards .. those last years were rocks in front brake levers so we could see they change the rubber on master cylinder and pull some protections on the master cylinder too, but never ever saw him running handguards ! I know it’s not looking nice on pictures but I guess it could help a lot from those kind of problems .. as he don’t have to mess up with the cable clutch adjuster anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/6/2020 5:33am
He runs hand guards in mud races usually
Titane
10/6/2020 6:20am
I remember Roczen wearing handguards all outdoor races .. it’s not only for mud
10/6/2020 6:32am
Titane wrote:
By the way, I never seen Eli running Handguards .. those last years were rocks in front brake levers so we could see they change the...
By the way, I never seen Eli running Handguards .. those last years were rocks in front brake levers so we could see they change the rubber on master cylinder and pull some protections on the master cylinder too, but never ever saw him running handguards ! I know it’s not looking nice on pictures but I guess it could help a lot from those kind of problems .. as he don’t have to mess up with the cable clutch adjuster anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️
I always loved the handguard look since i was little for some reason... still run them on my cr and kx
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/6/2020 6:39am
Titane wrote:
Right, we are talking about Eli. Some racers use them more often.
mxaaron
10/6/2020 9:22am
ti473 wrote:
I think he was just waiting on AC, but once he saw AC still couldn’t pass him he just said Eff it, see ya.
Stamp it....
motomike137
10/6/2020 12:44pm
I think he was jacking with Kawasaki. He lit the afterburner when he didn't need to if he was going to be a team player. if he was faking the clutch issue it was more like "hey look I'm having issues with the bike again" but then it solved itself or he really did have a rock in it or air in the line and either way he was in the next zip code at the checkered flag. I would think that he was not thrilled with his bike breaking twice on one day and all this attention AC has been getting when he knows in his heart he is still the guy. Maybe my tin foil hat is too tight I don't know Wink
Titane
10/6/2020 2:09pm
Titane wrote:
soggy wrote:
Thanks man I did not realize
I mean, I talk about a guy who was racing like Eli for championship, it means minimize all problems possible
10/6/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2020 2:46pm

I just went back and watched it, I wouldn’t say he hid it on purpose. He was just leaning on the bike with his arm on...
kpiper wrote:

Yup - all-new gizmo: The team has wired the lever to deliver a painful electric shock after a pre-determined pull count. That's why Eli's lap speeds briefly dropped precipitously until Eli managed to disable the new system by repeatedly pounding on it with his fist, as can be seen in the race footage.

On the podium Tomac reported, "I had a clutch...uh... clutch... hang up."
motomike137
10/6/2020 3:32pm
kpiper wrote:

Yup - all-new gizmo: The team has wired the lever to deliver a painful electric shock after a pre-determined pull count. That's why Eli's lap speeds...
Yup - all-new gizmo: The team has wired the lever to deliver a painful electric shock after a pre-determined pull count. That's why Eli's lap speeds briefly dropped precipitously until Eli managed to disable the new system by repeatedly pounding on it with his fist, as can be seen in the race footage.

That's hilarious.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/6/2020 3:47pm
Titane wrote:
soggy wrote:
Titane wrote:
Thanks man I did not realize
I mean, I talk about a guy who was racing like Eli for championship, it means minimize all problems possible
Hand guards can also cause problems
kpiper
10/6/2020 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2020 4:03pm
kpiper wrote:

Yup - all-new gizmo: The team has wired the lever to deliver a painful electric shock after a pre-determined pull count. That's why Eli's lap speeds...

See! I knew someone out there had the inside story. Too good.

He got shocked and almost stopped for a moment until he figured out what happened. Kind of like the electric dog fence.

Post a reply to: Tomac Clutch Problem?

The Latest