To sum up Reed - great read and very true.

life_of_jaze
JT nailed it.

RacerX -

THOMAS: I know you said no waffling but man, this is tough. When push comes to shove, I think Chad's ability to not only stay relevant, but to repeatedly reinvent himself and rise to the very top of whatever era he was. In 2003, he had to find a way to deal with Ricky Carmichael and by the end of 2003, he did just that, winning the final six SX races. Over the next few years, he struggled with the juggernaut that was James Stewart but through those struggles, gave us some of the most intense battles in the sport's history. Then after 2010 he went back to the drawing board and re-introduced himself with his own team, TwoTwo Motorsports, in 2011. Those 2011 and 2012 seasons saw a rejuvenated, improved Chad Reed. He was able to take the fight to the new era, Ryan Dungey and Ryan Villopoto. Injuries would interrupt championship runs in those seasons but Reed wasn't quite done yet, even 10 years into his American jaunt. In 2014 and 2015, he would switch to Kawasaki and have to deal with yet more new guys, like Eli Tomac and Ken Roczen. His wins in 2014 and 2015 would dominate the headlines, shocking the sport yet again. So many comebacks, so many seasons, and yet here we sit. It's 2020 and he's coming off a top-ten finish at the age of 38! His biggest accomplishment? Proving everyone wrong over and over. He truly feeds off of his ability to defy the odds. For that reason alone, I refuse to bet against the 22.

Never bet against Chad MF Reed.
|
crowe176
7/2/2020 2:00pm
Has anyone ever wondered “what if Chad worked with Aldon?“
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/2/2020 2:06pm
crowe176 wrote:
No, because he would have retired years ago had he worked with Aldon.
APLMAN99
7/2/2020 3:27pm
I think that there's room for those of us who appreciate Chad's extreme talent and performance on the track, but generally don't care for his drama queen style social media persona.

There's no denying that he's probably one of the greatest racers here in the States with the 3 National level championships or less. And he'd likely have more if he didn't have the competition that he had. But that could also be said about many racers.

It's his persona that seems to divide people in their opinions about him, not his ability or performance.

The Shop

mattdavison
Fantasy
4058th
7/2/2020 6:07pm
Im an Aussie so I love the guy and I also do appreciate his attitude at times has divided fans but has there ever been anyone who has....

Won an AMA 450 outdoor title
Won a AMA SX title in 250 and 450?
Won a world MXGP round
Won a race at the Des nations
Finished on the overall podium at the Des nations?

Plus all the other championship podiums, overseas SX wins and whatever else I've forgot.

Not pissing in his pocket to much, an actual serious question.
stonerb
7/2/2020 6:42pm
Im an Aussie so I love the guy and I also do appreciate his attitude at times has divided fans but has there ever been anyone...
Im an Aussie so I love the guy and I also do appreciate his attitude at times has divided fans but has there ever been anyone who has....

Won a world MXGP round

Plus all the other championship podiums, overseas SX wins and whatever else I've forgot.

I think villopoto has that list covered.
mattdavison
Fantasy
4058th
7/2/2020 7:20pm
Im an Aussie so I love the guy and I also do appreciate his attitude at times has divided fans but has there ever been anyone...

Won a world MXGP round

stonerb wrote:
yep, very very good point!
life_of_jaze
7/3/2020 12:14pm
crowe176 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No, because he would have retired years ago had he worked with Aldon.
Chad knows what dedication it takes to win.
VetMX.com
7/3/2020 1:03pm
Left off the oldest to ever qualify and finish in the top 10 of a SX race.
Sideways
7/4/2020 12:35am

Won a world MXGP round

Roczen "only" misses the 450sx championship on that list. But he can add some to that list aswell.
rileymx
7/4/2020 1:48am
crowe176 wrote:
only american fans would do that !!!!!!!
Dougy1
7/4/2020 4:07am

Won a world MXGP round

stonerb wrote:
Except villo didn’t travel to the other side of the world at 18 for 30 years with his then 18 year old girl friend to achieve his dreams!
Different path’s different journey’s .....both legends
toroP
7/4/2020 10:19am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2020 10:51am
I’m watching Indy car, and they’re talking about Scott Dixon being old at 40.
It puts Chad’s stellar career in perspective.

Edit: Actually, Dixon is 2 weeks short of 40.
thewrizzle
7/4/2020 12:23pm

Won a world MXGP round

stonerb wrote:
Dougy1 wrote:
Except villo didn’t travel to the other side of the world at 18 for 30 years with his then 18 year old girl friend to achieve...
Except villo didn’t travel to the other side of the world at 18 for 30 years with his then 18 year old girl friend to achieve his dreams!
I’m pretty sure Chad Reed didn’t travel overseas with his 18 year old girlfriend for 30 years either.

There was a question asked and answered, somehow you felt it was worth comparing the paths?
CPR
7/4/2020 7:26pm
stonerb wrote:
Dougy1 wrote:
Except villo didn’t travel to the other side of the world at 18 for 30 years with his then 18 year old girl friend to achieve...
thewrizzle wrote:
I’m pretty sure Chad Reed didn’t travel overseas with his 18 year old girlfriend for 30 years either. There was a question asked and answered, somehow...
I’m pretty sure Chad Reed didn’t travel overseas with his 18 year old girlfriend for 30 years either.

There was a question asked and answered, somehow you felt it was worth comparing the paths?
Reed’s background only makes his achievements even more remarkable and cannot be understated.
thewrizzle
7/4/2020 11:16pm
Dougy1 wrote:
thewrizzle wrote:
I’m pretty sure Chad Reed didn’t travel overseas with his 18 year old girlfriend for 30 years either. There was a question asked and answered, somehow...

CPR wrote:
Reed’s background only makes his achievements even more remarkable and cannot be understated.
Why do the Aussies always have to chime in and make it seem like Reed beat some insurmountable odds to achieve anything. At the same time degrade someone else’s accomplishments.

Reed won 3 major titles, RV won 8. Was Reeds journey 3 times more difficult than Villipotos? No one was downplaying what Reed accomplished but for some reason it seems like people are doing that to the others.
Crush
7/5/2020 12:46am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 5:24am
thewrizzle wrote:

CPR wrote:
thewrizzle wrote:
Why do the Aussies always have to chime in and make it seem like Reed beat some insurmountable odds to achieve anything. At the same time...
Why do the Aussies always have to chime in and make it seem like Reed beat some insurmountable odds to achieve anything. At the same time degrade someone else’s accomplishments.

Reed won 3 major titles, RV won 8. Was Reeds journey 3 times more difficult than Villipotos? No one was downplaying what Reed accomplished but for some reason it seems like people are doing that to the others.
Because at 18 they left, did it themselves, snd somehow didn’t implode against guys who were doing everything in their own backyard with support systems and family. How much did you see Rv’s Dad, Big James And Sonya, Jeannie and Big Rick, Mr Wey, Frank Thomas etc at the races? Hell even Langston and Dv’s olds were around. You think Chad and Ellie wouldn’t have liked a sounding block.

If you had any idea how far away We are, how small the sport is here, how much travel you have to go for a shitty local race, let alone any level of comp as a junior. They were poor and from a tiny town, no real bike support like you guys have.... And it wasn’t like there were a bunch of international fast guys to check his speed and learn against.

I can’t stress enough how big an issue the comp is. He wasn’t winning GPs the second he got to Europe. He somehow managed to adapt and up his pace race by race, year on year in new environments, from winning on a tennis court in 2000 against guys who never sniffed much more than a top 15, maybe 10 at a major international to beating RC harder than anyone ever did or would in 2003. That’s beyond fuckin crazy.

No one is putting RV down. A list of accomplishments was put fourth. Two guys tick it. Dougy just pointed out the obstacles Chad had to pass to get near the list. And if the odds weren’t near insurmountable, how come every cunt hasn’t done it?
colonel
7/5/2020 4:31am
crowe176 wrote:
Have you wondered what if Aldon worked with Chad?" think of it, it would be great for Aldon to take a champion and make him a champion. Oh wait.
CPR
7/5/2020 5:14am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 5:16am
CPR wrote:
thewrizzle wrote:
Why do the Aussies always have to chime in and make it seem like Reed beat some insurmountable odds to achieve anything. At the same time...

Crush wrote:
Because at 18 they left, did it themselves, snd somehow didn’t implode against guys who were doing everything in their own backyard with support systems and...
Because at 18 they left, did it themselves, snd somehow didn’t implode against guys who were doing everything in their own backyard with support systems and family. How much did you see Rv’s Dad, Big James And Sonya, Jeannie and Big Rick, Mr Wey, Frank Thomas etc at the races? Hell even Langston and Dv’s olds were around. You think Chad and Ellie wouldn’t have liked a sounding block.

If you had any idea how far away We are, how small the sport is here, how much travel you have to go for a shitty local race, let alone any level of comp as a junior. They were poor and from a tiny town, no real bike support like you guys have.... And it wasn’t like there were a bunch of international fast guys to check his speed and learn against.

I can’t stress enough how big an issue the comp is. He wasn’t winning GPs the second he got to Europe. He somehow managed to adapt and up his pace race by race, year on year in new environments, from winning on a tennis court in 2000 against guys who never sniffed much more than a top 15, maybe 10 at a major international to beating RC harder than anyone ever did or would in 2003. That’s beyond fuckin crazy.

No one is putting RV down. A list of accomplishments was put fourth. Two guys tick it. Dougy just pointed out the obstacles Chad had to pass to get near the list. And if the odds weren’t near insurmountable, how come every cunt hasn’t done it?
Thank you Crush, nailed it 👍
7/5/2020 4:28pm
Chad,s only 38, some athletes still have much more ability,than average joe. At 38 it,s possible to run a 10.48 in the 100. A drop of .48 in 20 yrs. John Dowd didn,t he podium at 44 yrs old. Last National at 46. Chad can keep racing a couple more yrs. The sprint speed will not last as long Tho.
bsharkey
7/5/2020 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 4:56pm
crowe176 wrote:
Aldon burns guys out. All his riders have retired early. Every dang one. I think chad will be the last of guys gritting it out for years( after 30). Theres a few left but I dont see that happening anymore
Especially with the training regimen these guys have now
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
7/6/2020 4:41pm
Not to discount his career.. but it appeared the racing equipment he was riding was a big factor compared to other riders in his success IMO.
Crush
7/6/2020 5:50pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
Not to discount his career.. but it appeared the racing equipment he was riding was a big factor compared to other riders in his success IMO.
He did get the shitty end of the stick a few times there.

I’d have loved to see how the 05 season plays out if he either doesn’t get forced on to the Yz Ali frame, or he signed the deal with Suzuki.

He didn’t adapt as quickly to the four strokes, but the Yamahas went from curve makers to behind pretty quick. Probably didn’t help. He was way more competitive in with James 2008 at the first couple races compared to 06/07 where he wasn’t close... and then 09 if he had decent starts it could have easily gone the other way.

Honda went from maybe his favorite bike to least with the chassis and Shows air suspension in 2013. Barcia And Chad seemingly left because of that. Once Trey got KYB his results flipped.
CPR
7/7/2020 12:44am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Please explain?

Post a reply to: To sum up Reed - great read and very true.

The Latest