To buy, or not to buy. I need opinions

r.sal923
3/15/2018 11:20am
I have a 14, yz450 with 30 hrs on it. Picked it up new, as I have done with all my bikes. Except 1 bike I got used, it needed more work than I was willing to put in for the amount I ride. I will say that at 35 years old and I can afford a new bike, I am not going to the track 5 times a year on a clapped out bike that I saved 4 grand on.
OldnBroken
3/15/2018 3:10pm
r.sal923 wrote:
I have a 14, yz450 with 30 hrs on it. Picked it up new, as I have done with all my bikes. Except 1 bike I...
I have a 14, yz450 with 30 hrs on it. Picked it up new, as I have done with all my bikes. Except 1 bike I got used, it needed more work than I was willing to put in for the amount I ride. I will say that at 35 years old and I can afford a new bike, I am not going to the track 5 times a year on a clapped out bike that I saved 4 grand on.
Yes, I agree. I'm 36 and in a Dual Income No Kids situation (other than myself) that we don't plan on changing, so I like to have nicer things. I have had a couple of older two-strokes in the past couple of years, and ridden them a few times but it just wasn't the same. I didn't take the bike seriously (though I SHOULD have! It's not like my abilities are limited by a CR250!), but the heart wants what it wants - and that is a Fuel Injected 450!
BobKerr
3/15/2018 5:15pm
Buy a 250 2 smoke and ride.
kawiX522
3/15/2018 5:26pm
the feeling of a brand new bike is like no other, send ittt. life is way too short.

The Shop

Pirate421
3/15/2018 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2018 5:45pm
Get it no question. You said it yourself the heart wants what it wants, nothing like a brand new bike. I just bought a new yz250 two weeks ago. Could I have bought the same bike that was a year or two old and had low hours? Sure I could. I’ve done that before and have been burned more than I’d like to admit. I’ll buy used trucks and other equipment but the sheer abuse a dirtbike can take in a just a few hours in the wrong hands is something I don’t play with anymore. I’m ocd about my bikes and idc who owned before me it will never feel the same as brand new to me so it’s worth a few hundred bucks to spring for new.
3/15/2018 6:30pm
Buy it...KTM big bikes are works are art...just dam beautiful...if you do nothing but look at that spectacular piece....it will be worth the price.
Remember.....this is not dress rehearsal....its our one and only shot.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
3/15/2018 6:57pm
I’ll probably be Debbie Downer, but that seems like a lottttt of money for a left over ‘17. I would guess you could save $1000s from finding left over 16s or even 15s.
nytsmaC
3/15/2018 7:11pm
burn1986 wrote:
I’ll probably be Debbie Downer, but that seems like a lottttt of money for a left over ‘17. I would guess you could save $1000s from...
I’ll probably be Debbie Downer, but that seems like a lottttt of money for a left over ‘17. I would guess you could save $1000s from finding left over 16s or even 15s.
Canadian money, roughly $7200USD.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
3/16/2018 11:38am
nytsmaC wrote:
Ohhh, copy that. Hmm, if money is no issue, I would buy it. If it was me, I would look around for a slightly older, left over model.
mmain62
3/16/2018 11:54am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 11:55am
I think I can speak for a few on here in saying "If my wife would let me , I would buy a new bike today." That being said if you can afford it don't hesitate man. Hell I bought a 1 owner 12' 350sxf last year and absolutely love that thing and its not even the fast 350 like todays are. On a brand note. I have had Yamaha, Honda , and Kawasaki 2 and 4 strokes in all of them and when I got the KTM and felt the quality of the brakes and the E start I swore I would never go back. Post pics after the purchase PLZ
OldnBroken
3/16/2018 11:54am
nytsmaC wrote:
burn1986 wrote:
Ohhh, copy that. Hmm, if money is no issue, I would buy it. If it was me, I would look around for a slightly older, left...
Ohhh, copy that. Hmm, if money is no issue, I would buy it. If it was me, I would look around for a slightly older, left over model.
I have actually been looking for older left over units, however, I don't really want to go too far back. A 2016 would be the oldest I think I'd want. But I haven't had much luck finding anything that is local or even regionally available. I would certainly rather pay less! haha
three9zero
3/16/2018 12:06pm
OldnBroken wrote:
Hello all, Hope this deoesnt end up in the dumbgeon, but I thought I would appeal to fellow riders for an opinion. I have been off...
Hello all,

Hope this deoesnt end up in the dumbgeon, but I thought I would appeal to fellow riders for an opinion. I have been off the bike now for about four years, and, living in Canada, haven't been able to watch supercross for a few of those. I've gotten into other hobbies such as road cycling, running, and triathlon, so it's not like I've been sitting around. The bug has got me a bit, after watching this stellar season of supercross, and I am considering buying a left over 17 450 SXF. I rode one at a demo day and loved it, so my mind is mostly made up that this would be the bike if I buy one. My question is this: what are your opinions on how much riding justifies owning a brand new bike? I don't know how often I will ride it, but I want one all the same ?. I know this is a personal decision, but I can afford it to buy it, and life is short, right? But it's still 10,000 bucks! And I am not concerned with buying a 450 - I had one for years prior to my break, and I love them. What would you do???
If this is Mike R you should get the new bike...........I can tell you that after a long moto/riding session, I like the 350 more though, softer hit but less fatiguing to ride. I have tried to save money buying used many times and regretted it, starting fresh is the way to go if you are fussy like I am.

Lucas@RTR

Lastander
3/16/2018 12:58pm
7200$ sounds expensive, arent brand new RMZ450s being sold for that or less?
xr70
3/16/2018 4:21pm
OldnBroken wrote:
Hello all, Hope this deoesnt end up in the dumbgeon, but I thought I would appeal to fellow riders for an opinion. I have been off...
Hello all,

Hope this deoesnt end up in the dumbgeon, but I thought I would appeal to fellow riders for an opinion. I have been off the bike now for about four years, and, living in Canada, haven't been able to watch supercross for a few of those. I've gotten into other hobbies such as road cycling, running, and triathlon, so it's not like I've been sitting around. The bug has got me a bit, after watching this stellar season of supercross, and I am considering buying a left over 17 450 SXF. I rode one at a demo day and loved it, so my mind is mostly made up that this would be the bike if I buy one. My question is this: what are your opinions on how much riding justifies owning a brand new bike? I don't know how often I will ride it, but I want one all the same ?. I know this is a personal decision, but I can afford it to buy it, and life is short, right? But it's still 10,000 bucks! And I am not concerned with buying a 450 - I had one for years prior to my break, and I love them. What would you do???
Great idea, go for it . KTM IS THE SHIT ,

OldnBroken
3/16/2018 5:59pm
Xr70: is that yours? What year? What were the circumstances of this? I'm guessing if they were all breaking KTM would have a bit of a problem on their hands.
Fracture
3/16/2018 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 7:30pm
I've been riding bikes my whole life and just recently got interested in actually fixing them.. I used to want brand new (or as close as possible).. but now I've seen a new light. You can buy a used project bike and completely customize it to be much more superior than it's stock OEM counterpart and still save money. Not to mention the satisfaction of knowing your machine inside and out, riding something you built yourself. It's gratifying. However I ride smokers which are much easier to work on and much cheaper.. I also haven't kept up with KTM.. I know they got some fancy new stuff these days like hydraulic self-adjusting clutch technology. Still.. I would much sooner hand that 10G's over to a shop and have them coordinate my custom build than buy it new from a dealer.. just makes more sense in my head. At the end of the day, riding for fun is a hobby. It's an expense; not an investment.. so if you're gonna do it, why not go balls to the walls and go CUSTOM! Smile
Robbie
3/16/2018 8:24pm
I purchased a 17 450sxf last year after a 13 year hiatus, the last bike I raced was a 04 CRF 450. I was amazed at how more advanced the sxf feels in power and weight. Buy the bike. No hesitations. I shamefully have only used mine for low hours due to work and weather, but knowing I have an excellent bike in the garage ready to ride has drawn my interest back in the sport and has me trawling this forum daily. Geezers need excitement. Buy the bike
xr70
3/16/2018 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 9:26pm
OldnBroken wrote:
Xr70: is that yours? What year? What were the circumstances of this? I'm guessing if they were all breaking KTM would have a bit of a...
Xr70: is that yours? What year? What were the circumstances of this? I'm guessing if they were all breaking KTM would have a bit of a problem on their hands.
That was my best buds 17 KTM. Three of us at the track had KTM's. I had a 16, my other friend had a 16 also. The one that broke in half was a 17. After that happened, we all checked our frames and my buddy's 16 was broken in 4 places also. Mine was the only one that wasn't cracked. I sold my bike the same week. On top of that, on all of ours bike, the fuel pumps went out at near 30 hours and I had a wiring problem on mine. We all had to buy new batteries because the stock batteries are shit. The fuel pump on my bike shut off on the face of a jump, the bike nearly killed me. Whole bunch of others things that I can't even remember right now. If you really want to buy a KTM, I would recommend 18 1/2 or a 19 with the newer version of the frame. When I looked at my buddies frame, I was really surprised. It was thin like a coke can. I don't think it's worth it to save a couple pounds of weight. KTM's have more problems then people really think. It's just an illusion. I dont think it's any better than your average Japanese bike. It's a Volkswagen of motorcycles!
H4L
3/16/2018 9:54pm
I took a 10yr break and instantly regretting buying a 17 ktm 450. 2wks later I bought a 17 ktm 350. Absolute best motor hands down...
I took a 10yr break and instantly regretting buying a 17 ktm 450. 2wks later I bought a 17 ktm 350. Absolute best motor hands down imo. However I couldn’t get used to the euro ergonomics. Ended up with an 18 crf250.

My point is, ride as many as you can to make sure you feel comfortable with the power and egronomics. Don’t let ego or a particular brand’s kool-aid get in the way of YOUR decision and what’s best for YOU.
+2 on the ergos of the euro bikes. I also didn't like the handling & feel of the euro vs. the Japenesse brands.
Test rode a 17 1/2 KTM450sxf FE last summer & wasn't impressed. Besides the brakes or clutch I couldn't see what the fuss was on the Euro bikes.
I was in the market for a new bike last year & glad I test rode a few before buying.
I felt the CRF & YZF were better packages as a whole in comparison.
OldnBroken
3/27/2018 10:44am
Update: Bike has been purchased. The one at my local dealer sold so I had to hunt one down from out of town. Should be here Thursday!!!! Photo to come.
ob
3/27/2018 11:06am
Of course you should, jeez

Post a reply to: To buy, or not to buy. I need opinions

The Latest