To The Aussies... Dean Ferris?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2018 8:13 AM

Dean is dominating the MX Nationals so far. How does he compare to other guys at the top of their game in other championships (Herlings, Tomac).

I've only watched a couple of MX Nationals motos (One can only watch so many races before having to file for divorce!), and, boy is he fast. He finished 7th last year @ High Point, but he seems quicker now... and a single race is no parameter.

|

5/22/2018 8:22 AM

No offense to the other competitors in the aussie MX Nationals, but Ferris is on another level from that series - so it's not too much of a barometer in my opinion...

Now, his throw down at High Point last year - THATS showing something, even for it being one race... and wasn't he sick as hell or something that day?? But even still, I don't think he's anywhere close to being deserving of mentioned on the level of a Tomac, Herlings, AC222 etc. I'd put him more in line with the Weston Peick and Christian Craigs of the world.... for now, at least...

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

5/22/2018 8:44 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

No offense to the other competitors in the aussie MX Nationals, but Ferris is on another level from that series - so it's not ...more

He finished second on Moto 1 @ High Point, just behind Bagget...

F150 you make exactly the point, it IS hard to compare Dean while he's on another league on his own down under.

|

5/22/2018 9:08 AM

estebanglas wrote:

Dean is dominating the MX Nationals so far. How does he compare to other guys at the top of their game in other championships ...more

I am an Aussie and trust me when I say he would get smoked in the US. Reed has been the only Aussie to ever SERIOUSLY make an impact in the US...

|

5/22/2018 9:35 AM

I think he would normally be around 5th-8th with a few podiums. He's really good. I don't understand why he's not racing in the United States or the GP's. Anyone know why?

|

5/22/2018 10:13 AM

agn5009 wrote:

I think he would normally be around 5th-8th with a few podiums. He's really good. I don't understand why he's not racing in ...more

KTM tried to bring him stateside before (he was in the GPs), injuries dampened that, so they sent him back to GPs for Husky...more injuries...ended up back down under.

|

5/22/2018 10:33 AM

He had factory/semi-factory rides in GP's, and did pretty good but not enough to get another contract.

2013 MX2 Monster Energy Yamaah - 6th overall with 3 moto wins
2015 MXGP Wilvo Husqvarna - 11th overall, 4 top 5 finishes, no podium

Imo if this was the 80's with 3 classes imo he'd have a factory GP ride or at least would be making decent money as a semi-privateer. However with just a couple of good rides available being a borderline top 10 GC guy isn't enough to have a long career in MXGP.

|

5/22/2018 12:38 PM

I don't think a major team in the USA would hire him unless he were to dominate the Australian supercross series, he hasn't got close to doing that...He announced early this year that he wouldn't be available for our MXON team due to the conflict with our sx series. I guess he's planning a big effort to win it this year....
If he were to win every Moto in the MX nationals this year ( quite possible ) and go on to win the sx championship also, he might well get a decent ride in the USA for 2019.
In a way I hope he doesn't ....I can see it now...does all of the above then gets injured practicing before Anaheim 1.
I'm less and less of a supercross fan everyday ...I hope he just sticks to motocross , but il be cheering for the bloke regardless !

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

5/22/2018 1:09 PM

No doubt he could be a great fill in rider during the outdoors.

The list of riders who managed to get a podium (actually 1 out of 2 motos, so with a 50% stats!) in the nationals is not that long !

|

5/22/2018 1:27 PM

PJRAUS wrote:

I don't think a major team in the USA would hire him unless he were to dominate the Australian supercross series, he hasn't ...more

Do you think he's performing at a higher level than previous years?

|

5/22/2018 3:20 PM

agn5009 wrote:

I think he would normally be around 5th-8th with a few podiums. He's really good. I don't understand why he's not racing in ...more

ML512 wrote:

KTM tried to bring him stateside before (he was in the GPs), injuries dampened that, so they sent him back to GPs for ...more

There is an opening at KTM right now

|

5/22/2018 3:34 PM

New kid a baby on the way loving life and Dacka from what i’ve Heard pays very well so the incentive to go overseas at the moment MAY? Not be there. Dean has upped his game from last year as well. He is like Tomac in a sense where at the 15min mark he puts the hammer down and rarely makes mistakes. I’d have a guess top 3-7 in either series.

|

5/22/2018 3:42 PM

I've heard that ferris resigned to CDR for around $350k, which is great to be home with your missus and kid every night. He has been overseas and had a really good crack at it, I would think he is now content with putting away good money and creating a legacy in australia as well as trying to get a supercross title.

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

5/22/2018 3:52 PM

PJRAUS wrote:

I don't think a major team in the USA would hire him unless he were to dominate the Australian supercross series, he hasn't ...more

estebanglas wrote:

Do you think he's performing at a higher level than previous years?

Just my uneducated opinion , but yes!

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

5/22/2018 5:04 PM

He literally just got 2nd in a AMA moto and his MXdN results are always good. He could easily be a better than average 2nd rider on a US factory team for MX, but in SX he's a liability for that ride. PJ is right, he'd need to dominate SX before he'd be considered.

BUT, if he's signed for 350K, which seems farking crazy too me, I've not heard that money in Aus before, then fuck that, stay at home with the Wife and kids... 350K living in north NSW? That's like 600K elsewhere haha

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/22/2018 5:14 PM

Crush wrote:

He literally just got 2nd in a AMA moto and his MXdN results are always good. He could easily be a better than average 2nd ...more

Not sure whether that includes gear deal or not.

That money is pretty much buying you a national title though and he is head and shoulders above the rest. I think everyone else pay would be much much lower around the 50-130k mark.

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

5/22/2018 5:19 PM

I'd love to see him go overseas and give it another crack. But if that money is anywhere near right he'd be an idiot if he did.

He's definitely on another level this year than previously and the talent has thinned out quite a bit locally here also, I dont see anybody with the potential to beat him straight up at any point this year.

Waters will be a good barometer of how fast he is going. Waters could barely keep Dean in site most of last year, if he top 10's the GP's then Ferris would have to be top 5ish in my opinion. Where top 5 GP's stacks up in the US is anybodies guess. But he was podium level last year so there is that.

|

5/22/2018 5:25 PM

there is mid season break after this weekend for a month, Yamaha should ask him over again for a round or two

|

5/22/2018 5:39 PM

Stoop wrote:

there is mid season break after this weekend for a month, Yamaha should ask him over again for a round or two

Why risk a title for nothing?
If im Yamaha australia I wouldn't let him go and instead focus on sx testing.

|

5/22/2018 5:56 PM

Stoop wrote:

Aussie_power_sports wrote:

Yeha I think Yamaha is a bit more global than some of the other brands too... as in they talk too each other. They're not risking Peter to pay Paul.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/22/2018 6:01 PM

Stoop wrote:

He was in the exact same situation last year, what’s different?

|

5/22/2018 6:12 PM

Stoop wrote:

Deans already proved himself stateside with last years result. Why risk tarnishing it especially with the cost involved in him going over for 1 round.

He has a perfect season so far and has already opted out of mxdn to concentrate on supercross.

Ask yourself this? Would you work for free for a weekend with no realistic opportunities coming from it?

|

5/22/2018 7:27 PM

Crush wrote:

He literally just got 2nd in a AMA moto and his MXdN results are always good. He could easily be a better than average 2nd ...more

Not sure whether that includes gear deal or not.

That money is pretty much buying you a national title though and he is head ...more

Who's be on 50k-130k here?

Gibbs and Metty that's it. The rest would be low income earners. It's a joke

|

5/22/2018 7:40 PM

Stoop wrote:

Deans already proved himself stateside with last years result. Why risk tarnishing it especially with the cost involved in him ...more

Who says there is no realistic opportunities to come from it? you? If he wants to be a modern day Jay Marmont and stay home and rack up titles fair enough, if he wants get back to racing in the best series in the world why wouldn’t you go over and prove yourself again if the opportunity was there

|

5/22/2018 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2018 7:50 PM

Stoop wrote:

Who says there is no realistic opportunities to come from it? you? If he wants to be a modern day Jay Marmont and stay home ...more

I'd say given his lack of supercross results in australia or overseas is the major hiccup. If he had even a little bit of supercross form he might be a viable option for alot of teams.

Think about all the guys already in the us that are currently doubtful of having a ride next year. I'm talking Seely, Bogle, Savatgy, Nicoletti, Weimer, Wilson etc. etc. These are guys with similar capabilities outdoors and significantly more runs on the board indoors than Ferris.

If you're Dean do you really give up the comfort of home, guaranteed money, likelihood of championships and presumably more opportunities post racing to throw your hat in the ring in america? Lets be real, he's not going to get 300k off any american team

|

5/22/2018 8:01 PM

Stoop wrote:

Who says there is no realistic opportunities to come from it? you? If he wants to be a modern day Jay Marmont and stay home ...more

Well if anyone from overseas was going to sign him it would of happened after last years result when he was a free agent. The deals obviously weren't good enough, so what makes you think another trip over would get him a ride?

He locked with CDR till the end of 2019 and is making good money at home with his young family. So If he is going to go and do a bunch of free races and lose money it would be next year when its closer to deal time.

If mx results were enough for a good USA contract filthy Phil would be signed full time for outdoors.

|

5/22/2018 8:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2018 8:08 PM

Jrewing wrote:

Who's be on 50k-130k here?

Gibbs and Metty that's it. The rest would be low income earners. It's a joke

Yeah good point. I think i remember reading that Serco yamaha guys used to sign for $25k for lites class. I dont see many of the 250 guys earning a living and i've heard that a fee of them are paying for rides.

Ferris might have been 350 for 2 years.

|

5/23/2018 3:15 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

No offense to the other competitors in the aussie MX Nationals, but Ferris is on another level from that series - so it's not ...more

No way. Far more talent then Peick

|

5/23/2018 4:05 AM

Stoop wrote:

Last year it cost him a shit load, got a fairly dream result and got him fuck all haha.. From what I've heard though he is keen to go back over in the break but will only do it if he can get a team bike over there to put his suspension on

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

5/23/2018 4:06 AM

Dougy1 wrote:

No way. Far more talent then Peick

Peick did catch the current SX champ in that second moto and was as good as anyone on track at Hangtown bar Tomac and Marvin, maybe just throw Barcia as a slight step above the rest he did go 3-3

I would think Dean would slide right in around the Barcia to Peick group, I think you might be underestimating how good Peick is and has been all this year.

Dean is not bad at SX, he did finish second to Brayton two years ago and from memory was the only rider to take a win from Brayton that season after catching and passing his team-mate that year, Dan Reardon, another very handy SX rider.

Not quoting your post on this obviously, but for those who think there is no other talent in MX1 this year, that is a bit Harsh, Gibbs was pretty dam handy at MXoN last year for us and Metty is world class, just things not going his way. I would put Dean at the best he has been at, would be really interesting to see where he would have fitted in at Hangtown, my bet would have been a top 3-5 finish overall. Aint no one catching Tomac and Marv on the weekend, well apart from maybe Herlings HA.

Think the next Aussie other than Lawerence and Beaton who is doing well in MX2 in the GP's is Mitch Evans, Young and was able to hang with Ferris for quite a bit of time on the weekend.

|