To Hell and Back [Ken Roczen]

twotwosix
10/30/2017 9:56am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2017 8:56pm
If you haven't read this Transworld MX article in it's entirety, click on over to TWMX:

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/ken-roczen-to-hell-and-back/

"As severe as the crash was, it was what unfolded in the hours following that proved to be the biggest challenge of all. He was transported to a nearby hospital for a night of chaos and pain. "It was a fucking nightmare. My fingers were numb and everything, and two of my wrist bones were compounded out," Roczen said. "I'm in the hospital and they're trying to get my elbow back in place and they're pulling on it and I'm screaming. They ended up giving me something [pain medication], and that was the gnarliest ride that I've had in my entire life. I had noodle arms and I wasn't mentally there. I literally thought, 'Am I dead?' I was full on-spaced out and it was the gnarliest thing. I remember waking up thinking, 'What was that?''

|
logan_140
10/30/2017 10:15am
Man dungey is such a good dude, always checked in on Kroc and wouldn’t expect anything less then that from dunge. That was a gnarly story.
jk367
10/30/2017 10:26am
Yeah that made me a fan of dunge. That’s a pretty bad ass thing to do. Good dude for sure. I really hope Kroc comes back better than ever
kiwifan
10/30/2017 11:57am
One hell of a great story....!!
Mit12
10/30/2017 12:45pm
I am glad that Roczens are will let him have a normal life, it will be icing on the cake if he can be competitive again. I wish him well.

The Shop

yz133rider
10/30/2017 12:57pm
Anyone think roczens injury is overblown and hyped compared to other riders? I've read comments this will be the greatest come back ever. All sorts of fan boy comments.

Milsaps has had a laundry list of injuries
Pourcel broke his back, his neck, more than once
Canard broke everything every damn season and kept coming back
Doug Henry
And dozens more examples.

I get that kens arm is bad, very bad, but it's his arm.
JRT812
10/30/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2017 1:20pm
yz133rider wrote:
Anyone think roczens injury is overblown and hyped compared to other riders? I've read comments this will be the greatest come back ever. All sorts of...
Anyone think roczens injury is overblown and hyped compared to other riders? I've read comments this will be the greatest come back ever. All sorts of fan boy comments.

Doug Henry

First, great article. Secondly, people do not need to compare injuries and should just be pumped for Ken that he is mentally/physically improving.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
10/30/2017 1:04pm
yz133rider wrote:
Anyone think roczens injury is overblown and hyped compared to other riders? I've read comments this will be the greatest come back ever. All sorts of...

Doug Henry

In my opinion, there is no need to compare. This sport is brutal.
yz133rider
10/30/2017 1:18pm
yz133rider wrote:

Doug Henry

731chopper wrote:
I agree this sport is brutal. He is a top elite rider, was on top of his game, barely even made a mistake and massive injury. I think that says something about track design. Absolutely no room for error. I don't like the direction for the sport, but what do I know.
Acidreamer
10/30/2017 1:21pm
yz133rider wrote:

Doug Henry

731chopper wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
I agree this sport is brutal. He is a top elite rider, was on top of his game, barely even made a mistake and massive injury...
I agree this sport is brutal. He is a top elite rider, was on top of his game, barely even made a mistake and massive injury. I think that says something about track design. Absolutely no room for error. I don't like the direction for the sport, but what do I know.
He said a kicker got him. Nothing but track prep would have fixed that.
twotwosix
10/30/2017 3:00pm
yz133rider wrote:

Doug Henry

Yes and No. Many riders have had serious injuries too, but possible amputation on a limb is pretty serious. I think that anytime you are comparing injuries, Paralyztion, Amputation and potential Death are the big ones that make for the most incredible comeback stories.
10/30/2017 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2017 3:05pm
This is definitely one of the biggest stories I’m looking forward to going into 2018.

I know a lot of us, me included, would probably sell the bike and maybe take up bingo or something for a new hobby, after a wreck and injury like he sustained.

Hope to see this guy get some trophies this year.
JRT812
10/30/2017 3:09pm
This is definitely one of the biggest stories I’m looking forward to going into 2018. I know a lot of us, me included, would probably sell...
This is definitely one of the biggest stories I’m looking forward to going into 2018.

I know a lot of us, me included, would probably sell the bike and maybe take up bingo or something for a new hobby, after a wreck and injury like he sustained.

That is the part that I am most impressed with. The ability to put the moment in the back of his mind and want to ride at that speed again.
Zycki11
10/30/2017 3:59pm
This is definitely one of the biggest stories I’m looking forward to going into 2018. I know a lot of us, me included, would probably sell...

JRT812 wrote:
That is the part that I am most impressed with. The ability to put the moment in the back of his mind and want to ride...
That is the part that I am most impressed with. The ability to put the moment in the back of his mind and want to ride at that speed again.
IMO I think it is awesome he is capable of doing such a thing. Specifically the constant hard work and effort put into himself. Then again, this shows who you are and I feel it is much easier to fight with your back up against the wall. I am a huge KR fan and hope he puts a whoopn on everyone.
FARANG
10/30/2017 5:24pm
That was an awesome read. So good to hear that he's back on the bike, sounds like there were some dark moments the last few months.

Also great to hear about Dungey. Not surprising to be honest, he's always seemed like a really genuine guy.

Hope he makes A1. If he does, he'll be some way off the pace by the sounds of it but he'll be able to continue his recovery by gradually getting in the mix over the course of the season.

mark911
10/30/2017 7:03pm
I'm no trauma surgeon but I've got quite a bit of practical experience with joint fractures. Over the years I've managed to break my radial head (like KR), tibia plateau (like the Burner), and calcaneus, all joint injuries, all requiring surgery. However, I've NEVER had a normal break where a simple cast would have sufficed. My theory is that the length of my bones are simply stronger than the joints that connect them. It would be interesting to ask Kenny if he's ever broken a bone in the more typical sense.
Radman66
10/30/2017 7:10pm
Was never a big fan of his before but now I'm all in. I hope he kills it in '18. I witnessed the crash in person and the TV cameras don't do it justice, that was the scariest crash I've ever witnessed bar none. True bad ass. I bet he stadium will erupt when they introduce him in opening ceremonies at A1
Beeby
10/30/2017 8:56pm
If he comes out and wins A1, Ralph Sheheen is gonna blow a head gasket

Post a reply to: To Hell and Back [Ken Roczen]

The Latest