Tires

millus316
Edited Date/Time 5/2/2012 9:23pm
I think one of the most common upgrades anyone can do to their bike is Tire changes. Fresh meats on the bike are like a fresh pair of socks. They feel so good! Has anyone bought Pirelli's new redesigned tires? I believe they were MX Mid Hard 554. I have had their MX Extra tires and I did like them. Even I know there are tires that hook-up better. Like the Pirelli MXMS 32 rear tire has been one of the top rated tires for straight line hook-up. I am haveing a hard time deciding between the Pirelli MXMS 32's and the BridgeStone M404 Intermediate. Unless I find out that the Pirelli 554 is rated verry high. Then it would be either the 554 or the 404. I never had any luck with dunlop tires. After the first couple of rides they fade real quick. So please any info on tires would be welcome. So please if you are going to call me an IDIOT for posting this please don't reply. Thanks ISO
|
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
5/2/2012 8:23pm
I hand fondled a Pirelli the other day at the shop. It looked really good and was noticeably light ! I've seriously only owned two types of rear tires in the past few years. The pirelli sand tire and the bridgestone 404. IMO, the value of the 404 is going to be hard to beat. It wears like a hardpack tire but hooks up in almost all conditions very well in my experience. However, I am eager to try the Pirelli MX extra. I want to see if I can notice a difference in the weight, it's definitely a lot lighter than 404.

I've had no luck with Dunlops either, they loose their edge too quick for me to keep buying them.
millus316
5/2/2012 8:49pm
pCp 252 wrote:
I hand fondled a Pirelli the other day at the shop. It looked really good and was noticeably light ! I've seriously only owned two types...
I hand fondled a Pirelli the other day at the shop. It looked really good and was noticeably light ! I've seriously only owned two types of rear tires in the past few years. The pirelli sand tire and the bridgestone 404. IMO, the value of the 404 is going to be hard to beat. It wears like a hardpack tire but hooks up in almost all conditions very well in my experience. However, I am eager to try the Pirelli MX extra. I want to see if I can notice a difference in the weight, it's definitely a lot lighter than 404.

I've had no luck with Dunlops either, they loose their edge too quick for me to keep buying them.
The MX EXTRA I noticed will suddenly slide out on you and that includes the front. It holds up verry well. The straightline hook-up is average but predictable. The lean angles not so strong. The Pirelli MXMS 32 is the tire I always wanted to buy but haven't yet. I was always afraid of the reliability because of the tread pattern being so aggressive. As far as the Michelin tires like the S12 and the MS3. Well I just don't like the fact that their sizes are smaller. I have had a 130/70-19 S12 on my sons CR250 and it was more like a 110. Not to mention a pain to change like a low profile tire. I had to give my input on the Michelins even though they were not mentioned. I hope that was alright.
silver753
5/2/2012 9:23pm
pCp 252 wrote:
I hand fondled a Pirelli the other day at the shop. It looked really good and was noticeably light ! I've seriously only owned two types...

millus316 wrote:
The MX EXTRA I noticed will suddenly slide out on you and that includes the front. It holds up verry well. The straightline hook-up is average...
The MX EXTRA I noticed will suddenly slide out on you and that includes the front. It holds up verry well. The straightline hook-up is average but predictable. The lean angles not so strong. The Pirelli MXMS 32 is the tire I always wanted to buy but haven't yet. I was always afraid of the reliability because of the tread pattern being so aggressive. As far as the Michelin tires like the S12 and the MS3. Well I just don't like the fact that their sizes are smaller. I have had a 130/70-19 S12 on my sons CR250 and it was more like a 110. Not to mention a pain to change like a low profile tire. I had to give my input on the Michelins even though they were not mentioned. I hope that was alright.
Michelin M-12, S-12, and a couple other tires in their line are labeled a different size, but the same as other brands. Michelin 130/70-19" is a 110/90-19", the tires used to come with a little sticker for correct sizing. A 120/80-19" is a 100/90-19". I think I remember hearing that their car/truck tires use a different size listing, but the true size if different.

Post a reply to: Tires

The Latest