Tired of # plate graphics coming off

gavinmgrant
I’m tired of my boots catching the number plate graphic edge constantly. First ride on my brand new KTM 250F and my number plates graphics already ripping off. I don’t mind replacing graphics when they need to be replaced, just looking for any tips people have to prevent this.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/20/2019 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2019 3:19pm
There were a few options coming out until Decal Works came out with their patent. Probably never going to see the light of day.
GODZILLA
10/20/2019 3:31pm
If you look around, I think there are other options. There already was a topic about this a while ago.

The Shop

mxb2
10/20/2019 3:31pm
I’m tired of my boots catching the number plate graphic edge constantly. First ride on my brand new KTM 250F and my number plates graphics already...
I’m tired of my boots catching the number plate graphic edge constantly. First ride on my brand new KTM 250F and my number plates graphics already ripping off. I don’t mind replacing graphics when they need to be replaced, just looking for any tips people have to prevent this.
Trim the edges where the boots rub.
gavinmgrant
10/20/2019 3:33pm
I’m tired of my boots catching the number plate graphic edge constantly. First ride on my brand new KTM 250F and my number plates graphics already...
mxb2 wrote:
Pretty much where I'm at lol
mxb2
10/20/2019 3:40pm
mxb2 wrote:
Pretty much where I'm at lol
Its free and takes 10 minutes.
mxb2
10/20/2019 3:41pm
Some teams just cut out the # s and put them on. Not using a background.
GODZILLA
10/20/2019 4:04pm
Wonder how he's gonna get this black and blue without graphics.
Wink
motogrady
10/20/2019 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2019 4:10pm
Make sure the plate is clean.
Starting fluid and paper towel them down real well.
This gets all the film and or grease off the plate.
Let them dry for a few minutes.
Put the numbers on.
Get a hairdryer from your moms/girls/wife's bathroom.
Heat the numbers and plate, using the blow dryer in the hi heat mode, blowing on the numbers themselves.
Take your time, Move around the plate with the heat, try not to get one spot too hot.
Don't be an asshole and melt the plastic plate, but get it pretty effing hot.
The idea is to kinda almost melt the numbers into the plate.

Or, get a sheet of clear plastic laminate, the stuff they put on your drivers license.
Put the numbers on, cover the whole plate.
gavinmgrant
10/20/2019 5:01pm
motogrady wrote:
Make sure the plate is clean. Starting fluid and paper towel them down real well. This gets all the film and or grease off the plate...
Put the numbers on.
Heat the numbers and plate, using the blow dryer in the hi heat mode, blowing on the numbers themselves.
Take your time, Move around the plate with the heat, try not to get one spot too hot.

Or, get a sheet of clear plastic laminate, the stuff they put on your drivers license.
I followed those directions to a T when I put them on last week. That’s how I’ve always done it. Just that damn corner gets caught on everything
motogrady
10/20/2019 5:10pm
motogrady wrote:
Make sure the plate is clean. Starting fluid and paper towel them down real well. This gets all the film and or grease off the plate...
Put the numbers on.

I followed those directions to a T when I put them on last week. That’s how I’ve always done it. Just that damn corner gets caught...
I followed those directions to a T when I put them on last week. That’s how I’ve always done it. Just that damn corner gets caught on everything

I'm with you guy. It sucks when you try to keep your show clean and that kind of stuff happens.

Maybe the laminate plastic sheet.
Go way past or around the edge of what you're trying to protect.
I have no idea on where u could get it, but it must be available on Amazon or something.

I hear of students getting jacked up here in Morgantown now and then, fake ids are usually always laminated.

Got to be able to get it somewhere.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/20/2019 6:30pm
These will fix your problem....
2 sets of backgrounds will pay for them, not to mention the time to re-apply them. No brainer for me.
There’s a guy on here that was importing them, it’ll save you the international shipping costs.
10/20/2019 7:52pm
mxb2 wrote:
I and everyone else use Substance X3 for motocross decal vinyl and laminate. Graphics are like break pads. They wear out depending on how you ride. I design my own graphics, and my own graphics wear out in the same spot this guy is talking about. Guess who takes a razor blade to the track every day? Me.

My favorite is when people shit talk the company I use for my printing supplier, and tell me how awesome my stickers stay on. I wanna say hey...it’s the same thing.
Mike68
10/20/2019 8:06pm
I had the same problem. Try putting a bead of crazy glue along the edges of your graphics. This worked for me.
ktmwoods
10/20/2019 8:17pm
believe it or not, mask the primary corner and use a GENEROUS coating of clear coat spray, works very well to eliminate the exposed edge.
White_jake
Fantasy
190th
10/20/2019 8:26pm
Clear grip tape over the corner of the graphic works well
reded
10/21/2019 2:49am
GODZILLA wrote:
langhammx wrote:
These will fix your problem.... 2 sets of backgrounds will pay for them, not to mention the time to re-apply them. No brainer for me. There’s...
2 sets of backgrounds will pay for them, not to mention the time to re-apply them. No brainer for me.
There’s a guy on here that was importing them, it’ll save you the international shipping costs.
This is the only permanent solution.
gavinmgrant
10/21/2019 3:06am
GODZILLA wrote:
langhammx wrote:
These will fix your problem.... 2 sets of backgrounds will pay for them, not to mention the time to re-apply them. No brainer for me. There’s...
reded wrote:
This is the only permanent solution.
Riding without side panels...
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
10/21/2019 3:50am
It happens on the KTM's bad. We developed a solution but where informed we were infringing on a patent. That company has since released their product.... The cmt products work but we made ours clear so you could see through them, I don't like the black...

We use Substance as well and it is hands down the best material you can use for our application.

It doesn't matter what boots you wear either, we have seen it with all brands. My son wears SG12's, but like I say I have seen it on all brands.

Taylor415
10/21/2019 6:00am
I put contact cement under the edge and that took care of it.
r.sal923
10/21/2019 6:17am
motogrady wrote:
Put the numbers on.

First use 200 sand paper on plastic under the sticker. Find that it almost bonds to the etching
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
10/21/2019 7:02am
Cortami79 wrote:
Which brand of boots do you have?
i think there is faulty link between bars and pegs. I wouldn't blame the boots though. Laughing

Post a reply to: Tired of # plate graphics coming off

The Latest