Tire Suggestions---Chunking Problem

Tracktor
So I posted this in Tomac thread but had already thought about starting a separate one-

I am running into this with my older boy. He is just a local fast B rider. He can destroy a rear tire in a couple of rides. Fronts take just a few longer. I have tried multiple brands and compounds. Changed air pressure. Doesn't matter if hardpack or sand. ExampIe- had a few rides on a set on my KX250f and they were wearing well. One practice day of him riding it on a pure sand track and knobs coming off. Dunlops have been worst so far he has stripped the majority of knobs off of a couple of those within a few rides. Getting kind of expensive..
We've ran-
Goldentyre
Dunlop
Michelin
Bridgestone (best so far)

Might try Pirellis. Mostly run an Int/Soft tire here in the NW..............

|
brody
1/18/2019 1:25pm
get a tire for hard pack the compound is stronger.
i have had good luck with the brigestone and the dunlop for hard pack( forget what its called)
cody41
1/18/2019 4:50pm
Michelin Starcross 5 intermediate. I’d say this is the best tire I have used. I race A class and it has held up the best and has good bite
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/18/2019 4:52pm
X2 on the hardpack tire. Knobbies that are intended for soft or even intermediate terrain often have a harder durometer rating (meaning they are harder rubber.) Hardpack tires are softer, and while they wear faster, they will last longer from a knob-coming-off-the-carcass-lifetime standpoint.
1/18/2019 4:57pm
I’ve had really good luck with Bridgestone X40s. They last a long time and work well in a wide variety of track conditions.

The Shop

Tracktor
1/18/2019 5:19pm
I’ve had really good luck with Bridgestone X40s. They last a long time and work well in a wide variety of track conditions.
Yep, they have been best so far for us also. I've also considered just finding cheapest crap tires I can since he usually doesn't even complain about it nor seem to slow him down all that much, lol........
1/18/2019 5:23pm
To soft of a compound or low pressures can cause chunking/knob tear. I have found that bumping up pressures can help a bit but most of the time its wrong compound tyre/ground match.
paddyB745
1/18/2019 8:05pm
As far as durability I haven’t found anything that lasts longer for me than a Kenda washougal. For sand the southwick works really well and lasts a long time as well. Just my 2 cents.
1/18/2019 8:08pm
bridgestone x30's . For me, i can easily go 20 hours on a rear tire and 40+ on a front tire. I've never had a bridgestone chunk, but have had plenty of dunlops chunk.
swtwtwtw
1/18/2019 10:01pm
Funny, I’ve haven’t had a Dunlop chunk and with flipping the rear I get 15-16 hours out of them 50/50 race then practice. I , also have found running the correct or recommended tire pressure works best. So for a mx33 that is 13psi. Pirellis are decent too, but 11 psi for them. SoCal tracks. Definitely not as hard pack as washougal.
Skids
1/18/2019 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2019 10:33pm
Mitas C-18 Red for the rear. Soft/Int tyre that works just as well on Intermediate and Int/Hard. Basically a spec tyre compared to the other typical suggestions and you WILL NOT throw knobs.
chump6784
1/19/2019 1:22am
I've found the softer pirelli tires to tear the side knobs on the front. Even had an mx extra tear the front knobs after a couple rides.
I've found Bridgestone to be the most durable out of pirelli, bridgestone and dunlop
downard254
1/19/2019 2:00am
I’ve always loved Dunlop’s 752 and 952 tires, if you can find any leftovers.
walent215
1/19/2019 3:10am
Tracktor wrote:
Yep, they have been best so far for us also. I've also considered just finding cheapest crap tires I can since he usually doesn't even complain...
Yep, they have been best so far for us also. I've also considered just finding cheapest crap tires I can since he usually doesn't even complain about it nor seem to slow him down all that much, lol........
That would be my program x10
1/19/2019 6:22am
cody41 wrote:
Michelin Starcross 5 intermediate. I’d say this is the best tire I have used. I race A class and it has held up the best and...
Michelin Starcross 5 intermediate. I’d say this is the best tire I have used. I race A class and it has held up the best and has good bite
Agree i finally changed my front. Not from visual wear. Still looked great. For piece of mind never had a front go 25 hours. Also holds a line great.
Tracktor
1/20/2019 8:17am
downard254 wrote:
Don’t I wish. When they discontinued the 752 I bought up as many as I could years ago. Long gone now... I also liked the 990? I think it was? .....
biscuit11
1/20/2019 8:38am
Dumb question, is it legal to use chemicals in the tires?? Id imagine its not legal just curious.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
1/20/2019 8:55am
Our tyres are sponsored so we have the privilege of running new whenever we need to. The prefered tyre for hardpack ( for excellent performance) is our intermediate which literally falls apart after an hour.

If you are a serious contender then choose your tyre for ultimate performance and put a fresh one on for all your motos. The used tyres then become practice tyres.

If you'r on a tight budget then pick your tyre accordingly. There are a bunch of brands that have good crossovers, performance and longevity.

Man, this sport is brutal....on the pocket.
4csHATER
1/20/2019 9:38am
TRY HI-point m-15/16 combo 100$ for a set
VetMX.com
1/20/2019 10:14am
downard254 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
Don’t I wish. When they discontinued the 752 I bought up as many as I could years ago. Long gone now... I also liked the 990...
Don’t I wish. When they discontinued the 752 I bought up as many as I could years ago. Long gone now... I also liked the 990? I think it was? .....
I still have 5 rear 752s but need to find some fronts. Best tire ever for TX tracks like Rio.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
1/20/2019 10:47am
VetMX.com wrote:
I still have 5 rear 752s but need to find some fronts. Best tire ever for TX tracks like Rio.
Note that tyres have a shelf life. The rubber ages and becomes more prone to ripping/chunking/knobs tearing off etc.
cwtoyota
1/20/2019 1:09pm
Tracktor wrote:
Yep, they have been best so far for us also. I've also considered just finding cheapest crap tires I can since he usually doesn't even complain...
I don't buy Dunlop anymore because they chunk in just a few laps on a hard-packed Washougal.
I have had the best luck with the Bridgestone X30 and X40 in traction and durability.
The old 403/404 was a little tougher, but didn't perform quite as well and they don't make those anymore.

Buy a couple at a time and get a spare wheel, do a few races on the new tire and then put it on the practice wheel.

What tire pressure are you running. With the Bridgestones I tend to be between 12.5 and 13.5.
If you're running too high, knob chunking is more likely. At a sandy track like Area-51, you can go 12.0 psi.
I run the lighter end of the heavy-duty tubes and plenty of Talc based foot powder in there. Check it EVERY moto, it will change a few PSI throughout the day.

Which tracks are you guys riding?
Some tracks around here really chew through tires. Straddleline has changed (I haven't been there in 2 years) but it used to be the worst on tires by far with all the rocks. Riverdale can be hard on bikes and tires when it's really wet or really dry, probably because of the sharp grains of the volcanic ash. I don't ride Monroe, or Hannigan very often, but they are fairly rough on tires too.

Could also be riding style. If he squares turns up and dumps the clutch, he probably goes through a lot more tires. I used to do that in every corner when I was young.
Tracktor
1/20/2019 8:10pm
cwtoyota wrote:
I don't buy Dunlop anymore because they chunk in just a few laps on a hard-packed Washougal. I have had the best luck with the Bridgestone...
I don't buy Dunlop anymore because they chunk in just a few laps on a hard-packed Washougal.
I have had the best luck with the Bridgestone X30 and X40 in traction and durability.
The old 403/404 was a little tougher, but didn't perform quite as well and they don't make those anymore.

Buy a couple at a time and get a spare wheel, do a few races on the new tire and then put it on the practice wheel.

What tire pressure are you running. With the Bridgestones I tend to be between 12.5 and 13.5.
If you're running too high, knob chunking is more likely. At a sandy track like Area-51, you can go 12.0 psi.
I run the lighter end of the heavy-duty tubes and plenty of Talc based foot powder in there. Check it EVERY moto, it will change a few PSI throughout the day.

Which tracks are you guys riding?
Some tracks around here really chew through tires. Straddleline has changed (I haven't been there in 2 years) but it used to be the worst on tires by far with all the rocks. Riverdale can be hard on bikes and tires when it's really wet or really dry, probably because of the sharp grains of the volcanic ash. I don't ride Monroe, or Hannigan very often, but they are fairly rough on tires too.

Could also be riding style. If he squares turns up and dumps the clutch, he probably goes through a lot more tires. I used to do that in every corner when I was young.
Yeah, Bridgestones have been best for us so far. We ride pretty much everywhere you listed. Live in the hills north of Battle Ground. We have a pretty decent backyard track plus a couple of FMX ramps that my boys hit often. At first I chalked it up to that which I know can be part of it but definitely not all of the problem. Our track has rock in spots also but again it happens everywhere.
He is a pretty aggressive rider but not some amazing fast rider. I’ve tried a pretty largecrange of pressures especially after having a couple different tire reps tell me it was because 12-13 was too low for their tires. Yeah, not.
We will stick with Bridgestones for now. I appreciate all the input from everyone. It’s been a running joke in our group of riders. Makes him getting a test ride on someone elses bike kinda tough, lol.
barnett468
1/20/2019 8:27pm
cody41 wrote:
Michelin Starcross 5 intermediate. I’d say this is the best tire I have used. I race A class and it has held up the best and...
Agree i finally changed my front. Not from visual wear. Still looked great. For piece of mind never had a front go 25 hours. Also holds...
Agree i finally changed my front. Not from visual wear. Still looked great. For piece of mind never had a front go 25 hours. Also holds a line great.
changed it from what?
1/20/2019 8:47pm
cody41 wrote:
Agree i finally changed my front. Not from visual wear. Still looked great. For piece of mind never had a front go 25 hours. Also holds...
barnett468 wrote:
changed it from what?
Starcross 5 intermediate to a new starcross 5 intermediate. Best front and rear I've ever used.
barnett468
1/20/2019 9:02pm
barnett468 wrote:
changed it from what?
Starcross 5 intermediate to a new starcross 5 intermediate. Best front and rear I've ever used.
so your previous starcross 5 medium front had no visible wear and only around 25 hours on it and you installed a new starcross 5 medium front and noticed a definite improvemet in grip with it?

1/20/2019 9:51pm
barnett468 wrote:
changed it from what?
barnett468 wrote:
so your previous starcross 5 medium front had no visible wear and only around 25 hours on it and you installed a new starcross 5 medium...
so your previous starcross 5 medium front had no visible wear and only around 25 hours on it and you installed a new starcross 5 medium front and noticed a definite improvemet in grip with it?

No I haven't rode with it yet.
Jrewing
1/20/2019 9:54pm
Does anyone look at the rim scrub to determine pressure
1/20/2019 10:09pm
Now days we like the Maxxis Desert IT in the 120 rear, coupled with a Bridgestone Ultra HD tube. The Desert IT has strong side wall with good contact patch flex with that tube you can run lower such as 10 PSI with out fear of a pinch flat. Washougal, Eddieville, Riverdale, Hoodriver single track, Trask etc.

Bought me a stack 756's back in the day, they were soft and chunked , but man the traction was good. But that was back when I was young racing open x getting lapped by Shane Watts, Jason Raines, Destry Abbott, even though I started 1 row behind them. Good times.
swtwtwtw
1/20/2019 10:28pm
Jrewing wrote:
Does anyone look at the rim scrub to determine pressure
Yup.

Post a reply to: Tire Suggestions---Chunking Problem

The Latest