Tips on selling bikes

Drakep2
Ok so I've been trying to sell quite a few bikes lately but Id like to know a better way. I usually use Craigslist and some Facebook groups and I am very thorough and honest with my descriptions. All 4 of my bikes have been in really good condition and I listed them as what I thought I would pay for them.

It's just seems that you can't do that. When I first started looking into the market I noticed a lot of bikes priced wayyyy higher than they should have been. I just blew it off as they don't know too much. But maybe by pricing them so high they actually get the amount they really want out of the bike.

As for when I posted my bikes for the actual amount I wanted, all I got was low balls usually 10-20% less than asking price.

I was just wondering if there were any tips or tricks to selling. Thanks Smile
|
Drakep2
6/28/2016 1:22pm
Drakep2 wrote:
Ok so I've been trying to sell quite a few bikes lately but Id like to know a better way. I usually use Craigslist and some...
Ok so I've been trying to sell quite a few bikes lately but Id like to know a better way. I usually use Craigslist and some Facebook groups and I am very thorough and honest with my descriptions. All 4 of my bikes have been in really good condition and I listed them as what I thought I would pay for them.

It's just seems that you can't do that. When I first started looking into the market I noticed a lot of bikes priced wayyyy higher than they should have been. I just blew it off as they don't know too much. But maybe by pricing them so high they actually get the amount they really want out of the bike.

As for when I posted my bikes for the actual amount I wanted, all I got was low balls usually 10-20% less than asking price.

I have SC1 but it never hit me to use it Shocked
Bruneval
6/28/2016 1:23pm
Biggest tip I would give is to put the bike back to stock as much as you can. No prospective owner wants to look at it and see someone else's taste heavily stamped all over it - just like when you are shown a property. Stock plastics, graphics, grips, the OEM look sells best in my opinion. Also allows you to sell any aftermarket stuff for additional $.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/28/2016 1:35pm
Sad part is that its a buyers market in the dirt bike world and lots of bikes to choose from so the high priced bikes dont sell or they will only get a low ball offer. Sad
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/28/2016 1:59pm
Get em real clean and yes use wd40. Now take some good pictures, if you don't know anything about photography do some reading. I promise you, a few hours studying photography will pay off in the long run.
But it sounds like your biggest problem is asking what you want. Nobody pays asking price on craigslist, they want a "deal" even if it ain't really a deal. Ask an extra 10 to 20% more than you'll take on a bike.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/28/2016 2:00pm
Also, bikes sell better during spring. Come fall/winter.... good luck.
MXMattii
6/28/2016 2:07pm
Let a girl help you, they distract the buyer from eventual downsides on the bike...
TX_187
6/28/2016 2:30pm
I agree with the clean stock look. Take pictures showing how clean the bike is. I.e. air box, frame, plastic, etc... Ask a little more than what you expect to get. Gotta have some wiggle room.
Spooner
6/28/2016 2:34pm
I've found that just getting the bike super clean seems to help the most. I will pull all the plastic off, subframe, whatever, and make it look like new. If the plastic looks like crap I will toss on a new set and basic graphics. When people see a super clean bike they usually buy it because I can't count the amount of ads you see where the guy didn't even wash it after riding it last.
p0wn
6/28/2016 2:38pm
If you're getting lowball offers 10-20% below what you list either say '$xxxx firm' or price the bike 10-20% higher than the lowest you'll go.
MMCDan
6/28/2016 2:59pm
I always trade them in on a new bike and let the dealer handle re-sale. I usually get within $500 to $750 of the lowest price I would have accepted anyway plus I don't have to deal with the CL sale process (e.g., lowball offers, scams, no-shows, etc.). Also, the dealer inherits the liability for any future issues with the used bike so I don't have to deal with the buyers remorse that sometimes comes with a private party sale.
mx317
6/28/2016 3:57pm
Clean, clean and then clean some more!! Shine sells! New plastic, grips and new or very good tires will catch their eye. As a previous poster suggested, sell all the aftermarket parts (like pipes) separate.
motosmith
6/28/2016 4:12pm
Don't take photos in direct sun. Clouds / overcast or shade is the best light.
6/28/2016 4:27pm
You should post a pic up of what you're trying to sell.

But I agree with everyone else's opinion here: super clean and SC1. No Monster claws or disco graphics. And price it 10-20% over as suggested and let the buyer come down that 10-20% (or say that the price is firm but I think pricing up and coming down makes most buyers feel better).

Make sure there's no ratty bits on the bike. A bald tire on an otherwise nice bike sends the wrong message to the potential buyer. No leaks, no spooge.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/28/2016 4:45pm
Someone mentioned get them back to stock or close to it and that is great advice. I always price my bikes/cars so that they are very fair priced and they always go quick. It's not worth a few bucks for me to deal with buyers for months on end.

Craigslist attracts a lot of scammers and low ballers. I sell most high dollar bikes/cars on auto and cycle trader. You get serious buyers on there compared to Craigslist browsers
chump6784
6/28/2016 5:22pm
Definitely add 10-20%.when I'm looking at bike prices and see $xxxx firm I think to myself Yeah right. People never expect to pay sticker price. Stock graphics and pipe is a big one for me when looking at two strokes. If the pipe has very few marks on it and graphics are original it gives the impression of low hours, hence why some people change plastics and graphics straight away
bangmyhead
6/28/2016 5:43pm
Pick the best asshole with the highest bid and give it away
Drakep2
6/28/2016 7:22pm

It's an 03 xr100r, brand new tires, seat cover, and hand guards. I keep very good care of my bikes. I think the graphics are scaring people off. I let some local graphics company do it for me. The bike was only meant for around the yard so I wasn't particular with the graphics and let them do whatever they wanted.
6/28/2016 7:24pm
Drakep2 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/28/141430/s1200_image.jpg[/img] It's an 03 xr100r, brand new tires, seat cover, and hand guards. I keep very good care of my bikes. I think the graphics are...

It's an 03 xr100r, brand new tires, seat cover, and hand guards. I keep very good care of my bikes. I think the graphics are scaring people off. I let some local graphics company do it for me. The bike was only meant for around the yard so I wasn't particular with the graphics and let them do whatever they wanted.
Peel those graphics off!!!
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/28/2016 7:25pm
Drakep2 wrote:
Ok so I've been trying to sell quite a few bikes lately but Id like to know a better way. I usually use Craigslist and some...

Woah, ok. New graphics 1.
2. Roll her outside in the grass to take the picture. Don't be afraid to get down low.
Bman_145
6/28/2016 7:53pm
Bruneval wrote:
Biggest tip I would give is to put the bike back to stock as much as you can. No prospective owner wants to look at it...
Biggest tip I would give is to put the bike back to stock as much as you can. No prospective owner wants to look at it and see someone else's taste heavily stamped all over it - just like when you are shown a property. Stock plastics, graphics, grips, the OEM look sells best in my opinion. Also allows you to sell any aftermarket stuff for additional $.
This is the best advice. Stock look sells every time.

For pictures, make sure they are high-res enough to show detail. Make sure the bike is framed correctly within the shot and make sure there is no crap around it. Take shots from the front, each side, and add in a few detailed ones if there is anything special on the bike. Bad pictures can make people think youre trying to hide something or are just really lazy.
6/28/2016 8:00pm
Whoa dude. OK. That's why I wanted the pic.

Pull those graphics ASAP. Honestly, I think I'll put the hand guards too but offer them up to the potential buyer.

The graphics make it look like you rode through a burning building. It'll look great once that's gone.

I totally agree with others that you need a clean background and nice pics too.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
6/28/2016 8:18pm
Ditch the graphics, bark busters and crossbar pad. Get stock shroud graphics put on it, new grips and you will sell it straight away. Did you paint the ignition cover? Looks like a grey cast paint. May be the picture looks that way. If you painted it, strip it off. People get leery if it looks like things have been painted to cover up flaws.

Stock rocks in the looks department to buyers. Plus, don't oversell it in your description. "Really fast bike", "Pulls hills like a banshee" etc. run people off. Less is better in descriptions.
6/28/2016 8:20pm
I thought that thing had been in a fire...Now put in the ad how it was garage queen, wife ridden or drops panties and the joy riders will start showing up. Good luck man.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/28/2016 9:41pm
First question, is that really a Honda or is it a Chinese copy ?
6/28/2016 11:20pm
Clean the bike. That's all. I just picked up a 82 yz100 yesterday and the bike was unbelievably filthy. Motor was covered in thick oily dirt. Shit, most of the bike was in similar shape to the motor. There was dirt in all the crevices and it was the kind of shit that you know had been there for quite some time. Pressure washed it when I got home but that wasn't enough. Spent 2 hours tonight scrubbing that son of a bitch with a toothbrush and scraping away the hard stuff with a small screw driver. It cleaned up well and everything looks good for a 34 year old bike. Had the previous owner cleaned it up he could have asked more for it. Another hot tip. Make sure the parts that are on the bike actually belong to the bike. The clutch perch is off some street bike so it has the desired blinker option and a horn button that doubles as the kill switch. The lever isn't what came with the perch either. It was one of those fine stamped chrome levers off of who knows what. Even though it's very third world it actually pulls really nice. So clean off all the oil and dirt. Make sure everything is right then hammer on some SC1. Ready for craigslist.

Rotaholic
6/28/2016 11:24pm
Clean the bike as best you can, then take amazing photos, all the bikes are the same with the same price and same description, you have to have the best looking photos because normally that's all they are going off. Treat it like tinder haha
Heres my bike I just sold, there was a lot listed and still are, mine sold straight away and its close to bone stock

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1087340977
6/28/2016 11:30pm
Ok, just noticed you got a picture of your bike. I was to quick to get that shit off my chest and didn't read past the name of the thread. I'm kinda wondering the same thing as FGR01 and peel the graphics off the bike. It will look better with out them.

Post a reply to: Tips on selling bikes

The Latest