Tips for getting sponsored?

MZ193
Hi, i'm wondering how some (not so fast) guys can get sponsorship from little local shops or even famous brand (nolan, gaerne). I'm an italian 17th boy, here in italy mx racing levels are a bit different compared to the US. We have regional, interregional and italian campionship. Also for this three championships there are 3/4 subclasses. Amateur (A, B, C groups) Sport (A, B ) Expert (A) and Master (only A group usually, they are the fastest guys and there arent many lile them..).
This year i raced interregional Ama class, always qualifying in A group, ending some races on the podium, and ending the championship 11th of 207 riders (most of them arr between 21 and 29 yo). In 2019 i'm going to racing in sport class.
Let's get to the point, i see many riders of my class having some little sponsor by local shops even if they're slow af.. How should i approce to get a sponsor? Should i use a bròchure? Or I dont know. Any tips are apprecciated.
|
FIREfish148
12/25/2018 11:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/25/2018 11:23pm
Buy a decent enclosed trailer take a pic with you, your bike, and trophies around it, and have the trailor in the backround. Include the pic on your resume.
12/26/2018 3:54am
MZ193 wrote:
Hi, i'm wondering how some (not so fast) guys can get sponsorship from little local shops or even famous brand (nolan, gaerne). I'm an italian 17th...
Hi, i'm wondering how some (not so fast) guys can get sponsorship from little local shops or even famous brand (nolan, gaerne). I'm an italian 17th boy, here in italy mx racing levels are a bit different compared to the US. We have regional, interregional and italian campionship. Also for this three championships there are 3/4 subclasses. Amateur (A, B, C groups) Sport (A, B ) Expert (A) and Master (only A group usually, they are the fastest guys and there arent many lile them..).
This year i raced interregional Ama class, always qualifying in A group, ending some races on the podium, and ending the championship 11th of 207 riders (most of them arr between 21 and 29 yo). In 2019 i'm going to racing in sport class.
Let's get to the point, i see many riders of my class having some little sponsor by local shops even if they're slow af.. How should i approce to get a sponsor? Should i use a bròchure? Or I dont know. Any tips are apprecciated.
It is all about relationships. We have a local shop who I have worked hard to build and keep a good relationship with for over 15 years. We buy parts from the shop, I always go in and shake everyone's hand, I send people to buy from the shop and WE BUY PARTS FROM THE SHOP not just online. When it comes to company sponsorship, truth is, most people lie. They may get 10-15% off, but they want to be cool and act like they get huge discounts. Just remember, motocross companies and shops have very small profit margins. When they give you a discount, what does it really do for them? Ask yourself, how does them losing money on you bring them business. Keefer has a great podcast about this on iTunes.
12/26/2018 4:47am
Ask yourself how you can help drive business through that companies door. Can you help them make sales? If so, how and how much?

Once you’ve got the answers, go tell them.
kb228
12/26/2018 5:08am
Tip is to be good at advertising. Thats what sponsored riders are. Advertisements.

Go to every race with whatever companys logo on your trailer. Get that 10% off “sponsorship”

The Shop

racerx217
12/26/2018 5:58am
-go fast
-dont be a dick to others
-win at Loretta's
-join HookIt for all your typlical discount sponsorships
Rooster
12/27/2018 1:52am
Send a couple of dozen people you know to buy bikes from a local dealer and have them mention your name when doing so and you'll have no problem getting support. It's all about what you can offer them and not what they can offer you.

If you can sell $100,000 worth of product they'll be happy to give you a small chunk of it back. If you can only send $250 worth of business their way, then you can go pound sand for all they care.

For brand names, you need to win. They're building a brand name and they want to associate it with success/winning. Good luck with that.
philG
12/27/2018 3:56am
Most people who say they are sponsored, aren't sponsored.

Getting discount on stuff from your local dealer is 'help' .. top tip, if you want help from your local dealer, spend your money there. You wont get stuff for free off a guy you dont support.

Other ways are to start your own Team,, a few buddies get together, have all the same kit, graphics and look proper, not like some rabble that landed 10 mins before signup closed. People will want to be part of that look.

And finally, dont piss money up the wall on shit that doesnt matter. I have a road racer friend who is all over social media begging for cash to get to each race , but then 3 weeks later is all over Insta on a 2 week holiday with his mates.

I never got much help when i was younger, because i wasn't fast enough , but i have had good sponsors since we swapped to SM , not bought a bike since 2003, and have had ( and still get ) great bikes. I dont race for free, it still costs a lot with travel and tyres and the like, but we have a nice little team, and we have people who will pay to be part of it.Bring something, get something.

ga_pike
12/27/2018 5:18am
Create a resume. Highlight the races you've attended over the past 3-4 years so that the companies will see where you've been to give them some idea of how far your exposure will get them. Then, you'll want to put together a tentative schedule of your 2019 events... specifically any regional or national events outside your local races. You can include any local series you plan to compete in as well but it's important for them to see your plan to get their name out and about beyond your local sod farm.

Have a nice introductory cover letter that introduces who you are and make sure to include some of your accomplishments. If you finished 5th at a regional event and that was your best race, include it. It's not all about winning. A paragraph about what your plan is to improve and what exactly you are working towards. If you want to work to become a professional racer, say so... if you're doing this as a serious hobby, say so. Be honest about this.

Include a couple of photographs of yourself racing/riding and a head shot. If you have a trailer where you could include their logo, include this as well. Also include your social media accounts and if you don't have them, get them and start posting immediately. Build a following as quickly as possible and then make sure you plug your sponsors every time you post.

Companies are always looking for ways to get their name out. The farther you travel and more races you plan to hit, the better the opportunity for them to get their name into additional markets. Always get a list of your sponsors to the track announcer so he can mention them when you're on the track.

Good luck!
lumpy790
12/27/2018 6:03am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2018 6:03am
Send resumes during sponsorship season. For us it is after Loretta Lynns through October 31st.
NeKawBoy
12/27/2018 6:22am
When i still worked at a dealership we looked for racers that maintained a positive and professional image for themselves as well as their sponsors. In return we passed along special discounts we negotiated for preferred/team brands and offered oem parts at cost plus a small handling fee. It worked out well for us, it worked out well for the racers and it worked out well for the brands.
There have been a few great suggestions on here...here are some things that will get you nowhere with local shops:
Don't bounce from shop to shop chasing a few percentage points...loyalty at the local dealer will benefit you more in the long.
Don't wear brand/shop competitors gear...if you have a sponsorship with bran X, don't wear brand Y when you're out in public.I have let brands know in the past their racers do this.
Don't demonstrate poor sportsmanship...i seldom heard when a racer won but, i heard from everyone when they had a tantrum at the track.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you...mistakes can happen and telling everyone at the track the shop ordered you a wrong part or something went on backorder gets back to them in a hurry.

Best of luck getting a sponsorship...with the proper relationship a local shop will do more for you in the long run than any on-line discount service.

12/27/2018 7:19am
Motocross: the sport which the end goal is to have someone else paying for everything.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/27/2018 8:02am
Grow a set of boobs, post pics in sports bra and spandex riding shorts, gain IG followers and you'll be good to go!
mxpro252
12/27/2018 8:09am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Grow a set of boobs, post pics in sports bra and spandex riding shorts, gain IG followers and you'll be good to go!
X2. What a time to be a lady.
gt80rider
12/27/2018 8:14am
"Tips for getting sponsored?"

You only need one- WIN. It is that simple...
MZ193
12/27/2018 9:01am
gt80rider mattyhamz2 exclueded, thank you guys for the tips! Hope to receive more help from my local shop.. He always made me little discounts, hoping for bigger ones or for free stuff.
psg119
12/27/2018 9:05am
I'd say the number one thing as far as local race shops and local business owners is that you just can't be afraid to go out and ask. More people would be willing to help you go out and race than you think, whether it's small or large contributions. Some may start out small and if you help them out as well will grow larger. But don't forget the fact that having their sticker on your bike and/or transportation is advertising for them and they can (usually) write it off. Try to find business owners that are interested in racing as well. Usually auto shops (including radiator repair, oil maintenance, etc), or if it's anything like in California, a lot of construction companies. And be a nice kid. Make them proud to sponsor you whether the results are there for that weekend or not. You gotta be proud to rep them as well whether it's a huge corp or a janitorial company. They are helping you go racing. If you are looking for larger moto sponsors the only thing that is going to help you is knowing somebody if you're not the best result producer... but mainly just RESULTS. Go work hard off the bike and produce the podiums on the bike and you'll be good to go. And again, be a nice kid. I remember I was in my amateur days with the 50% off sponsorship from Shoei and showed up to my first pro race in the previous model. I got a 2nd place in race 1 of the weekend and the next day they brought me a brand new model for race 2 where I got 3rd. I didn't pay for a helmet after that day to go racing and even when I got out of it they would help me out for my moto helmets and such because I built relationships and made friends with the Shoei team of that time. Good luck in your racing and collecting your sponsors!
psg119
12/27/2018 9:13am
To add to what to what I said up above. Be ready for amounts to ask for from the local companies too and nothing outlandish. Say somehting like "Well I it would really be helpful if you can help pay for my fuel for the racing weekends which comes out to $1000" or "I need this amount for my mid-season rebuild" or whatever and a way to prove that. That way they don't feel like they are giving you unused money to blow. Because they will ask you what you need and will make them feel good knowing they can trust what you're telling them.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/27/2018 9:17am
MZ193 wrote:
gt80rider mattyhamz2 exclueded, thank you guys for the tips! Hope to receive more help from my local shop.. He always made me little discounts, hoping for...
gt80rider mattyhamz2 exclueded, thank you guys for the tips! Hope to receive more help from my local shop.. He always made me little discounts, hoping for bigger ones or for free stuff.
Just throwing in some somewhat true humor. Hook it will be one of your best bets. And talk to local shops. Grow your following on social media.
psg119
12/27/2018 9:26am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Hey sometimes you just gotta throw on your thong and white tee and give your clean bike a good wash.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/27/2018 9:30am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
Hey sometimes you just gotta throw on your thong and white tee and give your clean bike a good wash.
That's what I'm saying dude! Screw sandals or shoes too. Gotta either go barefoot or throw on some heels. You know, because that's how people wash bikes properly..
barnett468
12/27/2018 9:32am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2018 9:33am
Lots of good suggestions above so I don't have much to add.

For the companies that sponsor people, it is all about getting something in return as was suggested. For them to have any chance of getting something in return, others must know who your sponsors are. One way is to have the sponsors name plastered all over your clothes and bike and trailer etc, instead of just having a tiny 2" long sticker somewhere on your bike. This way it will not only be easier for people at the race to see it, it will be easier to see it if you get your photo in the paper etc.

You can tell the people you are trying to get sponsored by that you will plaster their name all over your stuff or even get a jersey made that has their name on it etc. You can also suggest that you can hand out flyers at the races. On these flyers, the shop might offer a 10% discount for the first $100.00 and one discount per customer or something.

philG
12/27/2018 9:33am
A good friend of mine ran Superbikes here in the UK, who i helped out on occasion, at the highest level,he had loads and loads of small sponsors, £1k here, £5k there, a few £10k's , and they all used to bring others along, and it snow balled, to a point where we had so many it got to be hard to manage.

Then we stopped comping tickets, as it was costing a bomb, and if folk didnt come , it was a waste of money. And catering became a full time job for 3 people.. we had a hospitality tent , and a full lunch package on race day for guests, when the Factory Yamaha team were running out of a converted horsebox.

But the more that came, the more we picked up, we started refunding folk that paid to get in, and asking for people to mail with catering requirements so we werent wasting money folk were giving us, providing stuff that wasnt used.. and so it grew,

I worked a 3 night job back then , and used to help out, just for the fun of doing it at the shop, and local races. And off that the owner decided he wanted an MX bike to play on , which i sourced for him, and collected, with a deal that it would be my spare bike for the Nationals i was riding. He got a bike that was ready to go when he wanted it, and wasnt in the way when he didnt, and i got a free bike for a season.
gt80rider
12/27/2018 9:35am
MZ193 wrote:
gt80rider mattyhamz2 exclueded, thank you guys for the tips! Hope to receive more help from my local shop.. He always made me little discounts, hoping for...
So you are saying that winning won't help you get sponsored? Shouldn't winning races at least be your goal when sticking a hand out for sponsorship (financial assistance)?
psg119
12/27/2018 9:43am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That's what I'm saying dude! Screw sandals or shoes too. Gotta either go barefoot or throw on some heels. You know, because that's how people wash...
That's what I'm saying dude! Screw sandals or shoes too. Gotta either go barefoot or throw on some heels. You know, because that's how people wash bikes properly..
and don't forget, LOTS of slow-mo clips of the process as well. Sponsors love videos.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/27/2018 9:46am
psg119 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That's what I'm saying dude! Screw sandals or shoes too. Gotta either go barefoot or throw on some heels. You know, because that's how people wash...
psg119 wrote:
and don't forget, LOTS of slow-mo clips of the process as well. Sponsors love videos.
How could I forget that!! Probably why I only have a few sponsors LaughingLaughing
psg119
12/27/2018 9:49am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
How could I forget that!! Probably why I only have a few sponsors LaughingLaughing
Better get started it's not too late! You could be the next Axell.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/27/2018 9:50am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2018 9:50am
psg119 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
I need a video guy. You down?

I'll even wash your smoker
psg119
12/27/2018 9:51am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I need a video guy. You down? I'll even wash your smoker

I have an iphone 6 and a Hero 4. Let's do this.
ga_pike
12/27/2018 12:03pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I need a video guy. You down? I'll even wash your smoker

But will you wash his boots?

Post a reply to: Tips for getting sponsored?

The Latest